New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Tuesday 1/4 Game Thread

+8
1380TheSportsAnimal
chicagokid43
basketballtime
abball
nhhoopguy
Tuesday and Friday
Tulliver
EBlessNHSP
12 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Tuesday 1/4 Game Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: Tuesday 1/4 Game Thread

Post  Tulliver Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:23 am

Looks like all the Manchester boys teams brought home victories tonight. West over Alvirne.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  abball Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:26 am

looks like a close game assistant did you go to the alvirne game? the troubles still continue in Bronco Country.....its going to be a long season.

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:30 am

Yeah, somehow I get the feeling being a season ticket holder for Alvrine boy's basketball won't be nice this season. Alvrine's next 3 opponents are BG, Exeter and Trinity.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  abball Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:31 am

nope it should be a tough season....atleast the girls are doing well!!!

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:33 am

Bronco girls do have a good team. Purcell and Donovan can play with anybody.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  abball Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:38 am

They can and little Purcell who is a freshman is the starting point guard she is very good for her age and starting very impressive, they have a lot of role players too Carbone, Torres. Should be a good winter for them. Atleast i can look forward too one team doing well this winter!

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:48 am

OK, I just hit refresh 3 times on the NHIAA results section to make sure the Concord 55 Pinky 47 score wasn't a mistake. Does ANYBODY have any details on what is the UPSET so far this young basketball season????

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:53 am

Nope it was "Daddy Daycare" in the Assistants office tonight as the wife was getting her hair done. Alvirne will string a couple W's at some point. Tough matchups early on.

Alvirne girls will make some noise, I remember Purcell as a Frosh from my days in Hudson, good player as a Freshman, 4 yrs later she's really developed into a leader from what I've heard.

Last edited by The Assistant on Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:42 am; edited 1 time in total
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:58 am

I saw the older Purcell in a scrimmage with Campbell in the pre season. She does every thing well. Her shooting stroke is mechanically sound and smooth. She's a good ball handler and has a good control of the game. I think she's a viable POY candidate on the girl's side or at least a first or 2nd team All Stater.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:04 am

OK, I just heard Pinkerton fell behind by 23 points in the first half to Concord tonight and couldn't come back from the large deficit. I sense practice will not be for the feint of heart with Coach Rosinski tomorrow Evil or Very Mad

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  abball Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:31 am

she does she has one of the nicest shots i have seen for a girl in a while i would love too see who would win a shooting competiton her or donnelly!!!

But wow thats shocking news out of pinkerton 23! Someone was not taking there opponent seriously.

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:35 am

Yea, the 1st quarter must have been a chamber of horrors for the Astros.... sort of like how their practice will be tomorrow at the Pinkerton fieldhouse. Closed door practice any one ??

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopguy Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:45 am

pinkerton was losing to Concord 21-7 after one, 38-18 at half.
Had a comeback in third but deficit was too much.

Last edited by nhhoopguy on Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)

nhhoopguy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 1:56 am

Thanks for the update nhhoopguy.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Tuesday 1/4 Game Thread - Page 2 Empty Amhearst vs Miford game

Post  basketballtime Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:09 am

Let me start by saying i finally dragged my wife out to a game by baiting her into the old we can go to Giorgios after the game thing. By the way great food great drinks i will definitely be back there again. I arrived just in time to get a seat as there was only standing room before the game started. I was ready to see a well played fun matchup between to rivals and with the gym already rocking before tap off i was already into it before the tap. However i became quickly aware that this was not going to be what i was hoping for. I was very sorry to see a game where the officials let it get so out of control that i found myself holding my breath and hoping that nobody would get hurt. It started early in the game where Amhearst sent in a bench player and he started going at Mike Olaugling by throwing elbows at him all the way down the endline until connecting with a very dirty one right under Mike O's chin. And much to my suprise the ref called a double tech and that was just the beggining of a long and ugly night of basketfootball. I was very suprised that Mikey Mitchell did not leave this game on a stretcher. I saw him take numerous moving hip screens that were let go. I counted atleat 12 that were never called. I also saw him take vicous shots as he tried to get the rim and recieved no call? But the last one near the end of the game blew me away he had a clear path break away layup and an Amhearst player came from behind as he was going up high in the air and clearly shoved him in his hip while he was high in the air. Needless to say Mikey went flying into the gymnasiums wall at full speed and i thought to myself i hope this kid is alright? And then much to my suprise i watched waiting to see if the ref was going to dole out a break away foul or what not, but much to my dismay i saw the ref doing what appeared to be some sort of waving gesture that was quite foriegn to me and doing it with a big smile on his face? Nothing called not a thing? At that point i got up and left the gym with my wife because i did not want to see someone get hurt. I don't really bother much about the bad ref good ref thing but tonight i was truly dissapointed to see a game that apparently is now more about grabbing, holding, elbowing,hip checking and so on then it is about playing the game fairly? I hope someone from Milford gets in touch with the NHIAA because to me it's getting to the point where some kid will pay the price becuse of it and for that matter a team could pay the price by not getting the chance to win a title because of it and thats not right. One last thing i would hope that if i were a coach at Amhearst and saw this type of play going on i would nip it in the butt asap because there really is no place for it in baskeball and it would be even a bigger shame if this is what's being taught to kids in high school. Now with all that off my chest the steak tips at Giorgio's were to die for.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Tuesday 1/4 Game Thread - Page 2 Empty Not Physical Dirty at times...

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Jan 05, 2011 3:09 am

I have video that shows Souhegan is taught to get under the shooter which often causes injuries like the one that happened in Keene and almost again tonight in Milford. Anyone want to see?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:59 am

Nice game recap ChiKid...wow, what a game . Rolling Eyes

Are you asking if we want to see a video of a Souhegan coach instructing a player how to defend an opponent so they can potentially injure him? Then NO we don't want to see it, because I guarantee it does not exist.

You know, the NHIAA is a non-for profit organization that I'm sure has a phone number, email address and mailing address. You might actually want to take your gripes with the referees up with the local Ref chapter, since they govern the officials, not the NHIAA (I'm fairly certain - T&F?), Their website can be found here: http://www.storesonline.com/site/iaabo32

The one part of your recap I did enjoy was the Giorgios mention - lived in Nashua for 5 years, was a staple on date night with the wife. Both food and drink are top notch, and affordable.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  1380TheSportsAnimal Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:17 am

There's no way Mike Heany instructs his players to injure anyone. I called Souheagan v Portsmouth twice last season, and his team played hard and tough, but with sportsmanship and class. I wish I could say that for EVERY team.
1380TheSportsAnimal
1380TheSportsAnimal
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:24 am

I see ChiKid is once again trying to become friends with more people at the NH High School basketball party Very Happy

Even with video it is very difficult to prove players are intentionally trying to injure opponents because of the speed and the way basketball is played. Bodies are flying in control and out of control when players are running, jumping, stopping and starting. Could there be a mental attempt by a player to be over physical with an opponent which turns into a physical event? Absolutely. It is an incredible fine line of being physical and attempting to injure because of the competitive nature of the game. One only has to look at the NFL where 25K fines are happening on a weekly basis as defensive players are launching themselves at the RBs and receivers. If you talk to the offensive people they say the defenders are attempting to injure. If you talk to the defenders they say they are just trying to do their job and the league is becoming mamby pamby.

So, if you feel you have video evidence of a team, coach or player trying to intentionally injure some one then go right ahead and send the video to NHIAA. Forget about sending it to the governing body of officials in NH. If they listened to every disgruntled fan or watched every disgruntled video (Just coming out of Milford) or any other town, their agenda would be clogged like a back logged courthouse.

Your choice ChiKid. You could be the only one at the NH high school basketball party.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Tuesday 1/4 Game Thread - Page 2 Empty Dirty play.

Post  basketballtime Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:38 am

I have been to and played enough games in my life to know when something is just a cheap and when it is consistant and last nights game i kept seeing constant cheap shots going on and like i mentioned in post last night there is no place for it. If you were there or can get a vidieo of it you will clearly see my point. The elbowing and cheap shots that Amhearst was dishing out were uncalled for, the grabbing and holding and illegal moving screens i saw was so consistant you would have to say it was either taught or allowed by a coach or coaches. Like i said last night i don't bother with refs much but last night was dissapointing to me as a basketball fan i don't like to see the game being played like that and i certainly don't ever want to see a kid get injured because of it. If anyone would like to see a copy of the game to see for themselves i'm sure Chikid would be willing to make a deal for one. But as for me i don't ever want to see a game like that again and i hope that message gets out to the Amhearst staff, kids and parents because THERE IS NO PLACE FOR IT IN BASKETBALL!!!

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 am

Office Hours: Monday - Friday: 8:00 am - 4:30 pm Contact us at: info@nhiaa.org
R. Patrick Corbin - Executive Director
251 Clinton Street Concord, NH 03301 Phone: 603.228.8671 Fax: 603.225.7978

Here's all the information you need B-balltime and ChiKid.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:55 am

I was not at the game - but it would be interesting to hear a someone from the Souhegan side chime in. Maybe Thomas will swing by the board today at some point. I will not comment on whether there wasn't hard fouls, dirty pay or questionable officiating, since I was not there, but I will say this...these two teams are rivals. Everything is raised a notch during these types of games. You go for the ball a little harder, you make sure the opponent doesn't get an easy layup a little more often, you swipe at the ball with a little more authority. I'm not saying its right, but with adrenaline, these things happen. This type of game had more adrenaline then say Milfords win over John Stark.

Here's NH HS Sports Recap: http://www.nh-highschoolsports.com/souhegan-valley/milford-boys-hang-on-to-beat-souhegan#more-2984

After reading this article and reading how proud Heany was with his teams effort and performance, it's pretty clear he was happy with how they played. I guarantee Mike would not be coaching these kids to intentionally hurt another player.

Nashua Telegraph Recap: http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/sportshighschoolsports/904306-221/milford-boys-hold-off-pesky-souhegan-in.html

Maybe the media won't say whether a game was dirty - but it's not uncommon to read beat writers reference "tough play" or "physical play" within their column. Haven't seen that yet from anything I read.

I guess I'm looking for some unbiased (no offense Milford supporters - you're entitled to your opinion of the game) thoughts on the game, so far from the game recaps I've read what we had in Milford last night was a very good game between what is probably two of the top 3 or 4 teams in the State (maybe top 2?) that basically went down to the wire and was won at the free throw strip (Milford went 6-6 down the stretch).

So while the Milford base might want to focus on the physicality of Souhegan, the bottom line is the Spartans pulled out a win against a very tough opponent on what was not their best night. They found a way to pull together, amongst a bad shooting night, turnover night and all while getting what appears to be a few jabs in the ribs throughout the night. A good team win they won't soon forget and will be able recall when they go play Souhegan in Amherst on Feb 4.

I'm realizing my post yesterday was inaccurate b/c these squads play twice this season. Potential for FOUR games between these two clubs this year, 3 of which would be recognized by the NHIAA.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tuesday 1/4 Game Thread - Page 2 Empty Take off the blinders and look at the whole picture...

Post  Thomas Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:09 am

Sorry that you felt like you had to "leave the game", mr. basketballtime, you missed the rest of a good one. I saw plenty of fouling from both sides in last night's game, including two separate instances where a Milford player(he had clearly lost his composure) two handed shoved a Souhegan player during a dead ball which is grounds for a technical or an ejection. I also saw a Souhegan post player go straight up for a defensive rebound under the hoop and get two handed shoved in the back(by the same player) so that he landed out of bounds. Would that be classified as an "attempt to injure"? Could be...

In my estimation the reason for these irrational posts by the Milford people is that Milford isnt as strong as last year and Souhegan is better. As per my previous post, Milford CLEARLY misses McCallum - from Feb. last year to BST camp this summer he truly transformed himself into a stronger, more skilled college caliber player to his great credit - and that puts more pressure on the big three from Milford to have big games as their bench isn't great.

From what I saw, I don't think Souhegan is going away, and certainly a normal human reaction is to bow up and get defensive when someone is trying to take what is yours - in this case the division 2 state title. I think these posters thought that Pembroke or Pelham or Souhegan was just supposed to show up at Milford, be deferential and passive, lose by 30 and go home. That didn't happen last night, and now you are upset??? Wow...

Thomas
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:24 am

note to self: ...pencil Milford at Souhegan for Feb 4....leave house at noon, stop by local burger joint in Milford to listen to ChiKid and others breakdown how the rest of the day will play out...head to Amherst...get in line at the school around 3pm for game...stand in corner since I didn't get to school early enough to watch game.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Tuesday 1/4 Game Thread - Page 2 Empty raymond vs sanborn

Post  BeastMode2121 Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:06 pm

Raymond beat Sanborn 70-34, Starters played till half time

BeastMode2121
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down