New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Unique Basketball Situations

+6
EBlessNHSP
Bobcat
KG
chicagokid43
basketballtime
Tuesday and Friday
10 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty Unique Basketball Situations

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:33 pm

So, it seems like games might be few and far between this week with finals, storms and rescheduling. Well, we have to keep the basketball minds sharp, so how about going over Unique Basketball Situations.

This situation happened in a game last week and the potential situation was something I never experienced before on a basketball court:

The red team was inbounding the ball underneath the blue team's basket. The blue team is pressing full court. The red team's basket was 84 feet away. The ball is inbounded from red player to red player. The red player catches the ball 7 feet from the blue basket and shoots at the blue basket. Shot at the wrong basket. Just about all of us have seen this before, correct? It gets better. A red player rebounds the wrong shot miss and attempts another wrong basket shot. Noise and confusion are high as a 3rd red player rebounds the 2nd shot and attempts another wrong basket shot. As a 4th red player rebounds the ball the red team coach screams for a TO to rectify his team's shooting confusion. This was the most wrong basket shots I've ever seen in one sequence or in one game.

Now suppose during one of those 3 wrong shot attempts by the 3 red players a blue player fouled one of the red players in the act of shooting? What would the ruling on the court be and the resolution?

(Without looking at a rule/case book etc). If you don't feel like posting a public answer feel free to PM me and I'll let you know what your answer is.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty Not in the act of shooting

Post  basketballtime Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:41 pm

This is a guess but i would have say because it's the defenders basket it would not be considered a shooting foul therefore they would get the foul on the play but not a shooting foul?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty Act of Shooting...

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Jan 18, 2011 3:57 pm

I do not think it matters if it is the wrong hoop. Act of shooting is act of shooting. Unlike goal tending it does not matter if the shot had a chance to go in. It is a shot attempt and two shots should have been rewarded. Did the team do this on purpose? Were they trying to draw a foul? Or was it all just nervous energy run amuck?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty Re: Unique Basketball Situations

Post  KG Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:39 pm

i dont think it would be considered shooting because if you're on a drive to the hoop and throw it out towards your three point line away from the basket you're attacking i think they would probably call the foul and say it was on the pass right?

KG
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty Well what is the answer?

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Jan 18, 2011 7:49 pm

well whats the answer

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobcat Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:18 pm

Did the coach get a timeout prior to the 10 second violation?

Bobcat
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:19 pm

Geez, ChiKid..... Patience is a virtue. I wish I could've been surgically attached to the computer like you, but there was this stuff that fell from the sky today called snow..... well, you get the picture Razz

The answer:

By rule a shot attempt at the wrong basket is not considered a try, therefore there is not a shot attempt.....But if a player is fouled while attempting the wrong shot a foul is called on the opposing player. There is no 2 or 3 FTs for the wrong shot, but if the fouling team is over the limit, by rule you would go down to the other end to shoot 1 and 1 or double bonus. If there's no bonus situation the wrong shooting team would just inbound the ball nearest to where the foul occurred.

Now, if a player makes a basket at the wrong basket the 2 points is marked in the scorer's book as a mistake basket and is not credited to any one. A few years ago the rule was the nearest player from the opposing team would be credited with the 2 or 3 points, but it was changed to a mistake basket.

How about the scenario of some one attempting a shot at the wrong basket and a player on the other team drawing a charge. It would take an extemely quick and intelligent opposing player to draw a charge at their own basket. God knows this has happened some where at some HS basketball game in the USA.

The above scenario of 3 wrong shots happened at a travel girl's game. If there is a rule in the NHFS/IABBO rule book it is because something happened in a HS game some where at some time to warrant a new rule or rule interpretation to be instituted.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:22 pm

Bobcat, yes the coach got a TO at an 8 count.

Can you imagine turning the ball over on a 10 second count while you are attempting around 4 to maybe 5 shots at the wrong basket? I'm sure that's happened some where at some time in some HS basketball game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobcat Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:26 pm

If it is not considered a shot attempt, then does getting a rebound actually count as a rebound? I'm pretty sure a few years ago Ricky Davis did this in order to secure a triple double. Yes, he was so selfish that he shot at his own hoop to get his 10th rebound.

Bobcat
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:27 pm

Here is the Case Book ruling on the wrong shot/foul situation:

4.41.2 SITUATION: A1 becomes confused and throws the ball at the wrong
basket. A1 is fouled by B1 and the ball goes into the basket. Is this a successful

basket? If A1 missed, would A1 be awarded two free throws for the foul by B1?

RULING: No goal. The ball became dead when the foul occurred. When a player

throws at the opponent’s basket, it is not a try. If the team is in the bonus when

B1 fouled A1, A1 is given either a one-and-one attempt or two free throws at

Team A’s basket. If Team A was not in the bonus, then the ball is awarded to Team

A for a throw-in at the out-of-bounds spot nearest the foul. (7-5-4a)

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:29 pm

I remember that Ricky Davis selfish situation. The NBA rules are different than HS rules so I wouldn't know about the rebound aspect.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty What did i win?

Post  basketballtime Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:32 pm

Hey i was the fastest answer and got it right does that mean i get one of those special Milford burgers via Chikid?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:33 pm

Ask ChiKid. He always has an answer for everything.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:40 pm

"Did the team do this on purpose? Were they trying to draw a foul? Or was it all just nervous energy run amuck?"
ChiKid

To answer you ChiKid, it was, as you say, "nervous energy run amuck (amok)." This could be a key term to describe future games when some team turns the ball over a bit, has a run put on them by an opponent or a player takes a last second shot in a tie game with 8 seconds to go. I'll refer to all this as:

"Nervous energy run amok."

Got to love ChiKid.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty Rebounding the same.

Post  basketballtime Tue Jan 18, 2011 10:35 pm

You would have to believe that if it doesn't count as a shot then it wouldn't count as a rebound either. I would lean more towards a lose ball then anything else.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty The Prize is actually

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:17 pm

The prize for this trivia assignment was tickets to watch Portsmouth and Souhegan in Portsmouth on Friday with the one and only Chikid... Doubt I will get many takers on this invite. lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:24 pm

I'm sure some one from Souhegan would LOVE to sit with you at this game. Twisted Evil

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty With me or one me?

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Jan 18, 2011 11:40 pm

With or on? I am still unsure if I want to make that ride to Portsmouth. Wish it was in Souhegan it would be even more fun.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:29 am

You might see Sanborn doing this when they play Milford. No disrespect to my hometown club - but they do not belong in DII, it will be a bloodbath.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:57 am

Sanborn didn't do that well in D3 last year. Girls only had about a couple of wins. They moved up Sanborn to D2 this season. I talked to a couple of Sanborn girl's players at a scrimmage this past summer and asked them why they were going up to D2 when they only won a couple of games in D3 and they told me their enrollment went up so they were moved up because of it. The Sanborn boys are winless and are losing by an average of 30/game and the girls have 2 victories over D3 Raymond. When the girls play true D2 teams they have gotten pasted. The Sanborn girls have a funky schedule.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 19, 2011 10:40 am

Before I head out to face the elements of the weather here is another scoring/no scoring unique situation to mull over on another light basketball schedule day:

Red player is in front court and behind the 3 point line. The red player throws the ball to a team mate. The ball is legally touched by (A) a blue player who is in the 3 point area and (B) a blue player in the 2 point area. The ball continues in flight and goes through the red team's basket.

What is the ruling for (A) and (B) ?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty 3 pointer for both?

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:23 pm

Basket would be a three point score in both scenarios. Because in both scenarios the offensive guy touching the ball was behind the arc? This one is tricky though.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty On the other hand

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Jan 19, 2011 1:33 pm

On the other hand I will promise not to post this if it happens on youtube if I can just get a good call on a charge once in a while. I still think my son has committed more fouls this year with his chest than anything else. If a player is uprooted from the ground and sent strait back it is a charge.... right?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:57 pm

You are correct, ChiKid.

Score 3 points in both A and B because the ball was thrown by an offensive player from behind the 3 point arc.

Now, if the initial thrown ball by the red player was touched by a red player in the 2 point area and then the ball went in then score 2 points and not 3.

To answer your charge question, if the uprooted player had "legal guarding position" before being uprooted then it is a charge.

ART. 2 . . . To obtain an initial legal guarding position:
a. The guard must have both feet touching the playing court.
b. The front of the guard’s torso must be facing the opponent.
ART. 3 . . . After the initial legal guarding position is obtained:
a. The guard may have one or both feet on the playing court or be airborne,
provided he/she has inbound status.
b. The guard is not required to continue facing the opponent.
c. The guard may move laterally or obliquely to maintain position, provided it
is not toward the opponent when contact occurs.
d. The guard may raise hands or jump within his/her own vertical plane.
e. The guard may turn or duck to absorb the shock of imminent contact.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Unique Basketball Situations Empty Turn or Duck?

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:06 pm

You can actually draw a charge while turning or ducking? I have more to complain about now that before. lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next