New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

NHIAA staying with six divisions

+5
E.I.R.
D3Fan84
Tuesday and Friday
GNG
bumper
9 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

NHIAA staying with six divisions Empty NHIAA staying with six divisions

Post  bumper Tue Oct 11, 2011 3:45 pm

The word on the street is the NHIAA's football committee has released the Divisions (without possible petitions) for next year. It will remain in the six division format.

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA staying with six divisions Empty Re: NHIAA staying with six divisions

Post  GNG Tue Oct 11, 2011 5:12 pm

Thanks for the news bumper, even though it's a bummer.

I am starting to see why my friend T@F thinks the nhiaa is a joke , BECAUSE IT IS.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:42 pm

Granite State. Home of 6 HS football state champs. You have the chance of going to a football field in NH and having balloon shaped animals, juice boxes, face painting and a state championship plaque given to you.

Clowns to the left of me, NHIAA to the right, here I am. Stuck in the middle with you.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  D3Fan84 Tue Oct 11, 2011 7:02 pm

I've heard that next year's divisional alignment may feature some serious changes... including Salem to DII and Keene to DI because of enrollment sizes.

D3Fan84
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  bumper Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:27 pm

D3fan,

That is correct. The intitial divisions have Salem being the largest D2 school and Keene being the smallest D1. Schools have a week or so to petition and plead their case on classifications. Alot will be determined when BG and Trinity make their request to go up. I would think Salem will petition up as well.

Dlll Pelham goes back where they belong and Bedford is now a Dll team. Merrimack Valley and Kennett are in Dlll. These two teams, I am sure will petition down to D4. This would allow for West to petition down to 3 and it would be nice for Trinity to petition to 3.

On a side note the NHIAA set the baseball and softball division 1 cut off at 1000 students. This forces Portsmouth and Goffstown into D1 baseball.

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:01 pm

Portsmouth baseball to D1? It should be interesting to see how their winning streak plays out by playing a D1 baseball schedule.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  D3Fan84 Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:16 pm

Any predictions with what will happen in D1 and D2? I agree that MV (who I think already petitions down) and Kennett (D3 would be an AWFUL travel schedule) would petition down and Trinity and West would be easy additions to D3.
But D1/D2 will be interesting. With Salem moving down to D2 that leaves 2 teams who are likely to petition up to D1 (Salem and BG) with only one candidate to petition down (Keene). Who else might petition down to D2... Exeter? Maybe Concord? Would BG be denied their petition to move up?

My best guess is that the top 3 shape out like this....

D1- Pinky, South, Central, North, Memorial, Concord, Londonderry, Salem(petition up), BG (petition up).

D2- Keene (Petition down), Merrimack, Alvirne, Spaulding, Timby, Winny, Dover, Exeter (forced down to make room for BG), Bedford

D3- SHS, Portsmouth, G-Town, Trinity (petition up), West (petition down), HB, Milford, Conval, Pembroke

I don't love the idea of 6 divisions, but I can live with a D1 like the one listed above. Should be very little debate about who is the top team in the state and the top 3 divisions would be pretty competitive year in and year out.

D3Fan84
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. Tue Oct 11, 2011 11:56 pm

I don't feel like Exeter will be the team to move down.Not trying to start a fight or anything but I feel like they may try to stick it out up in D1 a while longer, especially with the success they are having this year.
Will BG move up? I'm not sure who makes the call, coach or AD, but either way it should be interesting. Coach Cote obviously has been there before, so I do not think he will mind petitioning up, but Mr. Johnson clearly DID NOT want to. Will he change his mind now that the team is not his? Or will he try to keep it in D2 where it will no doubt continue to dominate? Like I said, I will be interested to see that play out.
Salem petitions up, no doubt in my mind. If a team needs to go down to D2, maybe Londonderry? They have struggled in recent years, if my memory is correct.
Seems like this year's struggles will keep Souhegan in D3. I thought they were a team that should be in D2 until this year. Them and BG would be a fun game to watch, and a lot more local than Keene, Spaulding, and Dover.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  bumper Wed Oct 12, 2011 6:51 am

A team can not be forced to go up or down if their enrollment puts them in a certain division. i.e. Exeter could not be forced down. The only way to do this would be to change the enrollement numbers. That is not going to happen.

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:46 am

BG is petitioning up this year.

I have an idea why doesn't the NHIAA { NEW HAMPSIRE IDIOTS ATHLETIC ASSOCIATION} go to 25 divisions. That way 50 teams will finish in 1st or second place. NH is already a joke with 6 divisions. Why not make it a complete farce.

I really thought this was the year that the NHIAA would listen to commmon sense.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:10 am

So does anyone know for sure if D1-D3 is strictly limited to 9 teams?

While Salem is/has been a D1 school for a while, them petitioning up to D1 makes sense only in that regard. Losing the Windham players will take some adjustment at least from a numbers playing standpoint. It's not that Salem doesn't have enough alone, but adding in the Windham kids certainly helped them. Maybe their AD looks at that and thinks 2 years in D2 to regroup works better.

There's no way Exeter petitions or is forced to do anything - for them it's a numbers thing. They are reaping what they sowed by building that new high school. It's called Exeter Area High School for a reason. Their numbers will continue to grow beyond what they have now.

Having BG petition all the way to D1 will finally answer many critics and cynics questions.

Maybe Keene should petition to play in VT Laughing

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:58 am

DIVISION ONE IT'S OFFICIAL.

Exeter goes back to Division 2. That surprises me. I thought once Coach Ball got a taste of d1 he would want to stay and play.

Salem still d1, Keene still d2.

Alvirne tried to petition down to d3,but was denied.

MY EARLY CALL FOR NEXT YEAR

EXETER

SPAULDING

TIMBY

DOVER

WINNIE

KEENE

WEST

ALVIRNE

MERRIMACK

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

NHIAA staying with six divisions Empty Who said they would be division one next year. This is why you should come to the forum first.

Post  GNG Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:23 am

No more fake one sided rivalries against some schools whose coaches would have a hard time winning in pee wee football.

This is great. No more Alvirne, or Merrimack. What has been the combined score of those games the last 4 years. Something like 280- 40. That's not much fun.

Nobody this season has been a bigger critic of division 2 football then me. It's embarrasing what the athletic directors at some schools are allowing to happen.

Merrimack is as bad a team as I have seen in a long time, and they beat ALVIRNE.

Look at SPAULDING. That coach took over as bad a program in NH AND TURNED IT AROUND in half a season. Don't tell me coaches don't make a difference.

Can't wait to see the schedule. Gonna be funny to see who BG plays first week. My guess, old friend Exeter.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:38 am

BG-NORTH. FUN Very Happy
BG-SOUTH.FUNNER. Very Happy Very Happy
BG- PINKY. FUNNEST Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I can't wait to hear what the coaches think.

Gotta give Alvirne props for trying to move down to D3. I wonder why the nhiaa wouldn't allow it. It's not like d3 is chopped liver.

Last edited by GNG on Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

NHIAA staying with six divisions Empty Just read the telegraph

Post  GNG Fri Oct 21, 2011 6:45 am

The writer suggested a THANKSGIVING DAY GAME against Merrimack. What a STUPID IDEA. Merrimack should play Milford. Milford is closer to their skill level. Nobody wants to see a game where one team WALLOPS the other team year in and year out.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:14 am

From a travel and local rivalry standpoint for Exeter, I understand, but I think the NHIAA once again just made some dumb*** decisions - par for the course. I read on Roger Brown's site that they apparently never heard of an 3 division proposal and by the time he forwarded the idea to them it was too late (paraphrasing a bit). I find that extremely hard to believe. Talk about head in the sand.

Anyway, BG's move doesn't surprise me - although it may have been better to allow the new coach and his new program time to mature. It does give the players on the team that want to go to college better game film and better opportunities against better competition. It's easy to look good against a majority of those D2 teams.

I think Alvirne trying to move down is a joke - that's a feel good move for the players as far as I see it. I think the most curious thing I read was Laconia (a D4 power) has decided to stay at its enrollment location - D5 - ending rivalries with Plymouth & Kennett. One has to wonder if that's an avoid Plymouth/Trinity kind of thing or do they know more about their feeder system and decided that D5 would be better. Good luck against StThomas...

Interesting that Campbell (a team vying for a playoff spot this year) is allowed to drop to D6... While I'm at it - Campbell will be hosting their first night game tomorrow against Somersworth. Apparently Continental Paving has donated portable lights for the evening. For them it's a big deal since the winner has an edge in head to head for a final playoff spot.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:33 am

With the boring lack of Je ne sais quoi in D1 and D2 this season it makes you want to forward to the 2012 football season right now.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SofaKing Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:08 am

GNG wrote: The writer suggested a THANKSGIVING DAY GAME against Merrimack. What a STUPID IDEA. Merrimack should play Milford. Milford is closer to their skill level. Nobody wants to see a game where one team WALLOPS the other team year in and year out.

You REALLY have a personal problem with Merrimack, huh? I don't know what you talk more about. How GREAT BG is or how awful Merrimack is.

Do you care to explain your feelings?

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  D3Fan84 Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:26 am

Looks like I was 24 of 27 so far in my "alignment predictions" I made a week ago. The article doesn't mention Trinity so I'm still holding out hope I can go 25 for 27 and they end up in D3.

I'm surprised to see Bedford is staying in D3, but I'm guessing this will be their last 2 year cycle and the last 2 year cycle for West in D2.

I wasn't surprised to see Exeter back in D2. With the long awaited petition from BG and with Salem dropping to D2 by 50 or so students... two teams were gonna have to go down. Keene and Exeter are the only two that make sense from an enrollment stand point.

The thing I'll be most interested next year is going to be BG's success in D1. Nothing against Coach Cote, but I would have loved to watch TOJO work a D1 schedule like Coach Ball did this year with Exeter. Either way the most talked about team in the state should be playing a lot of competitive games from now on.

The article pretty much lays out what D1 and D2 will be next year, but still leaves an unanswered question about D3. I'm guessing Pelham didn't petition to stay in D3 and with Bedford staying in D3 that leaves one open spot open.

D3Fan84
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxSportsNH Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:30 am

BG to D1, great news and somewhat overdue, If TOJO was at the helm this is a no brainer , The Soph and Junior Class of BG
are athletic , quick, But seriously Undersized(nothing new) especially in D1. I heard it said Coach Cote has been there before, thats true but wasnt he there and then moved down to D2 perhaps that was due to Bedford kids, but i have to think West still has enrollment of D1 ?

BG will likely do OK, I see them honestly as a 4/4 team next year. they will lose to the decent teams(Pinkerton, Central, South, and likely Memorial depending upon their returning kids) , They, will Beat Concord, Salem, North(?), and Londonderry.

Going forward, there is a serious intangible that hasnt been considered IF the upper office has its way, Lund Road is going to
slide away from its "athletic enrollment" and lean more towards a different type of student. Also with Tojo gone from the grid iron, there will be alot more question on a parents/childs decision on BG. While I firmly believe that a choice is not made on the athletics, it has bearing and Success recruits. also important a question, how much support from alumni still exist currently, Alumni are the ones that share their experience, and positive marks on the school itself and "sell" Lund road to parents and students.

Thankfully D2 is weak this year for new coach, Its been said many times, This team and coaches Vs last years D2 , BG likely takes 4th.

Exeter Down to D2 is sad, Coach Ball is a winner and does great things for the kids and NH Football. I understand from logistics but they have shown that they can roll with D1 teams and renewing the BG/Exeter Wars would be good for NH Football.

BG Vs Nashua(x2) Cool. I will make the trek to Stellos for those games.

I am sure GNG has the pointspread already figured out for next years games. , Maybe GNG will be the Next Merrimack Coach ?

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SofaKing Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:54 pm

D3Fan84 wrote:Looks like I was 24 of 27 so far in my "alignment predictions" I made a week ago. The article doesn't mention Trinity so I'm still holding out hope I can go 25 for 27 and they end up in D3.

I'm surprised to see Bedford is staying in D3, but I'm guessing this will be their last 2 year cycle and the last 2 year cycle for West in D2.

I wasn't surprised to see Exeter back in D2. With the long awaited petition from BG and with Salem dropping to D2 by 50 or so students... two teams were gonna have to go down. Keene and Exeter are the only two that make sense from an enrollment stand point.

The thing I'll be most interested next year is going to be BG's success in D1. Nothing against Coach Cote, but I would have loved to watch TOJO work a D1 schedule like Coach Ball did this year with Exeter. Either way the most talked about team in the state should be playing a lot of competitive games from now on.

The article pretty much lays out what D1 and D2 will be next year, but still leaves an unanswered question about D3. I'm guessing Pelham didn't petition to stay in D3 and with Bedford staying in D3 that leaves one open spot open.

I think it's a bit ridiculous that Bedford was allowed to petition down. (To be clear: Bedford was PLACED in D2 due to enrollment numbers). With 1300+ kids and facilities that some D1 schools would be envious of, they should be playing in D2. Most of their kids (with the exception of Garon) are only juniors this year. They'd have no problem competing at that level over the next 2 years.

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SofaKing Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:56 pm

MaxSportsNH wrote:

BG to D1, great news and somewhat overdue, If TOJO was at the helm this is a no brainer , The Soph and Junior Class of BG
are athletic , quick, But seriously Undersized(nothing new) especially in D1. I heard it said Coach Cote has been there before, thats true but wasnt he there and then moved down to D2 perhaps that was due to Bedford kids, but i have to think West still has enrollment of D1 ?

BG will likely do OK, I see them honestly as a 4/4 team next year. they will lose to the decent teams(Pinkerton, Central, South, and likely Memorial depending upon their returning kids) , They, will Beat Concord, Salem, North(?), and Londonderry.

Going forward, there is a serious intangible that hasnt been considered IF the upper office has its way, Lund Road is going to
slide away from its "athletic enrollment" and lean more towards a different type of student. Also with Tojo gone from the grid iron, there will be alot more question on a parents/childs decision on BG. While I firmly believe that a choice is not made on the athletics, it has bearing and Success recruits. also important a question, how much support from alumni still exist currently, Alumni are the ones that share their experience, and positive marks on the school itself and "sell" Lund road to parents and students.

Thankfully D2 is weak this year for new coach, Its been said many times, This team and coaches Vs last years D2 , BG likely takes 4th.

Exeter Down to D2 is sad, Coach Ball is a winner and does great things for the kids and NH Football. I understand from logistics but they have shown that they can roll with D1 teams and renewing the BG/Exeter Wars would be good for NH Football.

BG Vs Nashua(x2) Cool. I will make the trek to Stellos for those games.

I am sure GNG has the pointspread already figured out for next years games. , Maybe GNG will be the Next Merrimack Coach ?

No, West's enrollment is at the very low end of D2. They could have easily petitioned down.

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:23 pm

Maxsports, my first act would be to hire you. That's 3 wins right there. cheers cheers cheers

I sent sofaking a private message so I won't bore all of you AGAIN. Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 21, 2011 5:58 pm

That must have been a long PM to Sofa King.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. Sat Oct 22, 2011 1:43 am

Well, I must admit when I am wrong. Exeter truly surprises me with this move. I would have had Keene and either Concord or Londonderry move down to make room for BG and Salem. Bedford would move up to D2, West or Alvirne down to D3. In that scenario, Spaulding may have won a championship.They certainly deserve it, I have nothing but praise for those kids and coaches, it takes a lot of heart to not give up after what, 5 straight winless seasons? But persevere they have, and they're looking at a D2 playoff birth this year as a result.
BG in D1 remains competitive, although Pinkerton rolls again next year. Their backups get more playing time than their starters (Smith averages between 5 and 10 carries a game before he gets pulled), meaning lots of experience despite the kids they lose. But BG could potentially be a playoff team. Good QB next year in Vailas, already evidenced this season during Fahey's injury. Also have weapons in Boykin, Marino, and Perry. Overhaul on an offensive line is always an issue, but they return a few tight ends that have gotten some serious time, and in the last few weeks we've seen several different starters on the line, including sophomore tackle Will Collins and junior tackle Pat Yourell. Hopefully they can find good guys to fill in the guards and center spots, and there's the offense.
Defensively the D-Line will feature 4 new guys (graduating Carver [NG] Hall [DT] Goulski [DT] Lipari [DE] and the injured Spinney [DE] although I don't know who his new replacement will be. The linebacking core will return 3 year starters in Boudreau and Kiczuk, and a 2 year starter in Miller (only a sophomore) so they should be set there. Secondary has used Boykin at CB this year, likely one of their options next year, as is Marino at safety (played there during Chartrand's injury and had 2 INT vs. Dover including a pick 6). The team should have some solid playmaking ability, although it will largely feature 2 way players, and an entirely new defensive line would scare me as a coach. Maybe the reason for the shifts on the O-Line (which HAD been 4 seniors, 1 sophomore, now features 4 seniors, 1 junior, 1 sophomore competing for 5 spots) was anticipation of the move to D1 to get younger players varsity experience. Would not surprise me to see them start/heavily rely on underclassmen on the D-Line this week and next to see what they have for next year, especially with Alvirne and Keene, both struggling, to finish the year.

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next