New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

NHIAA Points System

+7
chicagokid43
EBlessNHSP
JAF
Tuesday and Friday
boxout
GNG
Thomas
11 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty new system is ridicculous

Post  Thomas Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 am

So (hypothetically) in Division 2, a team can beat Sanborn on the road and get 5 points and then beat Pembroke or Pelham at home and only get 4. Which game is the harder one to win? Some of the decent teams in the division have really weak schedules and will benefit from this formula far more than others.

Thomas
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Thomas, I have been saying it from the start

Post  GNG Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:40 am

Makes no sense.I don't know about d2 because everybody doesn't play everybody,but in d1 they all play each other.BG beats north on the road and gets 5 points,beats Trinity at home and only gets 4.They should all count the same,or if they are gonna do it have it figured out that if you beat a good team on the road your team gets more points then beating a bad team on the road.Guertin has beaten Memorial and Dover on the road and it counts the same as beating a Timberlane on the road.Not buying the new system,I am selling.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Formula

Post  boxout Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:48 am

I agree, there is no parody in DII. Thomas the Sanborn example is very good. There are many problems with NH , one being too many teams make the playoffs. Look at DI boys they could have a 4-14 team make the playoffs, why even have a regular season. Anybody know if a 15 or 16 seed has ever won a tournament game?
How about a 13 or 14? It seems I recall a twelve seed beating a 5. I think it should be twelve team tournament, so that 12 seed would play the one seed.
Anyone know if there have been close games, by a 15 or 16 seed, not talking about final score of 80-72, and the winning team sat their starters for last 5 minutes so it was close.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty I agree with GNG

Post  Thomas Sun Feb 20, 2011 10:53 am

...another vote for selling the 5 point/4 point system, in D2 but more so in D1 as per GNG's explanation.

Thomas
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Re: NHIAA Points System

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 am

You are correct Thomas. It does seem there will be some serious inequity in D2 with some teams having more of a real soft serve schedule than others. It makes no sense what so ever that Pembroke and Milford haven't matched up in D2 in the regular season over the last few years. I wish some of these ADs would drop some of these Cupcake Cities they have on their schedule and schedule some real games. D2 is really funky with schedules. I know the Heal System took some pounding last year, but compared to what is happening this year, the Heal System is looking pretty good right now.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty NHIAA Points System

Post  JAF Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:23 pm

In Football the NHIAA figured out 5 weeks into the season that the points system was flawed and scrapped it - too bad they couldn't do that for other sports where everyone plays everyone else. Unfortunately whomever created this points system took the "easy" route. Perhaps the NHIAA should have enlisted the help of some college students at an in-state College in order to create a formula that was more realistic. BUT that formula should only be used in the Divisions where teams didn't play everyone else. I also agree that too many teams make the playoffs. In a couple of divisions "everyone" makes the playoffs - they're calling the first round of games "play in" games. The D3 girls already started with that system and so far all scores posted indicate the "better" seed won. When schools are complaining they don't have enough money for their programs, but then turn around and agree to play extra games - well something doesn't add up, but that's a different discussion...

If my math is correct, in D1 basketball, if BG and Trinity win out, BG finishes 2nd with 71 points to Trinity's 72. If Memorial wins out, they finish with 71 points; however, Memorial plays Trinity. So for two teams BG beats - one of them could finish higher in the standings even though their records are the same. Another anomaly, looking at the schedule Memorial plays 10 home games and 8 road games, while Trinity plays 10 road games and 8 home games, strange although it could be an error on the NHIAA website... Additionally two teams (Keene & Dover) didn't play each other, instead opting for games against closer, but lower level teams (Keene lost on the road to Con-Val, while Dover beat St.Thomas on the road). Why would the NHIAA allow this?

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Feb 20, 2011 12:27 pm

Thought I'd split this out - since it will probably be discussed in these last couple of weeks...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Feb 20, 2011 2:15 pm

I don't think the heal was really given a chance it is certainly alot better than the 4 and 5 system we have now. I think with a few tweaks that the heal could've worked, or at least been better than what we have now. I don't understand why the NHIAA would keep it when it clearly failed in football.

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty absolutely agree...

Post  Thomas Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:33 pm

...that the Heal wasnt perfect but certainly was better than the current D2 system. I think you had one slight "injustice" last year where Kearsarge got a home playoff game (and was defeated by a tough Kingswood squad) but for the most part Heal put teams where they should be. Also, I dont think you can say "just win your games and you dont have to worry about any system" because this year strength of schedules are so unbalanced in D2.

Thomas
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Divisions and non Divisional games.

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Feb 20, 2011 8:59 pm

I have made this argument for D2 for some time. 22-23 teams = 4 divisions of 5-6 teams. Your divisional schedule is playing your division teams twice home/away and allowed to schedule outside the division to get to your 18 games. Top 4 teams from each division get in, Seed teams based on quality non conference wins getting higher seeds. Sweet 16 would then be teams that had not seen each other in the regular season most of the time. This type of schedule would be balanced within your division but still allow teams to face local rivals as well as cross divisional games. Best of both worlds in my eyes.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:01 pm

Good thought ChiKid. The only place in NH basketball this will happen will be in an area called:

"Pie in the Sky"

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty I am fine with Everyone making it

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:04 pm

I am also fine with every team making it in. Just give the top seeds in the those divisions byes so the regular season success does help pave the road for a run to the final four. In Indiana that is what they do, the regular season is to win your division and have local bragging rights as well as set yourself up for a tourney run. Win your section of the state,your region,your semi state and final four. When I was in high school it would take my school 9 games to win the state championship. Talk about a tourney!

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:32 pm

I'm fine with every team making it also. It's just one more night of games for all the divisions.

With all this HS basketball playoff talk I'm getting in the mood to watch Jimmy Chitwood, Ollie, Shooter and Coach Norman Dale:

Myra Fleener:[about Jimmy Chitwood] You know, a basketball hero around here is treated like a god, er, uh, how can he ever find out what he can really do?
Coach Norman Dale: You know, most people would kill... to be treated like a god, just for a few moments.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Actually

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:42 pm

Jimmy Chitwood is actually Bobby Plump. He is still alive and was in Indy for the 100th anniversary of the Indiana State Championships last March. Marvin Wood was the head coach in just his second season. No Shooter, he was written in to offer color sort of like T and F's post on the Forum. 751 teams were in the tourney that year.. yes 751.. And we are complaining about 64 teams getting in.. lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:45 pm

I really don't know how to take your comparison of Shooter to T & F Laughing

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Actually your right

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Feb 20, 2011 9:53 pm

Hard to picture T and F saying and I quote... " get that that bozo there... glasses.... "

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Hoosiers

Post  nhbasketballguy Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:16 pm

Coach Norman Dale to an opposing Coach - "its bad enough we gotta play in this cage you call a gym, but your players are playing like a bunch of guerillas."

nhbasketballguy
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Still think it is cool

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:24 pm

I still think it is cool that the little team from Milan beat Indianapolis Crispus Attucks with Oscar Robertson "The Big O" in the semi's that year. HE was a decent basketball player.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Feb 21, 2011 12:05 am

"My practices aren't designed for your enjoyment."

Coach Norman Dale

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty How about...

Post  Thomas Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:16 am

"...what I say with regards to this team is the law, absolutely and without discussion..."

An all time classic!

Thomas
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Feb 21, 2011 9:26 am

This is good. 1 - 3 weeks before all the Playoff Madness starts and The Forum is getting revved up with rememberances from "Hoosiers." This is very good for the basketball soul....... Like chicken soup.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  D-4hoop411 Mon Feb 21, 2011 4:48 pm

back when Littleton was in class M -- they went into Mascoma as a 16 seed and beat an undefeated Royals squad in the first round

D-4hoop411
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Quotes

Post  basketballtime Mon Feb 21, 2011 5:18 pm

This one is for Chikid,

First master the fundamentals.

A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Larry Bird

The key is not the "will to win" . . . everybody has that. It is the will to prepare to win that is important.

Bob Knight

Good teams become great ones when the members trust each other enough to surrender the Me for the We.

Phil Jackson

Don't give up, don't ever give up.

Jim Valvano

How do you go from where you are to where you want to be? I think you have to have an enthusiasm for life. You have to have a dream, a goal, and you have to be willing to work for it

Jim Valvano

If you have a positive attitude and constantly strive to give your best effort, eventually you will overcome your immediate problems and find you are ready for greater challenges.

Pat Riley

Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should have accomplished with your ability.

John Wooden

That's all i got. Sad

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty My Favorites

Post  chicagokid43 Mon Feb 21, 2011 6:44 pm

"Failing to prepare is preparing to fail."
— John Wooden

"Be more concerned with your character than your reputation, because your character is what you really are, while your reputation is merely what others think you are."
— John Wooden

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

NHIAA Points System Empty Clarification

Post  boxout Tue Feb 22, 2011 5:21 pm

I just wanted to clarify that not all teams in DI play each other. Keene and Dover don't play each other this season, they both played non-division teams to make up the missing game.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next