@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

I have thrown in the towel, the nhiaa wins. T@F was right

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

I have thrown in the towel, the nhiaa wins. T@F was right

Post  GNG on Thu Oct 27, 2011 6:54 am

Two years ago I heard Jamie Staton talk to a radio host in referance to the NHIAA. He came off as a beaten man when trying to deal with the NHIAA. I realize they just don't get it, never have , never will.

They still have to have a final vote on the SIX divisions plan that is the NH JOKE. They wouldn't even listen to the 3 division plan because they said it was the first they heard of it, and wouldn't have time to implement it. That's all we have been talking about for over 2 years.

Then they make the wrong choices. Alvirne wants to go to division 3 {I applaude their honesty}, rebuild, retool, and actually compete. The NHIAA says NO.

Bedford who should move to division 2 says they want to stay in division 3 because their program is so young. I say BS. They are MORE then ready to move up.

West is another program I have been beating the drum on. Their AD doesn't want them moving down, but he should. Give their new coach a chance. Being a doormat is no fun. I know people will point to SPAULDING and say look at their turnaround. APPLES AND ORANGES. I heard the West coach on the radio say his roster changes by the week basically because of the socio- economic conditions over at West. The NHIAA should be smart enough to realize that if a 22 yr old coach can.

I can't even call the NHIAA a joke, because that would infer there is something funny .

They make it very hard to be a fan of NH high school sports.

The NHIAA may have an abundance of highly educated people on their boards, but it doesn't seem like they have alot of people with COMMON SENSE.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Beutiful Post

Post  boxout on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:05 am

GNG I am so proud of you. The NHIAA is an absolute joke and just a silly operation. I have had minor dealings with them, and have always been treated with disrespect. I have told them when they have games on wrong dates and wrong times and wrong locations. You never get a thank you, you get a what? You are wrong. But then nothing gives me greater pleasure than proving them wrong. There has to be a way to get to these pompous people.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Not sure the blame is squarely on the NHIAA....

Post  JAF on Thu Oct 27, 2011 10:25 am

Who thinks Pat Corbin is making all the decisions on how to split the divisions??? Question Or anyone "at" the NHIAA specificaly? Exclamation Question I don't disagree they are a difficult organization to deal with; however, when you have no competition there is no impetus to adopt changes that a subset of customers needs/requests. While we all despise the 6 division system and think it's a farce - I think we're stuck with it because after all the decision makers like it and they see no reason to change it other than the "press" or "public opinion".

The membership of the NHIAA is the schools. The committees in the NHIAA are comprised of Coaches/AD's from the schools. The decisions on how to compete and how to form divisions comes from those committees. The "theory" is that those that are participating in the sport should be responsible (enough) to decide what's best for the sport and student athlete. For football, the committee has 3-D1, 3-D2, 1-D3, 2-D4, 1-D5, and 2-D6 members. To combine D1&D2 you'd need at least 7 votes; however, how are you going to convince the 3 D3/D4 and/or 3 D5/D6 members that a combined division would be better for them. Do all/any of the D2 teams believe they could compete with D1 teams? The lower divisions are going to be even harder to convince because let's face it who in D6 thinks they can beat StThomas? If one combines D1/D2, there's also a "push" to include a few D3 schools - which of those would want to go? Other than a few choice teams, I doubt there's a whole lot of coaches/AD's that want change or want to "move up". They like what they have now regardless of how the "customer" parents/press thinks.

Exeter is a prime example right now of the decision process by the Coach/AD - they define the current division line. Can they compete in D1, yes - this year proves it. Do they see themselves being able to compete for "years" - probably not and last year proves that. So if I'm the Coach/AD and desire to see my student athletes have success, where do I see the best opportunity for that and what am I going to choose? I think where Exeter falls for the next cycle will answer the question for anyone of how that Coach/AD thinks. Plymouth for years has already made their answer known. BG chose for years to petition only up to D2 - not because the Coach/AD didn't believe they could compete in D1. Everyone has their own theories why BG chose D2 - I'll leave it at that. The last cycle saw only a few schools petition up - same as this cycle I'm guessing. One school that petitioned up last cycle (Pelham) did so due to cost (travel), but they've been summarily crushed for the last 2 years. I think you see more schools trying to drop down in order to "compete" that you'll ever see petition up.

Here's a thought Idea add a bylaw that states a school that decides to petition "down" is not eligible for post season play for the first 2 year cycle. If your "reason" for petitioning down is to rebuild your program and not so that you can just win a championship, then I think it's reasonable to not expect to play in the championship game. Not being eligible to play in the post season will force the Coach/AD to think about the reasons for the petition. If after 2 years your program has proven to be competitive in the division and you decide to stay for 2 more years, then you'd be eligible for post season play. However, after 4 years you must return to the level where your enrollment places you. If you cannot rebuild your program in 4 years, it's time for a new job. I think Trinity is a fine example of this in practice. They dropped out of D1, played 1 year (or 2 - I forget) of "independent" football before moving into D5. They found they were more than competitive there and petitioned up to D4 where they have also been more than competitive. But they've rebuilt their program so much so they could probably compete in D3. Not bad for a school that is D6 sized (yes, I know they attract athletes - but most of those are for basketball).

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Re: I have thrown in the towel, the nhiaa wins. T@F was right

Post  GNG on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:28 am

T@F had a good idea{ even a broken clock is right twice a day}. How about getting a college intern {sports management, computer major, etc..} to run the nhiaa website.

They are horrible/ terrible when it comes to game changes/ postponments.

People come to this site for cancelations. That shouldn't be the case.

There is no excuse in this day and age to have such a USELESS WEBSITE.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Thu Oct 27, 2011 11:48 am

A better website is one of their 6 goals - really I cannot make this stuff up.

Go to the NHIAA website - roll your mouse over the "About NHIAA". The should pop up a menu where one of the choices is "NHIAA Strategic Plan 2009-2014". Click it. It'll bring you to a page with a link to a PDF file (http://www.nhiaa.org/PDFs/3170/NHIAAStrategicPlanWeb.pdf). Open it and enjoy... A better website is part of Strategy #3...

A couple years back they attempted to "fix" their website and I think either bought some software or adjusted their links to some company that was supposedly their new partner. Long story short, the interface was worse than what they had (and have today) *and* there were popup ads and all sorts of inane things. Funny how in the last 3-5 years all sorts of websites have popped up in NH that do a better job getting the information out and the NHIAA still hasn't changed anything. I suspect no one there knows what Facebook is, or Twitter, or anything that could or would help promote HS sports. They probably think a smart phone is something that automatically goes off to an answering machine.

Another grumble of mine is TeamIP - you want to talk about one unbelievably frustrating "partner" the NHIAA has - it's the group that handles the sportswear for playoff merchandise. First of all they don't come to the site with enough merchandise. Second, when you try to order from their "website" it takes forever to get what you want posted and getting the right merchandise sent - well that's another story. We ordered championship shirts - we got sent some very inferior product. It looked like some 3rd grade class did the screen printing. It took about 3 months of email and phone tag to get things righted. Their "excuse" was they don't have printing facilities - they subcontract that out and don't control the quality. Duh...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Oct 27, 2011 7:43 pm

I am shocked at all this criticism being directed at the NHIAA.......... NOT !!!

Very Happy Surprised Cool Razz Twisted Evil Wink bounce drunken geek scratch

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:11 am

I wonder when the next 2 year cycle comes out if the NHIAA still has these IDIOTIC,STUPID,DUMB non division games the last 2 weeks of the season.

SPAULDING- CONCORD, what a joke.

I will be very surprised if the MORONS that comprise the NHIAA change anything. They just don't care.

This is my interpretation of what the board looks like. Sleep jocolor confused No Sad drunken pig scratch geek clown

A little common sense goes a long way. No crossover games late in the season. How hard is that?

Have the d1 and d2 finals on the same field on the same day. How hard is that?

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 04, 2011 7:56 am

I told you about the NHIAA a LLLLLLooooooonnnnngggg time ago. You used to give them the benefit of the doubt. Nice to see you are now doubting them and not throwing benefits their way.

Don't you get the sense that most people who work in their office just look forward to pay day to cash their checks and when they work on non-pay days there is no passion involved in their jobs? You really have to wonder.

I know we are all picking Astro High to win the D1 football championship this month, but now I'm really rooting for Exeter to pull off the stunning upset. Wouldn't that be a total farce to see Exeter win the D1 title and then move down to D2 next year. It would just be so appropriate. Maybe, we'll have 8 divisions in NH football next year. This way there can be more championship banquets and pizza parties to celebrate all the football championships. Maybe, some of the NHIAA employees can earn some extra $$$ by going to some of the championship parties and do some face painting, hand out juice boxes and dress up like clowns and make animal ballooons.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:10 am

I just read Roger Brown. He is taking some shots at the NHIAA in his NH FOOTBALL REPORT.

Great minds think alike. Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

not sure

Post  boxout on Fri Nov 04, 2011 8:58 am

While I respect your opinion GNG, I hardly call that taking shots. I am not even sure in this one instance I blame the NHIAA. It was clearly up to both teams to finish the game. What can the NHIAA do if they tell both teams they need to finish the game b4 the season ends and they don't? One thing I am personally getting tired of is the "field conditions". If we had this problem in the NFL they would never play. Even teams in warm weather climates have field issues. It is silly to me that football can't be played on a wet field. Maybe both teams should have forfeited.
Of course I hope you are talking about Week 9 State of Football.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:29 am

Football is probably different due to the preparation and recovery time necessary; however, other sports have a requirement to play makeup days within a certain timeframe and any exceptions must be brought through the NHIAA. I think the limit is 7 days.

To me it's unconscionable to not have made that game up by the following Tue/Wed. Yes, the schools are far apart, but something could have been done. I believe a couple of schools at a halfway point of 50 or so miles volunteered their fields... I think all involved are partly to blame. The nhiaa allowed the 2 schools to consider a makeup only if the game mattered in the standings. When that decision was made, I think it was obvious that the game would matter. Perhaps an adjustment to the rules/procedure should be that a loss is assigned to both teams in the event that something like this happens again.

To be totally fair, the weather this fall has been bizarre - between a hurricane, thunderstorms, wind, snow, what are we in store for this winter? These are things that cannot be controlled, but with the weather forecasting the way it is - schools that are 100 miles apart should use common sense when deciding whether or not to play a game where the predicted weather is going to cause a game to be stopped. This is why schools decide to play games on different days sometimes at the last moment. I seem to remember quite a bit of not so nice conversation in this and other forums about changing the schedule at the last minute to not play a game in poor weather conditions.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:30 am

Boxout, I am talking about Spaulding playing Concord tonight. Crossover game with ABSOLUTELY no meaning on the regular season standings. This isn't a rescheduled game. This is when they were scheduled to play. I haven't talked to one person who feels it's good to play a game with zero impact on the standings in the last week of the season.

When reading the NH FOOTBALL REPORT go to the portion where he picks the games. That is what I was writing about.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Fri Nov 04, 2011 5:48 pm

You guys know me - I don't like anybody taking shots at anybody. But the NHIAA doesn't get a pass from me. They are fair game. Listen to the fans, the taxpayers, the parents, the coaches, the players...US. Maybe they should have some sort of...forum...to hear gripes? ideas? Or they could just come here and learn a whole lot.

Anyway...try not to bash anybody personally over there, that's not what the forum is about, but feel free to offer suggestions in case by any chance SOMEBODY is listening.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Fri Nov 04, 2011 9:22 pm

If a complaint/tree falls in the NHIAA offices/woods of NH.... will it be heard?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Nov 05, 2011 7:17 am

I don't think there is even a forest at the nhiaa for a complaint tree to grow in.

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Sat Nov 05, 2011 8:35 am

Pete Tarrier had a good idea today. If the NHIAA is going to keep it's 6 divisions why not have the division1 champ play the division 2 champ and that would be your state champ from those 2 divisions. Same for 3 and 4, and 5 and 6. That would be 3 state champs.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Nov 05, 2011 10:07 am

Good idea in theory, but it just duct tapes and spackles a situation NHIAA should be resolving.

I laugh when people propose the same thing in basketball. Every basketball generation talks about a "Championship" day at UNH where D1 plays D2 and D3 plays D4 or having a semis and finals between the 4 champions in the state. When this talk started I believe Ronald Reagan was president, John Lennon was assassinated and Ted Turner established CNN.

The one plodding, murky water and paint drying watching constant throughout this whole time sequence has been the:

NHIAA

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Different view for 6 divisions

Post  NHsportsfan on Sat Nov 05, 2011 11:54 am

I used to think 6 divisions was a crazy idea, however, I have had a change of heart. 6 Divisions keeps more kids playing football in a small state like NH. You go down to 3 divisions and instead of having 5 or 6 or teams per division totaling 30 - 36 teams trying to make the playoffs you have half that. Keeping in mind players wanting to play for something like trying to make the playoffs. You will argue that the players should just want to play because they love football but unfortunately if you have less teams involved you will have less kids playing. You have three divisions and I guarantee a lot of the smaller programs in the state disappear completely of get even less going out for football. You go to 3 divisions it really hurts the whole landscape of football in NH...

The thing I don't agree with is if teams are dominating a division or really struggling they should be moved up or down automatically based strictly on wins and loses. That is a pretty simple idea and could be easily done after every two year cycle.

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Good Point

Post  boxout on Sat Nov 05, 2011 2:50 pm

I agree that maybe as many kids wouldn't play. I hate to say it, but maybe they shouldn't have a program. Imagine the budgets that these towns and schools could save. In a way your saying kids wouldn't play because they wouldn't compete. So I am reading between the lines and thinking that this must be all about winning. Another thing that is wrong with society today is that everyone has to win. Sorry you or any player will learn more from losing then you ever will from winning. Anyone who has played any sport knows this, why do you learn from losing? Mostly because you don't want it to happen again. If a kid who is unsure he wants to play or not only plays because he may win, is the same reason why some schools have twice as many kids playing as other schools, they win. I feel that all sports have high turnout if they are winning programs. I would bet that Portsmouth baseball probably has 70 kids trying out a year. I bet Milford only has 30.
Also why not have 3 or 4 divisions like every other sport? I don't see too many schools dropping soccer, basketball, or baseball.
Another thing that could be done, is have 3 or 4 divisions and have 6 or 8 teams make the playoffs. You are only adding one week to a schedule that many schools is too long already. You really think that Pelham should come to Milford today to play? We knew 5 games ago that Pelham wasn't making the playoffs. We also knew 5 weeks ago that Londonderry was not making the playoffs. You could get rid of one of those meaningless out of division games.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

If they have 6 divisions this is how I would do the top 3

Post  GNG on Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:15 pm

Two year cycle. Not by population, but by strength of programs.

Division One- Pinkerton, BG, Exeter, South, Dover, Central, North, Salem, and Memorial.

Division Two- Spaulding, Keene, Winnie, Bedford, Timberlane, Concord, Londonderry, Souhegan, and Portsmouth.

Division Three- Hollis/ Brookline, Trinity, Alvirne, Merrimack, West, Milford, Goffstown, Plymouth, and Laconia.

DIVISION ONE would be unbelievable.

DIVISION TWO. No doubt in my mind that SOUHEGAN, BEDFORD,AND PORTSMOUTH could compete in this division. It would give Concord and Londonderry a chance to get there programs back on track. This would make for some interesting games.

DIVISION THREE. Trinity is more then ready to move up. It would give struggling programs Alvirne, West, and Merrimack two years to get regrouped and win more then 2 games.{hopefully}

I know it will never happen, but maybe it should. Don't go strictly by population. Look at how strong a program a school has. These would be 3 really competitive divisions.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  E.I.R. on Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:55 pm

Why the move down to D3 for H/B?

E.I.R.
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Nov 07, 2011 11:10 pm

They're currently in D3 and if they did this they'd still be one of the smaller enrollments in D3 I believe.

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:47 am

For HB, one year does not make a strong program... Since Laconia is reportedly dropping to D5 and Plymouth already has indicated their desire to stay with traditional foes as well as not have as much travel, those two teams may not work in D3. What about Monadnock? Or are they like HB - this is the first year they've been competitive. I think your other team will be Windham who by the this classification cycle will finally have seniors at the school. Perhaps even St. Thomas should be coerced to play in D3 instead of D5 where they've been fairly dominant.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Tue Nov 08, 2011 7:16 pm

Very true, now while I'm sure HB won't go back to being in the dog house I don't expect them to be nearly as good next year as they were this year. Certainly they're going up but to hold them to this year in and year out is very premature. They'll be losing a lot this year I do think they're losing almost everyone on their O-line and there backfield will be gone to, they'll have a lot to replace.

Back to top Go down

How about this

Post  GNG on Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:14 am

Next 2 year cycle. Three big conferences, and one starter conference. Teams that are just starting out, really small schools and such. My friend brought this up last night and it made sense at the time.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum