New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Feb. 4th Game Results

+8
goldenbear
nhbasketballguy
tarrier
chicagokid43
EBlessNHSP
GNG
middleschoolball
Tuesday and Friday
12 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty Re: Feb. 4th Game Results

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:34 am

NH B-ball Guy - I have to disagree with you. I have called ChiKid on the basketball carpet a few times when I thought he was out of line talking about refs or the physicality of games. There is no doubt ChiKid would be totally out of his element if he ever tried to ref a freshman or JV game let alone a varsity game. Some of us here at the Forum find his complaining posts very funny now, because it borders on the talk one sees in a WWF show with ring rabble rousing.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty Fair Enough

Post  nhbasketballguy Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:42 am

You're right - I have seen Chicgaokid challenged here. I just did not think some earlier posts here were so out of line as to be deleted. My issue is that despite what he might post here, Chicagokid has indeed posted very inflamatory comments about kids, by jersey number, as well as coaches - and any true fans of HS sports should find that distasteful, which was the purpose of my posts here tonight.

nhbasketballguy
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  abball Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:44 am

T&F OR Assistant any word on how the Alvirne Salem game went. I know they won. Just curious if anyone went adn had a recap or anything. 3 or 4 in a row for the Broncos. Things are looking up. Seems like the Milford and Souhegan game was the game of the night. Another great slate of games tonight. How many games are being played tomorrow? and will any be cancelled because of the imposing weather?

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty You are crazy..

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:45 am

If you do not think I could do as good as the group that did the JV game in AMherst tonight you are funny. The reffing in this state is one of the lowest in the country. I talked with someone tonight that is in full agreement. He wants to add training and evaluations into his tourneys so hopefully help the referees understand the things they miss.
It is not just me.. I am very outspoken but most would agree... accept maybe the refs that are so sensitive about it. Five years ago the state AAU tourney had some teams from Rhode Island come up for our state tourney.. they could still come up now but despite it being a chance to qualify for nationals against lesser competition they chose not to come back because of the referees... true story look it up!

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:53 am

More Ring Rabble Rousing from ChiKid. I would pay good dollars to see you ref a JV game. Talk about hoots and hollers from the stands !!!!!!!!

Well, gentlemen good night. Adjudicators need their sleep for all the adjudications that need to be done tomorrow.

You can feel things are starting to peak heading into the 2nd half of the season. There will be more twists and turns. It's something special to look forward to.

I can't wait !!!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty Chikid is correct

Post  basketballtime Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:54 am

It pains me to say this but Chikid is correct on this one. I have said this in the past and would love to know why they don't have head officials coming to some of the games and video them just to make sure they have good crews on the floor? I don't see why they can't do that? It would honestly make the game better in every aspect don't you think? What other kind of work does not have a boss that looks over your shoulder occasionally to make sure your up to snuff with you work? scratch

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty IF I REFFED

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:55 am

If I reffed would it be acceptable to hoot and holler? I thought that was frowned upon since it is sportsmanship week and this is only High School basketball. lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty boy i go to sleep early and miss all the good stuff

Post  GNG Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:47 am

for the record the bg faithful have no problem saying milford is the best team in the state.IF bg is fortunate enough to win d1
title{and notice i capitalized if,because it is a big if} that would be more then enough for us.I will blog this,last night was the 1st game since summer ball where bg had their whole roster healthy {if only it stays that way}, fourteen different players found their way into the scoring column.Pinkerton beating Dover last night sets up a nice matinee matchup with the Astros today.
One other thing,I can remember blogging early in the season 2 years ago that bg had the best football team in the state and people lighting me up for writing it,saying d2 is horrible.I know how competitive d2 is in football and hoops,and I know how good milford is.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:45 am

I go to a CHS LHS girls game....and miss all the forum chat...

Okay, the post game trek to Billy's probably was why I missed the forum chatter.

I do agree that having some guidance for refs would probably help the game. On WGAM a week or two back, one of the coaches, cannot recall which so I apologize for not attributing my source, mentioned integrating the 3 ref rotation earlier than the post season so that refs could adjust to the three ref combo prior to post. Wouldn't that be great too especially to mentor developing refs as well?

Regarding the comment earlier about refs being adults and being able to take it... my take on this is that we're still setting an example for kids who may/do read this forum. Quite frankly, if I have a disagreement with someone I take it to them one on one. Posting anything about a particular ref/coach on the forum is not going to improve any situation... but it does set an example for kids that I don't think benefits them.

Did you know that if a coach or player comments publicly about a ref or calls he or she can be suspended by the NHIAA for up to a year from competition. Truth... and under the previous director they did enforce this with players and schools.

Now, the teacher in me bristles at this because of a little thing called the First Amendment. I'd prefer to see them take action with the schools and not the athletes. (I'm also unconvinced they'd win in court by going after an athlete). But, from a different perspective... the perspective of an adult severely disappointed by the negative behavior at games on the court and stands.... I do appreciate that respect is part of their expectations.

Now I ... clearly need coffee... so do not edit for grammar, Assistant

Last edited by Tulliver on Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:59 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty tulliver if i hadn't moved to merrimack

Post  GNG Sat Feb 05, 2011 8:55 am

25 years ago,I would probably be living at billy's.I graduated with billy,for my money the best sports bar in nh.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:12 am

Funny you should say that GNG, I think Billy owes me a diploma, or at least some sort of certificate of completion for sampling the entire menu, both food and beverage over the course of several post-college years.

I know one thing, if I was the post game at Billys I would not be awake right now!

The Forum has always allowed discussion about Referees, I mean its our favorite topic here. As long as there is not flaming or blatant attacking of the individual, questioning calls, discussing calls and officiating in general is allowed.

Just post like adults, and we'll all get along just fine here Smile
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:15 am

Three game reports up on NHSportsPage. Tully...please read my article prior to drinking coffee, it will probably make more sense and you'll miss all the grammatical errors and journalistic blunders!

Dave Haley had Milford/Souhegan
I had Newmarket/Derryfield
Pete Tarrier had Central/Londonderry

http://www.nhsportspage.com/
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Feb 05, 2011 11:53 am

"Regarding the comment earlier about refs being adults and being able to take it... my take on this is that we're still setting an example for kids who may/do read this forum. Quite frankly, if I have a disagreement with someone I take it to them one on one. Posting anything about a particular ref/coach on the forum is not going to improve any situation... but it does set an example for kids that I don't think benefits them.

Did you know that if a coach or player comments publicly about a ref or calls he or she can be suspended by the NHIAA for up to a year from competition. Truth... and under the previous director they did enforce this with players and schools."

Tulliver

Excellent post Tully. Unfortunately, you see too many times when a coach or parent complains and whines Ad nauseum about officiating. Guess who is the most unfortunate receiver of this Ad nauseum complaining? The son, daughter or player of the coach or parent. Children and players do go by example. As they are becoming older and better basketball players they display the characteristics of a parent or coach. If the Apple tree whines and complains and is bitter about officials then a lot of little apples are produced doing the same thing.

So sad.

About the 3 man crew doing games in the regular season to prepare for the 3 man crews in the playoffs it comes down to the simple factor of cost. If you are going to do 3 man crews, for example, in the months of Feb and March in the last 2 weeks of the regular season, this 3rd official has to be paid. The school districts would have to pay and this will never happen.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty It is not about cost.

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:16 pm

I wouldn't say it is about cost. Most of the referees in the area are begging to be a part of playoffs. I know they did the 3 man rotation for the cost of 2 in the past and I bet they could be talked into it again. Do not get me wrong but it is a pretty good payday to ref these games. I do not think it is right to talk their wages but they get paid pretty good for the time spent. I guess that is why it does not bother me at all to tell a guy he is mailing it in. Especially since I do not mention names here so for the most part we are discussing the calls and not connecting it to the actual person unless they were at the game and if they were they already have an opinion and can agree or disagree in that case. As for the apple falling far from the tree, that is the coaches responsibility to reign kids in if they let the official making a call effect them. My son has many reactions at bad calls (probably because he is an apple and I am a tree) but I do not remember him getting a technical or anything so I believe he seems to be able to play through it. So far he has survived his time as a apple... lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:21 pm

No, you're right ChiKid. At your place of work or someone else's we'll just train the new guy for a day or two and ask the employees he or she works with to take a pay cut for that day or two so the new guy can train with the more experienced employees. I guess that would go over well for the existing employees at the company, wouldn't it?

Ohhh wait, you said it's not right to talk about referee's wages, so I'll end my post Razz

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty If you love your job you would do it for free

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:29 pm

My point was most guys think it is a honor to be involved in the playoffs and state title games. I thought it was admirable for them to take the pay cut to have three on the court in the past. Maybe because they realize they need three guys and the wage is still not bad for the amount of time they actually spend on the court. I will not talk wages but I did have a person in a game in the past point out it is more expensive to have a referee at a game than it is a police officer... lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 pm

chicagokid43 wrote:If you do not think I could do as good as the group that did the JV game in AMherst tonight you are funny. The reffing in this state is one of the lowest in the country. I talked with someone tonight that is in full agreement. He wants to add training and evaluations into his tourneys so hopefully help the referees understand the things they miss.
It is not just me.. I am very outspoken but most would agree... accept maybe the refs that are so sensitive about it. Five years ago the state AAU tourney had some teams from Rhode Island come up for our state tourney.. they could still come up now but despite it being a chance to qualify for nationals against lesser competition they chose not to come back because of the referees... true story look it up!

That's a pretty bold statement...thousands of officials, 50 states...

ChiKid you could stand to relax a little on the officials. These guys are family men and women just like you. They spend A LOT of time learning their craft. But not every one is going to be what you want them to be. Actually, none of them will be. It's very easy to critique somebodys performance from the sideline. Many fans choose to see the officials as a negative part of the game, when in reality, they are the ones that make the game run as smoothly as it does. They are the ones that allow the game to finish...for order to be restored.

In parliamentary procedure that's called the Sargent at Arms. Some people think that's an easy job, especially if things are done correctly, the Sgt. at Arms does not need to intercede at all. But when things go bad, nobody wants to be that person. So when a game gets ugly, it's easy to point figures at a referee...but in truth, they have the hardest job of anybody in that gym, and the public, the spectators, have the easiest.

So point fingers at these guys if you want, yes there are bad ones, good ones and ones in between. But to make a statement that the officials in NH are the worst in the country, I'd like to see some statistics to back that up, and AAU games are hardly a comparison.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty Says who the boss?

Post  basketballtime Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:31 pm

Hey T@F, You might want to ask yourself why would they need to take a pay cut? Oh that's right the boss thinks they need someone in there that can help get the job done right.lol

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:34 pm

Once again a thread turning into something it wasn't intended to do.

I believe this thread was originally called Feb. 4th Game Results.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:35 pm

Officials, officials, officials....it gets REAL OLD doesn't it? Forget the actual BASKETBALL that was played last night.

Mad
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Yes, Asst.

Older than some of the granite in the Granite State.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty OK 47th I forgot about Hawaii and Alaska

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:40 pm

Your right I forgot about Hawaii and Alaska. I see a lot of basketball and I am very rarely happy with both officials but I stand by my words that the depth in officiating is horrible in this state. Lets also be honest about why we need three in NH. Many of the officials in the state (especially in jv games) have trouble keeping up with the play. If I had a nickel for every time I saw a official in a JV game that was bigger than me (and I am big) trying to keep up with teenagers I would be rich. Depth is bad,playing all the games on the same nights make it worse and the training and evaluating system needs work. My opinion and I am sticking to it.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Feb. 4th Game Results - Page 4 Empty Chikid results

Post  basketballtime Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:43 pm

Hey does it matter if they are the best or the worst? The truth of the matter is you need guys who know the game and can call it well. Any boss that hires you for a job requires that you get the best out of that employee so while i don't know where Chikid gets those stats? I will have to say it can get better and the way to do it is for it to come straight from the top. The head of Officials should have some sort of program that keeps all officials up to date and graded on performances. I think he should video and train and teach and be on top of any issues that come up. So no i don't like the blame to go to any of the officials i feel it come straight from the top they are the ones incharge correct?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:43 pm

You're entitled to a opinion ChiKid. But I'm done talking about officials. Too much good hoops was played last night to focus on the officiating which 99 times out of 100 doesn't affect the outcome of a game.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan Sat Feb 05, 2011 12:44 pm

It seems I only get in on referee talk, which is kind of sad, but anyway saying that the reffing is one of the worst in the country probably makes sense. It is in line with the level of play. That is not a knock but NH is one of the worst states for hoops out there. Right? Why would the reffing be any different? Obviously a little sarcasm but think about it for a second...

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next