New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Friday 1/28 Game thread

+12
1380TheSportsAnimal
nhhoopguy
middleschoolball
abball
Salem Bleacher Creature
KG
chicagokid43
Thomas
Tuesday and Friday
nhhssports
EBlessNHSP
GNG
16 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Friday 1/28 Game thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday 1/28 Game thread

Post  goldenbear Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:19 am

With BG defense it really depends on what style the refs call the game. If the refs call hand checks and call the game tight like the South BG game the other team gets to the line and knock down the FT. Migs coaching style is similar to Huggins in the 90's with Cincinnati. Play aggressive tough defense and reach in as much as possible the refs cant and wont call everything. I am not trying to be negative but it is the reality of watching a BG game.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Friday 1/28 Game thread - Page 3 Empty Can't agree enough

Post  basketballtime Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:32 am

Goldenbear is dead on with that one. Which makes me wonder why it's still allowed? When this isn't called like it should be it gives a huge advantage to the defender weather they have basketball ability or not. And it takes away from the game while also taking away the good abilities we would see from the real basketball players out there on the court. In other words there is no place for it in basketball it's garbage and ruins the game.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:39 am

Because for some reason it is respected, another big time college program plays the same way as BG, hand check all over the court, lunch threes, and take a lot of flop/ Charges,

I don't blame Bg at all it works and they have 10 deep so they can afford the foul trouble if the game is called tighter. I blame officials for letting them get away with it and the national media for giving the college coach to much respect.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Friday 1/28 Game thread - Page 3 Empty What ever happened to common sense?

Post  basketballtime Sat Jan 29, 2011 10:46 am

Anyone that truly understands basketball or any other sport for that matters knows that when you allow a defender to grab or bump or hand check the opposing player it ruins the game. So why is it the officials don't just call it when it happens? What ever happened to coaching kids to move their feet? scratch Rewarding kids that do this all the time is just punishing the kids that play the game right?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Friday 1/28 Game thread - Page 3 Empty t@f

Post  GNG Sat Jan 29, 2011 11:06 am

you had your chance,merrimack would not be a good game to be at the jade after thegame. the locals tend to get upset when you have a 1000 point scorer,a unh bound football stud, a shrine bowl qb,an a 3 sport hornets nest dude,who all play guertin hoops and live in merrimack.Met the sport page guy last night seems like a good man,nh hoops sure has a PLEATHORA of good blog sites.T@f ,we even had a designated driver to get you home last nite.at least 5 celebratory shots were had{i think i am still buzzed}lot of good hoops talk.my predictions went to the crapper,guertins schedule gets alot more favorable now.I would rather play memorial and trinity every week,what a blast. We will be at the 99 before the salem game,we went there before the football game and had a great time.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  carp24 Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:20 pm

I totally agree with bballtime...the allowance of constant hand-checking and bumping of the ballhandler allows the lesser talented team to control the tempo and and removes the more talented teams advantage...all because the ref's don't want to control the game...this was supposed to be a point of emphasis for the officials to regulate this year...it makes the game a lot less enjoyable to watch and participate in...physical play is good and should be expected, but there is a right and a wrong way to defend...

carp24
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Friday 1/28 Game thread - Page 3 Empty for the 1st time all season

Post  GNG Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:01 pm

bg will have their total roster,cuips will be back as well as big joe mac,6 ft3,and 6 ft5.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Friday 1/28 Game thread - Page 3 Empty Where is the Outrage

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:45 pm

When Milford fans say the same thing Goldenbear does T and F is all over with his referee justification and bashing of Milford fans mainly myself. I guess you have to be from Nashua to complain about referees on this site!

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Sat Jan 29, 2011 3:27 pm

Do you consider it hand checking if the offensive player initiates the contact? Shouldn't that be -gasp- a player control foul? Remember a defender "acquires" the right to space on the court based on rules discussed previously (obtain legal guarding position). Then he/she can maintain that by moving with the offensive player. If the offense violates your space and that results in contact with the hands - who's at fault? If the offensive player does a jab step and/or crossover, then he/she has to get his/her torso past the defender in order for the defender to lose their legal guarding position. Think about how many times a game this happens and how fast it happens - is the contact that invariably made a foul or just incidental contact (rule 4-27 - look it up if you're interested).

I agree playing defense requires moving your feet, but the shorts players wear don't usually come with pockets... So if you're defending you have to do something with your hands - keep a hand out there to keep space isn't necessarily wrong. Putting your hand on the hip of your opponent and turning him/her is not right. If you're close enough to the court you may hear the official telling the players to watch their hands.

Yes - it's a gray area, but just because the hands make contact doesn't mean it's a hand-check and yes it probably needs to be called more, just like a ton of other fouls.... Funny last week at the BG/Exeter game - there were people complaining about too many fouls being called - 27 in the first half alone... Similar in the 2nd half, although I don't have a count. So the axiom of call it and the contact will stop was proven wrong in that game. Strange that only 1 player fouled out, but there were lots with 3 or 4 fouls.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Friday 1/28 Game thread - Page 3 Empty JAF a hand check is a hand check

Post  basketballtime Sat Jan 29, 2011 4:11 pm

When you watch kids that hand check they are trying to gain an advantage by slowing the offensive player down with their hand or hands then thats a foul period and should not be allowed same goes for the offensive player pushing off the defender with their hands it shouldn't be allowed.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3