New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

I know it is a college story on a High School Blog.

3 posters

Go down

I know it is a college story on a High School Blog. Empty I know it is a college story on a High School Blog.

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Mar 31, 2010 9:31 am

As you guys know I just returned from Indianapolis and while I was there I took a drive and a short tour of the Butler Campus. Last night I was talking with the Guru of NH Hoops Jim Collins and talking about Hinkle Fieldhouse and the campus it made me realize just why basketball is so loved in the state of Indiana. Players there are looked at differently. Just making a varsity team for basketball is an honor. Playing in the game makes you instantly popular and being a all conference guy or all state virtually makes you a star. The game is so glorified in Indiana that everyone wants a part of it.
As we drove up to Hinkle Fieldhouse where the little team from Milan made history and the movie was later filmed. The replay of Bobby Plump's (Jimmy Chitwood to the Non Indiana History guys) last second shot in 1954 was fresh in my mind.
I tried to tell the boys what a cool place this Barn style gym was and why it was so neat that Butler was now a Final Four team. Not sure they really understood why I think this Butler story is the college version of the once filmed movie. It truly is small town vs big country. Eleven out of fifteen roster spots are Indiana High School players. Almost unheard of in todays big time athletics and when you realize the big name players of Indiana are not even on the roster. The kids on the roster didnt get the offers from the UNC and Dukes of the world. Yet hear they are in the Final Four in Indy and their lives will never be the same. These kids are stars and will be the talk of the state for a long time. To me if they can find a way to win two more games the second movie is a must and I would be first in line to see it.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

I know it is a college story on a High School Blog. Empty Re: I know it is a college story on a High School Blog.

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Mar 31, 2010 8:16 pm

Just to let you know the teams I am rooting for in this weekend's Final Four in order are:

1) Butler
2) Butler
3) Butler
4) Butler

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

I know it is a college story on a High School Blog. Empty Re: I know it is a college story on a High School Blog.

Post  ItsOnlyAGame Thu Apr 01, 2010 10:01 am

Chikid...Great experience and well said. How can "average Joe" not root for Butler? It's a great story and one that we can all relate to. The big time programs are all such money driven machines. It is so great to see a Butler emerge with a chance to realize a dream. When Butler plays in the Final Four, watch the intensity level that they play with. I am sure that it will be a notch above Michigan State's. I know it's splitting hairs but you just have to know that these kids know that this is a once in a lifetime opportunity whereas the big time programs are more or less expected to be there every year. I KNOW I'll be pulling for Butler. We are ALL underdogs and love rooting for a part of ourselves. Thanks for the insight on Butler, Chikid.

ItsOnlyAGame
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down