New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

State Power Rankings

4 posters

Go down

State Power Rankings Empty State Power Rankings

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:11 pm

Lets discuss NHSportsPage.com's cross-class power rankings, you'll find them here:

NH Sports Page Power Rankings

Dave Haley does a good job over at NHSportsPage.com, and I'm not sucking up to him because I write a few game reports a year over there, I think he's pretty fair when it comes to these rankings. I've yet to meet anybody who covers the entire state from Pittsburg to Keene as well as he does from talking to coaches and players to covering games.

Here's the rankings if you haven't clicked the link:

1. BG
2. Trinity
3. Milford
4. Dover
5. Memorial
6. Merrimack
7. Pelham
8. Conant
9. Winny
10. Alvirne
11. Pinkerton
12. Campbell
13. Souhegan
14. Bow
15. Londonderry
16. Pembroke

I really can't argue much with his top 6 or 7. I think Milford might be a bit better than Trinity, but unfortunately we may never know and it would be pretty close eithe way. Winnacunnet to me is a bit high, they underperformed in the Oyster River tournament and although I think McKenna is a fantastic coach and gets so much out of his kids night in and night out, I'm just not sure they're a top 10 team in the state.

To me, Pinkerton and Campbell are ranked too low....Campbell is for real, and although they play in a lower division, from people I've talked to (heresay but it is what it is) they've been playing like a cohesive unit that could play with anybody in the state this year. Again, unfortunately we'll probably never know...looking forward to their rematch with Conant however.

Which brings me to another topic...why does Campbell play Conant twice, but not Winnisquam or Berlin at all? Yea...ok so its a 18 hour bus ride to Berlin...but seriously we need to know whos better! Laughing Makes for interesting March play I suppose when the two teams haven't played one another.

Interesting Souhegan is on this list...I mean yes their undefeated (except for the beat down in the Keene Holiday Tourney) and they beat the champs Portsmouth, but their other wins are against Plymouth (barely) John Stark and Monadnock...Why not put Berlin in there who's beating teams on average to the tune of 17 points per game.

Power rankings are fun to discuss...like I said I like most of Mr. Haleys picks, and hopefully he doesn't read this or you guys might be reading my game report on the Nashua Pennichuck 4th graders victory over Amherst St. Elementary next week...so please everybody take my comments with a grain of salt. One of the interesting things about a Cross-Class power rankings is we'll never know for sure in New Hampshire - because there is NO ultimate tournament to declare a State Champion.

Hey...the more we talk/write/complain about it, maybe somebody at NHIAA will be listening/reading one of these days....

So what do you guys think about NHSP's rankings? Agree...disagree...don't care??
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

State Power Rankings Empty Milford and Ultimate state champ suggestion

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Jan 12, 2010 7:51 pm

The best teams in the state often get jipped when it comes to the class L vs I and M vs S all star games that are held at NHTI after the season. Why not add two games that day and let I and L play a "friendly" and M vs S as well the same day. This would allow a few things. The 4 best teams a chance to showcase their entire roster and the all star teams would be able to add a few extra players that wouldn't normally get a chance to play that day. All in one day, more fans,more players, more scouts may be interested as well. I think it is time for this state to showcase its basketball players and give the kids one last game to enjoy before they move on. I am sure we could raise enough money for refs and the attendance would be god if the advertising on these blogs, NHSPORTSPAGE and NERR was done in advance. Cmon NHIAA lets get this accomplished for the players and the fans.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

State Power Rankings Empty Re: State Power Rankings

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:27 pm

Campbell over Pelham tonight....at least I'm a little justified for my post earlier today Razz
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 13, 2010 12:59 am

West just barely didn't make this list, but they deserve to be in. They did beat Alvrine, the 10th ranked team, 42 - 39. Right now, West has the answers while Alvrine still has question marks. Even though Bow is ripping it up in Class I right now, when they played Class L teams in the QCIBT, they weren't very impressive. I think Bow's ranking is too high.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:17 am

Good point on Alvirne, they haven't exactly had Salems schedule so far...that said you can only play the games in the order they come. I agree West is underrated at this point in the season and you may see some teams overlooking them.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Wed Jan 13, 2010 1:25 am

Here's mine:

1) Dover
2) BG
3) Merrimack
4) Trinity
5) Memorial
6) Milford
7) Conant
8 ) Campbell
9) North
10) West
11) Alvirne
12) Pelham
13) Winnacunnet
14) Pinkerton
15) Bow
16) Exeter

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:33 am

I like those rankings Jeremy. I have talked to some Class L coaches who think that Conant and Campbell could compete in L and be high in the standings. They point to the synergy and the toughness both teams display playing as a TEAM. The funny thing is that take away a couple of baskets for Memorial and add a couple of baskets for Pinkerton and it wouldn't be surprising to see Pinkerton ranked 5th or 6th and Memorial to be ranked 12th to 14th in these power rankings. I see Bow makes the cut in your rankings also. I know that it's fun to see teams from different classes in this poll because it makes for good conversation, but if Bow had played some Class L schools to start the new year instead of I schools, then they wouldn't be in the mix.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jan 13, 2010 10:43 am

There's also some really good teams in the Lakes Region and Northern regions of the state that really don't get a lot of press, or discussed mainly because I just don't think we have people in the forum in those areas. Teams like Berlin and Winnisquam who are really having fantastic seasons. Does that mean they belong the list? I dunno, probably not, but maybe they do? Historically the Southern most populated schools are the better teams, makes sense, but you have to figure there's a group of 5-7 kids at some school that could really bring it and take it to a team like Merrimack, Trinity or BG. Everybody loves a Cinderella story...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down