New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Shot Clock Not Likely in NH

+5
GNG
EBlessNHSP
The Observer
TheDeafPanther07
Tuesday and Friday
9 posters

Go down

Shot Clock Not Likely in NH Empty Shot Clock Not Likely in NH

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 25, 2013 11:09 pm

From today's UL. Don't hold your breath for a shot clock in NH.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20130125/SPORTS21/130129424

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Shot Clock Not Likely in NH Empty Re: Shot Clock Not Likely in NH

Post  TheDeafPanther07 Sat Jan 26, 2013 12:00 am

I've been assiting/coaching HS boys basketball for about 4 years now and I am against a shot clock. It would speed up the game and rush it. Some one in the article (maybe Coach Migs?) said that it would "reward defenses." Getting a stop rewards defenses. Plus the cost to put them in is expensive and not cost-effective.

I'm a lady against the Shot Clock! The game is fine!

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer Sat Jan 26, 2013 5:44 pm

This is very disappointing to hear. The game in NH is awful compared to the rest of the country.

To respond to the last comment. You think that running a minute off the clock without shooting and just running around is a good form of basketball? A shot clock would speed up the game yes, but most teams shoot the ball within 20-30 seconds (and the clock resets if you hit the rim, isnt that fancy). The clock would improve the end of high school games and prevent teams with a 1 point lead from running in circles passing the ball for the last 2:30, playing not to lose.

Plus, every form of basketball after high school has a shot clock. To not install it does a disservice to the players, in my opinion.

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Jan 27, 2013 9:55 am

Internationally they use a shot clock from age 12 on. Its borderline ridiculous we don't use one here in NH for our highest level of High School competition.

We should be using it at the onset of organized basketball, at the very least Junior High. There are too many pro's to list...and very few, if any, cons. You want a better basketball player, better coach and a better game in general, then the shot clock is an intricate part of the equation.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:20 am

I agree with you Elliot.

Not gonna happen though. Too much red tape.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sun Jan 27, 2013 2:59 pm

Agreed it is needed

Last edited by goldenbear on Sun Jan 27, 2013 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:35 pm

Shot clock is long overdue inHS basketball. I
would rather see basketball played in the last few
minutes of a close game rather than a game of keep-away!

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDeafPanther07 Sun Jan 27, 2013 3:38 pm

I think the word "needy" is too severe a word. If a coach wants to use his Delay game with 2 mins left, that his/her decision. I personally wouldn't, I would keep running my offense and just have them reverse a it a few more times than normal and than score. The game has good flow and timing and I find the shot clock to be an unneeded bother on all levels.

For those who say everyone else uses it, that is a false statement. Only 8 states use the Shot Clock for High School basketball, just saying.

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:50 am

Only 8 in the U.S. Internationally they use it from a much younger age than HS. And we invented this game!

Teaching kids the game using the rules that are used at the highest level is really a no brainer. I know there are some minor rule differences between each level, but the use of a shot clock, or not, is not minor, it's huge.

And it's not about end of game situations as much as it is the entire flow of the game. Goody's quotes in the article are 100% true. His teams would never have been close against the Tyler Roche led Central squad without taking advantage of holding on to the ball. A few years back I saw a Oyster River team hold the ball for over 4 minutes at half-court vs. a stronger Portsmouth team while the crowd boo'd b/c it game them a chance to shorten the game and win. We've all seen that scenario, and its ridiculous. While completely within their right to do so, nobody gains from that.

So if most people want this shot clock as it appears here on the forum and based on the quotes from coaches etc in the article - what is the red tape?

Cost? School bureaucracy? NHIAA?

These are all things that can be overcome with a little hard work and dedication by those that believe in putting a better product on the floor. I'll bake brownies myself if it means my local school now has the funds to install a shot clock.

The small amount of research I've done shows that a pair of shot clocks cost $2,000-2,500. There would be a cost to wire them (few hundred bucks?) and of course game costs for an operator - no idea but if anyone's getting more than $25-30 I'd be shocked.

So the first season you're looking at around $3,000 investment and every year after say $500-$750 with maintenance costs factored in. I certainly don't want to get into the Friday Night Lights debate over scoreboards or books, but with a little elbow grease I would think the 25-30 kids/coaches/parents/boosters could raise that money over the course of 9 months.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:08 am

"For those who say everyone else uses it, that is a false statement. Only 8 states use the Shot Clock for High School basketball, just saying. ."

DeafPanther

With the way we have discussed this issue every year for the last 5 to 6 years on the Aceboard and NHSF you would think NH was one of the ONLY 8 states that DIDN'T have a shot clock.

Thanks for clarifying this point, DeafPanther.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 28, 2013 10:11 am

Ha yea, its been beaten every year. A quick internet search will show you the same goes for every other state that doesn't use one. Always a topic of conversation after the first 20-12 game of the year.

If we don't keep talking about it - nothing will ever get changed. Eventually a large enough group will make it happen. Its really not a matter of "if" but more of "when". Its a necessary change, just need the funds and support to do it or for the NFSHSA to mandate it. It'll happen.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:21 am

So would a shot clock fix the "rough play" underneath? What about the hand checking up top? Coaches out of the coaching box? Seems that's what the NHIAA is more focused on.

I'd actually prefer a shot clock - I think you'd see more flow to the game. May even see a coach teaching proper boxing out techniques in order to get the rebounds and a fresh shot clock. Until it's fully support by FED though you won't see it. Cost is just an excuse - let's face it if a school "needs" something they just put it in the budget and we pay for it one way or another.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Mon Jan 28, 2013 9:22 pm

The only thing that would fix the above problems is an overall the way things are done in NH.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Jan 29, 2013 8:57 am

goldenbear wrote:The only thing that would fix the above problems is an overall the way things are done in NH.

Do you mean like starting with the way they select "qualified coaches"?? Laughing Laughing

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  TheDeafPanther07 Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:32 pm

Eliot, I would love to discuss this in person and on the radio. Its an important subject for the good (or worst) of NH basketball.

Another of the main reasons I don't like the shot clock is skill sets of players. It will alienate them more and kids who are average will be pressured even more now that they are under the gun and that is unfair to them. Games have nice flow and games aren't in the 30's like a Georgetown game was. The average score is probably still in the high 40s to low 50s. I just don't see any use for a Shot Clock and Eliot, you said $3000 like it wasn't a big deal...some schools are strapped for money these days and many schools have pay to play and don't make a lot of money for team budgets.

TheDeafPanther07
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:11 pm

JAF wrote:
goldenbear wrote:The only thing that would fix the above problems is an overall the way things are done in NH.

Do you mean like starting with the way they select "qualified coaches"?? Laughing Laughing

I mean he NHIAA should go away how they do the schedule and divisions, the official board needs an overall etc.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:38 am

Do the prep schools in NH (Tilton, Brewster, PEA, etc.) use a shot clock?

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:47 am

Varsity prep school teams use a shot clock.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:37 pm

SeacoastDad wrote:Do the prep schools in NH (Tilton, Brewster, PEA, etc.) use a shot clock?

Yep, 35 second clock.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down