New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

PLayer of the year.

+3
boxout
EBlessNHSP
chicagokid43
7 posters

Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty PLayer of the year.

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Mar 14, 2010 8:54 pm

Rumor has it that Jake Woodward is the player of the year for class I. Not sure of the total team but Mike was told that he is second team. I was very impressed with Woodward I believe O'Loughlin is the better over all player but no doubt that Woodward helped the Lebanon team to quite a season. Congrats to him on the award.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty Re: PLayer of the year.

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:04 pm

I've heard the same rumor. I never saw Jake play. The coaches of Class I must have had a ton of respect for him.

When they are released I assume they will be posted at this link:

http://www.eteamz.com/nhbco/handouts/index.cfm?cat=137230

But as you can see they don't have any "handouts" for this topic yet, which is 2009-2010 All State Teams. NHBCO hasn't updated their site for about a week and a half so I'll keep checking and post as soon as I hear. The newspapers may hear before the NHBCO updates their site.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:56 pm

Chi-kid are you referring to mikey as 2nd team or O'loughlin??

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty Mikey 2nd team, Mike O first team. Holder to Honorable Mention

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:30 pm

Mikey 2nd team, Mike O first team. Holder to Honorable Mention

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty Impressive Woodward

Post  boxout Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:29 am

So his first name is Jake, he is also going to St. Johns full boat to play baseball. He is a left handed pitcher who tops out at 90 MPH. His dad played for the Red Sox in the 80's. Rob Woodward. I saw Jake go up for a lay up with three Milford players on him and he got fouled and I was completely impressed with the explosion that kid has in his legs. There is a chance Jake could be drafted as well, this years. Class I basketball POY and full boat to St. Johns, great accomplishments.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty Woodward actually went up for a dunk.

Post  chicagokid43 Mon Mar 15, 2010 12:28 pm

Woodward actually tried to dunk that and got blocked by Kyle Nelson. Unfortunately he was fouled by the rest of Milford. However I do think the layup on the other side of the hoops shielding Kyle Nelson off by using the rim would have been the better choice that time. Right?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty Attempted Dunk

Post  boxout Mon Mar 15, 2010 5:07 pm

I agree with you that he was attempting to dunk, it was amazing. He exploded, I guess the thing you don't understand with his attempted dunk and Milford's missed dunks. He had three guys on him and got fouled, clearly fouled. Milford misses their dunks on fast breaks off of steals and the player is all alone. Milford players can't dunk with someone guarding them, obviously when they miss them on fast breaks. The Milford center technically did not block that shot as the player was fouled. I wonder how he was able to do that without slipping on the horrendous court. If he did try to dunk it the way you are saying he would have missed it and may not have gotten fouled. The kid took off from about 3 feet in front of the free throw line in the key. He is not Micheal Jordan. I can't believe you are all hurt about the missed dunks, these kids will have their chance to dunk, next year. They are one year away from dunking on a consistent basis, they are kids so they have no patience. I just hope they don't lose by two up in Durham because someone misses a wide open dunk, when a lay up would have done the same thing.
What is that website you are talking about that you run your video footage from? I hope they don't play that much at their 20 year reunion, the rest of the class will be bored out of their minds. Not too mention it is a little Al Bundyish. Watching with family members 20 years from now is a very good point.
Hopefully the Milford Coach is telling these kids to play smart, don't stand around on offense, box out, rebound, don't dunk. I am sure he is, I just wonder if they will listen.
Chi-kid I don't want to get into a spitting match with you. I have my opinion and you have yours. You have a dog in the hunt, I don't. My opinion is not as biased as yours. As I have read other threads and clearly they support my theories.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty POY and All-state announcements

Post  carp24 Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:10 pm

The All-State teams for all classes as well as POY and COY will be released in this week's Sunday papers (Leader, Monitor, Telegraph)...and then all players will be recognized at the Granite Games this Sunday @ the Tech. The coaches got all the info this past weekend so they could tell their kids to be there, etc...but need to keep it in house for the sake of the papers.

carp24
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty I guess I just dont understand

Post  chicagokid43 Mon Mar 15, 2010 6:34 pm

I guess I just do not understand why you were pleased with his attempted dunk in traffic that didnt go in when you think the dunk should be illegal. That was all I was pointing out. Had that kid been taught to pull up and bank the 5 footer in he may have gotten a foul and a easy shot attempt.
But like you said you seen so many of our games that you know the Milford group has missed 8 or 9 dunks each and yet you believe that you seen Lebanon enough to know that kid is more capable and a higher percentage dunker in traffic. I do not get the argument that is all.

I also think the videos and the website is a great way of helping with recruitment. In fact I was able to give the website address to prep schools and some local colleges via email and got some very favorable feedback. O top of that if you dont think these guys would like to sit around in a few years and watch a game then you may not know athletes in general. Athletes of all levels like to look back and see what they once were.

But then again maybe we can agree to disagree.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty You are right you don't understand

Post  boxout Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:27 pm

Once again you are not watching the video of that dunk. He would have never gotten a 5 foot bank shot off. It would have been blocked so he did the right thing and went up as strong as possible and drew the foul. I am surprised that you don't get the difference between going up strong for a dunk with three players draped all over you and missing it and getting fouled and going to the line for two. That doesn't even count as a shot when you get fouled unless it goes in. I also never stated that he should be dunking but his ups are higher than any Milford dunkers. He showed it on that one play. Once again the Milford dunkers are leading a fast break when they miss their dunks, they are not getting fouled, they are flat out missing the dunk, they are not going to the line. The are missing out on two points. Now you are putting words into my posts, I never said anything about other teams not being allowed to dunk. I do see more Class I teams then you because I am not going to every Milford game. I have no interest in seeing Milford play Monadnock or Con-Val. So I would go see Bedford or Souhegan against whomever they are playing. I did say Milford should not be dunking because they are only successful about 20% of the time. You can defend the dunk all you want, but if you miss one dunk that is one dunk too many. No coach at the college level is impressed with a player who misses dunks when the layup counts the same. You are really too old to be in love with the dunk and not understand the value of getting the sure two versus the missed dunk. It is basic basketball. I can think of plenty of things these players can do that would make them better than learning how to dunk all the time. How about working on their left handed lay ups and short jumpers? That is more valuable than being able to dunk.
Once again you are putting words into my posts that I never stated. I did say that to play old game tapes at a class reunion would be silly and Al Bundyish. But if the team is sitting around with each other ten years from now then yes pull them out. You can judge my athletic ability over a post? I can tell that maybe you never played sports by your support of people missing dunks. How many assists has that point guard lost because the player went up for a dunk and not the layup, so in a way they are hurting teammates stats too, and I would be mad if I were the point guard.
I am sure you are getting positive feedback about the video you are taping, with that said are you showing them the missed dunks? Are you showing them the forced three's with a minute left up by 10? Are you showing highlights from games against Con-Val or Monadnock? These coaches at the next level are well aware of what teams are good and what teams are bad. I also know that these coaches will tell a kid to stop dunking if he misses as many as Milford has it is common sense.
Now with all this said, this is my last post on this subject because I don't think you understand the differences between getting two points and letting two points slip away. How much higher would these players scoring averages, FG%, be if they did hit those? I stick by my statement that Milford misses at least one dunk a game. Yes, I have not seen every Milford game but I have seen players miss more than one dunk in a game at the 12 or so games I have gone too. 20 years ago if you missed a dunk and a coach told you to not dunk anymore, you would be sitting on the bench, plain and simple.
With all that said I do hope the Spartans win this title and come home to being champions. Lets go Milford!!!

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty That doesn't even count as a shot when you get fouled unless it goes in.

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Mar 16, 2010 12:12 am

Boxout,

That line is your line, explain that one to us when you can. You lost me there.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty Why it is not a shot.

Post  boxout Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:48 am

It is not a shot (field goal attempted) for the simple purpose he got fouled. The rule is real simple, if you are fouled while taking a shot FGA and it does not go in, it doesn't count as a FGA. It is nullified. A field goal attempted is a shot taken in a game that is not a free throw. You get to go to the free throw line and take two shots or three if it is a three point shot (FGA) taken. But again if you are fouled on the three, the shot(FGA) doesn't count as a FGA, unless it goes in, then it is a FG and a FGA. A missed dunk is considered a FGA if the ball doesn't go in and one is not fouled. But you don't get punished for putting a shot up that misses if you are fouled in the act of shooting. A layup and a dunk are also considered FGA, if it misses and a FG if it goes in. I do hope that explains things to you, it is basic basketball rules.
It is the same thing with the Milford centers block shot on the attempted dunk by the Lebanon player, you don't get credit for the Block shot because the player was fouled in the act of shooting, doesn't matter if the player who blocked the shot isn't the one who got called for the foul.
Chi-Kid we need to be united today, it is game day and I want the Spartans to win trust me. I like every kid on this team as players, my only thing is to try to make them smarter, better basketball players. Though I do know that most kids aren't coming to this site to read my posts.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  nhbballfan Thu Mar 18, 2010 4:42 am

To say the milford kids should not be attempting dunks is absurd. O'laughlin is among the best dunkers in the state seeing as he came in second (to jordan laguerre)in the bst dunk contest this summer past. If you think he has no business attempting dunks ask Hollis-Brookline or Souhegan more specifically Ryan Redmond. As far as them missing dunks it just shows he wants to go up strong to the rim, any good coach will encourage their players to go strong to the rim. People miss dunks just like they miss lay-ups or jump shots, and I haven't seen anyone being criticized for missing lay-ups on here. I've only seen a hand full of Milford games but every dunk that has been attempted by them was done at the proper time in a game, and generally lead to big swing in momentum.

nhbballfan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty Dunking

Post  boxout Thu Mar 18, 2010 7:57 am

It is absurd? Really a person who is only successful about 20% of the time when he dunks should continue dunking? I have seen many Milford players miss wide open, no body around them dunks. I would also bet that their FG percentage is higher shooting layups than dunks. I would bet my house on it. So what does that mean? It means you take the higher percentage shot. A layup is the highest percentage shot taken in HS basketball. I am not saying these kids should ever be allowed to dunk, but they should wait till next year. Or even start at summer leagues. As far as dunking at a dunk competition big deal. I think it is great they have these things for the players, but it means nothing. A real game is different than a dunk contest. Here is a news update for you, you can go up hard on a layup too. Here is a little analogy for you, should the worst shooter on the team take 3's because he is open? I mean he is open, shoot when your open right? You people really have no idea about coaches, they want to see the person score the 2 points, that is what the game of basketball is about, who scores the most points. When you miss a dunk, your team is not getting points. You hear coaches say all the time about their players, "I am so happy that he missed that dunk".
I will agree with you, you have not seen many Milford games. I have seen many Milford games and seen missed dunks that turned into emotion builders for the other team.
Chi-Kid good point about Reggie Miller, I will give you that. But now I want you to name me 10 other instances where that happened again. I also know that Reggie did not go up strong and was criticized for it as well.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty boxout about dunking

Post  hoops45 Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:27 am

boxout...you obviously have no clue. These kids are taught to go to the rim hard and try to finish. So what, they miss a couple of dunks. Have any of them cost them a game yet? No.... you asked for examples...how about everytime someone goes on a fast break against Lebron James and because they try to be cute with the ball he throws it in the stands? Yes, obvouisly no one is Lebron James out there(I feel like i have to say that because your so ignorant to how you have to finish to play at the next level). When these kids play this summer in National tournaments they have to try to dunk everything. Especially in these situations which you talk. You never know when a more athletic player is going to come in and block it because you lay it up. It seems like you post just to complain about something with them doing it. If you really have been to alot of Milford games this year, then you would not be saying what your saying. I would say Holder has probably 7 or 8 dunks at least and Mike O has about 15-20. So lets take Mike O...maybe he has missed 4-5 dunks this year. Big deal. None have hurt the team. For you to say you have seen it as momentum swings for the other team??? Correct me if I am wrong, but they have only lost 1 regular season game and 1 Xmas game. For you to also say that you got off the phone with two people who said he didnt get fouled...I believe Chikid has the tape and can again and again disprove you on that. I guess my point is, your like most people in NH...ignorant to what it takes to play in college, and probably a person who thinks we dont need a shot clock even though every other state has one. Oh, to correct people as well, notice that college coaches are sitting in the gym a watching these kids play. I dont think its because they are laying the ball up...its because they are showing they are more skilled and athletic then other players. part of that athleticism is dunking the ball or attempting to dunk! It shows they have the guts to attempt these things...and coaches like that.

hoops45
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty He was criticized for

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Mar 18, 2010 8:37 am

Reggie Miller was criticized for one thing, not dunking the basketball. Check the clip to refresh your memory.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HlShHkHSfsQ&NR=1

Now I assure you had Miller tried to dunk that ball he would have taken his 90% free throw shooting butt to the line for two.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:45 pm

Chi-kid you've taped all the correct? You also watch all the tapes after, I really think that boxout is trying to stir things up because I know you watch the film after the games and you of all people would know if Milford has only made 20% of their dunks, I'm 99% sure this is not even close to the percentage, but have they really only converted on 20% of their dunks?

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty No DOubt he is way off

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:57 pm

No Doubt that Boxout is way off in his numbers. I will not go back and watch 40+ hours of game film I have but I think the total misses for the season are 1-2 for Jamie and 3-4 for Mike O. No one else on the team has tried in a game so I very confident in those numbers being close. So to put that in a percentage for you. Mike O has about 16 0r 17 dunks and has misses say 4 so he was 4 for 21. That is over 80% so he is no where close. Jamie has less dunks possibly 7-8 once again about an 80% clip.

I do think it is funny that this person has seen the boys play 12 games this season. So is this a parent that isn't there all the time for their child or is it a fan of the team?
I guess if this is a fan we probably know who that is. Maybe we should ask them for a real name?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

PLayer of the year. Empty It really doesn't matter

Post  basketballtime Thu Mar 18, 2010 9:57 pm

Let's face it any one knows that these kids are pushed by their aau coaches to go up strong and dunk the ball never mind any future college coach sitting in the stands watching a 6-1 gaurd or 6-3 gaurd go up strong during a game and slamming it home would definitely be getting the coaches attention.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down