New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

My Power Poll ballot revealed

5 posters

Go down

My Power Poll ballot revealed Empty My Power Poll ballot revealed

Post  tarrier Tue Oct 11, 2011 9:27 pm

These are the Top 10 teams in this week's Union Leader/WGAM/WMUR High School Power Poll.

1. Pinkerton
T2.Salem
T2.Nashua South
T4.BG
T4.Exeter
6.Central
7.Portsmouth
8.Dover
9.Goffstown
10.Trinity

This is how I voted...

Pinkerton
Salem
Nashua South
Exeter
Manchester Central
Bishop Guertin
Portsmouth
Hollis-Brookline
Dover
Trinity

I don't think I have to explain my #1 vote...I still think Salem is the next best team in the state because they have the best single player in the state in Jerickson Fedrick. Don't get me wrong, Armond McRae at Nashua South is very good too, but Fedrick is the one guy who nobody other than Pinkerton has been able to stop so far and I don't see anyone else being able to do it the rest of the way...except maybe when the Blue Devils and Astros meet in the Championship Game. I rank Exeter just behind South and just ahead of Central, but only because Central struggled to beat Londonderry last weekend. I really think all 3 of those teams could knock each other off on a given week depending on who's defense steps up. I think there's a drop off once you get down to 6th place BG because the Cards just don't have a high scoring offense this year and their defense isn't a shut down unit anymore. At least not this season. Portsmouth has a tremendous offense that simply overwhelms you...and they showed they could hang with the big boys when they took Central down to the wire in week 1. I give the nod to D3 Hollis-Brookline over D2 Dover and D4 Trinity because they beat a not so bad D1 Memorial on the road, while Dover got blown out at home by Nashua South in the opening week crossover games. I have Trinity in my Top 10 and Goffstown on the outside looking in because they won at Plymouth, snapping their 40 game home winning streak while Goffstown's most impressive win came against a D2 Merrimack team that I think Trinity would beat as well.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

My Power Poll ballot revealed Empty Re: My Power Poll ballot revealed

Post  SofaKing Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:08 am

I like your thinking behind your ballot. It's much more logical than what the final poll reveals.

I've been trying to figure out why people keep voting for Goffstown. Two weeks ago they beat a HORRIBLE Pembroke Academy team 11-0 (it was 3-0 in the 4th). Last week they were down to Pelham 14-0 before they decided to start playing, and Pelham is gawd-awful. How can people still be voting for them? I think it's based largely on nothing right now. People are just voting for them becuase they did last week.

Weird.

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:28 am

At least BG plays defense Laughing In recent years they have been a bend and don't break defense, but when it comes inside the 20 - they stiffen up or do something to confuse their opponents (just like PA this year). I agree though - they aren't a top 6 team yet - offensive consistency and cohesiveness are holding them back. Another "interesting" team to me is Central. Did you remember that Londonderry got O'Gorman back this past week? He's a game changer for their offense. Central looked bad in the Jamboree - they struggled against Goffstown, but since that time it seems they are getting better. I think Exeter was exposed vs. PA - the ends couldn't contain Smith and Latimore. When the DB's were needed to make a play in open space - they didn't have the speed to catch up. That to me says Federick will have a field day up there this week.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  bumper Wed Oct 12, 2011 3:15 pm

Jaf,

Central played Portsmouth not Goffstown. I saw that game and if Portsmouth could have converted on a 4th quarter 4th down they would have won that game.

Goffstown is not even close to Hollis. Hollis should replace Goffstown, other than that I agree with the poll. Hollis may have one problem. Lack of depth. I saw them once and only saw 12 guys play. Portsmouth and Bedford seem to play 18 - 20.

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:06 pm

Central played Portsmouth in the first official game of the season... They played G-Town in the Jamboree the week before - BG/Salem played after. To say the Central coaches were less than pleased with how the "scrimmage" went (at least that's what I got from being across the field in the bleachers!).

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  SofaKing Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:02 am

bumper wrote:Jaf,

Central played Portsmouth not Goffstown. I saw that game and if Portsmouth could have converted on a 4th quarter 4th down they would have won that game.

Goffstown is not even close to Hollis. Hollis should replace Goffstown, other than that I agree with the poll. Hollis may have one problem. Lack of depth. I saw them once and only saw 12 guys play. Portsmouth and Bedford seem to play 18 - 20.

Bump,

That's weird. In the few games that I've seen, Hollis played 7 different DB's (3 CBs, 4 safeties) and rotated kids through at DL and WR all night...and that included the Memorial and Souhegan games...not just some blow-out against Pelham. At Souhegan, I saw 5 different kids in the backfield (it was a hot day) at various points. In fact, they beat Memorial with both starting WR's out (kids that also start in the secondary) and the back-up TE in for most of the game. Also, if you look at how they've played the last 3 weeks, a lot of kids have carried the ball and scored, and even thought that's "JV time," indications are that opponents didn't pull their starters right away during the blow-outs.

Also, from what I understand, their Freshman team is undefeated and their JV have only lost to Memorial. I'm not so sure I'd agree with "depth" issues for the Cavs.

Also, I think they might have been referring to the Goffstown / Central matchup at the Queen City Jamboree, not the season opener against Central. I saw the Jamboree, and Central really looked lost against Goffstown...but that's why Jamborees are meaningless...it's not like teams are game planning and prepping for those specific opponents.

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  bumper Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:07 am

Sofa,

Watched the first half of the Souhegan Hollis game on film last night. In the first half (not counting special teams) Hollis played 15 players. Two of those only played a couple of plays. The d line rotation was two players one for pass rushing situations and the other for the run. Just before the half the Hollis lineman were bending starting to look tired.

Do not take my observation the wrong way. I believe Hollis is the real deal. After watching the film I think they are better up front than Portsmouth and Pellerin is a stud, he is as good as a the Lane kid but without the attitude. Hollis will end up number one and who knows maybe Bedford two with Portsmouth three. Look out for the Sabers.

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SofaKing Fri Oct 14, 2011 11:45 am

Thanks for the clarification. I certainly don't have the benefit of film!

I think the Sabers have a very good chance of running the table. The HUGE game will be the Bedford game at the end of the season. That could be "win and in" for both teams. Bedford is very talented too...it will be interesting to see how HB does against them.

The good news for HB is that they DO have very good sub-varsity programs. JV took one loss to Memorial, and Freshmen just beat an undefeated Bedford team to preserve their perfect record. So, there likely IS depth there...perhaps it just gets used sparingly because the 1's are that good. Bedford has a ton of depth. They have somewhere over 200 kids total in the program. I think their frosh have over 40. And, most of their players on varsity are juniors. D2 better look out next season.

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Sat Oct 15, 2011 7:15 am

Pete, I bet your ballot looks something like this next week.
PINKY
South
Exeter
BG
Portsmouth
Hollis Brookline
Dover
Trinity
Salem
Central.

BG will end up number 2 this year because they won't lose another game. Meanwhile, South,Exeter,Central, and Salem will be bumping heads, and knocking each other down in the polls.

I love the fact the Central coach took ownership for the loss. TOO many coaches come up with excuses, WE ARE YOUNG, WE ARE INJURED. This guy put it on his shoulders for all the penalties.

From what I saw on wmur highlights, Memorial is starting to gell. I saw them in the preseason. They can score on anybody. THEIR PROBLEM IS THEIR DEFENSE.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

My Power Poll ballot revealed Empty GREAT SECOND SHOW TNT

Post  GNG Sat Oct 15, 2011 10:04 am

Really good flow to the show.

FYI - I had to go to the wave to get it on my computer,wgir wouldn't let me on.

You might want to consider getting one seacoast coach on every week since you guys are on over there. I don't care,but the seacoast listeners might.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down