New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

My Power Poll ballot revealed

4 posters

Go down

My Power Poll ballot revealed Empty My Power Poll ballot revealed

Post  tarrier Mon Sep 03, 2012 5:57 pm

UNION LEADER/WGIR/WMUR FOOTBALL POWER POLL

Sept. 3, 2012

The top 10 high school football teams in New Hampshire, as voted by members of the staffs of the New Hampshire Union Leader, WGIR AM and FM, and WMUR-TV after Week 1 of the 2012 NHIAA season (first-place votes/points in parentheses):

THIS WEEK/  LAST SEASON

1. Exeter, 1-0 (7/79) / 1. Exeter (76)

2. Pinkerton, 1-0 (1/72) / 2. Pinkerton (73)

3. Manchester Central, 1-0 (65) / 3. Manchester Central (60)

4. Nashua South, 1-0 (43) / 4. Bishop Guertin (53)

5. Keene, 1-0 (42) / 5. Nashua South (32)

6. Bedford, 1-0 (32) / 6. Dover (28)

T7. Portsmouth, 1-0 (24) / T7. Bedford (23)

T7. Winnacunnet, 1-0 (24) / T7. Portsmouth (23)

9. Bishop Guertin, 0-1 (23) / T9. Keene (20)

10. Concord, 1-0 (12) / T9. Salem (20)

OTHERS RECEIVING VOTES (points in parentheses): Trinity, 1-0 (9), Nashua North, 1-0 (Cool, Dover, 0-1 (6), Salem, 0-1 (1)

Here's how I voted...and why
1.Pinkerton...I had the Astros 1st on my preseason ballot which was cast before the Queen City Jamboree.  Although they weren't overly impressive in their 20-3 win over BG on Sat I still think they are the best team in the state at this early point in the season.  I guess we'll find out for sure next weekend when they host my #2 team on Sat.

2.Exeter...I actually had the Blue Hawks 3rd in my preseason ballot with Central 2nd, but I really felt it was almost a dead heat between the 2 teams so I went with Central because I thought Exeter would really miss their great, but graduated offensive line from last year's title team.  If last Friday's 42-7 opening night win over Dover is any indication the Blue Hawks will be just fine.

3.Manchester Central...it's kinda hard to drop a team in the poll after a 32-0 shutout win on the road against Timberlane...but like I just said...I had the Little Green and Exeter just about even before I actually saw either team play in person.  Now that I have seen both, I give the slight edge to Exeter because I think their defense is a lot better than Central's...although I also think Central's offense is better...and much more balanced than the Blue Hawks run oriented attack.

4.Nashua South...this is one of those "it's real early in the season and I can't figure out yet who the #4 team is so I'll stick with the team I ranked 4th on my preseason ballot" situations.  That the god's honest truth.  I've got plenty of time to figure it out as the season moves on.  And trust me, it has way more to do with the Panthers having Trevor Knight at quarterback and nothing to do with the fact I'm a Nashua alum(Class of 1988).

5.Keene...they were my preseason #7 so I moved them up a couple spots after their 62-27 thrashing of Salem(who I had 6th preseason before I saw them lose 14-6 to BG in the QCJ and not look good at all in doing so...notice where I have the Blue Devils ranked now?)  Back to Keene...Lucas Luopa is one of the best QB's in the state and he has the players around him to bring the Blackbirds a D2 title.

6.BG...Dropped them a spot from where I had them on my preseason ballot...and moved Keene ahead of them because of how each of those teams handled common opponent Salem...yes I'm aware neither of those games counted, but I'll take 62-27 over 14-6 any day.

7.Portsmouth...Kudos to 1st time starter Donovan Phanor for becoming the 5th different Clippers QB in the last 5 seasons to step in and run the team like a veteran as Portsmouth beat D1 Londonderry 22-10 in their opener.  Get these #s for Phanor...270 yards passing and another 77 on the ground!  BTW, I had the Clips 8th preseason.

8.Bedford...9th in my preseason ballot, a 48-7 stomping of Milford was a pretty good way to keep the Bulldogs firmly in the Top 10.  James Capparell tossed 4 TDs during a 258 yard night...and he did most of that in the 1st half of the blowout win!

9.Winnacunnet...my mistake on my preseason ballot(knowing what I know now) was putting Salem 6th...and leaving the Warriors off completely.  Especially considering what we saw in a 41-7 Winny win over Souhegan in Amherst on Friday.  Tom King from The Nashua Telegraph said it best in the lead of his game story.  Suspended coach Mike Beliveau should feel vindicated because it turns out Winnacunnet was worth "scouting"after all!  Big one for Winnacunnet coming up on Friday night @ Bedford.

10.Trinity...I probably could've gone with a lower echelon team in D1, D2 or D3 in this spot instead of D4 Trinity, but I liked what I saw from the Pioneers in their scoreless tie with Memorial in the Queen City Jamboree...and I know what kind of talent new coach Steve Burns has at his disposal.  Bottom line, I'd rather give a great lower division team some love in the 10 spot than popping in the 5th or 6th best team in D1 or D2.  Just my opinion.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

My Power Poll ballot revealed Empty Re: My Power Poll ballot revealed

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:08 pm

I like your reasoning Pete because you are a very reasonable guy. Wink

I just have a hunch Bedford might climb a rung or two on the ladder before it's all said and done.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:25 pm

I think your ballot is spot on! #1 & #2 will shake out this week. I'll reserve judgement until the following week on Central's positioning as they get to travel to Exeter. Their defense and tackling did not impress in the jamboree and PA posted 35 in a half on Timberlane - yes, I know it's a jamboree... Bedford hosts Winni this week so that ought to say a lot where both those team should be. Lost in the end of the BG/PA game - the #2 QB came out of the game after taking a pretty good lick from a PA player. Cannot remember if that was the fumble play or the second interception though. He was on the sideline getting checked out and the 3rd string QB finished the game.

Got a question for those "football rules" type people. In baseball and basketball, when a player does something malicious against an opponent - he/she is ejected (and thus receives a 1 game suspension). I know football is a physical sport and (ahem) stuff happens; however, how did the PA DB that ripped off the helmet off of a BG player *and* threw it about 7 yards not deserve more than a 15 yard penalty? Wouldn't that be considered a somewhat intentional and malicious act?

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:29 pm

JAF

Didn't see or hear about that, but you have my interest....and I agree with your question that an act such as that should be penalized as lack of sportsmanship.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:02 pm

Wow, Tulliver on the football field? I thought Tully only knows how to navigate a basketball court?

Impressive, to say the least !!!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:05 pm

On the surface Jaf, it would seem the player in question would deserve an immediate ejection from the game for the said act.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Mon Sep 03, 2012 7:30 pm

I like to leave em guessing, T&F

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Mon Sep 03, 2012 8:33 pm

Play occurred on the BG side, right in front of the bench area either on a sweep or screen pass to #7 (Kiczuk)... There was a large scrum I saw the helmet go flying in the other direction and a few seconds later the yellow flag coming from the back judge (good shot too, right at the pile). I believe the call was facemask - so from that I knew it was more than just a helmet "falling off" and perhaps getting kicked. I would think the side judge or umpire would see that play, but they may have been looking elsewhere too. The side judge was probably preoccupied with the spot and who knows who got in front of the umpire - it was a large pile. It's certainly one of those you had to see it type plays. I think once the helmet was seen outside the pile the back judge probably knew someone had to throw a flag. Maybe he didn't see a culprit and what kid is going to cop to that!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down