New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Prep School?

+4
EBlessNHSP
chicagokid43
JT_nh_hs_fan
boxout
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Prep School? - Page 2 Empty Me starting to...

Post  boxout Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:15 pm

comprehend this. Thank you The Assistant I should have asked that as the first thing. No wonder the average student is not taking this avenue. Can't think of too many public inner-city players can even afford 1/2 a tuition break. So they use the no scholarship policy in a deceitful (too harsh a word) way? What type of scholarship would they receive? What type of Grant would be issued for this?
I do know that Prep ball is a very high level of play in NH. I just am trying to figure out why? Why would one not go to FLA or Calif. instead of NH. Some of these prep schools are in the middle of no where.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Prep School? - Page 2 Empty Do they?

Post  boxout Thu Mar 31, 2011 5:25 pm

recruit for things other than sports? More specifically for the 13th year student? At the same Percentage rate? What kid couldn't use another year of maturity. Look at academics, the kid who is going to MIT instead of Harvard, could theoretically go to Prep School for a year and go to Harvard instead of MIT? Does it work like this?
You are right about the gossip, bad question. I just know I hear things having a 19 year old in the house.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Prep School? - Page 2 Empty If you are really

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Mar 31, 2011 7:07 pm

If you are really wanting to get good information I could have a father of a player making this choice give you a call. I have phone numbers maybe talking right to the source of this decision would help explain it.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Prep School? - Page 2 Empty Re: Prep School?

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:48 pm

" am still not getting the difference between going to a CC for a semester and then transferring, versus a 13th year of school? It seems to me that these schools that have a 13th year are strictly athletic related. I have yet to hear of a 4.0 kid going to these schools for a 13th year. If he plays sports yes, but I am once again talking non-athletes. Is the best 5th best Drummer in the state for band, going to Prep School so they can get a D1 or D2 education based on music? Are actors going for another year to get more experience? "

Really not sure where your confusion is coming from. As I said a few times, this is a case by case thing, you are never going to find some kind of all encompassing reason for this on a purely academic level. The athletic component to this is obvious. As far as a drummer or some other non-athletic activity goes, I doubt seriously you would get much of that, but again case-by-case. Maybe that 5th best drummer wants to go to a Big-10 school and play in the marching band but need to improve their academic standing first.

Who exactly do you know who went to a PEA, Brewster or Tilton that turned around and went to a different prep as a post grad?

As far as schools like STA go very few if any go from there to a prep for purely academic reasons. You only have to read the local paers here in the seacoast every June to see that grads from there are going to very very high end academic colleges.

It seems to me your looking to take something that really affects only few , very small percentage of HS school age students to begin with. Pick any HS you want and your not going to find too many kids going to prep after their 4 years in HS. We are not talking about thousands of students who graduate in June in this state that are going to do a PG year next fall.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Prep School? - Page 2 Empty Re: Prep Schools

Post  boxout Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:00 am

NHJT it has become evident that you have a vested interest in this subject. I understand you blogged about this before, however as we all know times change.
Now I can tell by your responses you are an intelligent person, so I am having a tough time myself trying to comprehend your inability to understand my confusion. Maybe I have not explained myself to the best of my abilities. So I will try it one more time. How are students that struggle at Public or Private HS getting into "elite" Prep Schools? Very simple question. These students have had 4 years of HS, they have actually graduated HS. Here is another question then, can you be a 13th year student and not have a HS diploma? So the point is is that these kids are getting an education and an opportunity that other kids are not, why because they are athletes? Why should this be allowed or better yet tolerated in today's economy? It makes me wonder what politician/group actually supported unequal opportunities in education for all, by giving athletes grants and scholarships for a 13th year of school. They want to spend their own money, fine.
Are you telling me that a drummer that wants to go to a Big 10 school is actually going to a Prep School to accomplish this? If it is happening fantastic. If not shame, on the system. It seems to me that this is a "secret way" to get a free 13th year to play sports. Some may even look at it as rewarding someone for struggling in HS. It isn't just athletes that struggle in HS, so everyone should be able to get a grant and scholarship to go to these schools. I agree that this is all case by case, however, the athletic component is pretty prevalent.
I agree that it probably is a small percentage, but percentages can be misleading. Give me total numbers are we talking about 1,000 13th year students? You gave me state numbers, I would like national. Seeing as many of these students are not from NH. You said yourself it happens in every sport at these schools. I go to those recruiting sports web sites and 9 out of the 10 best players in the state of NH are at Prep Schools, and they are not even from this state. How does that work? The small percentages are also in support of your argument, I look at the percentages and say 100% students are affected, not all get a chance for this unique situation. I bet most of society is unaware that this is even going on.
You even told me that these 13th year players play on the same teams as Fr, So, Jr, or Sr in HS. My opinion on this is that some kid or kids every year, that is still in HS at these schools is not getting a chance to play HS ball, they get cut. Why, because some athlete struggles at their public or private HS and is granted a 13th year of education for something they already have a DIPLOMA.
Please don't tell me that a 13th year student is taking the same classes as a Jr in these schools, or worse freshman classes. I don't understand how this would work, you are learning once again something you already have a diploma for. If life can be redundant this is a perfect example. I was always taught that HS is what gets you ready for college, not knowing that we had a 13th year option to improve our grades and standing with potential colleges, and of course work on our basketball skills while we are at it.
I agree that many kids who go to these schools for 9-12th grade are going to high end academic colleges, but if these students are going to high end schools, could they not go even higher with the 13th year, paid by tax payers? I think every child could benefit.
This all looks to me like this is all about sports, not academics.
Chi-Kid I appreciate your generous offer of allowing me to speak to a parent who is going through this, I wish them well, however I will decline the offer. I usually don't take one persons example/experience and base my entire opinion on one person or families experience. You don't always get a clear picture with one opinion. I would also bet that most parents who are taking advantage of this situation are in full support. Now don't get me wrong, if they are flipping their own bill I have no problem with it at all. If a struggling HS graduate is being rewarded for bad grades and given scholarships and grants to go to a private 13th year school for academics is just wrong. One might even think this is an abuse of our educational system. As I have stated, there are many students that could use a 13th year of school to better their futures professionally and academically, not just athletes.
They should be doing what most people do, go to a CC or JUCO and transfer after improving your grades, if they are such great athletes and students. I am talking 13th year students. I am guessing they are not doing this for one reason, a year of lost eligibility.
The entire recruiting thing brings out many more questions, who are they recruiting, athletes? I would be willing to bet most kids who are coming from out of state have never heard of these schools, until approached. So the practice of this technique of recruiting is evident. Once again the 13th year student.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:54 am

If you're an elite basketball player - you've absolutely heard of Brewster, Tilton, Holderness, New Hampton, St. Marks, and many others in this region. It's no secret amongst these teenagers who the national powerhouses are in the Prep basketball scene.

Boxout - I think you might be barking up the wrong tree here. It sounds to me like you really need to speak to someone who has a full understanding of how the Prep system works. I might suggest talking to one of the schools, a guidance counselor at a local high school, or do some research on the web, there's lots of information out there.

http://www.boardingschoolreview.com/

I know you said you wanted unbiased information, but you may or may not get that here, nobody really knows each others vested interests. Good luck with your search of 'real' information, sounds like JT knows the process pretty good, and I though ChiKids comments were spot on. I think to really get the answers you're looking for, you'll need to talk to an institution, contrary to popular belief, I'm sure there are nice enough people there that will answer your questions without trying to get you to open your checkbook at every turn.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobcat Mon Apr 04, 2011 6:06 pm

Not just high level athletes get need based grants. A lot of students at schools do. Prep schools are looking for the best fits for their schools. They are looking for kids that will bring something to the institution.

As far as doing a 13th year, one reason is that sometimes kids need an extra year of maturity prior to college. There are a lot of similarities, but one difference is that prep schools offer structure to a 17 or 18 year old that they will not get in college.

What this really comes down to for most people is the basketball component. There are a few reasons why a kid goes to prep school. The first is that he/she has not met the NCAA qualifications. He/she will go to prep school and work toward achieving a higher standardized test score or to improve gpa. In a 13th year, a kid is allowed to improve on one course (unless he/she has a LD, in which case they are allowed to use 3 courses). The second reason is that a kid is not satisfied with the schools that are involved in recruitment. A kid may have A-10 offers, but can improve to Big East after a year of prep school. The preps in the northeast are by far the best for high level basketball competition on a night in/out basis, so kids go there to develop as a player and play the best competition around. Thirdly, if a kid attends community college or JUCO then they start to use up their eligibility to a four year college/university.

Bobcat
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Apr 04, 2011 9:43 pm

Thanks to bobcat, our resident Prep guru.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  bb603 Thu May 05, 2011 9:28 am

Here"s a situation that happened with the decision based on sports. Kid hopes to go to prep school and get into a DI school for hockey.

Kid does not take his SATs and doesn't prepare for college. He goes to prep school for a year to be able to play hockey in college.

Parents pay about $30,000 out of pocket for tuition and hockey costs.

Kid gets into a DII school that he really doesn't want to go to. Decides to go to the school because he has no other options to play college hockey.

Stay tuned, he starts college in the fall.

I would love to have my son play his sport in college, but I'm not willing to gamble $20 to $30,000 on prep school to hope he gest a better college offer.

Tough decision for anyone in this situation.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Thu May 05, 2011 11:07 am

"Kid does not take his SATs and doesn't prepare for college. He goes to prep school for a year to be able to play hockey in college."

"Kid gets into a DII school that he really doesn't want to go to. Decides to go to the school because he has no other options to play college hockey."

I sincerely wish this young athlete well and hope he has a successful athletic & academic career, BUT...

This is a prescription for disaster! I sure hope he got some level of scholarship money - or mom & dad better have deep pockets. If he does not want to beat that particular institution, it is very likely he will not put in the time & focus required on his studies and will jeopardize his eligibility to play. Based on your description, it appears that he may not be a high-level student, which means academic scholarship money will not be a big contributor towards paying the bill.

Here in the seacoast there was an article in Fosters a month ago written up on Jamie Ferullo and his first year struggles at Providence this past season. (http://www.fosters.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20110405/GJSPORTS_01/704059871). While he did not go to a prep school, he did take two years playing junior hockey to prepare for the D1 collegiate level and he never got on the ice for a weak team. I would advise you to have your friend and his parents read that article.

I have over the past few years been fortunate enough to have some nice conversations with a number of collegiate coaches from D3 to D1. These were from a number of sports (baseball, football, basketball, softball and lacrosse). I have also had the chance to talk with a great number of parents whose children have played or attempted to play at the college level. There is one very common thread that you take away from these chats. Incoming freshmen are never really prepared for the difference in college athletics and academics and their pre-college experiences.

One thing that every parent and perspective player should realize is that no matter what a coach tells you during your recruitment, it is meaningless once you get to school. You are going to get thrown into the meat grinder of very hard core competition. You are no longer the best or one of the best. You are just another freshman who has to PROVE, every day that you belong and can actually contribute to the success of the team. Now, many say they understand this, but when you talk to coaches and the parents after the kids are done college, you realize there a big difference between saying it and truly understanding it.

Another thing coaches have told me. The kids that have the hardest time with this adjustment are the ones who really have never had to sit on the bench and be a back-up player before. In general, athletes who already have had to deal with that tend to deal with the transition from high school star to college athlete better.

You have to remember that another big difference between the high school, select team and AAU levels and college is that the coach makes his living winning games. If he does not produce a winning program, he loses his job. What he promised you or your child is completely meaningless once official workouts begin. If someone other player fits the role for the team better, your kid is going to get pushed to the end of the bench. To think this can’t happen to your child is just foolish. There are plenty of examples in just the past few years of top level talent from our state that struggled mightily and even stopped playing altogether. Being all-state and a top AAU player does not mean anything in college. Just about every player there has the same or better resume of accolades.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2