New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

NHSportsPage Prep School Article

+2
HaleyNHsports
EBlessNHSP
6 posters

Go down

NHSportsPage Prep School Article Empty NHSportsPage Prep School Article

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jun 11, 2012 12:55 pm

None of you have read it yet - but when he posts it tomorrow, be sure head over to NH Sports Page to read it. I got a sneak peak at it today, and it's a very interesting read. I'll be curious to hear opinions, as is Dave.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

NHSportsPage Prep School Article Empty Re: NHSportsPage Prep School Article

Post  HaleyNHsports Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:25 pm

Thanks Assistant,
I was able to interview 5 players/coaches for the article and I got some great opinions/information from all of them. I wanted to take a look at the move kids make in leaving their high school to go prep and get four or five different angles on that topic.

Hopefully the forum members enjoy it, I think it will spark some conversation which I’ll be eager to read.

HaleyNHsports
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Jun 12, 2012 11:28 am

Here's a link to his story: http://www.nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=852
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HaleyNHsports Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:34 am

I think GNG and T & F are on vacation together in Croatia........not a peep from those two.

It's a sad day indeed on the forum....

HaleyNHsports
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Jun 13, 2012 12:15 pm

The crickets are certainly chirping these days...dog days of non-basketball season. ha
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Wed Jun 13, 2012 4:14 pm

I apologize Dave. I am not in Croatia, but I have been in INTENSIVE training. You see I have been challenged by a local sudsologist to an athletic endeavor for a sizable reward to the winner.

As for your article I believe WAR AND PEACE was shorter. Very Happy

I had to read it 3 times. You sure packed a ton of great info in there .

My own take on it is this. A kid like Floras it will help get other d1 schools interested.
However there are only so many Floras's in NH.

I like the idea of keeping kids back in the 8th grade like the Trinity kids did a few years back. It's alot cheaper and the kids get an extra year to mature.

Gotta go. It sure is harder to train for an event as you get older, but I refuse to lose. Basketball cheers

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Jun 14, 2012 12:28 am

I just flew in on a red eye from Croatia and....... geez Louise how did Dave Haley know I was there? And Dave thinks I'm some sort of Watergate type insider with inside information?

You should see all the transfers that happen in Croatia in HS basketball!! Every one is doing reclassifying also. Prep schools are constantly picking up Croation HS basketball players. I attribute all this to every high schooler in Croatia wants to be the next Toni Kukoc.

After I get my body to acclimate to being in NH I will read Dave's prep school article. I have to go now so I can give my family all the gifts I purchased for them in Croatia.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:24 am

Surprised GNG didn't say for only 13K a year those students could transfer to BG :-)... Assuming of course they didn't get $$$'s and true recruitment to the Prep school.

One thing that keeps rattling around in the back of my head is who is telling all these athletes they have what it takes to be a D1 player and truly how many of them go and play significant minutes at a D1 school if they transfer to some specific prep school? It took Roche a few years to get quality minutes at BC, right? I'm not discounting that the hoops are better at the prep schools, but as you noted in your article players can/do become more role oriented. As long as you can accept that, fine. Does your new role really get you where you want to go? I think your Bayliss example shows how the Prep school coaches think when they're looking at players and trying to convince them to come to their school. And his example was more D3 oriented - I'm not familiar with the "level" of play at different D3 schools, but I assume the basketball at Wheaton is at a higher level that at Keene St. Just like there's a world of difference between say Duke and UNH (yes, an extreme example, but both D1 schools). The academics are certainly different between the two. I guess as long as you know the level you are shooting towards and you know what are getting into, then trying to better your chances of continuing to play is not a bad thing. Sure it hurts NH HS hoops, but it's no different than how Jr. Hockey has hurt NH HS Hockey (perhaps something you and Thaler could talk about some Saturday morning). In the end, prep isn't for everybody, but I assume it gives you a better feel for what it would be like to be at college (away from home) and concentrating on just one sport pretty much year round. It's a tough choice for the athlete to make - and like your Dean example - it means you have to change your social circle much sooner...

One other point that did come out - academics are certainly a part of the decision process. Something that BG, Trinity, St. Thomas, & Bishop Brady athletes/parents have said in the past. The athletic scholarships you get at D1 may be more related to skill, but at D3 the academic scholarships you get are tied to your grades. Years ago I took my oldest son to a recruiting seminar. The one thing the speaker really emphasized was how important grades are. He made an example of two softball players - one who as an "A/B" student while the other was a "C" student pitching say 5-10mph faster than the A/B student. If he was recruiting those two athletes, he would chose the "A/B" student because he felt he could do what it takes to make her bigger/stronger/faster knowing that she'd work hard to keep her grades up, while he didn't have as many resources to help the "C" student keep her grades up. This bigger/stronger/faster analogy also works in the maturity example and is certainly a factor in why athletes reclassify instead of just being able to do a PG year. So if you're just starting out and have aspirations that your 1st grader is going to be a superstar some day, but don't want to pay for Prep school, then do the math, make sure they graduate when their 19 instead of 17!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

NHSportsPage Prep School Article Empty Wheaton vs. KSC

Post  nhkickzgod Thu Jun 14, 2012 10:19 am

KSC is a much better basketball program than Wheaton.
Wheaton is stronger academically that KSC.

nhkickzgod
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:23 pm

nhkickzgod wrote:KSC is a much better basketball program than Wheaton.
Wheaton is stronger academically that KSC.

Probably agree, although my KSC degree wants to beg to differ Wink Kids playing DIII ball should probably be choosing the academic institution that fits their needs, more so than the basketball program. But it certainly depends on the student/player and what they want to get out of their college experience.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nhkickzgod Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:29 pm

That was not meant to be a "knock" on KSC.
I went to KSC for undergrad & grad school.
I would not trade my time at KSC with any other school.
It was a GREAT TIME! Very Happy

nhkickzgod
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Jun 14, 2012 3:08 pm

Alma maters aside - the point/question I was trying to make is in the recruiting world for D3 there are conferences and teams that are known to be stronger than others. If you aspire to play with the best, then that's what you shoot for. Although for some using their basketball (athletic) ability can get them into their "reach school", that is the higher academic institution. In this area, few would argue that the NESCAC colleges are probably the toughest D3 schools to get into academically. Now whether their basketball teams are within the D3 landscape - I have no idea. Probably depends on the school. The downside of a NESCAC school for the "reach athlete" is you probably aren't getting much academic aid and those school are pricey (I know - I'm going into year 4 of payments to Tufts and we went through the recruiting process for football which is vastly different than hoops or baseball).

Not sure Dave wants to get into comparing the relative strengths of various D3 programs the students he interviewed went to - something that may be less necessary than comparing D1 programs. One only needs to watch ESPN to know which D1 schools and conferences are stronger than others... Unless you are in the middle of being recruited by D3 schools you may not know which ones are better. OK at least I don't!

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  HaleyNHsports Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:58 am

Love the discussion and the feedback from JAF & the two gentleman from Croatia.

First off my Dad (a lifelong tough critic of mine) read it and said " It was good...but it was too long."
That's something I always struggle with because I think we are all used to the Bob Ryan/Shaughnessy articles that have to fit a page on a newspaper as opposed to the new internet style (Bill Simmons) of unlimited space. I guess I am of the Simmons' school but I need to cut it down at times. It clocked in at 2,900 words and trust me I am contemplating a follow up down the line because there are more angles to look at and people to interview for it.

There is a school of thought that recruiters will look at a New Hampton player and a Trinity player and say 'My job is about wins and losses...so who is the lower risk for me to bring on board?'
And it's the New Hampton kid...the feeling being they have played a higher level of competition and, in a point I hadn’t thought of, they have lived away from home and taken college level courses already.

As for level of school's in Division III Wheaton is more of a prestige program than Keene State (also my alma mater) but if they square off Keene may win the game. Wheaton is a better school academically and Will made a point of saying the Tilton experience prepared him for that.

HaleyNHsports
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum