New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Players to watch for in the Playoffs

3 posters

Go down

Players to watch for in the Playoffs Empty Players to watch for in the Playoffs

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 09, 2010 11:46 am

The following players won’t make 1st or 2nd team All State. If you ask any of their coaches how important they are to their respective teams, the coaches would probably say they wouldn’t want to go into the playoff battle without these players. It could be a dagger 3, a defensive night where one of these players clamps down on the opposition or because one of these players blends so well with the mix a certain team has:

Nick McGrail – Winnacunnet: This 5’10 senior seems to hit dagger 3s when the opposition puts their defensive focus towards Gould and Knowles. He’s smart with the ball and plays good defense. He is having a very good senior year and blends well with the Warrior lineup.

Alex Patrikis – Pinkerton: When this 6’4 sophomore plays well the Astros are very difficult to beat. I’ve seen off games by him and I’ve seen him have games that certainly put him as a potential All State player for next season. He has length and finishes. When he is on the defensive rebounding attack with Proulx and Mathieu can be a one and done devastation for the opposition.

Jacob Hamel – Trinity: Teams should think twice about playing zone when this 5’9 sharp shooting sophomore is in the game for the Pioneers. He has blended well with the Pioneer rotation as the year has progressed. With the Stevens injury the shooting of Hamel becomes even more important to form an outside attack so Madol can have some offensive space to operate.

Tyler Gendron – Merrimack: This 6’4 sophomore has had some nice games this season coming off the Tomahawk bench. He helped lead Merrimack to big victories at Dover and last Friday at home vs. Londonderry to secure a top 4 seed. His role is more prominent with the Watson situation. He might be thrust into a starting role or many more minutes on the court to give Merrimack some length on defense and the glass. He has improved steadily this year and will be a key player for Merrimack in the playoffs if they want to get to Durham.

Steve Cuipa – BG: I have said it before and I will say it again. When this 6’1 junior is on the floor for the Cardinals it creates match up nightmares for the opposition. Double any one of the Big 3 and Cuipa can knock down 2 to 4 shots in a row. He can sit way beyond the arc and his outside threat creates more offensive space for the Big 3 to operate. BG is a better team when he receives significant minutes off the bench.

Justin Dube – Dover: There are players on Dover who score more and grab the head lines, but this 6’2 senior does the dirty work on the glass and defensively in helping Dover to their 14 – 4 record. He can play some one who’s 6’3 to 6’6 and does not give in. He is a defensive stopper who Romps relies on to ratchet up the Green Wave intensity on the court.

Greg Asselin – West: Though all the ups and downs of the Blue Knight season the one constant has been the play of this 6’2 senior. His motor is always running. He is not the most skilled big you will find, but his ferocity in the paint and on the glass matches any other big in Class L. He seems to derive pleasure out of taking charge after charge after charge. He must lead Class L in that category. I believe he absorbed 6 charges in one game. When he scores West is a dangerous team that can compete and beat anybody.

Shomari Morgan – Memorial: When this 6’1 junior scores between 14 to 18 points Memorial can beat any body. When Morgan is slash finishing or putting back weak side baskets the floor opens up for Couture and Fitzpatrick. McLean and Edhem become dangerous also and Memorial’s offense has a much better flow.

Matt Cannone – Salem: It took this football QB some time to transition from football to basketball muscles, but when he did he provided a much needed 3rd or 4th option for scoring for Salem. He can shoot a nice medium range jumper and open things up for LaRosa and Gallant. He did not score much against Memorial in their regular season meeting. The scoring match up of Shomari Morgan vs. Matt Cannone might decide the big prelim game on Wednesday.

Christian Ortiga – Central: I was ready to put Steve Ferge into this slot, but after seeing how this 6’2 freshman has supplied much needed length and scoring off Central’s bench this “pop to the surface all of a sudden player” gets the nod. He wasn’t even on the radar a month ago and all of a sudden this gangly freshman has become an important complimentary player to take the pressure of Wickey.

Alex Pratt – North: This senior could make honorable mention for All State, but his composure and headiness is vital to North doing any damage in the playoffs. The North offense is much more effective when it runs through Pratt. The sophomore backcourt of Williams and Gauthier has had their ups and downs, but Pratt has been like a trusted uncle with the wild nephews for North.

CJ Flanders – Londonderry: Leave him alone and he’ll knock down a 3. Get in his grill and he’ll drive by you and finish. Come with weak side help on his drive and he’ll find a team mate with a nifty look. I’ll admit he’s one of my favorite players to watch in Class L. The opposition should favor watching Flanders also, because he can beat you in so many ways with his 5’10 230, 240, 250 ???? Pound body.

James Holler – Exeter: He could make honorable mention All State, but there is nothing more dangerous in the playoffs than a senior that doesn’t want his team’s season to end. This 5’10 senior heads up a senior trio that includes Vigars and Munro that makes them a very dangerous 14th seed and will not be a kind opposition for Trinity on Wednesday night. Holler has hit some big shots this year. Trinity must feel queasy playing this senior dominated team.

Brad Mondoux – Spaulding: another player that could be an honorable mention all state. He is the straw and the ice cubes in the Red Raider drink. He has a quick release and can hit multiple 3s on you in the blink of an eye. If the Red Raiders are to pull of an epic upset of the Astros, then this 5’11 senior must be in the 20 to 26 point area for it to happen.

Alec Stephens – Goffstown: The word is getting around on this 5’11 junior that has had some big games for the Grizzlies. Winnacunnet has enough defensive weapons to deal with this junior scorer. #16s do not beat #1s in the Class L playoffs, but if it did happen in the Goffstown – Winnacunnet game, it’s a safe bet Alec Stephens would be Mayor of Goffstown for a few days.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Players to watch for in the Playoffs Empty See this is what I have been waiting for.

Post  Big Guy Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:16 pm

GOOD JOB.It's about time,I grew a beard waiting for you to bring something useful to the table.

Big Guy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Players to watch for in the Playoffs Empty Re: Players to watch for in the Playoffs

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:26 pm

Your beard should go well with that 1978 turtleneck.

I can't wait to see you in this combo at Durham in the Semis, Big Guy !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Players to watch for in the Playoffs Empty Re: Players to watch for in the Playoffs

Post  Big Guy Tue Mar 09, 2010 12:48 pm

something tells me you will see me in merrimack sat. night.

Big Guy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:00 pm

Nice write up T&F. You forgot Alvirne, can I nominate Sean Moyen? He's a big man who plays hard and is active all over the glass. If he can up his offensive game and stay out of foul trouble the Bronco's are much deeper, dangerous team.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:00 pm

I will be there if you have the turtleneck to match the beard..... Maybe ????

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:04 pm

You are right Asst. The Broncos slipped through my Playoff blogging crack. Thanks for having my blogging back. Maybe, this is a sign they will win Class L or get bounced by 15 in the prelim by BG.

Teams with the label of being enigmatic will have those swings.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Players to watch for in the Playoffs Empty GOOD SIGN

Post  Big Guy Tue Mar 09, 2010 1:32 pm

I am having lunch with Steve Cuipa's dad in a few minutes.I told him about this site and the kind word's you had for his son.Hopefully he will pick up the tab,{our lunches tend to run a little long}

Big Guy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 09, 2010 2:16 pm

I'm taking a wild guess that the main reason Mr. Cuipa and Big Guy's lunches having a tendency to run long are due to the loquaciousness of Big Guy.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down