New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Reporting from the Telegraph

2 posters

Go down

Reporting from the Telegraph Empty Reporting from the Telegraph

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:14 pm

Last night my son, used tape,a brace and three advil to lace them up and play in a high school basketball game. He had not played or practiced since the Pelham game 8 days prior. I was very proud of him just for stepping on the floor.
In the first half Milford would carry a lead into the half of about 12 points. MIke O'Loughlin was on fire hitting threes and rebounding the ball nicely as well. He no doubt was huge in the offensive onslaught that Souhegan had no answer for. However my son was scoreless as reported by the telegraph and sat the second half. Nice reporting by the Telegraph, hardly. My son was instrumental in the solving the zone with many penetration dribbles into the lane with passes on a dime to shooters who were given open looks at will. Mike finished with 7 or8 assist in less than 16 minutes and only had one turnover. The article in the telegraph done by Joe Marchelina states that Mitchell was held scoreless and sat in the second half making it look as if he struggled. Hardly the case there was no bigger player on the floor (pun intended) in the first half and I am disappointed that the telegraph didn't see it.
As a former player and a person that studies the game year round I was insulted by this article. However it does help me realize now why kids force shots and try to shoot when the should pass. The only way to make it seem as if you played well is to give the telegraph a number to read in the stat sheet. Hopefully the real basketball fans seen what I saw last night, a player that plays the game the right way and does what a point guard should. Create and get everyone involved while taking care of the ball.
What a joke Nashua Telegraph!

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Reporting from the Telegraph Empty Re: Reporting from the Telegraph

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:46 pm

Being a parent of a high school player is hard I imagine ChiKid. You have to understand the members of the media are not watching one player as intently as you are.

"Mike Mitchell, who suffered a sprained ankle eight days ago at Pelham, played but was scoreless and sat most of the second half."

Is there any falsity's to that statement? Did he tell the whole story? Probably not, but he wasn't lying in his assertion of Mikes game. The story is not Mikes 8 assists in 16 minutes in a blowout win, its the fact that he got injured a week ago and didn't play much.

Scrorers always have, and always will be the focus and media's attention when it comes to covering basketball. It's just the nature of the sport, scoring is more exciting than passing. That's not necessarily my opinion but the opinion of the medias as a whole.

I am quite sure you are 100% correct in your assessment of your sons game. I'm sure Mike value's your opinion of him much more than the Nashua Telegraphs.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Feb 18, 2010 12:55 pm

btw if it had been me covering the game I'm sure I would have focused a bit more on the play of Jr. I know the type of player he is and capabilities even when injured. That said I have free range on what to report on, length of my columns and breakdown (to the individual dribble if wanted) of the game I'm reporting on at NHSportsPage.com.

These paper guys are pretty regulated to a strict number of words, space and can't elaborate much which kinda sucks for them and why I like reading the reports we get on here much better from ChiKid, T&F, and others who go to games.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Reporting from the Telegraph Empty Joe and the telegraph

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:07 pm

I appreciate the words really but to me instead of pointing out the lack of scoring he could have watched the game and seen that Mike was a huge asset to his team by creating shots for guys and directing his team. Anyone can report the numbers, a reporter is suppose to see more. I stand by my words that the guy has no clue what he is doing and is merely reporting the stats.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:24 pm

I just got my marching orders...sounds like I'll have my chance to make it up to you and Jr. Friday night. What time to I get there to get a seat and how much is a sausage?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down