@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault Empty Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:05 pm

One of my favorite terms in basketball is "ill-advised." A player chucks up an air ball with 10 seconds to go in a tie game, then that's ill-advised. A player illegally steps into the lane during a made FT by a 90% FT shooting team mate, then that's ill-advised.

I think the Nashua Telegraph made an ill-advised decision to publish a letter by Liz Dunne of Nashua that was disparaging to Coach Migneault of Bishop Guertin. I am not going to get into any debate or take sides with the coaching style of Jim Migneault. I will take sides in the decisions that a newspaper makes under the umbrella of "free speech." Allow me to speech freely (pardon the English) about this situation. What good did the Telegraph think they would accomplish by publishing a letter by a woman who seems to have an ax to grind with BG? Check out the comment section in the Telegraph over the letter which is up to 72 at this writing. Is this what the people of Nashua and BG want to be talking about near the end of the season and with the playoffs looming? There is no good that could come with the publishing of this letter. What if the Telegraph published a letter from every disgruntled parent? It would become a mockery to have parents sending in letters criticizing coaches for behavior, their child's playing time or the way a practice was run in getting prepared for a big game.

What if the shoe was on the other foot? What if the Telegraph published letters from coaches detailing disrespectful players or players that have attitude or parents that are controlling? Wouldn't that be something to hear: coach's opinions on these and other matters if they sent in letters to newspapers like Mrs. Dunne's letter.

This would never happen.

Basketball coaches would never think to do something like bad mouth a player, parent or fan and send it off in a letter to a local newspaper. Basketball coaches would toe the line when confronted by these influences and do what they do best: coach. They wouldn't feel the need to get some weight off their chest by hoping a letter gets published in a public informational entity. Coach Migneault did not deserve to have this letter put out in a public forum. How is the Telegraph going to treat Coach Migneault for the rest of the season? Will they continue to ask for information from him before and after games, so they can continue informing the people of Nashua what's going on with BG basketball and oh by the way Coach, sorry about publishing that letter by Mrs Dunne that didn't portray you nicely. It's a two way street for treating people with respect and making right decisions.

The Nashua Telegraph dropped the ball on making the decision to publish the letter by Liz Dunne.

Shame on them !!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault Empty Re: Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:14 pm

The link to said article...

http://www.nashuatelegraph.com/opinion/letters/638579-263/bg-boys-basketball-coach-setting-a-poor.html

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault Empty Re: Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault

Post  Tulliver on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:26 pm

I am with T&F on this one.

If the letter were in response to an article I could support it more, however, as is the Telegraph should have printed a counter-point letter in an effort to provide balance.

The comments after the article sadden me as they pit public versus private school in a rather juvenile manner.

Ironically, it seems the letter inspired the same type of behavior (at least in those comments) that the writer espouses against.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:29 pm

So true Tully about the comment section. It was comical. Your Mother wears army boots etc etc etc.

What did the Telegraph expect when they decided to publish the letter?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:34 pm

You know with all the technology these days there's lots of "forums" to display your content or discontent with lots of situations. While it used to just be a newspaper, with no repercussions, now the Telegraph survives on page hits, and selling ad space and such. A letter to the editor with over 75 comments is a VERY good thing for the Telegraph as they are boosting their web traffic. To them they don't care either way, as long as people come to their site, leave a comment and have an opinion.

An online advertisement is primarily based on page hits and views by unique visitors. I don't know if the Telegraph had this in mind when they posted this content online, but I'd be interested to know if it was in fact printed in the paper edition.

I dunno, Migs is not the only guy who's passionate to his level, I'd be hard pressed to find a coach who's not. I mean look around the State...those of you in Dover the other night saw Romps LAYING in to Alex Burt ALL NIGHT from the sideline. Coach Bonney at Alvirne is constantly stomping around the sidelines even EJ Perry gets into both refs and players. Its part of the game. If you've never coached, or played, you might not understand. But in 98% of the cases the kids know if their getting yelled at it's because the messed up and they can take it. Why? Because coaches also return the favor when they do something good.

Touchy subject, but the Telegraph brought it up...

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:37 pm

They brought it up but didn't give Migs a chance to respond and that is not good journalism.
So ... what does the publishing of that letter by the city's newspaper teach kids????

Nothing good.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:42 pm

How does Gary Fitz and Tom King handle interviewing Coach Migs now? Do they talk about the web traffic and advertising as the reason the Telegraph published the letter?

That should go over real nicely with Coach Migneault.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:50 pm

To be honest, administering this forum is very similar to deciding what goes up on the Telegraph website (whoever is in charge of that). There are some things that I think might not belong here (like half the referee banter that occurs) but it's an opinion, its what this forum is about. As long as there are no personal attacks about the individuals livelihood, etc. then its fair game. I mean the referee decided to be a referee, he got himself into this mess.

Now this letter is a different story, this Lady Liz went after after Migs and tried to bring all of BG down around him. Obviously that type of post would not fly in this forum. I agree they shouldn't have posted the letter, but I understand why they MIGHT have from a financial and advertising perspective. But that's just a shot in the dark...they may not have had that in mind at all when it was posted.

I'm sure if Coach Migs writes in and replys they will do their due diligence and publish his letter. I wouldn't want to get tied up in that mess though, its just a no-win battle that pits public vs. private and is silly.

As an FYI, I know for a fact there's NHIAA coaches, referees, players, students, newspaper media persons, radio media persons, parents, etc. that read this forum every day. Not everything is gonna be to the liking of every person. And not everything that is typed is going to be morally accurate, especially when it comes to teaching kids. We do the best we can here, and I'd hope that the Telegraph thinks a bit more about what they put on their website in the future.

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:53 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:How does Gary Fitz and Tom King handle interviewing Coach Migs now? Do they talk about the web traffic and advertising as the reason the Telegraph published the letter?

That should go over real nicely with Coach Migneault.

Interesting b/c I sat with Gary Fitz at the BG/Trinity game a few weeks ago. He obviously has a good relationship with the area coaches. I don't know if his relationship will suffer with the Coach, but he's sure gonna approach him apologetically I would think the next time he see's him. Which is too bad b/c Fitz likely didn't even know this was published.

Also, my thought on web traffic and advertising is really just me thinking outside the box on why the heck they would publish something that they KNEW would stir up the "Hornet's Nest" we've been talking about lately. But you have to think that the Telegraph knew this would blow up as far as opinions, comments, page hits, etc.

Good topic T&F...speaking of Page Hits I can't wait to check GoogleAnalytics tomorrow to see how the NH Sports Form did on a lazy Olympics dominated Sunday afternoon. My guess it's a record turnout. Also congrats to the Forum for reachin 50 users, and we also topped 1,000 posts earlier today!

Last edited by The Assistant on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:56 pm; edited 1 time in total

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:54 pm

It would be great if the Telegraph gave Coach Migneault a chance to respond to the incendiary letter by Mrs Dunne that was published.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 8:58 pm

Asst: This is exactly the reason the Telegraph never should have published the letter. They knew it was going to create a controversy. You are right about The NH Sports Forum never publishing something like that. I'm sure we all find out information on players, coaches and fans that we know is fact, but would never put it in a public forum. I have had information come my way, that controversial in it's aspect, I would never think to post it on the Forum.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:04 pm

I don't think a newspaper should shy away from controversy as long as its warranted.

Considering this was a person attacked I believe they should have offered rebuttal or defense opportunities to Migneault or BG in general.

However, newspapers cannot completely avoid controversy if they are to do their jobs... but they do need to do due diligence or be perceived in the same light as The Star and other gossip rags (notice I left out The Enquirer since it's up for a Pulitzer... thank you John Edwards for giving tabloids credibility...)

So what are our assignments for Championship day and who is stocking the fridge in the winnie?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:10 pm

I've decided to take away the Head of Referee Security from ChiKid. There will be a 3 man crew working the Class I Championship. If ChiKid was HORS for that game I fear one person out of the 4 people(3 Refs and ChiKid) might have some harm come their way down in the referee's locker room. I would feel guilty if it was ChiKid. I don't want to make Mrs Chikid a spouse-less spouse.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault Empty Hardly nervous in Cowhampshire

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:20 pm

You realize I grew up in the Murder Capital of the world? I was searched with a metal detector on my way into school. I have been stabbed and married and I am still unsure which is more painfull. Sorry Hun! lol I want to watch the backs of the refs, I am qualified and ready for the job lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:22 pm

Wow maybe we should put Mrs Chikid in charge of security?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault Empty She is Italian.

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:24 pm

She is Italian and real mean so maybe she is more qualified than I.. dang it!

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:25 pm

Tully, the apple doesn't fall too far from the referee complaining tree. LOL

ChiKid, please don't go on a Oprah-like rant about this one. Just chuckle and accept.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault Empty I laughed but

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:31 pm

Isnt the apple and the tree reference to a offspring? Not sure that can be the case with a spouse. Unless I am missing something.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:34 pm

With referee complaining it starts with a tree: ChiKid. If any other members of the ChiKid family fgollow his lead in referee complaining then they are apples that roll closely to the tree. Referee complaining is different than the usual apple from the tree analogies. Am I clear on this ChiKid?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:38 pm

Shouldn't our Championship game/referee security talk be over on the Championship game thread?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault Empty You should write a book.

Post  chicagokid43 on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:47 pm

You could call it, Apples,Trees and Referees.

I am doing a website a Website called.

They are never right they are black and white.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sun Feb 21, 2010 9:50 pm

OK back to opinions on the letter in the Telegraph, please.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Telegraph Letter about Coach Migneault Empty Telegraph

Post  tarrier on Mon Feb 22, 2010 12:38 am

Coach Migs is smart enough to know that Gary Fitz and Tom King had/have nothing to do with a negative letter to the editor that was published in the paper. It will have no effect on that relationship at all.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest on Mon Feb 22, 2010 5:56 am

Was this posted in the sports section? Because if thats the case Gary Fitz and/or Tom King do the editing for the sports page (I believe) I think this would make future interviews awkward, to say the least, I think regardless if any of the sports writers had something to do with this publishing it'll be very wierd between them and Coach Migs. His behavior at times may have been questionable, but he served his punishment I don't think the man deserves to be publicly slandered like this, Shame on the telegraph and the lady who wrote the article, because it seems like Coach Migs is regarded very highly over at BG.

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver on Mon Feb 22, 2010 8:20 am

Not in sports section... Letters to the Editor

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum