New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

D2 Boy's Championship Game

+4
KG
1380TheSportsAnimal
basketballtime
Tuesday and Friday
8 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty Re: D2 Boy's Championship Game

Post  Tulliver Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:04 am

Haha congrats to you - not me - on the 100th post.....

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  1380TheSportsAnimal Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:15 am

Listen, the zone and stall in the 4th didn't decide the game, I just hate the "4 Corners" offense is all. It works, and it's legit, and if a team is in a zone and you're up you probably SHOULD run it, but I just don't like watching it. That's all bros!

As far as the other player being "Suspended", there's a lot going on there that I wouldn't dream of putting on a message board, but I will say that you are waaaay off mark in regards to Herbert (that's who you're referring to?), Boxout.

My apologies if that came off as sour grapes. It was two minutes of a 32 minute game that was really like a pro wrestling match- one guy gets down early, it looks like it's gonna be over quick, makes the big comeback, but can't finish off the opponent.
1380TheSportsAnimal
1380TheSportsAnimal
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty Mulvey quote in NH Sportspage

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:21 am

I would like to comment on the following quote in Dave Haley's article on the D2 Championship in the NH Sports Page:

Meanwhile coach Mulvey threw his hands up in the air and seemed to yell down the sideline at Dan Murray to play the game. "He's got five all-state players over there but they can't run an offense without stalling? Maybe our defense gave them more troubles that they thought," said Mulvey of the stall tactic.

I say quite simply this is Basketball 101. The team with the lead can control the tempo. The team with the deficit must change the tempo. Milford was up 6 points. The state championship was on the line. It was up to Coach Murray 100% to do what he did in that situation. He had already played Portsmouth's game for just over 25 minutes when he did this. Murray was in his full right to tell his team to pull it out and extend Portsmouth's defense. I hear time and time again Coach Mulvey is one of the best coaches in the state in making adjustments and corrections on the court. Well, here you go coach, you have an adjustment to make, so now make it. Instead, Coach Mulvey went down the sidelines to yell at Coach Murray as to what he was doing.

Not cool.

Believe me, I respect Coach Mulvey for everything he has done, but on this part of the game and the comments made to HS writers about it, I think Coach Mulvey is way off basketball base. I talked to a lot of coaches and referees between games yesterday (about 15) and they all sided with Milford's tactics with 7 minutes to go in the 4th quarter.

As is often said these days, "I'm just saying."

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:25 am

Agreed...

But let's also consider the man was clearly at a VERY frustrated point at that moment.

Congrats to Milford for a great accomplishment and championship.

Congrats to Portsmouth for a great accomplishment and making it to the finals.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:27 am

Agreed Tully, but coaching is about dealing with frustrations on and off the court.

Congratulations to both Portsmouth and Milford for playing a great D2 Championship yesterday. I will look forward to Portsmouth being one of the best teams in D2 next year, if not the best..... Unless Coach Alosa and Pembroke has something to say about it.

Can you tell what my pre season top 2 might be in D2 next season Very Happy

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:29 am

Agree completely and clearly not the best statement to make....

But regardless the story should be that Milford capped off an impressive road to victory and that the Portsmouth team played a good game as well.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty DII The Animal

Post  boxout Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:55 am

- Again, speculation about Suspensions - The Assistant

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  1380TheSportsAnimal Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:07 am

- Deleted this one b/c of the post above was referenced, lets just stick to the hoops and not about suspensions, you guys can use the PM service for that - The Assistant
1380TheSportsAnimal
1380TheSportsAnimal
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty Ok

Post  boxout Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:12 am

Then my apologies, that is what was reported. I can kind of figure it out now. Animal is your broadcast on demand?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:15 am

I love to see we can agree to disagree, but in the end have mutual respect for each other and keep our eyes on the prize, which is to promote HS basketball in a healthy and respectful way.

Thanks guys or girls.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  1380TheSportsAnimal Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:17 am

boxout wrote:Then my apologies, that is what was reported. I can kind of figure it out now. Animal is your broadcast on demand?

Unfortunately no, we've done the games for 2 seasons now, first year as all sports. It's something I'm nagging the bosses for, hopefully in the near future Cool
1380TheSportsAnimal
1380TheSportsAnimal
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty D2 Saturday Night

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:20 am

Yesterday as Portsmouth stood at the line with the game all but over my son walked over and tapped Mr Walker from Portsmouth on the backside and then on the head and gave him a little pep talk telling him he was a good player and that next year he would be back and get a chance again. Imagine that with what my son went through last year and in a time when it would have been expected for him to be a little selfish and overjoyed he took a moment to respect his opponent and even console the kid.

- Edited, you really could have given your son a pat and left the Coach comment off, so I did it for you. - The Assitant

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty Mulvey

Post  Tulliver Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:28 am

Kudos to your son, Chikid.

You deserve to be as proud as you are... don't know him but he sounds like a great kid from everything I do hear.

With that being said..

Everyone has agreed that Coach Mulvey's quote was not a good example of sportsmanship, so can we all - and I say, all... not calling you out, Chikid, agree to that and move forward celebrating a great end to a great season?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty Deleted

Post  boxout Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:31 am

- Deleted due to above editing. If there are personal grievances they should be aired with one another using the PM service, this forum is not for negative public comments - The Assistant

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:37 am

OK boys and girls. This thread is starting to veer off the championship basketball road. Back to discussion on the game and players or......

THIS THREAD WILL GO INTO LOCK DOWN MODE !!!!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sun Mar 20, 2011 11:37 am

I am going to hijack this thread in an effort to dilute growing tensions and suggest everyone head to the bleachers and check out which forum member is winning in the bracket group Very Happy

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty Regarding Mr. Holder

Post  boxout Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:29 pm

I would like to congratulate Jamie Holder on his 1,000 point being scored, it is a great accomplishment. I just feel he got slighted because of the championship. Every player I have ever seen score their thousand point, has always had the game stopped the first time the ref blows the whistles to stop play. Usually a ball is presented and play resumes after a brief standing ovation. For that Mr. Holder I salute you here.

Am I the only one that thought UNH was in a hurry to get all games over with and get people out ASAP? It also bugged me that the individual player fouls were not lit up. I thought UNH did a better job last year, this year it seemed to be lets just get this over with.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty On Schedule so I understand

Post  chicagokid43 Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Being the game was at UNH I understand why they had to move us out afterwards but if we were doing this right at say the Verizon Wireless arena it would not be an issue. I am very close to starting a boycott of the Verizon center as they should be finding a way to make it easier for the NHIAA and basketball to be played there ONE day a year. All four state title games at the Verizon on a Saturday would make the game of basketball a true event. Time to step up to the plate Verizon.. This state has been a very good customer for the events at the Wireless Arena. Give back to the community one Saturday in March.

As for the individual stats I agree that in a title game the individual stats should be used. If they need a volunteer to do it speak up but I cannot believe we could not get that done fairly easy.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty The verizon it is

Post  GNG Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:53 pm

With you brother. They do it for high school hockey. No reason they couldn't do it for high school hoops.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty Tully and GNG...

Post  boxout Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:05 pm

I agree that the Verizon Wireless Arena would be a great spot.
I have to plead ignorance so you guys need to help me. Does the NHIAA pay for usage at UNH, even at a reduced cost? Or is this completely volunteer on their part? Don't get me going on the $3.00 a bottle of Dasani, that they paid $.25 for. Any bets that yesterday might have been the largest crowd that that stadium has held all season. I would bet it comes close. I also can't understand where the $7.00 a head goes. That is a lot of money with over 8,000 people. Does the NHIAA get any of this? Schools? Or just UNH gets to keep all gate and proceeds?
PS Don't they tournament championship at Delta Dental Stadium for baseball? Softball goes to Concord?

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D2 Boy's Championship Game - Page 2 Empty mulvey

Post  KG Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:37 pm

sounds to me like the tactic worked just the way he wanted it to. mikey is probably the one point guard in the state that you least want to have to match up with 1 on 1. imagine pulling your d out and letting him have the entire half court to use that vision to see 2 of the best players in d 2 trying to get open. if he beats his man one on one, which he is more of capable of doing every time, its a 5 on 4 starting at the attacking third of the court. he gets into the paint, dumps off/kicks out to any number of players capable of making a play. i really think pulling out the d would have signed portsmouths death certificate. i definitely dont have a problem with holding the ball and i think that is by far the best play in that situation for milford, but milford should never have attacked the zone. they straight up didnt need to. milford eventually started attacking and portsmouth got within 2 to a team that was by far more talented. i honestly dont see that happening if he pulls out the d and gives mike mitchell the entire half court to operate. does anyone really think these teams talent levels were separated by six points? just my opinion. btw not defending the comments, no place for that.

Last edited by KG on Sun Mar 20, 2011 1:53 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Edited to remove potentially inflammatory phrase which violates forum guidelines)

KG
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2