New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament

+2
PANTHADAD
Tuesday and Friday
6 posters

Go down

Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament Empty Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Dec 26, 2012 3:00 pm

The snow storm has changed the Chick-fil-A Tournament around. The following posting is from their official web site:

Tournament Announcements‎ > ‎
IMPORTANT - Date changes due to weather
posted an hour ago by Jeff Strobel
Due to the potential storm on Thursday, 12/27, the Tournament has been modified from 3 days to 2 days. We will play the Thursday schedule on Friday, and the Friday schedule on Saturday starting at 12:00 p.m.
At the end of the day, we will know who the two pool winners are. Instead of these two teams playing for the championship, they will become co-champions of the tournament.

The tournament calendar has been updated:

Friday, December 28
3:00pm Gm1: Alvirne vs. Souhegan4:30pm Gm2: Thornton Academy vs. Campbell6:00pm Gm3: South versus Milford 7:30pm GM4: North versus Hollis-Brookline

Saturday, December 29
12:00pm Gm5: Loser Gm1 vs. Loser Gm3 1:30pm Gm6: Loser Gm 2 vs. Loser Gm 4 3:00pm Gm7: Winner Gm 1 vs. Winner Gm3 4:30pm Gm8: Winner Gm 2 vs. Winner Gm4

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament Empty A very tough call ...

Post  PANTHADAD Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:32 pm

Really feel bad about canceling the games tomorrow, but after consulting directly with Kevin Skarupa earlier in the day, we felt it was the safe and prudent course of action to take for everybody involved in the tournament: players, officials, fans, etc. Check out our to website for more info:

https://sites.google.com/site/nashuaholidaybasketball/home

Forecast For New Hampshire
Nor'easter On The Way!

Kevin Skarupa, Meteorologist
Hope you all had a nice Christmas! Now to a much more of a winter reality, a Nor'easter approaches later tonight and will be giving us heavy snow, gusty winds (and mixing near the coast) tomorrow.

Winter storm warnings are already posted for all of NH away from the coast while today features sunshine and some increasing high clouds during the afternoon along with seasonably chilly conditions (highs: 28-36.)

Now to the Nor'easter...light snow will develop this evening (first in the Monadnock Region), so that by midnight, most of the state from the White Mountains south, is seeing some snow. Snow will develop by late evening or early overnight farther north. Snow will pick up in intensity overnight and continue through the early afternoon hours of Thursday before tapering off some late in the day. In areas from Concord south and east, some mixing with sleet and freezing rain is possible beginning around the morning commute on Thursday. A change to plain rain is possible during the morning within a few miles of the coast.

In areas north and west of Concord that remain all snow, 8-16" is likely by Thursday night. Mixing will cut down on amount in southeastern NH, but even in those spots, up to a half foot of snow is possible before any mixing from Manchester south to Nashua (4-8") with lesser amounts (1-4") likely before ice and rain along the coast.

The biggest uncertainty in this storm is determining the exact location where the snow/mix and mix/rain line ends up tomorrow morning through early afternoon. So, in areas from Concord to Nashua and east to the coast the amounts may change some, so stay tuned throughout the day today for updates.

Winds will pick up tonight and gust out of the northeast to 30-35 mph+ at times tomorrow. The combination of wet snow and wind will likely result in power outages, especially anywhere from the Lakes Region south.

Precipitation will change back to all snow by late day and Thursday night, but will fall at a much lighter clip and eventually taper off.

Skies will clear by early Friday with some sun and breezy conditions to round out the week.

Another system may come close enough to deliver a lighter snow by late Saturday into early Sunday.

Again, stay tuned to important updates on Wednesday, on the upcoming storm.

Read more: http://www.wmur.com/weather/text-forecast#ixzz2GCBM50bN

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament Empty Re: Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament

Post  goldenbear Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:35 pm

Cant they have a 5th game on Saturday have the two pool winners play each other, this is a disgrace to have co champions.

Just start the games a little early Saturday, Co champions is what is wrong with this society every buddy as to be accommodated.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament Empty Re: Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament

Post  Tulliver Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:58 pm

Perhaps that could be suggested to someone in Nashua, if you know someone there?

It might also be an issue with the other schools or something?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Dec 26, 2012 11:59 pm

Gbear: Maybe, we should let PanthaDad respond with why they are doing this in the Nashua Holiday Tournament before criticizing hard working people who give their time to put on a tournament.

PanthaDad: Would you like to give the reasons why you are going with co champions this year?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:00 am

Do NHIAA rules apply here - I thought there was a limit on number of quarters played in a day?

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:02 am

That could be one reason. Common sense wise it would not be prudent to have 2 teams play 2 games in one day. If any player got injured, it would not be acceptable.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:04 am

Central girls are playing Championship on Sunday - but again - could be a facilities issue or conflict with other schools etc.

I am sure there is a good reason.... let's face it - they won't raise as much money this way either and I AM not trying to say they're "in it for the money" or make a negative connection here at all.

I just find it difficult to believe they haven't explored other options.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Thu Dec 27, 2012 1:59 pm

I do not mean to criticize the tourney but I cant believe there is one kid playing in that tourney that wants to be co Champs, and I get the organizers work hard and that the coaches probably do not want to play 2 games in a day, but it is not about them. It is about the kids, and so many things are done in Nashua ( not just sports) under the disguise of benefiting the kids when they come at the bottom of the list behind people's political agendas and what is politically correct. Not saying it is the case here, but knowing more about the inner workings of Nashua than most and it leadership at the highest levels nothing would surprise me.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament Empty Checking in ...

Post  PANTHADAD Thu Dec 27, 2012 10:35 pm

Hey gang. I can assure you that I have not been ducking under the radar from you guys. Let me assure you that we cancelled today's games because of the our concerns with the weather. Based upon what we saw earlier today, I still believe it was the correct decision to make. I do not think that Thornton Academy would have made it down, and I think it would have been tough for some of our game officials to make it in, since many of them come from areas North and West of Nashua. We actually started our contingency planning last weekend, when we saw the storm potential for today. For reasons that I cannot go into, we cannot extend the tournament into Sunday. We absolutely have to be done on Saturday. We have checked with the Nashua AD's office, and there is no NHIAA rule that prevents a team from playing 2 games in one day. However, our main concern was that bringing varsity level players back to potentially play a championship game later in the day, with what could be as little as a 3.0 hour break, was not an optimum situation. This drove our decision to go with the "co-champion" approach. While I do appreciate GOLDENBEAR's passion for the sport, I would remind everybody that this is a Holiday Tournament. It has no bearing in team standings, and you would never want to see anything happen to a player or team that could affect the rest of the season that takes place after the holidays. I do not agree that the approach that we originally came up with was a DISGRACE to the game. We were simply trying to work within the parameters that we had to work with, while also looking out for the best interest's of the kids. That being said, the concensus of all the teams is that we should play a championship game. I have been working this evening to line up game officials and an athletic trainer to cover an extra game on Saturday. We will make a formal announcement on our website tomorrow, but it does look like we will be adding a 6:00 championship game to our Saturday schedule. My only hope is that you guys will do whatever you can to to put fanny's in the seats for me!

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:49 am

Thanks for addressing the situation PANTHADAD. I think you initially made the correct call, and based on the Team (coaches and players) feedback, did the right thing to add a championship game as well. Glad we have people in the loop (or even making decisions!) coming to the forum to address this stuff. Well done all around, and thank you.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament Empty Schedule Updates

Post  PANTHADAD Fri Dec 28, 2012 11:34 am

All:

The Chick-fil-A Tournament website has been updated to reflect the new schedule for Saturday ...

https://sites.google.com/site/nashuaholidaybasketball/

Hope to see all of you at the games ....

PANTHADAD
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Snow Storm Re-Schedules Chick- fil-A Tournament Empty 6pm Championship Game on Sat

Post  tarrier Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:09 pm

PANTHADAD, Good job getting this thing worked out! I will make sure to mention this on the radio tomorrow morning between 7-9am on "The NH High School Hoop Show" on WGIR AM 610 & 96.7FM "The Wave". Dave Haley and I will be talking about the various holiday tournaments. I will be heading down to my old stomping grounds in Nashua tomorrow for the games. You guys do a GREAT job with the tourney!

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Fri Dec 28, 2012 4:41 pm

Well good luck in trying to get the championship game in, I think that is the right call. I think it is very important in today society that we try to bring back competitiveness in our schools and our sports and stop with everyone get a trophy thing.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:02 pm

What looked like a good game on paper is turning into a good game on the court. With 2 minutes left in the 3rd period South is leading Souhegan 35 to 34.

What a great point guard matchup between Brandon Len and Tim Preston.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 29, 2012 3:17 pm

2:39 left in the game: South 52 Souhegan 47

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 29, 2012 4:22 pm

great finish in the South versus Souhegan game:

Len hit a shot with 7 seconds to go to put Souhegan up 58 to 57.

Tim Preston then hit a 3 pointer at the buzzer to give South a 60 to 58 victory.

it looks like 2 great players making great plays at the end of the game. Len had 27. Preston had 16.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 29, 2012 5:28 pm

Hits just keep on rolling in this tournament. Thornton hit a shot near the end of regulation to send it into OT with H/B. Thornton hit a shot near the end of the 1st OT to send it into the 2nd OT where they won the game.

South vs Thornton at 6 pm for the Chik fil A Ship.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sat Dec 29, 2012 8:42 pm

David Dunham seemed to hurt his ankle and missed the rest of the game hopefully he does not miss to much time. South is not deep up front, other than Nick Penkala, who is a good player, they have zero bigs on the bench. Hopefully is back for the Trinity match up the 9th

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sat Dec 29, 2012 9:40 pm

South up 14 so start the 4th

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down