New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Friday 1/14 Game Thread

+8
nhhoopguy
goldenbear
abball
nhhssports
chicagokid43
EBlessNHSP
Tuesday and Friday
GNG
12 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Friday 1/14 Game Thread - Page 3 Empty I don't know about the top 6 or 7

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:30 am

I dont know about 6 or 7 but the top 4 teams in D2 could score the ball against D1 teams. We know Milford has proven that over the last few years but Portsmouth,Souhegan and Pembroke have also played well against some of them in the fall and in scrimmages.

What makes you think D1 teams spend more time on defense than D2?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Friday 1/14 Game Thread - Page 3 Empty Re: Friday 1/14 Game Thread

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:34 am

I'm not saying D1 spends more time on defense than D2. I'm saying D1 teams focus a lot of their strategies to defensively stop another team than to out score another team. I think this is because there are not a heck of a lot of players in D1 that can score on a consistent basis.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:37 am

WGAM has a nice lineup of coaches on their Saturday morning HS b-ball recap show tomorrow at 8 am. They will have Dave Keefe, Nate Mazerolle, Mike Fitzpatrick and Bow's Dave Michaud.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  abball Sat Jan 15, 2011 2:26 am

Alright here is my wrap up of the game, bear with me i losy my program so im going with numbers for trinity.
1ST Quarter
I Walked in right at the tip, it seemed to me like a very dull game to start, it was very quiet both student sections where sitting i was suprised usually alvirne and trinity have better support but here we go:
Alvirne comes out on fire going up 8-2 within the first couple of minutes. Trinity had a lot of trouble the whole game getting something going on offense, ill give alvrine credit the did play some good defense, they wouldnt let trinity get the ball inside too their big man, so they setttled for a lot of long range shots and they couldnt hit anything. Alvirne got out and ran Beaulieu was doing most of the ball carrying and he did a good job. If anyone hasnt seen him play he is one of the most athletic kids i have seen in a while he is quick strong the only thing is he cant finish if he could finish he would be that much better of a player. Alvirne pressed a lot and shut down the middle. After one it was 12-3 Alvirne.
2nd Quarter
Alvirne continues its full court press and shutting down the middle but Trinity is starting to heat up from beyond the arc at one point hitting 2 or 3 in a row. Sophmore Ty Livingston was a huge spark of the bench for the Broncos at 6'2 he is very good defensively and a very good outside shooter scored about all 9 to 12 of his points in this quarter hitting 3 3's and getting to the rim. keefe was just frusterated all night, on offense they just couldnt get anything going in the first half Stevens wasnt hitting maybe had three points #10 and # 54 didnt get much looks because Trinity couldnt get the ball to them. At one point in the 2nd Quarter alvirne had a 15 point lead everyone in the crowd was shocked still very quiet. Alvirne leads at the half 27-18
3rd Quarter
keefe must have really said something because in the second half the Trinity i expected to see showed up. They finally got the ball to their big man #10 was on fire in the third hitting 3 or 4 shots down low and grabbing a lot of rebounds. # 23 the point guard impressed me a lot he has some pretty good handles and has a nice shot from the outside, he hit a lot of threes during the game was probably one of thier leading scores and he had some nice dishes and assists to get the ball to the shooters and to the big man down low. Stevens Finally started hitting with 2 threes in the quarter and Trinity makes thier comeback. They started full court press also, and i think this was hard for the broncos. 41-36 Alvirne.
4th Quarter
With the Broncos leading through 3 quarters i was thinking to myself maybe things are looking up and things are going to get better. BUT again i was wrong and Trinity used its force down low with #10 he probably missed one shot all night which was a costly one. Trinity took the lead with about 3 mins to go in the 4th. Alvirne kept fighting though and kept getting within one. Donelly tied things up with a 3 to make it 49-49. With about a minute left and trinity up two the prettyy much melted the clock. Alvirne had only 2 fouls in the half so they had to foul 5 times to finally get them to the line. But this didnt happen with 10 seconds left they inbound the ball to #10 he has a wide look at the hoop instead of pulling it out and making alvirne foul he goes for the layup and he misses, alvirne grabs the rebound with 8 seconds left they cant find Donelly so Baldwin drives pulls up from the foul line and misses and thats it.
Overall:
Trinity dissapointed me a lot. They were very sloppy and thet couldnt run anything on offense everyone was just standing still no movement. But they finally started to get the ball to there bigs and thats when the game changed #23 and # 33 where very good shooting from the outside and hit some big shots. #10 was a force in the second half instead of the play at the end. That was it, they didnt impress me much (first time i have seen them play) maybe alvirne just had a good game plan which it seemed they did or maybe trinity was just looking past them.
Alvirne: It was a tough one in Bronco land, But i have to give them credit people said they had no chance (myself included) even on this board but they fought hard and showed a lot of people that they will be a tough matchup for people and that teams shouldnt look past them. Donnelly was his normal self hitting 3's getting to the rim and carrying the offense, they really need some one else to step up. Livingston impressed me he is a good looking sophomore, and Beaulieu was very aggressive with his athletic ablity. The struggles continue in Bronco Land Crying or Very sad

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:41 am

Tough one to lose for the Broncs. Efforts like that show they have skill both offensively and defensively. It's up to the coach to bring that team to play every week, which is a very difficult thing to do, especially when you haven't won a game all year long. Their schedule has been brutal but I think they have a a couple wins and maybe an upset here or there in them this season.

Surprising from Trinity, the team to beat right now. They almost lose to what is the worst team in Div I right now. If they had lost, it really would have been par for the course this season though, with upsets of top teams coming at the hands of Nashua South, Concord, and the like.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:22 am

the paper said spaulding only had 6 3 pointers.It seemed like double that.guertin went 0-6 from the free throw line in the last 2 minutes,remember the thread when we were talking about free throw shooting.I would be shocked if spaulding loses a home game this year,very tough place to play.It really was a blast to watch.Now, maybe people will believe what I have said since this summer.THE RED RAIDERS ARE FOR REAL.One other thing,how scary is guertin going to be in a couple of weeks when green and mc'carthy get back.T@F,notice I didn't say anything about the ref's.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Sat Jan 15, 2011 9:41 am

I think the slow start for Trinity last night may also be partly the result of a post Central victory hangover. That is the biggest game of the year on the Pioneers calendar and was a HUGE win for them on Tuesday night. There is so much emotion that gets spent in those city games that it has got to be extremely hard to avoid a let down - and I think that was a big factor in terms of what happened out of the gate last night with them being so flat. Alvirne has to be given a ton of credit, however, as they did exactly what they needed to do - attacking the ball and moving really, really well on offense without the ball. When they jumped out to the big lead early, they looked like the Salem team of a few years ago where the ball would move, the players would move and all of a sudden somebody was going in for a layup off a back door cut - very high percentage shots being made. On defense they forced Trinity away from everything they like to do - the had a guy in Stevens face the whole game - even switching off screens to make sure he never got an open look - if he took 3 or 4 shots the entire game I'd be suprised. Since Alvirne was also making a high percentage of their shots early on it also allowed them to set up a very effect zone press that created turnovers and also caused a lot of disruption in terms of getting the ball down the floor to set up any type of offensive flow - they brought a lot more energy than Trinity and really deserved this one - they are much better than their 0-6 record indicates.

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:29 am

The bottom line is this:

We are one third of the way through the season. One thing the Trinity - Alvrine game, along with other results, is that D1 may even be more wide open this year than it was last year. Trinity is #1 and the only undefeated team in D1. They were pushed to the limit by a winless team who is tied for #18 right now. No team in D1 has set themselves apart from every one else. All the so called "upper tier" teams have glaring weaknesses. More than half the teams in the "lower tier" of D1 can beat ANYBODY in the upper tier on any given night because the talent disparity between the lower and upper tier teams is the closest it has been in quite a while.

Could some team like BG, Trinity, Spaulding or Central really separate themselves from the rest of D1? Sure, but the reality is the prelim playoff games will all be entertaining games. When #13 visits #4 or #15 visits #2 the favored home teams won't exactly be prohibitive favorites. UNH's gym will definitely play tricks on the 4 teams that truly survive to have the privilige to be in the Final Four.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:33 am

Coach Keefe was just asked on the WGAM coaches show with all that went on with David Madol this summer/fall with his basketball travels does he like to follow what he's doing or not.

Coach Keefe gave such a politically correct answer that I'm signing up to be his campaign manager when he runs for Mayor of Manchester Very Happy

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Friday 1/14 Game Thread - Page 3 Empty the d1 slogan this year is "ON ANY GIVEN NIGHT"

Post  GNG Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:08 am

t@f,gonna make up for last night's lack of sustinence today{big time}.The 1 thing you can say for sure after 6 games is there is no sure thing.I realize trinity is undefeated,but I am not sold.Looking forward to that game and treating you to a couple of cold ones.I got your all access pass,we are going to a chinese restaurant called the jade after the game.It is like that bar in the 1st star wars movie.One thing I did take away from some of the characters in rochester last night,I could swear some of them were in "The Delieverance".

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sat Jan 15, 2011 11:55 am

Coach Keefe was just asked on the WGAM coaches show with all that went on with David Madol this summer/fall with his basketball travels does he like to follow what he's doing or not.

Coach Keefe gave such a politically correct answer that I'm signing up to be his campaign manager when he runs for Mayor of Manchester

I hope he would follow him, I do not think it ended badly, I just assumed he go it to the Vt school things fell apart at the last minute and since Trinity is private school he could not get the paper work to get re enrolled so he had to go to Memorial.

That is the way I want to think it went down, no one really to blame a very good player and a good coach.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:00 pm

Goldenbear... I agree....

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  abball Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:20 pm

T&F I totally agree with you on any given night someone can go down. Look at the season already so far. Teams dont really have any easy games because any team can beat any team no one has really dominated and we can say they are they best team in the state

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 15, 2011 6:06 pm

Correct abball. Trinity is #1 and the only undefeated team in D1, but they have more holes in their team than a piece of swiss cheese. Not picking on the Pioneers because there are a lot of pieces of swiss cheese in D1 this year.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3