New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Division III Playoff Format

3 posters

Go down

Division III Playoff Format Empty Division III Playoff Format

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:08 pm

I recently learned that Division III is going to allow ALL teams to make the playoffs. The way it supposedly work is the top 6 teams will essentially get a bye while the bottom 12 play a play-in game. It's unclear why ONLY Div III is adopting this change, but it's in effect in both Boys and Girls tournaments.

Just interesting how the NHIAA works these days. One would think if a change was adopted it would be for all Divisions.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Division III Playoff Format Empty Re: Division III Playoff Format

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:09 pm

the NHIAA Tournament Dates reflect this change.

I was speculating however on the number of byes, I do not know that for sure, but the math makes sense.

http://nhiaa.org/PDFs/3166/Winter2010Dates.pdf
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 09, 2010 10:48 pm

That is interesting. Indiana-like playoff basketball in D3, but NH playoff basketball in the other 3 divisions.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Division III Playoff Format Empty Wow I am having a positive effect after all

Post  chicagokid43 Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:05 am

Looks like my Indiana heritage is having a effect on hoops in NH after all.... lol

If everyone gets in.. open up the leagues to more cross scheduled games by only counting 14 of your regular season games in the seeding process and allow teams to jump divisions without the fear of losing ground in playoff seedings by playing up. That is my next suggestion.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri Dec 10, 2010 9:06 am

Sure would have been nice to see Milford play Pinkerton, BG, Trinity, Memorial, and some of the other Div I favorites this year....
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Division III Playoff Format Empty BG and Memorial

Post  chicagokid43 Fri Dec 10, 2010 6:47 pm

Milford did as much as possible I am told to get some out of conference games. They did get two quality scrimmages with BG last week and Memorial over the weekend. I do think it would have been fun for the players and the fans to see Milford in the Trinity gym or even Pinkerton or Central. I do wish we had divisions and more out of conference games. It would make the season a little more interesting and also allow coaches a few games to tweak things without really risking seedings for tourneys. Play your division and then a few out of the division.

I hope the NHIAA group is reading this...

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri Dec 10, 2010 7:06 pm

Probably not - but you also have to remember, last year Milford was great, this year Milford is great, and from what I hear they've got some great young players coming in, but 5, 6 years from now they may not be ready for the big time. Then you'll be happy they're playing schools in-division.

Unless of course your kid has graduated and you've moved to Bloomington IN to watch his career at Indiana....then I suppose it wouldn't matter.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Division III Playoff Format Empty Basketball

Post  chicagokid43 Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:53 pm

I really do not care if Milford is good or bad next year as far as my feelings for the format go. I think it is silly to drive to Hanover and Lebanon on a school night. I think it is silly that Milford or any other class I team will always have issues getting a team from D1 to play them. There seems to be a need to keep D1 as a balanced schedule. Meanwhile D2 teams are getting seeded based on a unfair schedule and traveling to far, to often for no reason. Make a North and a south division in D2 and play your division games once. Then allow teams to play up or down with rival teams.
It allows the players more time for homework, it makes the playoffs a little more interesting as many teams will be playing for the 1st time and the games out of division allow coaches to tinker with lineups and get other players minutes without risk. I think it is a win win. No one is saying that Milford should play up every year but heck why not make it where they can play down even. This state is so small that it is not like a team like Conant or Campbell would be dominated playing up and a team like Mascoma couldn't go into Lebanon and be ok.

I do not base these ideas only on Milfords success now. I say it because it would be an easy schedule,save travel and allow different matchups. All good things in my book.

Anyone know someone named Lisabean?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Dec 11, 2010 12:46 am

Well if a team is playing down...then a team is playing up.

What/who is this Lisabean you speak of?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down