@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

New Playoff Format

View previous topic View next topic Go down

New Playoff Format

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:23 am

There will be a new playoff format for D1 Boys this season. You can actually call it an old/new format.

12 teams will make the playoffs. Back in the 80s they went to 12 teams from 8 teams. they did this for a few years and then some powers to be changed it to 16 teams because of numerous upsets. Seeds 1 to 4 were having an extra 3 to 5 days off after seeds 5 to 12 played their prelim games. A number of 5 to 12 seeds upset the 1 to 4 seeds in the quarterfinals. The 5 to 12 seeds had the momentum of winning a playoff game while the 1 to 4 seeds faced rust and inactivity AND playing on the big floor at Lundholm in the quarterfinals. The most notable upset in the 80s to early 90s 12 team format was when the 1988  #1 seeded and undefeated Londonderry team lost in a huge upset to #8 Central in a quarterfinal game at UNH. That loss for Londonderry boys was like a Red sox curse loss until Cody Ball and Lancer company won it for Londonderry 26 years later.

So, now it's back to 12 teams. It should be interesting to see if there's any upsets in the quarterfinals, with the prelim winning teams having Big Mo on their side, while seeds 1 to 4 will have to fight off rust and extended inactivity again. The biggest difference will be seeds 1 to 4 this time will host the quarterfinal game. Back in the 80s/90s the quarterfinals were all played at UNH.

At this time I don't know if D2, D3 etc, will be going with the same playoff formats. My guess is the bigger the number of teams in the division, the more likely they'll stay at 16 teams. I have to admit as the number of teams dwindled in Class L/D1 boys it was getting a little ridiculous to see a #13 to #16 seed make the playoffs with a 6 -12 or 5 - 13 record.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Re: New Playoff Format

Post  JAF on Fri Nov 18, 2016 8:47 am

C'mon let's just give 'em all a trophy after the regular season, pat them on the back and tell them what a great job they did Shocked Very Happy Razz

For D1 it's probably a cost saving measure to avoid having to budget more $$$'s for 3-man officiating crews jocolor clown

I think a "reason" D2/D3 would keep higher numbers in the playoffs would have to do unbalanced schedules - easily fixed if they make conferences... It works in other parts of the country (check over the southern border).

Speaking of Big Mo - was Mo working that Central / Londonderry game in '88 Laughing ? Don't take me seriously - it's meant to be a joke! Upsets happen all the time regardless of whether 16 or 12 or 8 teams are participating.

In the end - I agree it's ridiculous to have sub .500 teams make the playoffs... Hopefully they carry this through to baseball as well where those sub .300 teams always seem to have some Ace that knocks off a top contender in the first round.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  NH12345 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:49 am

This is a new rule across the board in ALL sports. NHIAA has instituted a 70% rule, meaning that no more than 70% of the teams in the division can make the playoffs. Each committee can decide to go lower than that, if they feel it is appropriate. According to NHIAA rules, D1 could have allowed as many as 14 teams in. . . that makes for a weird bracket though.

Before 2002; it was 12 teams in the playoffs and the quarters were played at UNH, not just the semis and championship. The 2002-2003 season, when Pembroke and Goffstown first made D1 appearance the playoffs were changed to 16 teams and have stayed there since.

Yes, JAF, this will be in baseball as well.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum