New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams

5 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams Empty NH/VT Shrine Game

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Apr 03, 2010 9:39 am

Any feedback on the list come up by the NHSportsPage staff? There's obviously a ton of Seniors deserving here and narrowing it down to a single list is pretty difficult. I'm not entirely sure how the final team is actually chosen, but rest assured it's not by us NHSportsPage.com so this is just for fun. Here's the article:

http://www.nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=406

We cover the New Hampshire-Vermont Shrine game in Burlington every year by previewing the team and each player on it. I thought I'd get a head start this year and give you my 12-man team that would have the best chance to get Salem coach EJ Perry the W in July after two straight losses.

The starting five:

Center: Zach Mathieu of Pinkerton Academy

Mathieu gives New Hampshire a dominant big man for the first time in the last three years. At 6'7 he's a game changer. Mathieu will cause major match-up problems for Vermont and may demand a double team in the post. What can't be forgotten is his impact at the other end. Mathieu is athletic for his size and he'll protect the rim and allow defenders on the perimeter to take more chances knowing full well that Mathieu has their back.

Power Forward: Scott St. Lawrence of Bishop Guertin

I like St. Lawrence here because he can pop out and hit 14 footers as well as pass the ball into the low block to Mathieu. St. Lawrence had to do a lot of ball handling for BG, he won't be asked to here but EJ Parry likes big men who can finish pick and rolls at the rim and St. Lawrence is perfectly suited for that role.

Small Forward: Sean Martin of Conant

I like my small forwards to be able to get in the lane and finish at the rim and that is Martin's strength. Any all-star team like this is going to feature a ton of jump shooters, you need a guy who can draw fouls and make the defense collapse. Martin is as good as any forward in the state at getting to the basket on the bounce and he two very strong features 1) he has good size at 6'2 and 2) he is an excellent foul shooter.

He also never loses basketball games. Score that as a plus as well.

Shooting guard: Alex Burt of Dover

He is your proto-typical shooter and a players lounge member to boot, which never hurts. You can run him off screens and kick back out to him on secondary fast breaks. You need your 2 guard to be able to handle the ball under pressure and Burt is a very good handler. He has range out to 23 feet and is an underrated passer at 4 assists per game.

Point guard: Jake Nelson of Nashua South

Everyone in Salem is yelling at their computer screen. Allow me to explain. First off I doubt EJ Perry is starting anyone over his own guy but I like Nelson as the pass first point guard. He'll get the ball up the floor under pressure and he can make good entry passes into the post from the wing. That is what you want from your point guard on a team with this much talent. You've got four other starters who each averaged over 15 points per game. You want a point guard to steer the ship and Nelson is that guy.

The bench:
With the rules in place for the games players play in shifts so the bench is extremely important and as always; it's not who starts the game that matters, it's who finishes it.

Alex LaRosa of Salem

As mentioned we need instant offense and a guy who can run an offense. LaRosa is that guy and since EJ Perry is the coach you need a guy who can run the high pick and roll. LaRosa can do that and he can score in his sleep.

Cormac Fitzpatrick of Manchester Memorial

The issue for New Hampshire the last two years is they have brought some very accomplished shooters who really struggled up in Burlington so you need a few guys who can shoot it. Fitzpatrick is the best long-range shooter in the state so with him in the game it forces Vermont to spread their man-to-man defense out, this creates space for ball handlers like LaRosa and Martin.

Mike Barton of Portsmouth

He's a coach's dream because he'll pick up the offense fast (Jim Mulvey runs a variation of the old Princeton offense) and he'll do whatever it takes to win. On a team this loaded Barton might not even take a shot and he wouldn't have to be one of the most valuable players on the team. He's got size at 6'3 to rebound and he can also handle the ball very well if Vermont applies full court pressure. He also might be the best passer on this team.

Tommy McDonnell of Oyster River

He's your back-up point guard and someone you can hand the keys to the car over to. McDonnell is not a true point guard but he has size to guard forwards and an ability to shoot the three. His versatility will come in handy on this team. McDonnell is underrated as a passer and he has the ability to get into the paint off the dribble. Oyster River big men at times had problems converting on McDonnell's dishes down low. That will not be an issue on this team.

Ben Proulx of Pinkerton Academy

He's versatile; he can rebound, defend and always looks like he's going to beat someone up. That's a very good combination. He's a smart basketball player and Proulx would be a good addition to this team. I like him slightly over Tom Poitras of Bow to provide some muscle down low. His chemistry on the floor with Mathieu is a big plus.

Jesse Gould of Winnacunnet

We've got size on the block and three guys who can play point guard. For this spot I want a reliable spot up shooter and I'll give Gould nod over Coleton Neely of Pembroke because of his size. Gould is 6'1 and can get after it defensively. He has good range with the jumper and a decent pull-up jumper in the lane. With Burt, LaRosa, Fitzpatrick and Gould you have four guys who can all bury three's.

Justin Whipple of Littleton

You need a Class S representative but Whipple is hardly a throw in. He can get to the paint and shoot over bigger players with his leaping ability and has the kind of speed for a forward to get down the court and finish fast breaks. Whipple is also a very good offensive rebounder and you can never have too many of those.

My alternates:

Coleton Neely of Pembroke

He can flat out score but we you also don't want too many small guards as Vermont is traditionally a pretty big team.

Jake Woodward of Lebanon

Athletic big man who can guard big men and run the floor.

Jimmy Peard of Conant

A scrapper down low who can rebound and finish in traffic. Peard is a back to the basket low post scorer and that is a rarity in high school basketball these days. This team only has one true power forward so Peard should get strong consideration.

Tom Poitras of Bow

You need a banger off the bench and this is your guy. Poitras could spell Mathieu and has the size to make sure there isn't a significant drop off in length under the glass. Poitras can score but on this team his job would be to rebound and outlet quickly so New Hampshire can start the break.

There is your team. Mathieu, Proulx and St. Lawrence give you pretty good size. You've got four players who can handle the ball, four shooters, two big men and two glue guys who are versatile enough to help you in several different ways. I also considered Kemph Kim of Conant (he would provide on the ball defensive pressure and he can orchestrate a fast break as well as anyone), Shelden Benson of Pembroke, Phil Hayden of Trinity (steady/will handle the ball and distribute) and Anthony Floras of Merrimack (a needed defensive stopper in case someone from Vermont gets hot) and you can make a strong argument for each.

The real question is do all of these players come out for the team? The turnout of key players has been very disappointing the last two seasons. Not to get all patriotic on you but it should be an honor to play for your state against Vermont. You'd like to see all the players in contention for a spot come out for the team.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams Empty Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon May 17, 2010 9:00 am

Announced about a month ago - but don't remember a thread where we discussed the teams chances, etc.

30th Annual Merchants Bank - Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic 2010 NH Teams

New Hampshire Basketball Coaches Organization President Mike Soucy announced today the rosters for the Team NH 2010 teams that will compete against Vermont in the 30th Annual Merchants Bank - Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic to be played Saturday July 10th at the Patrick Gymnasium at University of Vermont on the Burlington campus.

Players must graduate from their respective high school in June 2010. Coaches are selected by their peers on a rotating basis from Class L to Class S. Players are selected upon recommendations of high school coaches, play in the Granite Games senior all-star event and an open try out.

Girls Coach Dave Nichols of Oyster River High School and his all-star team staff have chosen:

F Rosa Drummond Class I, Portsmouth High School;
F Jordan Ferland Class M, Fall Mountain Regional High School;
G AJ Guidi, Class L, Pinkerton Academy;
G Kyla Gustaveson, Class L, Nashua North High School;
F Katherine Menge, Class I, Hanover High School;

G Callie King, Class L, Londonderry High School;
G Skyler Makkinje, Class M, Hillsboro-Deering High School;
G Briahnna Metcalf, Class S, Pittsfield High School;
F Emily Pelletier, Class S, Groveton High School;
F Anna Prohl, Class I, Kearsarge Regional High School;
C Emily Siegart, Class L, Winnacunnet High School;
G Samantha Walker, Class L, Manchester Central High School;
C Camryn Warner, Class L, Keene High School;
Asst. Coach Nick Hill, Class M, Conant Regional High School;
Asst. Coach Kate Nichols, Class I, Oyster River High School;
Girls Team Supervisor Jess Clark, Class L, Dover High School.

Boys Head Coach EJ Perry of Salem High School and his all-star staff have selected:

G Sheldon Benson, Class I, Pembroke Academy
G Alex Burt, Class L, Dover High School;
C Kevin Cressey, Class I, Merrimack Valley High School;
G Cormac Fitzpatrick, Class L, Manchester Memorial High School;
G Cam Heffron, Class I, Kearsarge Regional High School;
G Alex LaRosa, Class L, Salem High School;
G Sean Martin, Class M, Conant Regional High School;
F Tom McDonnell, Class I, Oyster River High School;
G Jake Nelson, Class L, Nashua South High School
F Jimmy Peard, Class M, Conant Regional High School
C Tom Poitras, Class I, Bow High School
G Alex Pratt, Class L, Nashua North High School;
F Scott St Lawrence, Class L, Bishop Guertin High School;
F Dalton Scott, Class S, Colebrook Academy;
Asst. Coach Nate Camp, Class I, Kearsarge Regional High School;
Asst. Coach Mike Dunham, Class M, Campbell Regional High School

Practices for the two squads do not start until following completion of spring high school sports and graduation activities. Teams are limited to eight practices/scrimmages before traveling to Vermont in July. The New Hampshire Basketball Coaches Organization underwrite fifty percent of player expenses and the Burlington Sunrise Rotary Club covers the balance through program sales. All proceeds go to Rotary charities.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams Empty Re: Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon May 17, 2010 6:25 pm

The team is HEAVILY guard orientated...which troubles me. But the strength was not in size this year around the state. The one guy who would have given this team a chance, Mathieu will likely be enrolled at Franklin Pierce playing summer baseball...so not on the team.

Could be a long game, VT usually comes with a plethora of bigs looking to bang. That said, if Fitzy, Burt and Larosa are hitting from outside, Martin getting into the lane and Cressy, Peard and Poitras can rebound they'll have a chance.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams Empty Re: Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon May 17, 2010 10:53 pm

I totally agree with you Asst. Peard and St. Lawrence are the only gritty big men on the roster for NH. Cressy and Poitras play smaller than their size would indicate. If VT comes with a front line like they had last year it could be a Green Mountain game as opposed to a White Mountain game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:28 pm

Well this game is coming up (next weekend I believe). I've heard here and there that the NH squad has had at least 2 mini-camps this summer and read somewhere on Jeremys blog that they even scrimmaged the NH Jayhawks AAU squad. Wonder how that game played out.

As I've said before, I think they'll struggle without Mathieu in the middle, but they'll have Cressy, Peard and a couple other medium sized guys to fill in for him. Don't know a lot about the VT team, but they tend to have some burly big men, and that coupled with the NH's historic poor shooting performances in this game doesn't bode well for the Granite Staters. Good luck to all the guys, I think if they rebound, and hit shots, we'll be ok.

NH Sports Page will have a preview of the game coming up in the next week or so...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams Empty Ladies

Post  8992 Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:19 pm

Any info on the Rotary ladies team?

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:56 am

An article from the Burlington Free Press...Also gives dates for all the other Twin State games:

With all the high school state championships for spring sports teams awarded, the focus for graduating seniors is the start of the annual summer tradition of all-star games.

Many of them feature the classic Vermont vs. New Hampshire rivalry.

The newest all-star competition will be the inaugural Twin State boys and girls track and field meet planned for noon Saturday at Hanover, N.H. The Hanover Lions Club added the track meet to its annual celebration that features a Twin-State lacrosse doubleheader. The girls lacrosse game is at 12:30 p.m. and the boys is at 3 p.m., part of eight competitions next weekend.

Here are the dates and times of the events that have been publicly announced:

The inaugural Twin State Track and Field meet at Hanover, N.H. High School, noon June 26.

Sixth annual North-South Senior Baseball at Colchester High School, doubleheader, 1 and 4 p.m., June 26.

15th annual Twin State girls lacrosse game at Hanover, N.H., High School, 12:30 p.m., June 26.

18th annual Twin State boys lacrosse game at Hanover, N.H., High School, 3 p.m. June 26.

13th annual Make-A-Wish Twin State girls ice hockey at Gutterson Fieldhouse, University of Vermont, 4 p.m. June 26.

18th annual Make-A-Wish Twin State boys ice Hockey at Gutterson Fieldhouse, University of Vermont, 6:30 p.m. June 26.

27th annual Twin-State Field Hockey Classic at Doc Jacobs Sports Complex at St. Michael's College, 11 a.m. June 27.

11th annual Twin-State golf at Country Club of New Hampshire, Sutton, N.H., 1 p.m. July 1.

24th annual North-South softball game at Castleton State College, doubleheader (7 innings), 4 and 6 p.m. July 2, and one game (nine innings), noon July 3.

30th annual Merchants Bank Rotary Twin State basketball at Patrick Gym, University of Vermont, girls game, 1 p.m. and boys game at 3 p.m., July 10.

28th annual Lions Cup Twin State Girls Soccer Classic at Castleton State College, noon July 17.

36th annual Lions Cup Twin State boys soccer at Castleton State College, 2:30 p.m., July 17.

57th annual Shrine football game at Windsor High School, 2:30 p.m. Aug. 7.

Read more: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20100620/SPORTS05/6200328/Senior-all-star-games-begin-next-weekend#ixzz0siKBbeb1
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Jul 08, 2010 4:56 pm

DHaley34's NHSportsPage.com preview of this weekends game up in Vermont. A good read, should be a good game.

http://www.nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=468
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  NHhoopfan Sat Jul 10, 2010 12:32 pm

Does anyone know if there is anywhere online I can listen to or watch the two games today?

NHhoopfan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Jul 10, 2010 2:10 pm

I'll look around but I don't think so....

Here's a preview of the Vermont side.

http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20100710/SPORTS05/7100320/Vermont-prepares-for-Twin-State-showdowns
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Jul 10, 2010 4:58 pm

any word on how either game went? boys or girls??

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:13 pm

88-73 Vermont wins. Larosa got NH MVP.

EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:14 pm

NH Girls win 60-56.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:29 am

Here's your write ups from the on-point Burlington Free Press:

Boys: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20100710/SPORTS05/100710004/1002/SPORTS/Vermont-boys-ride-fast-start

Girls: http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/article/20100710/SPORTS05/100710002/1002/SPORTS/New-Hampshire-girls-nab-60-56-victory
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:12 am

Interesting that Warner received the player of the game for NH girls. You would think Ruffin stood a 90 percent chance of receiving that award.

Hopefully, the majority of the talented incoming senior class for NH will commit to play in next year's Rotary game in NH to break the VT boy's winning streak.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:48 am

Cmon Coach T&F....you know MVPs are not just about scoring right?

I wasn't there (check Jeremys blog I'm sure he'll do a write up on the girls - he was there) but from her stats looks like she may have been in the mix a bit more with the rebounding, etc.

From the boys perspective, I dunno...we had a team full of shooters, who, shockingly, didn't shoot well from Jermeys recap. Story of the last 3 years for the NH squad. While NH typically puts out more DI, DII and DIII college talent then VT, I think the gap is closing. VT basketball has really been put on the map with the success of the UVM team (both mens and women's) and it's resonated to more interest from the Elementary to HS levels. I wonder what would happen if UNH could get their basketball act together?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:40 pm

Asst- I'm not talking about the stats from yesterday's game. I'm talking about going into the game one would think Ruffin would be the MVP for NH. I'm sure Warner deserved it. I saw her play last year and she's a very skilled Big. Going into the game I'm sure at least 7 to 9 out of 10 B-ball fans from NH would project Ruffin to win the MVP award. I'm not taking anything away from Warner.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:51 pm

Gotchya...you're right on that one. 16 pts in an all star game is a pretty good statline, sounds lime TR did her job.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:09 pm

Its not up yet, but I think the archive of the game will be posted here eventually. Apparently it WAS live. Thanks to Jeremy L for the tip from comments in his blog about the game.

http://www.nsnsports.net/members/video/archive/
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Jul 11, 2010 8:30 pm

The one ongoing theme in the boy's game from the last couple of years is NH getting dominated in the paint and on the glass by Vermont. Next year's NH coach would truly benefit if Madol 6'5, Wickey 6'6, Hill 6'8, Green 6'4 and others among Spirou, Faustino and Maher at 6'4 and 6'3 were to play on the Granite State team. There's more than enough 1s, 2s and 3s to pick from, but NH needs some quality 4s and 5s to take back the Rotary trophy.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:37 am

Even a lot of those guys you mentioned are almost 'tweeneres' to me. They like to take their game to the free-throw line extended and face up to get to the rim or shoot jump shots. Wickey and Hill are maybe the exceptions. We need some guys who can be a threat with their back to the basket, and have the IQ to kick the ball out to open jumpshooters. While I wasn't at the game this weekend, sounds as if the gameplan was to get the guards open looks off screen and rolls, and any shooter will tell you its a lot harder to shoot off the dribble than it is catching a ball coming back at you from the post.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:08 am

I hear what you are saying about the "tweener" situation, but the alternative is 5'10 to 6'3 and that won't work against Vermont. Maybe the Vermont boys are drinking milk with growth hormones in it while NH boys are drinking all that organic milk that is totally healthy, but comes from cows with no growth hormones. When you lose a few times you really search for the reasons why Smile.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Rotary Twin State Basketball Classic Teams Empty Better squad next year

Post  basketballtime Mon Jul 12, 2010 10:56 am

If the 2011 class plays next year they will win mark it down if you don't believe me. They will have rebounding and inside presence the whole game with Madol, Hill, Wickey and Green. add that to outside shooting and with holder being able to slash to the hoop and create you will have a well rounded team that will not only compete but i believe dominate Vermont next year as long as most of those kids play. Which leads me to my next question some of these kids may be doing a post grad next year and if that happens then you lose kids like Green, Madol, Holder ect because they would be playing another year with their aau teams. And the weekend they play this game on runs into the the four day aau tourney's in Springfield and conn that would be a shame.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Jul 12, 2010 11:15 am

This is why I used the term, "if" as in "If they play." There's so many more things going on than there was 5 to 10 years ago you can't count on fielding the best team from NH in this Rotary game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:48 pm

You might get kids around NH excited if they covered it somewhere in the Newspaper, or on the news. Trust me i grew up in VT, this game is a big deal. Vermonters LOVE to beat NH at anything. It's covered on the news, radio and newspapers before, during and after the event.

Here in NH I searched ALL weekend for a game feed, article or anything for that matter and only came up with NHSportsPage's preview. Back in April there were a few articles about the players selected for the game, but it was largely weak and with no opinion or assessment of the teams chances.

Just another thought, I just don't think we care as much so why would the best players get involved? Also, in VT there's a "tryout" for this game. VT has their own all star game that pits the North vs. South (that wouldn't work in NH but maybe East vs. West would). From that all-senior North/South team they select the roster for the Twin State game based on season performance and N/S game performance. Its really a unique way to approach it b/c some kids just fold in the All-Star game format, and it's nice to see who the real 'stars' are that will carry the team.

Do they ever play this game in NH? that might help too...seems like its been up in Burlington the last couple of years.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next