New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Leading Scorers D1 & D2 Boys

+14
GreenwaveAlum
Hoopfan4
amcman7
SeacoastDad
CasualFan
GNG
mmartineaunhti2015
EBlessNHSP
FOXY LADY
Crossover
The Edge
BoscoD39
newtothismom
Tuesday and Friday
18 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Leading Scorers D1 & D2 Boys Empty Leading Scorers D1 & D2 Boys

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:12 am

Courtesy of the NH Sports Page here are the Top 20 scorers in D1 and D2 boys. Interesting to note 3 of the Top 4 scorers in D1 are centers. Could it be Paradis, Preston and Lunn are in the Top 5 and will stay there the rest of the year because they're just aren't too many other centers in D1 who can defend these 3 on a consistent basis?

It really sticks out when you see 30.0 ppg next to Patrick Welch's name.

Top 20 Division 1 Scorers
# Player Name Team GP PPG Total Points
1 Kaleb Marquis Concord 3 20.7 62
2 Dominic Paradis Spaulding 4 20.5 82
3 Jack Preston Nashua South 4 18.8 75
4 Jeff Lunn Bishop Guertin 4 18.0 72
5 Billy Carroll Dover 3 16.3 49
6 Eric Gendron Merrimack 4 16.3 65
7 Brett Hansen Manchester Central 4 16.0 64
8 David Dunham Nashua South 4 14.3 57
9 Mabor Gabriel Trinity 3 14.0 42
10 Mike Wons Dover 4 13.8 55
11 Dawson Dickson Manchester Central 4 13.8 55
12 Colin Shaughnessy Dover 4 13.5 54
13 Josh Cote Dover 4 13.5 54
14 Tyler Livingston Alvirne 3 13.0 39
15 Ryan Gigliotti Winnacunnet 4 13.0 52
16 Ryan Otis Trinity 3 13.0 39
17 Cameron Meservey Bedford 3 12.7 38
18 Tim Preston Nashua South 4 12.3 49
19 Jack Hartman Salem 3 12.3 37
20 Troy Pelletier Manchester Central 4 12

Top 20 Division II Scoring Leaders
# Player Name Team GP PPG Total Points
1 Patrick Welch Pembroke Academy 5 30.0 150
2 Brandon Len Souhegan 3 23.3 70
3 Nick Lazar Oyster River 4 22.3 89
4 David Hampton Lebanon 4 21.0 84
5 Travis MacDonald Portsmouth 3 19.7 59
6 Jacob Mount Goffstown 3 18.7 56
7 Ben Landry Portsmouth 3 18.0 54
8 PJ Flaum Hollis/Brookline 4 17.8 71
9 Nicolas Lloyd John Stark 3 17.7 53
10 Jonathan Nartiff St. Thomas Aquinas 3 17.7 53
11 Keith Brown Pelham 5 17.4 87
12 Andrew Lowman Windham 3 17.0 51
13 Matt Persons Pembroke Academy 4 14.8 59
14 Anthony Shea Oyster River 4 14.5 58
15 Joe Bell Bishop Brady 4 14.5 58
16 Robert White Goffstown 3 14.0 42
17 Alex Shea St. Thomas Aquinas 3 13.3 40
18 Jake Vaiknoras Pelham 5 12.8 64
19 Ryan Head Merrimack Valley 4 12.0 48
20 Jared Kuehl Plymouth 3 11.3 34

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Leading Scorers D1 & D2 Boys Empty Re: Leading Scorers D1 & D2 Boys

Post  newtothismom Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:39 am

I think this list would mean more if it included minutes played per game. Players on teams with more evenly distributed play time may not be on this list but still have impressive stats. Forum members keep referencing the lack of depth on certain teams, I assume those teams play certain players more or coaches just may prefer keeping certain players on the floor (perhaps just to help them with these types of stats) while other coaches have more a team concept.

newtothismom
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:01 pm

12. Pat Mahoney Timberlane 3 13.7 41

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Jan 07, 2013 12:02 pm

I don't think you're going to receive the minutes played stat, NTTM. I'll speak for Dave Haley (Powerful concept) and say he and his staff have enough of a tough time garnering scoring stats. I don't think you'll find his staff trying to secure the minutes played stat.

Most fans just want the scoring leaders without making it too much of an SAT problem. It is what it is and kudos to the NH Sports Page for doing the leg work and providing HS basketball fans with these scoring stats.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:07 pm

Scoring leaders list to me mean nothing without the other stats .(assists,rebounds,steals). I know we will never see those as most teams probably don't even keep them never mind report them. The one thing I look for on a scoring leaders list is a team that has multiple names on it. (i.e Central, South, and Dover). This implies a well balanced scoring team that can withstand a cold/well defended night by any one player. Combine that with their Defensive points per game and I come up with my favorite:

Central 47.75 Dppg
South 47.75 Dppg
Dover 63 Dppg

Of course it is still early in the season.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Crossover Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:50 pm

I agree with The Edge.......well said.

Lets not fall in love with player scoring stats fellas.....most overrated stat there is.

Crossover
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:22 pm

Wow, tough crowd on a Monday. Mad

Relax fellow Forum members. I put this list on for informational purposes.... Not for constructive criticism purposes. I just put it out there because it was recently put on NH Sportspage and some people might not be able to find it.

Take a deep breath, enjoy your week and RELAX. Cool Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Leading Scorers D1 & D2 Boys Empty Leading Scorers D1 & D2 Boys

Post  The Edge Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:55 pm

T&F - Apologies if I came across as critical. Just stating my opinion. No criticism intended.

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  FOXY LADY Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:59 pm

T&F Way to stir up the Forum on a Monday morning.; Very Happy

FOXY LADY
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:25 pm

Foxy, not stirring up the pot.... Just putting the scoring food in it.

Where have you been Foxy? Rustling the bushes with Cool Hand Luke down the country road?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:52 pm

I suppose we could provide nothing at all. Then you could rely on the NHIAA for their scoring, game stories, video, interviews, analysis and up to date standings...

Sorry, got a soft spot there.

T&F is right. There's no implication of who is better than another. Its not a ranking of skill. They are....scoring leaders. If you're drawing conclusions on who is a better basketball player based on a scoring leaders list then you all must be very big David Lee fans (he's 10th in the NBA right now. Amazing huh)
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 07, 2013 3:54 pm

BoscoD39 wrote:12. Pat Mahoney Timberlane 3 13.7 41

Pat only has 2 games reported to NH Sports Page. We require 3 minimum to be listed. Just means his stats weren't available from any Coach, AD or Newspaper Outlet for us to record them. Send them along and we'll get them in there provided they come from a reputable source.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Crossover Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:21 pm

Point taken.

FYI.......I love NH Sports Page!
I think you all do a great job with the site.

David Lee 10th in the NBA in scoring??.......Amazing is right!

Crossover
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Edge Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:25 pm

EBlessNHSP wrote:I suppose we could provide nothing at all. Then you could rely on the NHIAA for their scoring, game stories, video, interviews, analysis and up to date standings...

Sorry, got a soft spot there.

T&F is right. There's no implication of who is better than another. Its not a ranking of skill. They are....scoring leaders. If you're drawing conclusions on who is a better basketball player based on a scoring leaders list then you all must be very big David Lee fans (he's 10th in the NBA right now. Amazing huh)

Wow ..... my apologies again. Was not trying to be critical to anyone. My comments support your statement that you can not draw conclusions about a players overall skill set from a scoring leaders list without the other supporting stats. I then stated that it was useful in that you could draw some conclusions about a teams offense prowess via the number of individuals on the list. Combine that with their Defensive PPG (which I get from your site) and you can then determine who truly are the better teams.
I actually am a big fan of the NH Sportspage and truly appreciate the fine work you do. I would sign my son up as a player's member but he unfortunately suffered a season ending injury. How else may I donate?

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  mmartineaunhti2015 Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:27 pm

I am looking at the NBA official site and they have David Lee ranked 11th in the scoring leaders. You guys had it wrong. Get your facts right before you post something.

mmartineaunhti2015
All-State
All-State

https://www.youtube.com/user/MichaelMartineaumchs

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:36 pm

Edge - that was mostly tongue and cheek, hard to come across on a msg board I know. Anyway, no disrespect meant either way. Thank you for your support.

We are actually open to critism on the site - certainly some of the best improvements in websites and software products come from the Users/Readers. I hope this forum can be a place where ideas and suggestions for our site are discussed!

As for donating, we certainly appreciate the offer! I'm pretty sure you can use PayPal, I'm getting with Dave Haley on it, or you could email him yourself at davehaley@nhsportspage.com. I'll find out and respond shortly.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:41 pm

mmartineauchs2013 wrote:I am looking at the NBA official site and they have David Lee ranked 11th in the scoring leaders. You guys had it wrong. Get your facts right before you post something.

I know you are joking...but he actually is 10th according to the NBA official site (and ESPN).

http://www.nba.com/statistics/player/Scoring.jsp?league=00&conf=OVERALL&position=0&splitType=9&splitScope=GAME&qualified=Y&yearsExp=-1&splitDD=
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothismom Mon Jan 07, 2013 4:49 pm

T&F - I think most forum members know how to find the NHSportspage. My impression was you put this up on the forum to highlight the list and gets responses. Which you did. Putting up lists without the relevant additional facts just adds to youth angst (and don't think they don't follow these discussions). I equate it to listing a baseball player's batting average at 1.0 and thinking they are awesome without explaining that they only had one a bat or a pitching stat without listing number of innings pitched.

newtothismom
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Leading Scorers D1 & D2 Boys Empty Youth Angst over a scoring list.

Post  GNG Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:13 pm

Really. Shocked

Come on. Razz

Your joking right. Razz

PEOPLE GET A GRIP. clown

It's just a list of who is scoring. Basketball

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:25 pm

newtothismom wrote:T&F - I think most forum members know how to find the NHSportspage. My impression was you put this up on the forum to highlight the list and gets responses. Which you did. Putting up lists without the relevant additional facts just adds to youth angst (and don't think they don't follow these discussions). I equate it to listing a baseball player's batting average at 1.0 and thinking they are awesome without explaining that they only had one a bat or a pitching stat without listing number of innings pitched.

The list has games played. It's the first number. Nobody in HS basketbal counts minutes played. Nobody in the entire country (I've done very little research). Perhaps some of the big name prep schools do that have the staff for it.

Technically speaking, there could be a player in NH (probably is) who has scored more than these kids and isn't on this list because nobody reports his statistics.

Also, to answer a previous forum members point - we do have the ability gather assists, rebounds, FGs, FTs made/missed but so far haven't gotten that data so we don't report it. I coached at Alvirne for 4 years and each year we different student managers who kept the assists/rebounds, etc.

They did a really good job for us and we used the stats internally, but it wasn't something the NHIAA required we submit, and I would be hard pressed to have passed it on to a site like NHSP because we have a competitive advantage knowing our strengths/weaknesses according to the stats, so why give them away?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 07, 2013 5:32 pm

If you'd like to contribute to NH Sports Page please Private Message me your email address and we will email you a donation submission via PayPal. You can then donate as much as you'd like.

Thank you all for your continued support.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  CasualFan Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:06 pm

I have to agree with GNG on this one. It's just a list of points provided by coaches after each game. Don't read more into it than what it is. Thanks for compiling and posting. It would be awesome to see assists, rebounds etc but coaches have a hard enough time posting points on each player. Can't wait for Tuesday night 1/8/13 game predictions and conversations to begin.

CasualFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  newtothismom Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:22 pm

Not that I'm looking for a debate, but these types of lists just bug me (so I'm wasting way more time on this than I should). I looked at the NHSportspage and listed below in order teams by points scored (only for teams that played 4 games). I then listed the number of players on each team listed in the top 20 list:

BG 1
Spaulding 1
Winnie 1
Memorial 0
Dover 4
Nashua South 3
Londonderry 0
Keene 0
Central 3
Alvirne 1
Merrimack 1
Exeter 0
Concord 1
Nashua North 0
Timberlane 0

What does this top 20 list even mean? No player from Memorial is even on it yet they are the 4th highest scoring team. I wasn't expecting it to show this but it appears the top 4 scoring teams (at least offensively) may be better over all teams since they appear to have more evenly distributed scoring. Yet this forum seemed to indicate that Memorial didn't have much of a bench but had some great players. So perhaps not. It's curious how 3 teams have so many players in top 20. This is where minutes played would be interesting to know or maybe just anecdotal insight of people who have seen these teams play.

newtothismom
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Mon Jan 07, 2013 6:41 pm

Bottom line - you're not going to be able to take a lot from a top scoring list except these are the top scorers - based on the stats provided.

It's not meant to make any assumptions or conclusions about how good a team/player is.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:41 pm

EBlessNHSP wrote:Bottom line - you're not going to be able to take a lot from a top scoring list except these are the top scorers - based on the stats provided.

It's not meant to make any assumptions or conclusions about how good a team/player is.

Maybe not, but one of the fun parts about following sports is this type of statistical analysis and the theories you can offer from it. Newtothismom's analysis is a good example. If the top four scoring teams in D-1 each have no more than one player in the top 20 scoring list, what might this tell you? Well, for one thing, it tells me that these teams have balanced scoring (either from the starters and/or a deep bench), and that opposing teams might not be able to focus on shutting down just one or two players.

You could expand the analysis to look at what percentage of his team's points does each player score. As an example, through the three games reported, top scorer Kaleb Marquis of Concord (20.7ppg) has scored more than half of his team's points (62 of 122). It's pretty clear that if you shut down Mr. Marquis, you should beat Concord. On the other hand, second leading scorer Dominic Paradis of Spaulding (20.5ppg) has scored 29% of his team's points (82 of 281). So, you can't assume you can beat Spaulding by simply shutting down Mr. Paradis.

Fun with numbers, fun to analyze, all in good fun.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next