@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

1000 point scorers

Go down

1000 point scorers Empty 1000 point scorers

Post  goldenbear on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:54 pm

With two guys reaching the mark this week I was wondering if anyone knows do most schools count Christmas tourney's game and do post season games count as well.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty 1000 pts

Post  tarrier on Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:49 pm

Matt Alosa told me earlier this year that holiday tourney and postseason games count toward career scoring totals. He should know because he scored what I believe is a NH record 2875 pts in his 4 years at Pembroke Academy. To put that into prospective...there's 18 regular season games, then usually 3 holiday tourney games, then maybe 1-4 playoff games depending if your team even gets to the postseason...and then how far you advance. So a guy like Alosa, who's teams were very good, probably played in about 23-25 games/year for 4 years. That means he averaged almost 30 ppg over his entire 4 year high school career! Any clue how many Bonner had in his career? Or a guy like Skip Barry from BG? Or other great NH High School scorers?

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty Re: 1000 point scorers

Post  middleschoolball on Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:13 pm

tarrier wrote: Any clue how many Bonner had in his career?
Matt Bonner had 2,459 in his High School Career. Played Varsity all 4 years.

middleschoolball
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty Bonner

Post  tarrier on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:37 am

I think what helped keep Bonner's scoring #s "down" was that he played with a bunch of other players who were really good...and had big time size. I remember Eric Strand was a 6-4 guard who ended up going D2 @ UMASS Lowell, Ethan Cole was a 6-10 center who went to Syracuse and then I think transferred to UNH. I also recall another 6-6 or so kid...I think Jack Reardon who I believe played at Keene. They also had a smaller guard who's name I can't remember. I remember going to a game @ BG just to check out this kid Bonner who everyone was talking about. I didn't have a roster so I had no clue who was who...and at that particular game I thought Strand was Bonner because he looked like the best player on the floor that night. BG had a really good big man that year now that I think of it, but I can't remember his name. I think it was a loooooong last name with lots of letters.

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:48 am

Good point on Bonner, Pete. Those Concord teams were so talented. They won 3 in a row. Opponents had a tough time matching up with their skill, height and depth. Some nights Bonner only had to score 12 to 15 points in big games because Strand would torch you for 15 to 20 and Cole might've had a severe mismatch and went off for 20+.

Believe me any where Concord went to play there was a buzz to go see them and this kid named Bonner. Once people saw them a couple of times or more they realized the rest of the team was REALLY GOOD also.

One of their biggest scares in their 3 year run in the playoffs was either a quarter or semi at Lundholm against Central and Coach Fitzpatrick. Central shortened the game by holding the ball and taking a lot of time off the clock on each offensive possession. Central had the ball down by 1 and their best player on the team, Calen Paquette, shot up about a 20 footer at the buzzer that went half way in and then out. Concord survived and won something like 33 to 32. I'm sure if the NHN, NHSF or NHSP was around back then all the NH Basketball natives would've surely beaten the war drums for a shot clock etc etc etc. the day after the game.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

1000 point scorers Empty All In The Family

Post  SeacoastDad on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:04 am

When Conant’s Devin Springfield passed the 1,000 point mark this season, he became the fourth person in his family to reach that plateau for Conant, joining his father, David Springfield, sister Brooke Springfield and aunt Karen Belletete in the club. There is at least one more Springfield in the pipeline – freshman sensation Maddy Springfield.

While the Springfield family is impressive, I don’t think anyone can top the Friels from Oyster River. Five children of the late UNH basketball coach Gerry Friel -- Keith, Greg, Jeremy, Jennifer and Jilliane -- are all 1,000 point scorers at OR.

Can anyone think of other siblings/family members that are in the 1,000 point club? How about the Bonners – Matt, Luke and Becky – did they all score 1,000? I’m sure there are a number of sets of siblings, but how about three or more from the same family?

(Credit: some of this information was copied from the Keene Sentinel and Foster’s Daily Democrat)

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:26 pm

Deb and Erin Russell both were 1000 point scorers from Kennett they were sisters

Deb was I think a 2000 point scorer

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  middleschoolball on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:12 pm

tarrier wrote:I think what helped keep Bonner's scoring #s "down" was that he played with a bunch of other players who were really good...and had big time size. I remember Eric Strand was a 6-4 guard who ended up going D2 @ UMASS Lowell, Ethan Cole was a 6-10 center who went to Syracuse and then I think transferred to UNH. I also recall another 6-6 or so kid...I think Jack Reardon who I believe played at Keene. They also had a smaller guard who's name I can't remember. I remember going to a game @ BG just to check out this kid Bonner who everyone was talking about. I didn't have a roster so I had no clue who was who...and at that particular game I thought Strand was Bonner because he looked like the best player on the floor that night. BG had a really good big man that year now that I think of it, but I can't remember his name. I think it was a loooooong last name with lots of letters.

The smaller guard was Eric Robinson. BG's kid was Evan Breckinridge. BG was the only team to beat Concord in '97. BG lost two games to a much lower seed and that placed them at #2. BG had to face Winnacunnet in the semis for the 3rd year in a row. Jack Ford coached the Warriors and gave BG a 3 pointer class in that semi game hitting 12 that game and making 9 in a row at one point to win 74-45. Winnacunnet made it in the finals for the 3rd year in a row facing Concord. Watching that BG-Winny game we couldn't understand why BG did not defend the arch after the first 3 made 3 pointers.

middleschoolball
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  middleschoolball on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:16 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:Good point on Bonner, Pete. Those Concord teams were so talented. They won 3 in a row. Opponents had a tough time matching up with their skill, height and depth. Some nights Bonner only had to score 12 to 15 points in big games because Strand would torch you for 15 to 20 and Cole might've had a severe mismatch and went off for 20+.

Believe me any where Concord went to play there was a buzz to go see them and this kid named Bonner. Once people saw them a couple of times or more they realized the rest of the team was REALLY GOOD also.

One of their biggest scares in their 3 year run in the playoffs was either a quarter or semi at Lundholm against Central and Coach Fitzpatrick. Central shortened the game by holding the ball and taking a lot of time off the clock on each offensive possession. Central had the ball down by 1 and their best player on the team, Calen Paquette, shot up about a 20 footer at the buzzer that went half way in and then out. Concord survived and won something like 33 to 32.

Concord had great teams in the 90's but the best was with Bonner 96 through 99. Great supporting cast as well as Bonner.

That Concord-Central slowdown game was 30-29 final and Ryan Day was the one who threw up the 3 pointer at the buzzer. There was a Concord-Central semi in 96, 97 and 99.

middleschoolball
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  middleschoolball on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:21 pm

SeacoastDad wrote:Can anyone think of other siblings/family members that are in the 1,000 point club? How about the Bonners – Matt, Luke and Becky – did they all score 1,000? I’m sure there are a number of sets of siblings, but how about three or more from the same family?

(

Yes Matt, Luke & Becky all scored 1000 points in their high school careers(Matt scored 2000).

middleschoolball
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:33 pm

Thanks for the clarification MSBall.

Coach Wenners of Central Girls (One of my all time favorites I love you ) actually corrected me on Ryan Day being the shooter earlier tonight. He wagered me a lifetime of Billy's draft beers it was Ryan Day and not Calen Paquette. Once I saw the draft beer thing I knew Coach Wenners was seriously right. He was on the Central coaching staff for that game. I have a feeling the loss still bothers him and other Central staffers Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:42 pm

Was Calen that good of a player, I know him now through my brother in law, not in basketball circles, and he does not talk that much about his HS days. I was in college in Florida from 94-2000 so I do know much about that time period of NH high school basketball outside of Oyster River teams from 94-96. Went to School with a guy name Brad Taylor who was on those teams with Keith Friel.

I think all members of that Friel family are 1000 point scorers.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Feb 21, 2013 11:47 pm

Calen Paquette was a very good player at Central in his junior and senior years. He probably averaged around 10 points/game his junior year and probably closer to 15 pts/game his senior year. He was a slasher and could knock down a medium range jumper pretty well also.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Bobcat on Fri Feb 22, 2013 2:41 pm

There are 10 2000 point scorers in NH. Not sure the rankings or totals:
David Burrows- Nute
Matt Alosa- Pembroke
Matt Bonner- Concord
Scott Drapeau- MV
Keith Friel- Oyster River
Tim Lee- Farmington
Clevor Prince- Thayer