New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Football in 2013

4 posters

Go down

Football in 2013 Empty Football in 2013

Post  nhhssports Thu Jun 28, 2012 4:09 pm

Here's a look at the new divisions for 2013. Not sure why the NHIAA keeps hiding these things in the newsletter, especially something that every HS football fan wanted to have happen. Also, the way its worded, it doesn't clearly state how many teams make the playoffs in each division - four or eight. Gotta think eight, but wouldn't be surprised if it's just four.

http://www.nh-highschoolsports.com/nashua/football-divisions-for-2013-among-nhiaas-recent-changes

nhhssports
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Football in 2013 Empty Re: Football in 2013

Post  SeacoastDad Thu Jun 28, 2012 5:52 pm

I would interpret the wording "four conference winners in each division and a champion and runner-up in each division" to mean there would just be a semi-final and final in each of the three division, so only the conference champion makes the playoffs. But it is a bit unclear.

So, I guess what this accomplishes is: 3 champions instead of 6, and it establishes (or re-establishes) some local rivalries.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Thu Jun 28, 2012 10:38 pm

I like the conferences... although in D1 I'd probably swap Alvirne and Merrimack. Hudson has a more natural rivalry with Londonderry and Merrimack seems to consider BG more of a rival. In D2, the North conference is going to be very competitive and interesting. In D3, the South is a bit odd with Somersworth being a bit North of anyone in the West. Swap Brady and Somersworth and that'd better... Aren't the Raymond and Epping/Newmarket teams relatively new? To go with Farmington which is very close to Somersworth...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:53 am

SeacoastDad wrote:I would interpret the wording "four conference winners in each division and a champion and runner-up in each division" to mean there would just be a semi-final and final in each of the three division, so only the conference champion makes the playoffs. But it is a bit unclear.

So, I guess what this accomplishes is: 3 champions instead of 6, and it establishes (or re-establishes) some local rivalries.

I stand corrected. An article in today's Portsmouth Herald indicates that the top 2 teams in each conference will make the playoffs. So, each of the three divisions will have a quarterfinal, semifinal, and championship. Like the current setup, 24 teams will still make the playoffs. In theory, and all else being equal (and that's a big qualifier), this in effect lessens the chances of the former D-II, D-IV and D-VI teams winning a championship.

Here's the article:

http://www.seacoastonline.com/articles/20120810-SPORTS-208100411

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  bumper Sat Aug 18, 2012 4:06 pm

Portsmouth did not look very good against Trinity today. They did play a lot of different kids (four QBs) but very undisciplined. A large number of penalties and put the ball on the ground a few times.

They still have weapons and it will be interesting to see which one of the QB's gets the nod. All have good arms and threw the ball well. I would guess it will depend on who can handle the pressure better.

Defensively Trinity continues with a 3- 5 -3 aggressive front. Portsmouth handled the blitz pretty well but lacked the ability to drive the D off the ball.

Portsmouth played a vanilla D all day. The first d-line did a good job lead by Leonard and Holt. When Portsmouth played the backups against the Trinity 1's there was a large difference and Trinity popped off a couple of long gainers.

Trinity is solid with their starting group and will be fine unless the injury bug bites them. Look for Trinity to throw a bit more this year.

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down