New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets?

+11
JustinMcIsaac
NHSports11
nhbasketball
goldenbear
nhhoopsguy
rwvogeley
Jeremy Leveille
SeacoastDad
GNG
Tuesday and Friday
FreeLunch
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets? Empty D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets?

Post  FreeLunch Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:31 pm

All the parity in the league this year one would think there would be plenty of upsets in Round 1. My crystal ball says lots of chalk in round 1, but here's how the upsets can get done.

1/16 - Trinity vs. Exeter. The game plan versus Trinity has to be pressure, pressure, and more pressure in the backcourt. Teams that have been able to turn them over are the ones with the most success against them and they don't have a true PG. Even in the half court Exeter has to be all over their guards so entry passes aren't easily thrown to the big guys. The other key...Barr needs to shoot 90% of the time at the other end of the floor. Trinity wins by 20.

2/15 - Salem vs. Dover. I hear all the Slepian player of the year talk, but the key to shutting down Salem I think rests with Klecan. He's the one that orchestrates everything for them and I think I've heard McLaughlin praise him numerous times when the praise goes to Slepian. My game plan would be once Klecan gives up the ball over half court don't let him get it back. I know, I know....why not do that with Slepian, but it's just one guy's opinion. The other key vs. Salem is to have your second ball-handler bring the ball up over half court...Klecan wins those 1-1 battles all the time and once again that sets the tone. Salem wins by 30....great matchup for Salem.

3/14 - North vs. Londonderry. The only time I saw North this year was at Londonderry (won by 2 I believe but were shorthanded) so I can't give a great game plan. Knowing their athletes Londonderry has to try and slow down the game as much as possibly, execute on the offensive end and keep the game in the 40s. North by 15

4/13 - Central vs. Winny - Winny is the only tournament team I was unable to see this year. Central is a fairly balanced team and always knows for their defensive pressure. I'm not sure what Winny is running this year, but I know they've run some great half court and full court traps in the past to create turnovers that lead to easy offense. They need to pull the 1-3-1 half court and full court traps out of their back pocket and I think Central will turn the ball over for them. Central by 10.

5/12 - Pinkerton vs. Memorial- The most likely top seed to falter in round 1 in my opinion. Pinkerton allows teams to hang around too often in my opinion and get sloppy often. I've seen Memorial run an effective zone at times this year and I'd run it again Pinkerton and pack it in. Pinkerton doesn't have many shooters, it will slow the pace down and keep the game close throughout. In the end I just think Pinkerton has more horses than Memorial. Pinkerton by 5.

6/11- Spaulding vs. West- I was able to see Spaulding vs. Trinity and walked away extremely impressed with Spualding despite the loss. West I haven't seen since they've struggled mightily. The game plan for West....hope they play like they did in the QCIBT. Spaulding in a blowout.

7-10- Merrimack vs. BG- This game will be close for a while just because of the rivalry. In the end, Merrimack will be too much with Floras back running the show. The game plan for BG....make Floras work ALL game. I'm not sure of his game legs yet. However, BG doesn't seem willing to commit to the defensive end of the floor this year. I'd expect a high scoring game that will eventually lead to Merrimack pulling away in the 2nd half. Merrimack by 10.

8-9- Alvrine vs. South - If South wins I'd argue it's still chalk since this game is a toss up. Unfortunately I only saw South minus Muccioli vs. Pinkerton and that game could have gone either way. Since Alvirne is the higher seed...I'd say the game plan would be to be methodical offensively and execute sets which I think would frustrate Alvrine. A frustrated Alvirne is a bad Alvirne. Alvirne a very very good team when things are going their way. I guess I'm saying they have a bit of front runner in them. The edge goes to Alvirne just because it's in Alvirne. Alvirne by 8.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:51 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Putting the prelim info under 1 thread.)

FreeLunch
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets? Empty Re: D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets?

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 05, 2012 10:52 am

The D1 boys basketball bracket is officially up on the NHIAA web site.

Let the discussion for the big Tuesday night of games begin!!!

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:44 am

Top half of the bracket is where you want to be.

Bottom half is loaded.

For BG or Merrimack to win it all, this will probably be what they have to do.

First they have to play each other, which is far and away the best matchup of the the first round.OUCH

Winner of that game gets to play #2 SALEM in Salem. Klecan and Slepian on their home court. OUCH AGAIN

Somehow win that game and probably face Gauthier and #3 NORTH in the semi finals.TRIPLE OUCH.

Somehow win that game and play #1 TRINITY in the finals.

That my friends will be one tough road if the tourny stays chaulk.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:47 am

Yes, bottom of the bracket looks like a buzz saw, but if their are upsets.........

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Mon Mar 05, 2012 12:51 pm

Jeremy and Pete have a GREAT preview on NH NOTEBOOK

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:02 pm

Geez, I'm so old I had to go to the Urban Dictionary to get a definition of "chalk". I guess I don't need to use the term when my gambling is limited to the occasional Powerball ticket (but only when it gets over $100MM)! Smile

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:09 pm

Thanks GNG! For those who haven't seen it yet, Pete Tarrier and I previewed the boys D-I tournament last night at J.W. Hills. You can watch it here: http://www.nhnotebook.com/2012/03/division-i-boys-basketball-tournament.html

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:19 pm

I'll be sure to catch it, Jeremy. I'm sure it's good stuff.

Still haven't decided which prelim game I'm going to. I'd like to go to the BG at Merry game, as intensity will be off the charts in that natural rivalry game. Just don't know if I can make it there before it sells out.

Bert54: You seem to have your finger on the pulse of Merry boys basketball. If I knock on the Tomo gym doors will you let me in??? affraid

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets? Empty T@F .What about your contest?

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:50 am

I believe you said you were going to do one in the tournament. Shocked

I have my pics. As I am sure many forum members do. Just waiting for instructions. Shocked confused

Is it lunch at Durham on the day of the finals? confused

Is it 1 pt first round, 2 points 2 nd round, etc... No

I did the first round . The next rounds I am using the old pull the names out of the hat trick. Not as scientific as Seacoast dad's method, but I believe in this tourny just as effective. Laughing Laughing

Waiting. Razz

Still Waiting. Laughing Laughing

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:38 am

Lack of turn around time. The official bracket wasn't put up by NHIAA until yesterday morning. I was busy doing the child back to school thing which took up my day yesterday. Just plain lack of turn around time. Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad Sad

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:42 am

Your new nickname is TULLY. Very Happy Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:08 pm

BG-Merrimack.

Usual detail 2 cops.

Tonight 4 cops on detail. bom

If you think your walking up and getting a ticket 15 - 20 minutes before tapoff, you will not be seeing this game. Mad

I wonder who the ref's are. Basketball

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:30 pm

Also, don't forget to bring your wallet. It's that time of year, where the NHIAA admission fees kick in. Adults $5, students and seniors $3. Two bucks more when you get to Lundholm.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets? Empty I won't be surprised if Merri wins, but I won't be shocked if BG wins

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:01 pm

For BG to win the ball must be shared on BG's part. Lunn had a big 4th quarter when they started looking for him. No reason they can't do that the whole game.

Merrimack will take their fair share of threes. I say let them. Hope they aren't on, and control the boards. Then get out and run, run,run, and get the ball down low to Lunn,Lunn,Lunn. It will open up the 3's for BG later on.

Pressure Dimitri the length of the court, remember he has played in 1 game in the last month. Hope he tires out. Throw body after body at him. Alternate Holler, Chartrand, and Toscano. That's 15 fouls.

This is a game where the defensive pressure Boykins could provide will be missed. Watch Toscano though. He is a pest. Twisted Evil

I have a feeling Cooper Paul is going to have a big game tonight. He is much better then he showed his last time here.

The home court advantage won't faze the seniors. Kesty, Holler, Chartrand and Big Joe actually play better on the road in front of hostile crowds. They feed off of the negative energy.

I disagree with Jeremy and Pete when they say no seed lower then 7 can win this thing. No

This tourny is as WIDE OPEN as my mouth when I am shoveling a double cheeseburger in it. Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets? Empty Seacoastdad this is for you.

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:23 pm

Pulled out of a hat for the BG- Merrimack, and Alvirne- South game. Every other game I went chaulk.

BG, and ALVIRNE advanced.

Then went back to the hat. TRINITY and PINKERTON made up half of the final 4

Hat again. BG and SPAULDING.

Hat one more time . PINKERTON and SPAULDING finals.

Hat says PINKERTON state champs. Time will tell if the hats right.

Seacoast dad, Have you run any data to get a final 4 or state champ?

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:49 pm

GNG, are you a part time Merrimack cop?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's Prelim Games. Any Upsets? Empty GNG Scouting Report

Post  rwvogeley Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:59 pm

GNG,

I l;ike your game plan for the BG game. Keep rotating Toscano, Chartrand ande Cooper Paul on Dimitri. They can either body up or match his quickness. Keep Holler on Little Gendron. This way you have a non-tired shooter.
Keep giving the nball to Lunn, and hopefully Big Gendron is guarding him. Take ythe ball and get him in foul trouble. If he guards Kesty of McCarthy(and there are 19 palyers better than Him in nthe state), run him off every screen possible.
I would forget the flex offense and make it a war on the boards, ande then kick it outside for the threes.
Big advantage goes to Guertin based on depth. This is their opportunity to make up for a lack luster year.I thinkthis game will be closer than mos people think if BG comes to play.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopsguy Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:12 pm

My upsets in round one are Dover over Salem and Winny over Central.
In round two I have Trinity, Pinkerton, Merrimac. and North winning.
Finals Pinkerton and Merimac, with Merrimac winning it all.

nhhoopsguy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:14 pm

1/16 - Trinity vs. Exeter. Trinity

2/15 Salem vs. Dover. Salem

3/14 - North vs. Londonderry. North

4/13 - Central vs. Winny - Central

5/12 - Pinkerton vs. Memorial- Pinkerton

6/11- Spaulding vs. West- Spaulding

7-10- Merrimack vs. BG- Merrimack

8-9- Alvrine vs. South - SOuth

1v 9 Trinity beat South as Keefe blocks a shot at the buzzer, Which one is anyone guess

4 v 5 Pinkerton beats Central as Lights goes off for 25

2 v 7 Merrimack over Salem FLoras is the difference

3 v 6 North over Spaulding Red Raiders cant hold guards in check and Farmer gives Pardis fits

1 Trinty over 5 Pinkerton Trinity is just to big for the Astros

7 Merrimack over 3 North Genderon go off as North shoots to many three

7 Merrimack cuts down the nets and we all wonder how good Floras will be next year.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:46 pm

It's difficult to choose any of the top 6 being upset in the first round.

1-16 Trinity is just too strong for Exeter.
2-15 Dover was 0-10 against the top 10 seeds; no chance to upset Salem.
3-14 Londonderry did win their last 5 games, but they were against teams ranked 12, 16, 17, 18 and 19. No upset against North.
4-15 Winnacunnet limps into the playoffs, losing 8 of their last 9 games. Central rolls in this one.
5-12 Pinkerton is hot; Memorial is cold. PA wins this one.
6-11 Spaulding is better than their seeding; West is reeling, losing 6 of their last 8; I like the Red Raiders at home.
7-10 To stay on GNG's good side, I'll go with BG in the upset. Win or lose, I'll be looking for a colorful description of the game.
8-9 My top choice for an upset in the prelims is South over Alvirne. It's really just a mini upset, since their records were only one game apart. Although South went 10-8, all of their losses were by 7 points or less.

Best of luck to all teams.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  nhbasketball Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:14 pm

trinity-exeter... trinity rolls
salem-dover... dover gives them a good game but salem prevails
north-londonderry... gautheir is too strong for londonderry guards
central-winny... winny with the upset!
pinky-memorial... light goes off, pinkerton wins big
spaulding-west... west struggles, spaulding wins
merrimack-bg... flores and gendron have a big game, merry wins
alvrine-south.... alvrine wins but close game

nhbasketball
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:52 pm

"1v 9 Trinity beat South as Keefe blocks a shot at the buzzer,"
GBear

Is that buzzer block credited to Pat Keefe or Coach Keefe?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:56 pm

"Not for nothing" as a friend of mine says all the time.....There's so much information being relayed in cyber space and phone space this afternoon/evening that.......

............You can just feel the energy of the big night.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:54 pm

Holler is out with the flu.

Lund moves into starting lineup.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:22 pm

end of 1 bg 22 merri 17. fouls bg7 merri2

half merri34 bg 27.

look to the twitter feed on the right people are at games so i don't have to update.

Just noticed that.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next