New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY

+7
SeacoastDad
rwvogeley
GNG
Bert54the1
NHHoopsFan
tarrier
Tuesday and Friday
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Mar 04, 2012 11:58 am

It was very difficult making up the All State teams this season. There was so much parity in teams and there was so much parity in deciding on players for the AS teams. There isn't much difference between the some players on 1st and 2nd team. There isn't much difference between Honorable Mention and 2nd team. I had to think long and hard about some players I left out which I recognized in a separate category. I gave these players, coaches and POY a lot of thought.

1st Team All State:

Ben Slepian - Salem

Ryan Gauthier - North

Chris Light - Pinkerton

Tyler Gendron - Merrimack

Dominic Paradis - Spaulding

Troy Pelletier - Central

2nd Team All State:

Anthony Muccioli - South

Jonny Klecan - Salem

Carmen Giampetruzzi - Trinity

Aaron Martin - West

Gabe LaCount - Central

Honorable Mention All State: ( The first 5 I had to struggle back and forth with for 2nd Team and HM)

Alex Patrikis - Pinkerton

Tony Beaulieu - Alvirne

Javon Williams - North

Nick MacGregor - Spaulding

Mabor Gabriel - Trinity

Tyler Livingston - Alvirne

Eric Gendron - Merrimack

Jack Preston - South

Joe McCarthy - BG

Jeff Lunn - BG

Tough to leave out, but that's the way T & F's nice used TF-1000 game ball bounces:

Logan Kesty BG, Connor Noe Spaulding, Anthony Farmer North, Joe Dube Salem, Mike LeBlanc Dover, Christian Artiga Central, Zoubel Iradakunda Memorial and Ian Sistare Trinity.

Coach of the Year: Rob McLaughlin of Salem

Every body picked Salem to finish 9th to 12th in pre season. It became apparent early in the season Salem was going to be a tough game. They consistently brought it every game night and with a lot of players not too many HS fans knew about except in the Salem locker room. People keep talking about how Salem will feel the effects of losing talent to Windham High School. McLaughlin just works with what he has at his disposal and gets them to play as a TEAM. The other top 4 teams, Trinity, North and Central were EXPECTED to be where they are in the standings at the end of the regular season. When you look at Pinkerton and Spaulding, given what they had for talent at the start of the season, it makes sense where they finished at the end of the season also. Salem finished 6 to 10 seeds higher than any of the people in the know expected, including myself who picked them 9th in the pre season. Great job Coach Rob McLaughlin.

Player of the Year: Ben Slepian of Salem

Hands down one of the 2 best pure shooters in the NH this season. Teams threw every thing at him defensively and he consistently scored in bunches in big games. He is the biggest reason Salem went from a pre season 9 to 12 team to finish 2nd in this craziest of years. I gave serious thought to Ryan Gauthier, who was the best player in D1 in the month of February. It's the games Gauthier did not play in the month of January that made up my mind conclusively for POY. No POY candidate on Trinity? Absolutely not. Central? Not even in the mix for a POY. For me it was a horse race between Slepian and Gauthier the last 2 weeks of the season. In the end I went with the consistent body of work from December to March.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty T&F's All State and POY

Post  tarrier Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:56 pm

T&F, I think you did a really good job with your selections here. I know I have been outspoken in my support of Ryan Gauthier for POY, but I'll admit I am torn between him and Ben Slepian right now. I think Gauthier is the best all-around player in terms of "talent" in the league(and the state), but Slepian has had the better overall year so far. Obviously, Gauthier's suspension hurts him, but I'm not disqualifying him for it. I'm a believer that the POY discussion should include consideration of postseason performance. Let's hope both players' teams go deep into the tournament so we can see these kids handle the pressure of the big stage of postseason basketball. Think about it, if the seeds hold we'll be seeing a North/Salem semi at UNH. Wouldn't that be GREAT theatre?

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty Re: D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY

Post  NHHoopsFan Sun Mar 04, 2012 7:10 pm

My pick for POY would be Chris Light for the following reasons:

- Light was the most consistent scorer of the season with a 19.5 PPG average and 18 games played.
     - Gauthier passed him at the end of the season with 20.4 PPG but he only played 13 games (and yes, I do think it matters if a player missed games due to disciplinary suspension)
     - Slepian also played all 18 games but finished at #4 on the scoring list with 17 PPG behind Chris Light.

- It was no secret that Light rode the top of the scoring leaders list all season. All the teams knew this and could prepare in advance for how to contain him, but he still finished at the top.

- Light finished strong against tough competition. No one expected Pinkerton to close out the season the way they did with wins against Trinity, Merrimack, Alvirne and West. But they finished with a 5 game winning streak and Chris Light was a huge part of that... not the only part, but a huge part with his consistent scoring ability, tough defense, ability to draw fouls attacking the basket and perfection at the free throw line.
     - Contrast this with Salem/Slepian, who finished the season with a very nice win against BG where Slepian scored an impressive 32 pts, but also wins against the lowly Timberlane, Concord, and Keene (the bottom 3 teams in D1), and a loss to Trinity.

No doubt Slepian is a 1st Team selection, but I think Light edges him out for POY for his consistency over the entire season.

NHHoopsFan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty Re: D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 05, 2012 2:08 am

You make some very valid points for Chris Light for POY NHhoopsfan.

I talked to a few people at the JV tournament today at West, including 2 head coaches. The coaches admitted it was a really tough choice to make a vote for POY this year because of no clear cut favorite. The topic of Gauthier's games that he was suspended for was brought up in the discussion of POY.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty D1 Coach of the Year?

Post  Bert54the1 Mon Mar 05, 2012 1:47 pm

Spaulding's Tim Cronin.

No question Salem's Rob McLaughlin is worthy of some votes, but he does have Slepian, whom many people believe is the player of the year. He also has a top-notch Point guard and Klecan. That's two out of possibly the top 11 as Tuesday and Friday sees it. The only other coach to be blessed with two is Central with Pelletier and Lacount.

Cronin has Paradis, sure. But remember Spaulding has overcome some ridiculous early season road losses (and Tim kept working).

Spaulding should be the #4 seed based on the fact that they have beaten both Central and Pinkerton....go figure the stupidity of that. Points....a tie-breaker based on points. That would only make sense if everyone played everyone a home and home series.

In my effort to revamp the Points system I would eliminate any games versus the 3 cellar dwellers whose seasons are done. Eliminate any points received in beating them. Spaulding would be 4th based on that, as a tie-breaker, as well.

Cronin COY. Yes. Based on the fact that I haven't heard that he killed anyone at the NHIAA, based on his team losing the Points tie-breaker.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 05, 2012 11:49 pm

Bert, I agree with your opinion on the home/away points. I can't remember anybody who thinks it's a good idea to reward 1 more point for a road victory than a home victory. Every one thinks it's a bad idea. Spaulding received the short end of the stick with regards to this inane point system. How the NHIAA thinks this home/away point differential is fair is beyond me.

As far as Cronin for COY.....To be honest with you I had him as #2 behind McLaughlin. The tipping point for me was the fact Spaulding was seen as a pre season # 4 to #6 team and they finished 6th. I'm not saying Coach Cronin didn't do a good job of coaching because he did. I'm saying it's not surprising they finished 13-5 and in 6th. With the old system they finish 4th and that's still where a lot of people thought they would finish. I had Spaulding 5th in my pre season rankings. I had Salem 9th in my pre season rankings. I believe this was the highest ranking of any one in pre season for Salem. Other sites and people had Salem 10th to 12th in their pre season rankings. With Salem finishing 14 - 4 and #2 (7 to 10 places higher in the standings any body had them picked for in pre season) I think it reflects on their program and the person in charge of it, Coach McLaughlin.

Yes, Salem has Slepian and Klecan. Every one knew about Klecan at the start of the season, but who knew about Slepian? NOBODY. It's easy to say now Salem has 2 of the best 11 to 15 players in D1 in Slepian and Klecan. Back in December could you say the same thing? I don't think so. There are a lot of players who were potential POYs or 1st team pre season all staters who disappeared this year and didn't live up to their pre season potential. The Salem team, Slepian and Klecan appeared in a glowing way this season. Again, a reflection on the Salem program and the person at the head of it, Coach McLaughlin

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty I wonder if the coaches around the league

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 6:04 am

Think that there are 19 players better then Joe Mac in division 1 hoops. Shocked scratch

Led the team in scoring, and rebounds. Cool

The bigger the game, the better he plays. Basketball

Just wondering........ confused

My coach of the year is the LONDONDERRY COACH. sunny sunny

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty GNG Reply

Post  rwvogeley Tue Mar 06, 2012 8:13 am

GNG,
All the time that I spent on the final standings, and got a poor result. I feel like Dean Wermer just put me on double secret probation.
Isn't the NHIAA the same group that tried thisextra point deal for football and recinded it after a month because it didn't work???
We know they haven't put the shot clock in .....yet....maybe and it has been ten years since Mass has.If a coach is recruiting players, not having the shot clock is a major disadvantage for the coach to analyze the player and see how he would fit into his system.
I think the State teams were pretty accurate except I would take McCarthy and the player from Memorial and add Anthony Farmer becasue he isn't one dimensional. He plays the other teams scorer and rebounds. He also fills the lane on the break, and is fundamentally sound.
I would also add the guard from Exeter. If he gets some help they could be a nice team next year.
I like South tonight as their depth should winout, and my upset for the first round,BG.
If they just focus and play together I would not be suprised if the beat Merrimack.

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty I may not be the smartest person in the world, but

Post  GNG Tue Mar 06, 2012 9:59 am

If I ran the nhiaa I would be smart enough to throw out the current system. No long meetings, no drawn out discussions. It's terrible, end of story. Spaulding got hosed. They should be hosting 2 home games. Twisted Evil

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:02 am

GNG wrote: If I ran the nhiaa I would be smart enough to throw out the current system. No long meetings, no drawn out discussions. It's terrible, end of story. Spaulding got hosed. They should be hosting 2 home games. Twisted Evil

First, let me say that I will be rooting for Spaulding (along with the other "Seacoast" teams) in the tournament. Second, I agree that the extra point for an away win is a stupid system. If may have some merit in the lower divisions where the teams don't play each other exactly one time each.

There are a couple of schools of thought on whether Spaulding got "hosed" or not. Yes, they did win the head-to-head tiebreaker with Central and Pinkerton. But, if you subscribe to the "games in December count as much as games in February" theory, then Spaulding only has themselves to blame for early season losses to Concord and Londonderry. The records of the teams that Central, Pinkerton and Spaulding lost to are:

Central 51-34 (.600)
Pinkerton 59-26 (.694)
Spaulding 41-44 (.482)

So, Spaulding's losses to lesser quality teams came back to bite them.

Conversely, if you are "glass half full" type and look at quality of wins, then the result is just the opposite. Records of the teams that these three have beaten are:

Central 107-118 (.476)
Pinkerton 99-126 (.440)
Spaulding 117-108 (.520)

What does this all mean? Not sure. You can draw your own conclusions; just thought I'd throw some numbers out there.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac Tue Mar 06, 2012 11:09 am

Can one of the Mods please put "The Bill James of this joint" under Seacoast Dad's user name? I love it!! cheers

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

D1 Boy's All State Teams, Coach of the Year and POY Empty to Tuesday and Friday on COY

Post  Bert54the1 Tue Mar 06, 2012 3:08 pm

"Player of the Year: Ben Slepian of Salem

Hands down one of the 2 best pure shooters in the NH this season. Teams threw every thing at him defensively and he consistently scored in bunches in big games. He is the biggest reason Salem went from a pre season 9 to 12 team to finish 2nd in this craziest of years."

I agree with you. That's my point. Slepian has so much to do with Salem's success....I guess if Rob McLaughlin kept him on JV last year for the reason of keeping him hidden or so he could work with Slepian and develop the shot...then Rob is a genius.

Salem didn't win the JV tourney last year did they? Anyway.

I'm for Tim Cronin. He came within an eyelash of dumping BG last March in their second round match-up. How things would have be different if his son's 8-footer hadn't rolled off the rim. And this year they will be a dangerous 6th seed. Although anything that happens tonight or down the road for Spaulding will not count even if they beat West and North this week.

Bert54the1
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoopfan4 Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:01 pm

Have the all state teams been announced yet?

Hoopfan4
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:18 pm

I have not seen an official listing of the All State teams yet in a "regular" news outlet. I have heard what the All State teams are, but until a "regular" news outlet publishes the teams I'd rather not post.

Here's the POY list as published by the UL and NHN today:

NHBCO Player of the Year
Boys Division I - Tyler Gendron, Merrimack HS
Boys Division II - Kamahl Walker, Portsmouth HS
Boys Division III - Curtis Arsenault, Berlin HS
Boys Division IV - Marcus Swedberg, Moultonborough Academy

Girls Division I - Meghan Green, Bishop Guertin HS
Girls Division II - Jane White, Souhegan HS
Girls Division III - Rebecca Arnone, Campbell HS
Girls Division IV - Bethany Kalliel, Derryfield School

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Mar 19, 2012 2:25 pm

In previous years the POY, COY and AS Teams were announced at least by Monday. I've checked all the "regular" news outlets for these awards and I can't see a list any where today, including the NHBCO web site.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JustinMcIsaac Mon Mar 19, 2012 3:50 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:I have not seen an official listing of the All State teams yet in a "regular" news outlet. I have heard what the All State teams are, but until a "regular" news outlet publishes the teams I'd rather not post.

Here's the POY list as published by the UL and NHN today:

NHBCO Player of the Year
Boys Division I - Tyler Gendron, Merrimack HS

Granted, I didn't see a ton of D1, but I did see Merrimack 3 times- and this is a big surprise to me.

JustinMcIsaac
All-State
All-State

http://wtsnam1270.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:03 am

Surprise seemed to be the reaction to a few others I talked to today, Justin.

I think once people understand the POY determination process then you can see how a player is voted in for POY or how a surprise candidate can make it in.

A case could have certainly been made for:

Jonny Klecan
Chris Light
Ryan Gauthier
Anthony Muccioli
or
Ben Slepian

to receive the POY. Oh darn, I just released the 1st team all state that was announced at the NHBCO games yesterday at NHTI and before the "regular" news outlets release the information tomorrow.

My bad. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:07 am

If they announced it at the game yesterday there is no reason not to post it here.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:37 am

NHSportsPage has released their DIII and DIV postseason awards:

DIV - http://www.nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=816

DIII - http://www.nhsportspage.com/display_full_story.php?story_id=817
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:01 am

Dave Haley: Before you publish your D-2 all-state teams, you have one last chance to spell Kamahl Walker's name correctly Very Happy Very Happy . (Kamahl, not Kmahl) study study

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:18 am

Poor Dave Sad Sad Sad

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:21 am

I know, I should have mentioned it earlier in the season. Embarassed Embarassed

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:48 am

In his defense - its spelled right on their team page - http://www.nhsportspage.com/basketball/team.php?team_id=86&team_type=hs_bb

Boy, can you tell it's the bball offseason already? haha
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  HaleyNHsports Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:11 am

I think I have spelled Dimitri Floras's name 10 different ways too..oh well. It's correct in tomorrow all-state picks, I did double check though. Great kid, I'm sure he has forgiven me for it.

I touched on the Division I POY in my comments. I'm confused by Tyler Gendron winning that...I have him 2nd team. And no GNG I do not have Joe McCarthy in the first three teams..sorry.

HaleyNHsports
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Mar 20, 2012 11:13 am

So, now the words "surprised" by Justin and "confused" by Dave have been used in describing the selection of the D1 boy's POY for 2012.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next