New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

D-3 Playoffs

+3
boxout
qlak
SofaKing
7 posters

Go down

D-3 Playoffs Empty D-3 Playoffs

Post  Guest Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:18 pm

Figured I'd start something as there hasn't been much chatter about it, and it was the most wide open division. I couldn't get out to see any games because I had to work -_-. Not happy about that anyone get out to see any of the games? I saw the scores Bedford over H/B 21-20. Doesn't really shock me both very solid teams but was H/B healthy? Also PHS rolled G-town again, not saying this just because they beat them up last time but I really think that this was the toughest team for Gtown to match-up with and had they been able to avoid the Clippers they would've had a great shot at winning it all, but to get rolled up this time didn't expect that. With that said if you don't have any specific reason to watch another divisions Finals I would recommend getting over to Bedford next Saturday as that game should be a great one. Both match-up very well. Two Spread offenses who like to get there great athletes in space. Could be one of those games who ever has the ball last wins, also could be one of those games in which what ever defense makes the first stop wins, all I know is I'm looking forward to it (assuming I get can work off)

Back to top Go down

D-3 Playoffs Empty Re: D-3 Playoffs

Post  Guest Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:22 pm

Also I do believe I said on this site that H/B's downfall could be a lack of a place kicker may have not said it here but definitely recall saying it somewhere . Not talking about FG's just EP's. They missed there first EP and were forced to go for two on the 2nd in which they didn't get. (This is what I've heard so correct me if that's wrong) But I'm shocked HB doesn't do what some other schools do and just have a soccer player take over those duties, tough losing a game because of EP's.

Back to top Go down

Post  SofaKing Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:43 pm

bigman44 wrote:Also I do believe I said on this site that H/B's downfall could be a lack of a place kicker may have not said it here but definitely recall saying it somewhere . Not talking about FG's just EP's. They missed there first EP and were forced to go for two on the 2nd in which they didn't get. (This is what I've heard so correct me if that's wrong) But I'm shocked HB doesn't do what some other schools do and just have a soccer player take over those duties, tough losing a game because of EP's.

The kid who kicks for H/B IS a soccer player, and a very good one. He's just not as good of a football player.

H/B missed the 1st XP. Went for 2 on the second TD and got it. Went for 2 on the 3rd TD and failed (obviously had something to do with confidence in the kicker). Lost by 1. It was a GREAT football game. Both teams were dinged-up (HB still no 33, 66, or 10) and it was a very well played and well coached battle.

Sounds like Goff got obliterated by Portsmouth again. I'll be rooting for Bedford in the finals. I think they, like H/B have the heart and character that I'd like to see rewarded. Portsmouth has always just struck me as a bunch of whiners with no toughness, just tons of talent. I could be wrong...but I'd rather see the Bedford story play out.

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:56 pm

Sofaking I do believe you were at the Milford H/B game, was the kicker in that game the same all year? I know you saw more HB games than I and in NO WAY am I questioning the kids ability to play soccer or even kicking the football but in the Milford game the kicker for HB struggled to get the ball off the ground a few times and the times he did get it off the ground it was very wide a few times, snuck in 1 I think.

Back to top Go down

Post  qlak Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:27 pm

Sofaking,
I have started reading this forum in the last few weeks. I enjoy your input and invite you to learn a little bit more about the Portsmouth Clippers. To say that the kids are whiners I believe, is not fair. They've been to the Championship four straight years and I know they pour their hearts out. These kids work as hard as anyone else out there, the results show. I also believe they are one of the smallest D2 schools. There is no special formula to winning at this level, it is mostly hard work. How else is the end result a "bunch of talented kids" as you put it. They are where they are because they earned it. You insult many dedicated kids when you write things like what you did. They also read and enjoy this forum.

qlak
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  qlak Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:38 pm

typo...obviously I meant Division III not Division II.

qlak
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

D-3 Playoffs Empty qlak...

Post  boxout Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:27 am

Be happy Sofaking is bagging on PHS. He bags on teams and they end up winning all the time. So I always thought that Portsmouth was the cream of the crop this year in DIII. So now I will stick with them to win it all. Sofaking bagged on Souhegan for weeks on here, SHS proceeded to win 5 straight and blew out Bedford in the finale. You will be happy to know that if you go with the opposite of what SofaKing predicts, you will win.
He was disgusted with a player from Souhegan throwing his helmet. It was almost like he had never seen a HS football game. Little does he know it happens week in and week out.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:06 am

Ok boys. Let's show some maturity and watch that you don't cross over the line of constructive criticism into the dreaded territory of personal attacks.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:43 pm

Well didn't live up to what I thought it was going to be Portsmouth throttled Bedford 41-6. I was about half way to Stellos going to catch my first BG game of the year (first time I haven't at least seen 1 bg game in a while) and I decided to make my way to Bedford. I was late due to the fact I had to work but as I get ready to pull in I realize i'm likely only going to find parking in Goffstown place was packed. Some how lucked out and found a spot really close to the field. As I get there PHS put in a FG and I finally see the scoreboard and it's 20-0.

After asking around what happened I heard that it was a scoreless 1st quarter, Then mid-way through the 2nd quarter lane scored on what I was told was a fairly long run, I just found out it was 41 yrds. I then heard Bedford began to play sloppy turning the ball over had a punt blocked that either led to a score immediately or the score may have come on the block still no confirmation on that. Was also told there was a controversial play right before that, that would've never had that situation happen.(It was from a Bedford parent whom I don't know but seemed pretty straight forward so someone correct that if it's wrong) PHS proceeded to hit 2 FG's. Going into half up 20-0. I just read Bedford had -5 total yards in the first half. Read it on NHHSSPORTS twitter, I'm not sure if that's including sacks or not but that's crazy! The rest of what I post is what I got to see.

Bedford got the ball coming out of half. They go 3 and out in like 15-20 seconds you could've blinked and missed the drive. The Clippers received the punt and proceeded to move the ball down the field with ease, using every part of there speedy offense. They get inside the 10 with 4 shots to put the game away but Bedford came up with stand. Bedford took the ball from there and struggled on the first few plays as there was constant pressure on Capparel and no room to run what so ever. (PHS D-line and O-line were Outstanding) Capparel then was pressured heavy on 3rd down and moved around the pocket and found a reciever about 30 yrds down field. The drive then stalled. Both teams continued to go at it with no one scoring PHS moving the ball much better than Bedford though. Bedford got the ball back about half way through the third. And began to drive, on 3rd or maybe 4th down Caparell threw it up towards the endzone to Collins and he leaped up and pulled it down with 2 DB's right there nice catch and they score. Bedford goes for 2 gets stopped. Then in a odd decision (I thought at least) Bedford goes onside and doesn't get it giving the Clippers great field position. Portsmouth drove and struck with a Hartman pass to #22 unsure on the name. Bedford got the ball back in the 3rd with about 2mins got in a 4th and 5 spot at about the 40-45 and went QB power and were stuffed. I thought they should've went to the Air as it was the only thing working with some success not to mention they were down 27-6. PHS came out in the 4th quarter and on the first play of it they went back to #22 on speed sweep and he just outran everyone for about 40-45 yrds. At that point the game was done but Lane did punch in another. Congrats to Portsmouth on winning they finally got over the hump after losing 3 straight, they played outstanding when I was there. Bedford looked overmatched up front couldn't get the run game going as there were constantly people in the back field. Caparell deserves a lot of credit though kid kept dropping back and was consistently pressured and he stayed as poised as he could be and made some very nice plays for the struggling Bulldogs.

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sat Nov 19, 2011 6:59 pm

The -5 was including sacks btw. Got the rest of the stats for those interested. Clippers had 318 total yards 185 rushing 133 passing. Bedford had 161 total yards -63 yards rushing (inlcluding sacks) 231 Passing. Caparell was sacked 5 times for -49 it really hurt them anytime they got something going he'd get hit. But he threw for all 231 with a td. Collins had 7 receptions for 132 for the Bulldogs. Lane had 128 yards on the ground and 3tds Hartman threw for all 133 also had a TD passing.

Back to top Go down

Post  D3Fan84 Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:37 pm

The big play in the Bedford game came with Bedford down 7-0. Both defenses were controlling the game, although PHS looked more dominant, and PHS had just taken a 7-0 lead on a Lane TD run midway/late in the 2nd. Bedford is forced to punt inside their own 20 yard line, the returner signals for a fair catch, muffs it and Bedford recovers it around mid-field... but a ref had blown the whistle inadvertently so Bedford was forced to re-kick. I would guess he assumed the ball was going to be caught and didn't see it hit the ground.

After the inadvertent whistle, Bedford gets a high snap on the re-kick and PHS defenders force the punter to try to run, they force a turn over on downs and 2 plays later PHS scores. Next Bedford drive last two or three plays before a Lane INT leads to a FG. Next Bedford play is a fumbled snap that leads to another PHS FG and suddenly Bedford went from down 7 with the ball at mid-field to down 20 going into halftime. Bedford's offense totally collapsed for 6 minutes after they were on the wrong end of a bad call. Had they gotten a good punt and continued to play solid defense, it could have been 7-0 at the half and a totally different ball game if Bedford ties it at 7 instead of cutting into a 20 point lead when they score their first TD.

The biggest factor all game long was PHS Dline (in a good way) and Bedford's Oline (not in a good way). Capparel had no time on most throws and in a lot of cases guys were coming in with ease.

D3Fan84
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Crazy Carl Everett Sat Nov 19, 2011 11:06 pm

I agree with the recap above. The muffed punt was a total screw up by the officials. Have never seen them do a re-punt because one of them blew a whistle too early. Anytime I see prolonged discussions amongst the refs it is generally a sign of their incompetence. Bottom line, PHS blitzed the heck out of Bedford. Bedford QB is good, but his O line is not so good. Caparell showed a lot of heart, he just didn't have the supporting cast. I'm not a big Billy Lane fan, but he played some great d for PHS tonight and did enough on O to help the cause so I have to tip my cap to him. He usually takes himself out of a game four or five times.

Crazy Carl Everett
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  bumper Sun Nov 20, 2011 12:55 am

Crazy Carl,
I agree B Lane has taken himself out when the going gets tough but in the two biggest games of the year he came through in a big way.

The inadvertant whistle by the officials was an awful mistake. But with that said the Portsmouth D line and linebackers had their way with the Bedford line. Portsmouth came to play and physically took it to the bulldogs. I could count on one hand the number of times a Bedford offensive player was not punished if he was carrying or receiving the ball.
The only time Bedford moved the ball was when Portsmouth did not blitz. 17 and 20 seemed to walk in all day. If it were not for Capparal's athletic ability this game would have been even worse.

70 of Bedford's yards came in the final drive when Portsmouth had called off the dogs.

Bedford will be a playoff team in D2 next season.

bumper
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:25 am

bumper wrote:The only time Bedford moved the ball was when Portsmouth did not blitz..

Agreed the pressure from the Clippers was almost always from the front 4. The front 4 was absolutely tremendous for Portsmouth.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down