New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1

+2
bb603
GNG
6 posters

Go down

I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1 Empty I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1

Post  GNG Sat May 14, 2011 8:17 am

Keene, North, and Salem play 19 games everybody else plays 18. That is going to have a major impact on the seedings. Look at how screwed up this is, Merrimack is 10-3 if they win their remaining 5 games they finish 15-3 with 66 points. Salem is 10 - 4, if they win their remaining games they finish at 15-4 with 69 points. They will leapfrog Merrimack who would have the better record, but Salem would have more points and be placed ahead of them in the tourny.
North can lose more 2 games and still finish ahead of Merrimack with 68 points even though Merrimack has only 3 losses. The nhiaa was sleeping at the wheel {again} to allow this to happen

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1 Empty Re: I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1

Post  bb603 Sat May 14, 2011 11:56 am

The big flaw is that NHIAA does not require all D1 teams to play every other D1 team.

The second flaw is different points for a win at home as opposed to a win on the road. Bad idea and not needed if every team plays all the D1 teams.

D1 has 19 teams this year. There is no reason that every D1 team can not play every other D1 team.

For D1 standings only D1 games should count. Every D1 team would have 18 games count for D1 standings.

If Keene wants to play ConVal go ahead, but do it in addtion to the 18 D1 games.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1 Empty Re: I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1

Post  BJNashNo Sat May 14, 2011 5:24 pm

So, when Salem played Andover the game counted? That just doesn't make sense.

BJNashNo
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  nhball9 Sat May 14, 2011 9:04 pm

I agree with BJNashNo. The way I understand it the division 1 coaches are not in favor of this new system. It was put in place for the other 3 divisions, which would make sense with those. This is an old argument that isn't going to change anything. Is it "fair" that Alvirne plays Windham and it counts? No, but they are on the schedule. It stinks, but it is what it is.

nhball9
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1 Empty 18 D1 games to set the standings!

Post  bb603 Sat May 14, 2011 9:22 pm

The current rule is that all games on a team's schedule count in the standings regardless of the division the opponent is in.

A win at home for a D1 team against a D1 team gives a team 4 points, a win on the road for a D1 team against a D1 team gives a team 5 points. If a D1 team plays a D2 team the points are 3 for a home win and 4 for an away win.

Total points are divided by the number of games played to determine the standings.

This really makes no sense.

The solution is to have all D1 teams play a game against every other D1 team.

Every team plays 18 D1 games and the standings are based solely on the number of wins.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Sat May 14, 2011 9:43 pm

bb603,you are WRONG. A game on the road is 5 points, a game at home is 4 points. It doesn't matter what division the team you are playing is in. Does not matter at all. Those are the rules, and they suck.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1 Empty Add Alvirne to the list

Post  GNG Sun May 15, 2011 8:16 am

Yep 19 games. Alvirne is fighting to make the playoffs. They currently have 3 victories, including a 10 run rule win over division 2 Windham whose record is 1 win 10 losses. That victory counts as 5 points and could very well end up screwing some team trying to get that last seed. I just don't understand how the nhiaa can condone this. It really is not that diffucult, there are 19 teams in division 1, they all should play each other, If a Salem or North want to play a Mass team fine, but it shouldn't count in the standings.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1 Empty Sorry I didn't notice the the change after the 2010 basball season

Post  bb603 Sun May 15, 2011 12:22 pm

I recall the points being 3 and 4 for a D1 vs a D2 team in 2010.

NHIAA lists the following change as of 10-28-2010:

Division I Games Played Away Games Played at Home
Division I & II 5 4
Division III 4 3
Division IV 3 2
Division V & VI 2 1

Either way it does not make sense.

There is no reason for different points for home and away games and there in no reason all D1 teams shouldn't play every other D1 team.

bb603
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

I think I just spotted a major flaw in division 1 Empty How it should be in d1

Post  GNG Sun May 15, 2011 12:43 pm

You are 100% correct. It makes zero sense.
18 games against division one opponents should count in the standings.
No 5 points for away wins, no 4 points for home wins. Every game counts the same.
Any out of state game should not count in the division 1 standings.
Any out of division game should not count in the standings.

The nhiaa got smart and did away with this during football in division 2. What happened to baseball?

File this under home cooking- KEENE record is 7 wins 8 losses. Their record at home is 6 -1 , on the road is 1 -7. My advice to the Salem coach is pitch Poore when you go there.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Sun May 15, 2011 1:09 pm

If you note - there's a disclaimer on the NHIAA website when viewing the standings:

"NOTE: The following are not official NHIAA standings. They are only the accumulation of game results as reported by the athletic directors and coaches. "

To me that says - the program/software they have to display these standings wasn't programmed to follow their own internal processes and that they probably keep the "official standings" elsewhere. Within that they'd have to follow their own rules for points awards.

Strange thing #2 - for other sports I've followed in the standings (football, hockey, basketball, lacrosse) - an out of state game does not count in the standings. However, for baseball it does - why is that? Go take a look at the LAX standings the results for BG - you'll see they are listed as "SO" - Scheduled Only.

Beyond that - I've said it before in other places - this points system they developed is severely flawed and I hope would be a 1-year thing. The pilot 2 years ago was to use the HEAL system, my "guess" is that in order to implement in NH going forward, whomever invented that system wanted some money to license their formula. The NHIAA probably didn't want to fork over that and instead invented their own system which they forced down AD's throats. Of course they agreed with it - they wanted out of the boring meeting never thinking about the impact. What they should have done is "contract to" a local university's or college's to use youthful brainpower to come up with a formula that could take historical data to produce a system that would stand the test of time. Instead they probably sat around some conference table and had a whiteboard drawing and thought what they came up with was a great idea.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  fivehole Sun May 15, 2011 3:09 pm

The rules apply to every team. So any team can schedule any game they want. If there is a weak D1 school they can take advantage to playing D2 schools. It is the only way they can compete. Also does Souhegan want to travel to Kennett in Conway, or Kingswood for one game. So travel comes into play as well.

fivehole
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down