New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Rotary Classic Team Announced

+3
twolves
dhaley
EBlessNHSP
7 posters

Go down

Rotary Classic Team Announced Empty Rotary Classic Team Announced

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Apr 07, 2009 12:48 pm

This years head coach Sean Young of Wilton-Lyndeborough has announced the Seniors who will play for New Hampshire in the Rotary Classic vs. Vermont.

Last year Vermont won 75-66.

John Boyatsis of Dover
Josh Jones of Salem
Colby Verge of Pinkerton Academy
Jason Chevrefils of Manchester Memorial
Jamie Zajac of Bishop Guertin
Jon Grenier of Pembroke Academy
Nicco Demasco of Monadnock
Jasmine Handonvic of Milford
Sam Young of Kearsarge
Justin Hojlo of Pelham
Josh Poland of Mascoma
Matt Cloutier of Nute
Jordan Wheelock of Groveton
Curtis Williams of Newmarket

Thanks to Dave Haley at www.nhsportspage.com for breaking the story.

New Hampshire selects its team in March from 2009 graduates, will practice in late June and will take on Vermont at the University of Vermont in Burlington on July 11

Notable exclusions:

Will Bayliss - wouldn't you want the best playmaker in the state on this team? Zajac OR Verge over Bayliss is a stretch.
Anybody from Class M - I see Josh Poland there...
John Mulvey - A great player...sad to see him left off

I guess you can only take 12 and they have to be Seniors obviously. Maybe I am bitter b/c back in '98 I was told I was the 13th player selected for the Vermont North team (nobody dropped or couldn't make it so I was screwed). Oh well. Always an entertaining and high intensity game for both boys and girls.

For more info, check out the New Hampshire Basketball Coaches Organization - http://www.eteamz.com/nhbco/
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Rotary Classic Team Announced Empty Re: Rotary Classic Team Announced

Post  dhaley Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:13 pm

The two notable ommisions were Brady O'Neil from Laconia and Tony Brownell from Oyster River. Bayliss, Mike Kimball and several other top players did not try out. Its a well rounded team, better than last years squad.

dhaley
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:25 pm

Thanks Dave, I wondered if that was the case...Brownell is a glaring omission as well, missed that one. They should fair better against a Vermont team that as not as strong as last years (IMO).
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  twolves Wed Apr 08, 2009 9:44 pm

Class S seems to be well "represented". Can't believe Brownell isn't there. He defintely ahead of a few in that group.

twolves
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Rotary Classic Team Announced Empty selection process

Post  kevin brownell Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:39 pm

Thanks for the kind words about my son Tony. He really is OK with not being selected but a bit confused that the coach made the statement at the tryout "If you're not willing to run the floor and play defense then there's the door, you might as well leave now." That kind of defines the way he plays. I don't think seeing the team posted on the NH Sports Page is the best way for the kids who didn't make the team to find out about it. The kids all know each other and what happened over the weekend was some of the kids who made the team were texting or calling others who hadn't been notified one way or another, makes for an awkward situation. Having said that we certainly do wish the NH Team the best of luck and have had a lot of fun the last few years watching the kids progress through AAU then high school as well as meeting lots of great parents along the way. Good luck to all who continue to play in prep and college.

kevin brownell
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:58 am

The general consensus from people I've talked to is Tony should have made it. Unfortunately not every player can make the team. Is he planning to play basketball at the next level?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  kevin brownell Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:26 am

Thanks administrator. Tony is going to Ithaca College but not planning on trying to play.

kevin brownell
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Sun Apr 12, 2009 7:05 pm

Ithaca is D-III, I would think Tony Brownell could make the team, or at least try out for it. He can play both guard positions, and the current team at Ithaca isn't very big, so it's not like being 6'0" will put him at that much of a disadvantage.

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  nhbballfan Fri Apr 24, 2009 7:36 pm

I do like the team especially handanovic, demasco , cheverfils, jones and hojlo. however, i would have liked to seen will bayliss, john mulvey, and tony brownell make the team. it just seems like coach young showed bias towards the smaller schools by selecting williams, cloutier, poland and wheelock i'm not trying to take anything away from any of those kids or say that the bigger schools are the most dominate but it just seems like there was some very good talent left off the team.

nhbballfan
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  twolves Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:00 pm

Wheelock and Poland were automatic selections as POY in there classes (Poland was runner-up but top senior). Williams belongs, Cloutier is iffy. The problem is with the S coaches voting Wheelock....and not Williams POY. Then Curtis would have gotten the autobid(and he deserves to be there) and Wheelock would not be taking a more deserving players spot....Brownell maybe.

twolves
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  darkhorse Tue Apr 28, 2009 4:18 pm

George Tsougranis another one who did not try out but is certainly strong enough to play on this team. He may be a little undersized at 6' 3" to play small forward against the better Tilton Prep foes but he plays much bigger than his size and is fearless. NH has a really talented group of high school boys playing now, many with length and diverse skills, and they are proving in the major regional AAU tournaments this spring that they can compete with the best in the Northeast.

darkhorse
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down