New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Unfair D1 Girl's Schedule in 2013/2014

5 posters

Go down

Unfair D1 Girl's Schedule in 2013/2014 Empty Unfair D1 Girl's Schedule in 2013/2014

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:47 pm

There is an interesting scheduling situation in girl’s D1 this season. It has recently been brought up by some fans of some teams. There are 19 teams in girls’ D1. You would think with an 18 game schedule it would be a NO BRAINER for every team to play every team once in a balanced schedule. Unfortunately, this is not the case. The following double scheduled games either have or will take place in D1 girls:

Londonderry plays Pinkerton twice.

BG plays North twice.

Concord plays Spaulding twice and Timberlane twice.

As of this writing Pinkerton and Londonderry are tied for 2nd. North is in 4th and BG is in 5th. Spaulding is tied for 12th. Concord is tied for 17th and Timberlane is in 19th.

There is a distinct possibility final seeding’s and home playoff games will be determined by this scheduling situation. Between Londonderry, Pinkerton, BG and North one if not all of these team’s possible Top 4 seeding will be affected by this situation. If one of these teams finishes 5th and goes on the road for a quarterfinal instead of hosting a quarterfinal……… I believe the whispers from that team’s parents and fans will grow louder as to why a balanced schedule wasn’t played. If Spaulding receives a #8 seed instead of a #9 seed because they played Concord twice, you can be sure the #9 team will squawk about having to make a long bus ride to Spaulding for the prelim game instead of playing in the comforts of their own gym. You can go on and on about the inequities of some teams playing other teams twice while most play a balanced schedule.

In case you’re wondering what happened last year, there was the exact same teams last season and they all played a balanced schedule. No controversy at the end of the season for seeding’s or any issues similar. This was the 2nd year of a two year cycle. Something changed between the end of last season and the start of this one. Some schools decided to play an unbalanced schedule. NHIAA is not at fault here. I know they have taken their share of criticism on this site in the past, but this is one time where they bear zero brunt of this scheduling situation for D1 girls in the 2013/2014 season.

I hope when the final seeding’s come out for D1 girls that no war drums of complaints are made to the Forum. If they are they will be well deserved.

19 teams and 18 games: A NO BRAINER to do a balanced schedule for all 19 teams.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Unfair D1 Girl's Schedule in 2013/2014 Empty Unfair D1 SCHEDULE GIRLS

Post  3buoyshoops Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:58 am

Think we have an instance on the boy's D1 side as well, Edge can you help me out here, Londonderry and Pinky played other night and on the NHIAA Page are scheduled again on the 11th, on both teams schedule........Error? or not?

3buoyshoops
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Unfair D1 Girl's Schedule in 2013/2014 Empty Re: Unfair D1 Girl's Schedule in 2013/2014

Post  The Edge Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:03 am

Absolutely correct. 2 PA vs. Londonderry. NO Londonderry vs. Merrimack or Timberlane

The Edge
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  3buoyshoops Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:08 am

Thank you fine sir, Now i've seen everything over there at NHIAA, in my 20 + years of following NH hoops I can not remember a schedule so MESSED UP !!!!! FOR LACK OF A BETTER TERM!!!

3buoyshoops
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Unfair D1 Girl's Schedule in 2013/2014 Empty Re: Unfair D1 Girl's Schedule in 2013/2014

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Feb 03, 2014 12:29 pm

Not so fast 3B. The schedules and scheduling games are handled by the ADs. The NHIAA just says you will play 18 regular season games. They won't let you play against Mass, Maine or VT teams during the regular season, but if a school decides to play some team twice and not another school or two, then that is either a singular decision by a school's AD or perhaps a joint decision amongst an AD, coach or principal.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:48 pm

Copying my post from December regarding the D1 boys' schedule:

Interesting.  In addition to Concord and Timberlane playing each other twice, Pinkerton and Londonderry also play each other twice (according to the schedule).  This is a departure from recent years' scheduling.  Here are the D-1 teams that are NOT playing each other in the regular season:

Alvirne -- Dover
Bedford -- Exeter
Bishop Guertin -- Manchester Central
Concord -- Pinkerton
Concord -- Salem
Dover -- Alvirne
Exeter -- Bedford
Keene -- Nashua North
Londonderry -- Merrimack
Londonderry -- Timberlane
Manchester Central -- Bishop Guertin
Manchester Memorial -- Nashua South
Manchester West -- Spaulding
Merrimack -- Londonderry
Nashua North -- Keene
Nashua South -- Manchester Memorial
Pinkerton -- Trinity
Pinkerton -- Concord
Salem -- Concord
Spaulding -- Manchester West
Timberlane -- Londonderry
Timberlane -- Winnacunnet
Trinity -- Pinkerton
Winnacunnet -- Timberlane

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  3buoyshoops Mon Feb 03, 2014 2:59 pm

I get the everybody doesn't play someone because of addition of Bedford, But not playing two teams or teams playing each other twice?????? really? D1 ball here guy's it's bringing back to my rec. day's reguardless of who's doing it. 7 day off stretches and longer, back 2 backs with travel, 4 games in 7 nights, teams playing each other again in a little over a week, ect. ect. ect. and the girls side equally disturbing. I have not seen this in 20 + of following Nh hoop's that's all i'm saying...........................................................

3buoyshoops
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Feb 03, 2014 3:09 pm

Wait until the 5th, 9th or 17th place girls' team is affected by the non-balanced schedule issue in D1 Girls.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  dadncoach Mon Feb 03, 2014 5:36 pm

If the ADs are responsible for the scheduling, then any griping should be directed at them, not NHIAA. It did surprise me that the league doesn't manage the schedule making.

dadncoach
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down