New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8

+2
Tulliver
goldenbear
6 posters

Go down

Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8 Empty Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8

Post  goldenbear Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:31 am

Plus you get to see Refs try and get their patch.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8 Empty Re: Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8

Post  goldenbear Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:57 pm

They have had freshman tournament for Central for years and actually a lot of programs Freshman teams are as good as the JV team. They want to keep the kids together and play them at the Freshman level.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8 Empty Re: Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8

Post  Tulliver Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:11 pm

Also it isn't taxpayer money....it is through fundraising.
besides it is a pretty good way for teenage boys to spend a Saturday afternoon.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8 Empty Steve Cuipa,Mike Kelly,Matt Preskinas,Trevor Wenners,and Kyle Remillard

Post  GNG Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:35 pm

are all seniors on bg's hoop team who played freshman ball.They won the tourny as freshman.I thought it was a great tourny.My neighbor Brian Tenhave {centrals freshman coach} is running the thing.If you go tell him I said Hi.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Feb 12, 2011 4:46 pm

BTW - I just came back from the girl's freshman tournament at Pinkerton. I saw some talented freshman girl ball players there. I'm glad these girls have a program to continue their basketball careers instead of being cut from a JV team or receiving sparse minutes on a JV team as a freshman.

FYI - I saw at least 6 teams there and the best one was Winny. They came out with a stifling full court press and had a fast purpose to their offense. The hits keep on rolling for the Lady Warriors.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  NHRamFan Sat Feb 12, 2011 5:52 pm

Tuesday and Friday wrote:BTW - I just came back from the girl's freshman tournament at Pinkerton. I saw some talented freshman girl ball players there. I'm glad these girls have a program to continue their basketball careers instead of being cut from a JV team or receiving sparse minutes on a JV team as a freshman.

FYI - I saw at least 6 teams there and the best one was Winny. They came out with a stifling full court press and had a fast purpose to their offense. The hits keep on rolling for the Lady Warriors.

Using boxout's logic, there should be no playoffs as well. Waste of money! LOL The Frosh and JV tourneys give the kids a chance to experience a playoff atmosphere. I, too, was at Pinkerton today. The kids all played hard, and had fun.

By the way, Winnacunnet lost to Bishop Guertin in the semis. Pinkerton defeated BG in the finals; Winnacunnet defeated Alvirne for third place.

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:15 pm

They pay for janitorial fees and buses...,fact

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:28 pm

I saw three games today at Central

South beat Londonderry

Exeter over Dover

North over Timberlane

North as a pretty good team. Bittle and Robinson are both pretty good player and should make a run for Varsity next year

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:24 pm

Chikid I understand your point, however boxout seemed to indicate concern that this tournament was causing taxpayers a burden and I know for a fact the tourney is self funded. Also,the food sold that day is largely subsidized thru donations from vendors and helps subsidize programs.
For larger schools who can support frosh programs they do give more kids opportunities to become positively involved in their schools. Studies show lids like this stay in school longer. I do not personally think it is a negative to our school and city. In fact, I am pretty proud of it.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  middleschoolball Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:38 pm

I know for a fact that the Central Freshmen tourney was going on the early 90's.

middleschoolball
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Sat Feb 12, 2011 8:13 pm

Coach Mike Wenners was the one who started and developed the tournament.... and the funding is honestly ENTIRELY separate from the athletic budget.
Usually parents do a lot more work at it, but this year they had difficulty finding parents so a lot of teachers stepped up and DONATED time...

Now teachers and school employees are often paid to sell tickets at varsity games... or for security etc... especially at NHIAA tournaments.

HOWEVER, I want to be clear... EVERY person working Central's freshman tourney today AND every time it has been held have DONATED their time and were NOT compensated except for a heartfelt THANK YOU from the AD.

Tournament started in 1992 by Coach Mike Wenners (now Varsity Girls Coach) with only 8 teams participating. Three years later the teams doubled to 16.

Last edited by Tulliver on Sun Feb 13, 2011 1:38 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Wrong attribution to Coaching Mind who started the tournament)

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8 Empty Please limit discussions to this tourney for this thread

Post  Tulliver Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:34 pm

There is a separate thread for athletic funding discussions.

Thank you!

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:10 pm

South won and is playing Winny today at 500

Exeter beat North and will play who ever won between Pinkerton and Central. I left after the first quarter and Pinkerton Freshman was scary good.

a 6-5 Center named Harris and PF about 6-3 named Coombs, along with Manny lattimore who started for the Football team. There were a few others well over 6 feet.

Pinkerton is going to be real good in two years

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:18 pm

Pinkerton must have won because I am under the impression Central lost.

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8 Empty JV Girls Tournament

Post  NHRamFan Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:29 pm

Central also hosts/runs the Girls JV tournament; it's a well run event with only 8 teams....again, kudos to Coach Wenners.

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:59 pm

Ram Fan, are the 8 teams that play in that tournament seeded based on regular season records?

I know the boy's JV Tournament at West seeds their teams based on records. I think they do 16 teams there or the top 3 to 4 get a bye while the other 16 playoff.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Freshman Tourney today at Central starts at 8 Empty Girls JV Tournament

Post  NHRamFan Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:24 pm

Yes, they do. I believe coaches report their records as of the end of this week for seeding purposes.

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:43 pm

Freshman team had 18 seeds this year 1-18 with two play in game 15-18 and 16 17

two games were held at Memorial to make room for those teams

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:24 pm

South beat Winny by 2

Exeter beat Pinkerton

South verse Exeter Wednesday night at 630

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Wed Feb 16, 2011 11:33 pm

South won by 3 over Exeter

the youngest Holder missed half court shot to tie at the buzzer

down 4 with a minute left he hit a three to make hit one point

then with less than ten second left down 4 he almost made a three but was fouled and hit all three ft to cut it to one

Guzman for South kept on hitting ft to give South what was needed for the win. He must have had 25 -30 points for South

Troy Bowen is the Freshman coach for South and did a great job

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down