New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Refereeing and why I just do not get it

3 posters

Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Refereeing and why I just do not get it

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:57 pm

Over the weekend I seen many AAU games in Providence and seen many bad calls and many great calls. There is still one call I need help with. The forearm across the stomach or hip area. This seems to be a East Coast thing because I know the game is called so much closer and this hand checking is called where I am from. So can someone please tell me it seems that this hand check or forearm is not a foul? Please?

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Its a college and nba thing to.

Post  basketballtime Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:29 pm

You see more and more moving screens and hand to hand combat today in basketball in aau college and the nba and i think its here to stay. And so my advice match it with your own if it's allowed. How are the NH kids doing so far this season in aau?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Why so Different?

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Mon Apr 26, 2010 5:21 pm

I guess that is what I do not understand. Why are the leagues above emphasizing the rule of hand checking and displacing a player and yet the local AAU and high school refs calling the game so different?
Mass Rivals and Jayhawks both had nice showing in the Providence Jamfest. Both won their pools with the Jayhawks getting a nice win over the NE Playaz that is a nationally ranked club. Their roster is full of D1 players and reclassified Prep players. So far the season is going well.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Good point.

Post  basketballtime Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:21 pm

Not to sure why but i guess it will just get worse before it gets better. What kids are playing for the jayhawks and the rivals and who is getting the most playing time?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Re: Refereeing and why I just do not get it

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:27 am

Referees, and rules vary from state to state, and level to level. Its just that simple. I mean how many travels did Paul Peirce have in last nights win vs. the Heat? I saw at lest 4 that weren't called. He stutter-steps before he dribbles all the time. Obviously the NBA is called differently, but my point is you're getting a different breed of ref in a different game environment from HS ball to AAU.

Not saying it's right...just the way it is. HoosierDaddy do we know you from some other forum or something? lol...
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Actually

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Wed Apr 28, 2010 5:03 pm

Actually that is why it is strange. The ref's seem to call a different game even when they are the same guys. Maybe someone can just answer this for me.
Is the arm across the body of a player who is dribbling the basketball a foul if it slows his progression?

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Anyone know?

Post  basketballtime Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:23 am

Does anyone know how the NH boys from the jayhawks and rivals are doing so far? And where is a good place to read up on them?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Rivals and Jayhawks

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:14 am

Well both teams have websites now. Results of their games should be posted on the sites.

www.rivalsbasketballclub.com

www.granitestatejayhawks.com

I do have a little information on the teams.

Jayhawks have played in three tourneys so far. They are I think 9-3 with a bad loss over a Mass Premiere team and a nice win over the NE Playaz.

Both teams played last week in Providence Jamfest and both teams won their pool and got a bye in the first round. Jayhawks lost to a team from Queens in a heartbreaker by 1 point.

Rivals won their first elimination game and then faced the Westchester Hawks a real strong team from NYC and lost with some guys missing from both teams. I do not have much else but I do know both teams are top teams in New England and on a given night can compete with the best in the country.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Re: Refereeing and why I just do not get it

Post  basketballtime Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:40 am

Thanks for the info Hoosierdaddy. Do you happen to know anything about who the kids are on each perspective team and how well they do against top notch players from around the other states? If so who have you seen and who are some of the kids that impress you from both teams?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty From what I have seen

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Fri Apr 30, 2010 12:15 pm

Well I would have to speak more about the Jayhawks than the Rivals since I have seen every game of the Jayhawks but only pieces of games for the Rivals.

Jayhawks have gotten some good performances from several guys. Green, McClung and Bramante have been the scorers. O'Loughlin has played well also on both ends of the floor. O'Connor and Wickey are playing well also although neither is putting up big numbers. Team is deep but I think the coach is still searching for the right second team and right blend of players.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Thanks for the update

Post  basketballtime Fri Apr 30, 2010 1:12 pm

I wish i could catch some of these games when do both teams play next?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Jayhawks are at the Rac this weekend

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:08 pm

Jayhawks play this weekend at 620 Saturday,10:10 Sunday and then later based on results of those games. Not sure when and where you will be able to see the Rivals.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Great i think i can sneak out.

Post  basketballtime Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:31 pm

Does you know if that new kid bramatti sorry about the spelling is a prep kid I'M not to sure i know him?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty Nope

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:38 pm

No he is a Andover kid. Not sure of his age but he does not go to Prep school.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  basketballtime Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:53 pm

It seems like a lot of Mass kids go prep why is that in your opinion.

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty I do not know if the balance of Mass kids go prep

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:52 pm

I am not sure what the numbers are as a whole. I wouldn't know why the numbers are different if they are. I know for many of the local kids that I know some parents cannot justify spending the 40k to play prep and hope that you get a scholarship. Most parents would rather just see if the kids get recruited and get the best education they can after high school. I know with financial aid paying for some kids that are in need of assistance can make it a easier choice to make to go prep. I mean if your getting it paid for or even some assistance it is less of a risk and the rewards of prep school and another year of maturity would help most kids.
So I am sure if you are not eligible for assistance risking 40k on the extra year and then still having to pay your way to college is a risky venture.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty NH prep kids

Post  basketballtime Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:09 pm

Some NH kids have gone prep lately what's your thought on the ones that gone prep vs right into college and would you ever consider your kid for prep or anyone else on the jayhawks roster?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Refereeing and why I just do not get it Empty From what I have heard.

Post  Hoosierdaddy33 Fri Apr 30, 2010 10:04 pm

I really dont know the entire situation for any of them and it would be hard for me to judge the situation from the outside. I know Bayless and Stoyle who went to Tilton played nice minutes and both are going to college next year but I really do not know the financials or anything so I cannot really judge it fairly. I also do not know what their grades were after graduation.

My son will most likely need to prep to have strong enough academics to play at the next level. He is also only 16 and will graduate at 17 so another year of academics would make him more prepared for college. WHile he is getting some college interest many of the schools have high academic standards that he may fall short of without a year of prep school. I know he will most likely still play D3 but I wouldnt mind paying the money for him to be more prepared entering a good school.

I know other players on the Jayhawks that are debating on the Prep school route but I do not feel it is something I should be discussing.

Hoosierdaddy33
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down