New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Who do you like this year?

+3
BoscoD39
tiger46
OntheBlock
7 posters

Go down

Who do you like this year? Empty Who do you like this year?

Post  tiger46 Fri Dec 04, 2015 1:21 pm

Without the drama of last year this message board has been remarkably quiet. Now that Football season is officially over I think it’s time to turn our attention to the upcoming hoop season and get some good discussion going.
Who do you think will be a surprise this year?
D1
Last year’s D1 champion Londonderry lost 3 of their 4 top players and will be really young this year. Not sure they have the horses to repeat.
Runner-up Pinkerton University lost arguably their best player to prep but, should still be loaded to make another run.
Central and Memorial both look like they could compete for a championship.
Could North be that surprise team in 2016? Not likely but, I would have said that last year as well.
D2
Last year’s D2 champion Brady is a lot like Londonderry, they lost their best two players who they relied heavily on. They have Joe Bell back but, with the strength in D2 this year, it will be tough for them to get back to the ship.
Portsmouth, Lebanon, and West (even losing Motu to prep) are loaded! In my opinion, these teams could play with anyone in D1.
The 4th spot at UNH is wide open. One could make a case for any one of six different teams that could have a shot.
D3
Last year’s D3 champion Pelham lost a great player to graduation but return the best player in the state not playing prep. In D3 that is a game-changer. Add to that a solid supporting cast and I don’t see Pelham losing a game again this year.
Runner-up Conant just reloads every year (9 final appearances in the last 11 years) baring an upset – it looks to me like a rematch.
Campbell has given these two a run recently but, they don’t look quite as strong as in the past few years.
Kearsarge will be big but, can they run with the top teams?
D4
Wilton-Lyndeborough is coming off a magical season and is returning a strong team but, I’m not sure how they replace Jordan Litts.
Runner-up Epping looks to be strong again. They should be there in the end.
Sunapee is always tough but, loses half of their dynamic duo to prep school this year. Do they have enough to get back to Plymouth?
Did Portsmouth-Christian add enough talent with the transfer of Kylani LaFleur to get to Plymouth.

Just my thoughts, feel free to call me an idiot.

tiger46
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  tiger46 Thu Dec 10, 2015 4:52 pm

Clancy, Thanks for responding. I enjoy your posts as you always have a lot of good insight. It's also interesting to hear view points that are different than my own. Former Falcon is usually good for those Very Happy
I see you are holding judgment until after the Coaches for a cause games but, the Londonderry v Lebanon game was the only lower division team that I thought would definitely beat their D1 opponent. That is a really tough match-up for Londonderry.
I guess well see how things shake out on Saturday.

tiger46
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Who do you like this year? Empty Re: Who do you like this year?

Post  NH12345 Fri Dec 11, 2015 12:43 pm

With all due respect to the major piece that Londonderry lost last year, they were extremely talented ball players, but Coach Stanton still has, in my opinion, the front runner for Division 1 player of the year in Jake Coleman. When crunch time came last season Coleman was the one providing the big offense, with floaters in the paint and NBA range 3's. Londonderry will be as good as Jake Coleman this season, and I predict that will be very good.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  CoachP Fri Dec 11, 2015 4:20 pm

After watching some fall leagues and workouts I believe the top 4 in Division I could be tighter than what most are expecting. Londonderry in fall league was not the same team as last season. Had difficulty down in Andover this fall. Exeter and Nashua each have a knock down shooters in Holmes and Frechette but not much of a supporting staff. Pinkerton Geo has replaced Geo, while certainly not at the same level that will help them> they return Rizzo and Morris who is much bigger stronger and now has an all-around game. I think he will be top player of the year candidate after watching the scrimmages. However, I am hoping that Trinity will be in the running with the return of Walsh and Trickett and newcomer Jordan Santos with have an immediate impact.

CoachP
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  OntheBlock Fri Dec 11, 2015 6:34 pm

With all respect to Jake Coleman, Londonderry is going to struggle to break top 8 this year. He can't do it himself, and the remaining cast of Radford, Gaw, McDonald, and the younger Corey don't have enough experience/firepower.
Top 4 D1 teams are Central, Memorial, Pinkerton and North in no particular order. Outside of that foursome, Bedford, Merrimack and Trinity all have game, and will be strong competitors.
Watch for Central's Jaylen Leroy to be 1st team All State. And any of Pinkerton's big Seniors ( Rizzo 6'3", Morris 6'4", Olson 6'6", or Romick 6'4") know how to play the game and could throw in 20 on a given night.
Going to be a fun Season!

OntheBlock
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Sun Dec 13, 2015 2:14 am

Londonderry looked better than Merrimack tonight. Merrimack no go to guy (that I saw). Londonderry battled, Coleman hit some really tough shots. Struggled to defend Lebanon guards. Not a big difference between Londonderry Manchester West Merrimack and Trinity.

The two best teams today were from d2

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:21 pm

T&F, you know who I like to be the surprise team of D2! Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon Dec 14, 2015 1:50 pm

Well, my good friend Bosco I love you , I just reviewed last season's regular season standings for D2 and here are the 4 teams that didn't qualify for the playoffs:

Plymouth, Timberlane, John Stark and Kingswood.

So, I'm going to venture a guess and say your surprise team in D2 for this upcoming season will be, in no particular order:

1) John Stark? Twisted Evil
2) Plymouth? Twisted Evil
3) Kingswood? Twisted Evil

How did I do Bosco? Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Wink Wink Twisted Evil Wink Wink Evil or Very Mad Wink Wink Twisted Evil bounce bounce bounce

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  NH12345 Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:28 pm

Jake Coleman is the real deal. . . no reason to really argue it, he will prove it on the court this season.

Coach Stanton was revered for what he did in turning around Londonderry's program. Well, this is the first year he is playing without house money, his entire team has only played for him and no other coaches. I think he and Londonderry will finish top 4 and show the great job he has done.

Bosco. . . I am going to guess Timby is on the top of your list for D2.

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  tiger46 Mon Dec 14, 2015 3:38 pm

NH12345,
I have to agree with you. Jake Colman is the real deal but, so are KJ Matte and Keith Brown. KJ essentially matched Jake's scoring while directing the Lebanon offense from the point for the head to head win. All Keith did was drop 41 on an athletic Central defense that was ready and waiting for him. These 3 will have to be in the group of favorites for Player of the Year.

Coach Stanton is doing a fantastic job with this team. I was on record that Lebanon would definitely win, but it was a lot closer than I though. I fully expected Jake to have a major impact but, was really surprised by the rest of the team.
If this tournament is any indication, Londonderry could very well make a run to UNH in what appears to be a down year in D1.

tiger46
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  BoscoD39 Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:16 am

Just saying. Jason Hughes. Just saying.

BoscoD39
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  NH12345 Tue Dec 15, 2015 1:17 pm

Tiger,
   I think you just listed the front runners for player of the year in each division

D1- Jake Coleman- Londonderry
D2- KJ Matte- Lebanon. . . Sorry Bosco, I agree that Hughes is a stud, but Matte is the front runner in my opinion
D3- Keith Brown-Pelham

A lot of good games Friday. . . where is everyone heading?  I am trying to decide between Londonderry v. Bedford and Pinkerton v. South

NH12345
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  CoachP Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:18 pm

My picks for Player of the Year

Division 1 - Although I would love to pick Connor Walsh - After watching scrimmages it will be Brennan Morris of Pinkerton - I was surprised how much he improved from last year. Jake Coleman will be 2nd. After watching the fall league games I I do not see Londonderry winning back to back. The top of Division I could be anyone's guess. Some of these teams seem to have one go to player this year which could cause the preseason standings to take a hit - one player out due to illness or injury and its a whole new ball game.

Division II - KJ Matte - Lebanon. Others have talked about Joseph Bell of Bishop Brady , I have not seen him play recently to give him the nod.

Division III - Keith Brown A lot of talk even before the season starts how Pelham does not belong in Division III. I actually feel for this kid. Whenever I see mentions of how good he is....I always hear the comment - It's NH D3.

CoachP
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Dec 19, 2015 11:11 am

Gee, I just noticed one of our Forum Member's quotes on another thread here yesterday:

"I think Nathan Hale could be a POY candidate if the Titans finish in the Top 5."

Hale had 34 points in North's big OT win over Salem.

I believe the forum member's initials are T & F Wink Wink Wink Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:59 am

Contendor Category
Merrimack Contendor
Bedford Contendor
Pinkerton Contendor

Scrappy Category
Londonderry
Trinity
Central
BG
Nashua's N and S

Not ready for prime time
Keene
PA (but not as bad as advertised)

Xmas Tournaments should be fun

POY - Wide Open. Hale is as good a bet as anyone, Rizzo from Pinkerton deserves consideration, Jalen from Central as well. Too many others at this point. Really Really should go to whoever leads their team to the best record because the field is so open.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Dec 20, 2015 10:59 am

Never mind that POY is wide open, but when the winner is announced it can still raise some eyebrows. There is a point system in place and the player who gets the most first place votes doesn't always win. A player who garners 4 to 6 1st place votes could lose to a player who receives 2 to 4 first place votes. It's a complete point system where the 2nd place and 3rd place votes can determine the POY. Given this point system, the fact there is no real stand out POYs like the last couple of years, then the race for POY is really wide open.

Also, after the 1st night of action, at this point the race for the D1 Ship is just as wide open as the race for POY.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down