New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2

+3
Tuesday and Friday
GoBroncos
Thereport
7 posters

Go down

Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2 Empty Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2

Post  Thereport Mon Nov 04, 2013 8:52 pm

"And this time...it's for real" -Movie trailer voice
Alvirne will be searching for a new coach again, according to a source, 1st year Head Coach and former BG assistant, Marc Phillips has resigned.

That was quick.

Thereport
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2 Empty What a Shame!

Post  GoBroncos Tue Nov 05, 2013 11:24 am

I was extremely excited when Coach Phillips was hired. He ran a solid camp and the kids had ALL bought in to his program. Unfortunately his inter personal skills are not as strong as his football skills. He quickly lost the players and it got ugly fast.

GoBroncos
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2 Empty Re: Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2

Post  Thereport Tue Nov 05, 2013 1:15 pm

...From the outside, it looked like there were some unrealistic expectations of how quick things would change around there.

And from the outside of the locker room, hearing his uh....speeches after (And I have NO problem with brutal honesty and occasional colorful language) made me think this might not last long....along with other antics within the locker room and practice field I had heard from referees, school officials etc.

Thereport
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2 Empty Re: Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:01 pm

Forum members: Choose your words wisely. It's easy to bash & criticize from a distance. Use the general rule of how would I like what I posted if it was about me.

Have any of you contacted or been contacted by Coach Phillips personally? Well, I have and we'll just leave it as a personal situation for him and leave it at that.

Think twice and post judisciously.

Thanks - T & F

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2 Empty Alvirine looking for a new coach - Part 2

Post  sjsprague Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:09 pm

Well spoken T&F.  Bashing coaches and officials is not acceptable even if the posters have solid information.  How would we feel if on the receiving end of these comments.  Not appropriate for the Sports Forum.  Let's talk teams and athletes in a positive format.

sjsprague
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  GoBroncos Tue Nov 05, 2013 5:11 pm

I have the utmost respect for Coach Phillips and while I have not talked to him directly since his resignation, I did speak with him on several occasions this season. He was dealt a difficult hand and he certainly gave his maximum effort. All I am saying is that his skill set, in my opinion was not right for the Alvirne HC job.

GoBroncos
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Alvirne looking for new coach, part 2 Empty Political Correctness wins again

Post  JAF Tue Nov 05, 2013 6:48 pm

If true, then that's too bad.  I believe it was predicable though given the state of involvement by parents in HS athletics.  In this case, I have a strong suspicion that the band parents had a helping hand as every week in the local paper (HLN) there were comments directed towards the coach from a (set of) parent(s).  I'll say this on that - the band should know better than to be playing while their team is trying to score (and win) as time is winding down in a tight game.  That was the first home game and things went downhill from there.  There's a reason the team moved to the other side of the field and there's a reason why a visiting coach complained as well. To me that's a know the game type of thing. I guess sharing the spotlight wasn't in the cards.

My boys played for Mark and even though my oldest was on the receiving end of more than one barb (even one on his birthday) - they like many of their teammates would "run through the wall" for Mark...  Still under the plexi-plastic on his desk is the Lineman's Creed that Mark authored...  Not much else was kept - some Dave Matthews ticket stubs and a couple of pictures, but that Creed sits there to always remind him of the goal.

Mark did quite a bit for Alvirne Football... Check out their website, new helmets, spruced up locker room, new attitude, a post game tailgate - many things he brought from the successful BG program.  There's a reason why a majority of his assistants followed him.  It's football.  I guess Alvirne doesn't want to be a football school.  Perhaps they should just pack up the football gear and donate it to a needy program.  The band can play at soccer games - good luck with that.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Thereport Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:02 am

My apologies if I was out of line for this forum.

T&F- What does having spoken to Phillips directly have to do with it? I witnessed it, directly. I guess if I wasn't physically there at one point to witness it myself along with having spoken to multiple people associated with the school and program, other teams, coaches and even officials, then I would need to directly talk to the man himself about the situation. I have spoken to him about another situation, but we won't go there anymore. Got the point.

Thereport
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Nov 06, 2013 11:47 am

Report: I am talking about reasons why he resigned. There are many reasons. When some or all of them might be personal then Forum members should respect that. This is the information I received when I talked to him and it is why it has EVERYTHING to do with it, especially when shortly after the announcement of him not being the coach, members are coming on here to criticize him ASAP.

Bashing gets boorish after some time. I have protected coaches and players before on this site over the years and will continue to do so.

Whether I agree with the style of players and coaches we talk about on the Forum, I will along with other moderators, continue to protect them from bashing, personal attacks and inflammatory posts.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Thereport Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:45 pm

Whatever reasons he resigned are his own business, I just got the impression from an overwhelming amount of people, he shouldn't have been asked to return.  But there's no point in continuing this argument.  You've clearly got your own connection with him.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:16 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Unless you have new things to add leave your personal agenda out of this thread.)

Thereport
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:05 pm

Report, I believe this thread has run its course, unless you have any new information to add.

Last edited by Tuesday and Friday on Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:13 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Thereport Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:08 pm

Nope.

Thereport
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Nov 06, 2013 4:29 pm

"You've clearly got your own connection with him.."

Thereport

This is very true, Report. I have a lot of connections to a lot of coaches. I've been on this site and NH Notebook for a bit now and have had the pleasure of getting to know numerous coaches. This is what happens when you build relationships to ask questions for articles, postings etc. or to confirm information.

You call it connections. I like to refer to it as building bridges.

I'd be interested for your or any other member's insight for the playoff games this weekend.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:25 pm

This from Twitter earlier today:

Tom King ‏@Telegraph_TomK

Despite rumors, Alvirne AD Karen Bonney said football coach Mark Phillips has not resigned. She did say he is meeting with players Thursday.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Thereport Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:43 pm

Wow. My usually reliable information was misinformed and I apologize for even bringing it up.

Thereport
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  goldenbear Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:27 pm

It is to bad it did not work out but many of us on here said it would not. Coach Phillips is from a dying breed and that style does not fit in public education right now. I think he would be better suited for a college job. I personally would let my son play for that type of coach but many new age parents would not.

goldenbear
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down