New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Sam Carey passes away in car accident

3 posters

Go down

Sam Carey passes away in car accident Empty Sam Carey passes away in car accident

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Nov 16, 2011 1:21 am

It is with great sadness I put the following news item on the Forum from the Union Leader. Truly a somber night for Central basketball. I'm really depressed about this nice young man and very good basketball player who has now left this earth way too early.

Former Manchester, SNHU basketball standout Carey killed in I-93 wreck
By MARK HAYWARD
New Hampshire Union Leader
Published Nov 15, 2011 at 9:57 pm (Updated Nov 15, 2011)

Manchester basketball standout Sam Carey died in a single-car accident this afternoon on Interstate 93 in Campton, a family member confirmed.

Nicole Carey said her brother was thrown from the car and died later at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center.

He was a standout at Central High School in 2004 and later played at Southern New Hampshire University, graduating in 2008.

“He was in Canada playing ball. He was coming home,” Nicole said. But he was late, and she and his fiance thought it was odd because he would have come straight to Manchester to see his 6-month-old son.

They started calling around, and she heard from her brother about the accident.

New Hampshire State Police said the accident was reported about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday in Campton.

Nicole Carey said no other car was involved, and her brother wasn't wearing a safety belt.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Sam Carey passes away in car accident Empty Re: Sam Carey passes away in car accident

Post  GNG Wed Nov 16, 2011 8:02 am

Just once I would like to wake up to some good news.

Tragic, GREAT KID, GREAT FAMILY.

My oldest son played 2 years of aau with Sam. As nice a kid as you could ask for, and boy could he play hoops. Just tragic.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Sam Carey passes away in car accident Empty Re: Sam Carey passes away in car accident

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:30 am

The last basketball event I experienced Sam Carey at was a men's league basketball game last fall. I refereed the game. Sometimes, mens league can be a bane to referee because all these former HS and college players, while having their skills erode, seem to better their skills in whining and complaining as they grow older.

Sam played the whole game without complaint and had fun while doing it. It was a pleasure to see the way he played the game with such physical force and skill. He still had the quick drop step and spin that became synonymous with his game in the post. When he rebounded he swallowed the basketball. He played that game tough, but was very clean. He was a gentleman during the whole game.

With this news about his passing I am comforted by the fact I saw the best in Sam Carey on the basketball court. It is the only salve that can comfort me on this extremely tragic event.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Nov 16, 2011 4:18 pm

I was talking with my son about Sam last night. He reminded me about all the HS games we went to together back in the early 2000s. He said one of the reasons we went to a lot of games was to watch Sam Carey. My son was 10 to 13 years old back then and just starting out with travel and AAU basketball. He said the kids back then talked about Sam all the time and as far as they were concerned, "He was the man in Manchester basketball", back then. My son still talks about the big Central - Trinity game during the regular season played at SNHU when Trinity had the Fab Five. Central lost that game by about 20, but my son said the atmosphere was something he'll never forget as the place was packed and it was Sam Carey and Central going against the Fab Five.

For all you players going into this season or parents bringing your sons or daughters along in HS basketball, just remember kids do look up to the HS players. The harder and better they play along with a sense of maturity will make an impression on the youth coming up. Sam Carey made an impression on my son during his basketball forming years and it was a memorable and nice one.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Nov 18, 2011 9:26 am

I was feeling down in the dumps about the Carey Family situation last night. When something like this happens shock and numbness slowly turns to a kind of depression. Thankfully, there are people who really liked Sam Carey and are doing their best for his fiance and young son. The following is a listing of information concerning remeberances and fundraisers for Sam Carey:

This from a family member on Facebook:

The Carey Family would like to thank all who have posted on our son Sam Carey. Even though we grieve over his death we are thankful that he was a Christian and knows the Lord. The wake and visiting hours will be Sunday the 20th of November at Lambert Funeral Home 1799 Elm Street, in Manchester, NH from 2 PM to 7 PM. The Funeral/Memorial Service will be on Monday Evening at 6 PM at Southern New Hampshire University Varsity Gym, (SNHU), 2500 North River Road, Manchester, NH where Sam played his college games.

These following 2 from Mike Stys:

We are starting a fundraiser selling bracelets in honor of Sam Carey. We will begin selling them on Monday when they are shipped and will continue to sell them throughout the week including Thanksgiving Eve in Manchester, The Turkey bowl Thanksgiving morning and far beyon...d. 100% of the proceeds will go directly to the Carey family and his Fiance Kayte. Hopefully you guys can all support a much needed cause to help the Family is this time of great loss. Stay Tuned for details on where and when the fundraiser will take place. Invite anyone you want. We will have around 1,000 Bracelets at $5 each to benefit the Carey Family. Show your support please and spread the word. Details will follow soon. 603-860-6672 with any questions.

There is a reception at the Puritan Backroom on Wednesday night (Thanksgiving Eve) from 6-10pm where proceeds will go to the Carey Family and to Kayte and Brayden. We encourage you all to attend to share memories. Hope to see you there. Bracelets will be sold Tuesday night starting at 515-7pm in the SNHU Athletics Complex and on Wednesday night at the Puritan Backroom begining at 5:00pm

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:13 pm

Nice story from Kevin Gray in the UL...

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20111117/SPORTS/711179953
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Nov 22, 2011 11:02 pm

Nice article by Jim Fennell in today's UL about the memorial service at SNHU for Sam Carey on Monday night.

http://unionleader.com/article/20111122/SPORTS/711229973

Some nice notes from the article:

- “If I die, don’t cry for me,” Carey told long-time friend David Cooper shortly after Carey’s infant son Brayden was born. “I’ll be having a good time in heaven.”

- Too young to die, for sure, but the impact a man so young can have on so many was evident these past few days. About 1,600 people paid their respects during Sunday’s calling hours. A thousand strong showed up Monday at Southern New Hampshire University fieldhouse — where Carey played four years for the Penmen — for a memorial service hosted by Carey’s church, the New Testament Christian Fellowship.

- Central coach Doc Wheeler remembers Carey coming to the high school as a relatively unknown home schooler and “in two years, he owned the school.”

- SNHU coach Stan Spirou said Carey “lived life the way we all should, with a smile on his face,” and remembered Carey for the way he worked with kids.“Sam used basketball as a vehicle to give back,” said Spirou, who also announced that Brayden Carey has a scholarship to SNHU waiting for him, whether he plays basketball or not.

- It was also announced that Carey’s number was being retired by Central, SNHU and the Kebs.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down