New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Power Poll

+5
Tuesday and Friday
GNG
JAF
boxout
SofaKing
9 posters

Go down

Power Poll Empty Power Poll

Post  SofaKing Tue Oct 04, 2011 8:32 am

"Interstate drubbing drops Bishop Guertin three spots in weekly Power Poll
Published Oct 3, 2011 at 12:48 pm (Updated Oct 3, 2011)

The 42-0 drubbing Bishop Guertin of Nashua absorbed from Catholic Memorial at West Roxbury, Mass., Friday night had the expected result in the latest Union Leader/WGAM/WMUR Power Poll. BG, which had won its previous three games, fell to 4-2 and dropped from third to sixth in the ranking of the state’s top high school football teams.

Unbeaten Pinkerton Academy of Derry, which handed BG its only previous defeat, remained a unanimous No. 1 selection of the poll’s nine voters, while Exeter remained No. 2.

Both teams are 5-0 heading into their showdown for first place this Thursday night, at Exeter.

There are no new teams in the top 10, though one team did drop from the rankings. Keene, tied with Goffstown at No. 10 last week, was shut out in the voting after losing to Spaulding of Rochester, 25-18 Friday night.

Salem moved up one spot, replacing BG at No. 3. The Blue Devils improved to 4-1 with a 34-14 victory over Nashua North, despite losing Player of the Year candidate Jerickson Fedrick when the running back injured his hip in the first quarter.

Manchester Central, also 4-1, jumped two spots to No. 4 after routing Souhegan of Amherst, 42-0, in an inter-division game between the Division I Little Green and Division III Sabers.

Nashua South (4-1), a 34-13 winner over Concord, remained at No. 5, followed by BG, No. 7 Dover (4-1), No. 8 Portsmouth (4-1), No. 9 Trinity of Manchester (5-0) and No. 10 Goffstown (4-0).

For more on the Power Poll, see tomorrow’s editions of the New Hampshire Union Leader and staff reporter Marc Thaler’s New Hampshire GameDay blog."

-From The Union Leader

Honestly, I know this poll exisits to create controversy and get discussions happening about football across the state, but it really IS pretty ridiculous at times.

So, BG falls 3 spots after losing to a Massachusetts opponent with four (4) Division 1 athletes on their roster?? What sense does that make? It's an in-state power poll is it not? Meanwhile, Central jumps to #4 for beating Souhegan in a blow-out, even though Souhegan is a 1-win team in Division 3? Then, you have Goffstown hanging around at #10 for what exactly? Beating a highly over-rated Bedford team and barely beating a winless Souhegan? Goffstown was leading 3-0 against a very poor Pembroke until late in the 4th quarter when they scored a TD and then got a safety on kickoff. How does that performance justify their remaining in the top 10? How does H/B beat Memorial in week 1, and then beat Souhegan nearly as badly as Central, have a 4-0 record, and not appear on the poll at all? South is a much better team than Central, but is ranked below them based on what?

Lots of questions this week...the BG one being the most pressing.

I honestly think that most of the people who vote in these polls go off of what the team's perennial reputation is more than anything to do with intimately knowing and watching football week-to-week.

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Power Poll Empty You think?

Post  boxout Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:01 am

SofaKing you are 100%. I will take it one step further. Many of these media writers don't even see 1/2 the teams they poll. Many of these voters will only see one school play at home all season long. Some voters will not even go to a HS football game this year.
I brought this up during basketball season and was chastised for my opinion, when in reality it is factual. If you are a sportscaster who works every Friday night focusing on Pro sports first, and high school third, of course behind UNH. Then how many games are you seeing in HS? Not sure either if this network also allows a father to vote for his sons team every week.
There is a writer who never leaves the city, meaning he sees the three teams in the city, and of course they are always home. Anyone who has ever covered a team for a full season knows that it is very tough not to have some sort of bias against the team they cover. This is really obvious when the writer has been covering the same team for years.
I heard from the writers that they talk to coaches and other media members for information on teams, not really an ideal situation. We all know that a coach would never overrate or underrate their teams. Or that other media members would either.
This isn't like college football polls where you can catch 5 or 6 games a week on the good old boob tube.
I do agree that polls are for debate and breakdowns, however it is rarely anything accurate. I also don't understand how you can rank a DI school behind a D3 or D4 program. 9 out of 10 times the higher division team will always beat the lower program. I am talking about playoff teams, not cellar dwellers. The first 4 or 5 teams in DI would smoke any team in DIII. BG would also smoke any team behind them in classes. To be honest there should never be a D5 team ranked. As great a history as Plymouth has, they would never beat perennial winners, like BG, Pinkerton, or Exeter.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Power Poll Empty Re: Power Poll

Post  JAF Tue Oct 04, 2011 9:52 am

The "Power Poll" is and has always been a joke. I think there's only one or two that make their votes known (Thaler being one of them). I prefer Jeremy's rankings - at least he puts his words and thoughts behind his rankings. I think the bulk of the votes are a result of reputation. I don't think the voters know how to handle out of state wins, losses, or close games.

I actually think BG was rated higher than they should have been over the last couple of weeks. Sure they "only" lost 16-0 vs. PA, but let's be honest for anyone at the game the score could have easily been the same as any of PA's other blowouts. At least South and Salem scored. BG didn't come close to scoring. They were closer to scoring against CM. As an aside, I believe a CM v. PA game *this* year would be a great game. What the BG game did was show PA how important it was to score in the red zone. Right now, Central is getting "points" for beating D3 Souhegan and even though South beats Concord by way more than Central did, South is lower in the poll. How many voters come from Nashua? Dover crushes a hapless Alvirne while Portsmouth beats a good Milford team and so the reward for the better beating is a higher ranking. You want to know why there's a few blowout scores... It's just like college football in that regard.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:07 am

Not for nothing at least Thaler tells you why he voted where he voted. Bottom line the only poll that matters is who is on top after NH crowns their 6 STATE CHAMPS.

This gives me an idea for Thaler and Pete's new show. It seems like Marc Thaler has some woman's ear who is high up on the nhiaa board. Get her on the show and grill her on why NH has so many state champs in football. I honestly believe in this next nhiaa cycle there is enough momentum from people to make the changes from 6 to 3 divisions. Six state champs for a state our size is a joke.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:27 am

As John Wayne said in "The Searchers" THAT'LL BE THE DAY some one from NHIAA comes on a sports radio show to explain their different thoughts on why there is 6 football divisions. I get the feeling going up to the NHIAA office would be like when Dorothy first went to see the Wizard. You would get a recording at the front door:

"Oz is not here. Come back tomorrow !!!!"

As far as the UL putting Trinity in the power poll..... It is ridiculously funny for them to put a D4 team in there, but it's not like this will send Trinity to a BCS Bowl game or anything. With newspapers struggling more and more for readership and advertising revenue putting a Manchester D4 high school football program in their power poll makes perfect economic sense to them to hold on to slipping $$$$.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:32 am

T@F, Thaler had it in his blog or in the paper. I know he has talked to this woman before. Get her on the radio, let people call and blast the nhiaa. Then, maybe change will occur. I know you would call.

It would make for a helluva first show. Very Happy

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:33 am

"Oz is not here. Come back tomorrow, next week or next year."

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:36 am

GNG, you are a 10 pound log splitting mauler as in "blast the NHIAA."

I am a velvet lined rubber mallet as in "Bring in the NHIAA so we could have a civil constructive criticism conversation about their direction of NH high school sports."

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG Tue Oct 04, 2011 10:42 am

That's why we make a good team. You give your eloquent,thoughful,intellectual, presentation. Then I come in Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil Twisted Evil with a little more gritty ,emotional,rant.

You know, good cop, bad cop. Or in my case good cop, crazy cop. bom

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Oct 04, 2011 11:12 am

I see no issue with Trinity in the poll if they are the top D4 team... A few years ago when Plymouth was in the middle of their streak they'd continually get put into the poll even though a multitude of bloggers said - put 'em up a division or in any other division and they'd lose. I see no "injustice" with the logic that you're putting the top tier teams from the top 4 divisions in the state into the poll. Yes, the lower divisions couldn't compete week in and week out vs. the upper teams. Where the logic begins to fall apart is when/if a D4 team gets a top 4 team vote.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:23 pm

JAF wrote:
The "Power Poll" is and has always been a joke. I think there's only one or two that make their votes known (Thaler being one of them). I prefer Jeremy's rankings - at least he puts his words and thoughts behind his rankings.

Thanks, JAF! My rankings for this week were posted yesterday: http://www.nhnotebook.com/2011/10/nh-notebook-football-power-rankings.html

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  SofaKing Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:18 pm

I agree. I put much more stock in the nhnotebook rankings that Jeremy does than the UL power poll. The rationale on Jeremy's rankings makes sense and is very well thought out.

Keep up the good work, Jeremy!

Very Happy

SofaKing
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:25 pm

I'm proud to say I've been a fan of Jeremy's since he was a veritable baby in the blogging woods. Cool

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  MaxSportsNH Wed Oct 05, 2011 4:29 pm

I absolutely love jeremy's site also, very spot on and his coverage is excellent with the added video feature he has done its great.

I say that with the utmost admiration even though Jeremy consistently snubs my own kid on game coverage or gets the TD's wrong . LOL......still think hes got one the best NH Sports site.

MaxSportsNH
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:15 pm

Thanks guys, the kind words are appreciated. I have to thank Jon Kesty for his hard work with the videos. And MaxSports, I think I know who you are after that last sentence - sorry again about getting the TD's wrong on that game. I may have said the wrong number on the video but I got it right in the article!

Last edited by Jeremy Leveille on Thu Oct 06, 2011 9:21 am; edited 1 time in total

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Stead Thu Oct 06, 2011 12:20 am

Jeremy, you are the man! thanks for all you hard work and all of the great NH football bloggers, NH Notebook, NH Football Report, NH Gameday, NH Sportspage, and of course the one and only NH Sports Forum, and oh yes NH High School sports, great job Joe except George Scione has picked Pinkerton to lose every week this year on Pigskin Prophets (lost his credibility) wishing for someone to lose and picking games are two different animals.

Stead
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Power Poll Empty Power Poll

Post  tarrier Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:04 am

As a "charter" member of the Power Poll I still have a vote. And yes, I do regularly go to games...I haven't gone public with my weekly ballots this season yet because, up until now I haven't really had the forum(no pun intended) to do so. That said, I think those that have followed this forum over the past couple of years might remember that I always "revealed" my votes on this site and on the WGAM website, and more importantly, the reason why I voted that way. Now that I'm back on the air with the new radio show I promise that starting this week I will post my ballot so you guys can rip me for not knowing what the hell I'm talking about.

As for GNG's idea about getting Winnacunnet AD Carol Dozibrin on the new "NH High School Football Show" to talk about all things NHIAA...I can say that it wont happen this week, but we will attempt to do so this year.

BTW, we do have what I think is a great 1st show planned for Saturday(me and Marc Thaler co-hosting from 7a-9a on WGIR-AM 610 in Manchester and 96.7 FM "The Wave" on the seacoast...also available online at www.wgiram.com and www.967thewave.com). You'll hear from Bill Ball from Exeter @ 7:30am talking about his teams tough loss to Pinkerton, Astros coach Brian O'Reilly will give us his thoughts @ 8:15am and Ryan Ray from Central is scheduled to join us at 8:30am following the Little Green's game against L'derry(Marc will be there for that one for the UL). I'm headed to the seacoast on Friday night and I will be trying to book the winning coach from the Dover/BG game for a spot on Sat AM. I hope you all listen in...and spread the word that there's a new LOCAL high school show in NH!

tarrier
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:14 am

"I promise that starting this week I will post my ballot so you guys can rip me for not knowing what the hell I'm talking about."
tarrier

C'mon Mr T. We try to be kind and gentle here on the Forum. I would prefer to say Forum members will have a judicious discussion impressing their differences to you in a civil manner concerning your ballot on the power poll.

Doesn't this sound better than "ripping" ????

Good luck with the new show. It sounds like it'll be a good addition to the HS sports scene in NH.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down