New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

3-1 ain't as much fun

+2
Tuesday and Friday
GNG
6 posters

Go down

3-1 ain't as much fun Empty 3-1 ain't as much fun

Post  GNG Tue Apr 19, 2011 7:58 pm

Lost a heartbreaker at Merrimack. Gilcrest pitched a gem and deserved a better fate. Up 3-0 bottom of the 6th a walk, error,and hit batsmen loaded the bases. Michaud came up and hit a ball to right that got misplayed, it should be noted that the right fielder made 3 outstanding catches earlier in the game. Relay was overthrown and all 4 runs scored. Chase Distacio relieved Damon and pitched 2 scorelees innings.
Wish they had a fence in Merrimack because Psycho hit a ball that was at least 380 feet {if not more} down the left field line that Ryan Dupont made an outstanding catch on. Rem hit a triple to left center that is out of any park in NH with a fence. The Merrimack outfield plays deeeeeep, unfortunately that's where the Guertin batters hit them.
Merrimack should be talked about with the contenders, Damon,and Hudon gives them some good pitching, alot of seniors, not much power , but they are scrappy. This is their 2nd late inning comeback victory. It should also be noted that I coached quite a few of them in babe ruth all stars,maybe that's why I like them .

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

3-1 ain't as much fun Empty Re: 3-1 ain't as much fun

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Apr 19, 2011 8:05 pm

Just another "friendly" sporting event between Merry and BG.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Tue Apr 19, 2011 9:01 pm

Too many left on base today - BG let Damon off the hook in a couple of innings. Give him credit though for bearing down and getting the outs he had to get when he got in trouble. Still have a ways to go to get more hits against Varsity level pitching - a few are hitting well, but too many scuffling. It's early though and there's time. That game played at any ballpark with a fence is a different result. Feel bad for Cody who cruised through 5 innings with 56 pitches - that's a tough luck loss. Let's see how they bounce back vs. Salem tomorrow night if it's played.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  FullCount Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:24 pm

Tough loss but that's HS baseball - agree, Gilchrest pitched a great game - there is certainly room for improvement in hitting and D.... the boys will get there. Looking forward to getting right back at it tomorrow with Salem

FullCount
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:38 pm

Sounds like someone pitched a gem for 5 innings. Anytime the bases get loaded with a walk & a HBP involved, you are asking for trouble as a pitcher.

Also, while your complaining about no fence, it is just as hard to say how the game would have turned out if your right fielder had not made 3 great plays you mentioned. Baseball has always been about maximizing your opportunities wether they occur in the 1st inning or the last. It is also the greatest of the "if" sports -> I still cringe when I hear 'Bucky Dent'.

There are a number of fields that do not utilize a fence and i NEVER understood why the NHIAA did not institute a rule for every school to at least utilize the temporary "snow fence" like St. Thomas uses.

Even then there will alway be discussion over the distances of the fences. Here on the seacoast, you have Somersworth's home field which is the ultimate band box (barely 300'). I have gone to some games in the past there where there were 10 or more HRs in a single game. Dover has a great field with respectable fence depth. Rochester is also a great field with good distance to the fences. (They hosted Claas M tournament in the past) Oyster River is one of those fields with no fences and i think Kennett used to be that way too.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Mauser96 Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:40 am

It had to happen sooner or later. It was tough that it came the way it did (same thing happened to Salem), but I am glad that it came early. The boys can hopefully now relax, move on and stay loose the rest of the season. They have latent talent, and will gel and get much better as the season progresses.

Mauser96
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum