New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Announcement!

+7
abball
basketballtime
EBlessNHSP
Tuesday and Friday
GNG
chicagokid43
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Announcement!  Empty Announcement!

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:36 am

Mike Mitchell called the Head Coach of Suny Plattsburgh today and committed. Mike Mitchell is a Cardinal! Wow am I glad that is over...

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty congrats

Post  GNG Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:07 am

great news.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Re: Announcement!

Post  Tuesday and Friday Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:16 am

Congrats to Junior.

Not only is he a fine young man, but he is the smartest basketball member of this family Smile

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:12 am

Congrats to Jr. and I hope he has a great college basketball career. We'll (ChiKid) will be sure to track his progress in the NH Players in College forum. Very Happy
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty good to hear

Post  8992 Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:13 am

Congratulations!
How long a drive for you? The toughest thing that my wife and I found is the traveling to see our kids compete.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:22 am

If you head up 89 to Burlington than catch the ferry across Lake Champlain probably a 5 hour ordeal. From Milford you can get to Burlington in 3 hours now problem. A little further to the Grand Isle Ferry and you're in Platsburg within 5 hours, maybe less depending on how long/early you are dealing with the ferry. Nice thing is the Ferry drops you right in Platsburg.

Another bonus, you'll only be a half hour/45 minutes from the Canadian border. I'm not sure who that's better for, Sr. or Jr. Cool
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Ferry

Post  8992 Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:23 am

I could never get my wife on the ferry.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:28 am

A quick look at their schedule shows their having a good year, and reigning SUNYAC conference champions. They lost in the first round of the DIII national tournament last year, but he'll be entering a successful program, which is good news.

Looks like he'll be playing behind what will be a Senior next year at the point. So he'll have a year to adjust before potentially getting some serious minutes. Looks like a good fit.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:29 am

8992 wrote:I could never get my wife on the ferry.

Try taking the ferry across the Long Island sound from New London to NY on a rough sea day. Last time I took my pregnant wife and 6 mo old puppy that occurred. Needless to say we drive around the long way to see family and friends now!
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Actually only about 4 hours if you time it right and hit the Ferry on time.

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:26 am

Actually only about 4 hours if you hit the Ferry at the right time. Ferrry ride is not exciting in the winter obviously but it is a gorgeous ride over in the spring and summer. Mike will be behind a senior next year but there was talk with the coached of him getting some minutes because the senior point is actually a scoring point guard and there may be times they can both be on the floor. It will be a defensive question first but the coach likes the thought of being able to have them on the floor together. Plattsburgh has won 3 of the last 4 SUNYAC conference titles and the coach has been the Conference coach of the year in those same years. The school has overlapping majors and Mike really wanted to be in a large school setting. Plattsburgh State is almost 6000 students and was the largest of the schools he applied to. I hope it is a good choice for him but I think he really did take everything into consideration not only basketball.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty That's wonderful!!!!!!!!!!!

Post  basketballtime Tue Feb 01, 2011 7:27 pm

It's so wonderful to know that Mikey is finally in you must be a very proud papa. Mikey deserves it he has worked so hard on his game congrats to him and to you. By the way what did you think of this post from our friends at NH HS Sports as Jeremy put it? The one where he left your son of the all state list and put a freshman on instead? I couldn't disagree more with that thought. I know the kid has scored a buch of points but against who? The only tough team they've played so far is Portsmouth other than that i think i could average around 30 against the other teams they have played so far. Milford has had to play most of the top schools so far and are unblemished where as Pembroke has lost to Lebanon a team the Milford crushed in the Christmas tourney by thirty correct? I also thought Pembroke barely beat Coe Brown by like nine another team Milford crushed by thirty. I would take Mikey into battle anytime. So no i don't see the logic in picking him over Mikey especially since Mikey is proven and this kid has not proven anything at all? scratch

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Thanks

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:32 pm

I am very proud. I am real proud because the kid did such a great job ignoring many who said he would be to small to play college ball and here he is going to the next level to a very solid club no less. So yes very proud.
As for the all state thing I actually did not see it but I assume if it was a freshmen it was Welch. Kid is a big time player and I am sure he will take some votes from many of the upper class man. I personally think the kid is a heck of a player and you can make that argument because of his numbers but then again as you said I am sure if my son took that many shots he could put up similar numbers. When my son scores he does it by making the most of his 5-8 shots in a game. So they are very different players on very different teams. I have never put a lot into the all state selection process either. With D2 teams playing only half of the teams and in some cases less than that it is often more about how many coaches seen you play or how hard your coach is willing to market you to the other coaches. So whatever I guess is the best comment I can make. I wouldn't trade him for any other point guard in the state but I am very bias you know. So anyway I am happy that the decision is over and I am happy that he is going to a solid school with a coach that has won 3 out of the last 4 coach of the year awards for the SUNYAC conference. Coach Curle also has a Masters in Education and a very solid support system for the incoming freshman that makes my wife and I very comfortable sending our 17 year old College freshmen to. Now if it would stop snowing we could get back to basketball.. lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  abball Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:46 pm

Just curious Chikid what other schools where looking at Mike? i know he has commmitted and i know recently Oloughlin committed to Trinity in Conn. Must be some very proud parents in Milford. Do you know anything about Holder and where he may be heading?

abball
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Interest from many schools

Post  chicagokid43 Tue Feb 01, 2011 10:20 pm

Interest from many schools from New England as well as some from as far south as Virginia and Tennessee. Several schools like Clarkson and Hobart/William Smith and Boston area schools like Emerson and Suffolk. He narrowed down to Wentworth,Plattsburgh and was intrigued late by the coach from Lycoming college in Williamsport PA. After really giving Wentworth a lot of thought it came down to Plattsburghs flexibility academically that carried the most weight. The business major at Plattsburgh is very close in course content with his second choice of entrepreneurial studies so he could switch midstream and not end up overloaded with courses or taking another year to finish that major. Even better than that he could do that and graduate with a major in one and a minor in the other. Which looks nice on a resume. His mother and I liked the coaches a lot and also liked that he would get good support from the coaching staff. They have a very elaborate system to track grades and studies for incoming freshmen which we really liked also. With Mike actually started off his college freshman year as a 17 year old a little babysitting academically can't hurt.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:52 pm

Sincere Congratulations!

Best thing I liked about your posts was that the deciding factor was ACADEMICS! I will try to make sure I am only 5 or 6 steps behind you on keeping up in the college section..LOL!

One thing is absolutely certain - You had better find a good hotel in the area to stay in for those home games with all the fun weather your going to get during the season! All kinds of fun husband-wife talk time too!

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Actually

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:15 am

Actually we have a friend who owns a home in Plattsburgh so we have somewhere to stay if we want to be cheap.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty We have been married

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:17 am

We have been married 21 years. She can make me drive but she cannot make me talk! lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Abball reply Re: Announcement!

Post  basketballtime Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:31 am

I believe Chikid didn't answer the whole question so this is what i've heard. Holder is heading to Notre Dame Prep for a post grad year. They seem to be a pretty loaded team with Angle Nunez/Louisville,Todd Mayo OJ's little brother, Grandy Glaze/UNLV, Jeff Short/Fordham, Devin Macmillan/Fordham, Sam Cassell Jr, Myles Davis, Then round it out with Khem Birch 2011 top ten in the country ESPN Prospect and cap it off with Ricardo Ledo Top 11th in the country in 2012 i think Holder will have blast playing with those guys never mind learning a few things along the way good luck to him too. Milford should be proud. Anyone know about Kyle Nelson or Scott Mcallum's future?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Holder

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:47 am

I try to leave it up to the kids or parents to talk about the other commitments. However with Scott going into surgery tomorrow I will announce that he will be attending Colby Sawyer in the Fall. The Colby Sawyer coach was incredible after the injury contacting Scott right away to check on him and to make sure that he knew their interest had not changed because of the injury and he was committed and accepted shortly after. Scott is scheduled for his surgery at 6:30 AM tomorrow and let's all hope it goes well and he is chucking threes sooner rather than later. He has worked real hard the last few years and I think that same hard work will get him through this and back on the court again.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty SUNY-Plattsburgh

Post  boxout Wed Feb 02, 2011 10:24 am

Congratulations Dad. Mikey is a pleasure to watch play hoop. He is a fantastic passer maybe the best in the state, outstanding free-throw shooter, consistent 3, and good driver. The only advice I could give for the summer is work on a mid-range game with a shot off the dribble, I know it is tough with his height but he can do it. Could work on left-hand as well. His defense is solid and he can be put in situations where he could do well defensively. Enjoy the next four years it will fly bye.
Good luck to Mike and I am now a Suny-Plattsburg Cardinal fan.

boxout
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:42 am

basketballtime wrote:By the way what did you think of this post from our friends at NH HS Sports as Jeremy put it? The one where he left your son of the all state list and put a freshman on instead? I couldn't disagree more with that thought.

NH HS Sports is a different site than Jeremys FYI. http://www.nh-highschoolsports.com/

Curious which post you're talking about? I haven't seen any all state stuff yet....
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty nh sports page

Post  GNG Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:50 am

is the site they mean.I always enjoy reading his game write ups.He doesn't miss to much.I have said it before,nh high school sports has some great web sites.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tulliver Wed Feb 02, 2011 11:58 am

Congrats!

Tulliver

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Congratulations

Post  ShotClock Wed Feb 02, 2011 2:20 pm

I am first time poster here. I felt compelled to send congratulations to you and Mike Jr. My son and I have enjoyed watching him play. He is an inspiration to all smaller players who have the heart and will to overcome any “obstacles”. Best of luck with the remaining season.

ShotClock
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Announcement!  Empty Thanks

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Feb 02, 2011 3:17 pm

Thanks from the Mitchell family. We appreciate all the kind words and good wishes. Unfortunately Mike will be stuck in this house forever buried by snow. haha

Thanks again everyone!

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum