New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Is there ever?

5 posters

Go down

Is there ever? Empty Is there ever?

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:57 am

So here is a question for you guru's. Is there ever a reason for a coach to intentionally to get a Technical Foul? I know some coaches think it can fire up a team and others think it can win you a call later if you get it in protest of a call. So just curious is there a time when a coach should get one?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Is there ever? Empty Re: Is there ever?

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:23 am

Most times it back fires on the coach. When I think back about technical fouls called on coaches more often than not the teams who's coach receives a technical in a game usually loses.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Jan 15, 2011 8:28 am

Cmon ChiKid..."Hoosiers"?!?!

You've got a drunken washed up hoops guru as your assistant coach, desperately in need of a second chance and some confidence...so you get yourself thrown out. Works everytime. No I'm not talking about myself although I have often been referred to as "Shooter" due to my ability to make successive layups.

Seriously though...I think coaches get Technicals on purpose all the time. Whether to diffuse a situation on the court, make a point to an official or to rally a team that's under-performing coaches strategically get technicals for a number of reasons. I dot think there's always (or usually) a positive outcome as a result but there are definitely times it's a calculated move by a coach.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Is there ever? Empty this might surprise you

Post  GNG Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:10 am

I don't believe migs has a technical in his 4 years at guertin.He is always yelling, but not at the refs.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Is there ever? Empty Personal Opinion

Post  chicagokid43 Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:59 pm

Sometimes I think a coach needs to get one just to show he is fighting for his team. I know in the past I have gotten a T in a game for standing up for a player and it really shows the team you are there with them for the battle. While it may not help with the referees calls I do think it can rally the troops and even absorb some of the players frustrations. The player almost feels like he got to tell the referee his argument through the coach which can help calm the player some. May not be the best way every time but I definitely think a coach can use it as a tool some nights.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 15, 2011 5:24 pm

ChiKid receiving a technical in prior coaching.

I am in complete and utter shock.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JT_nh_hs_fan Sun Jan 16, 2011 11:01 pm

Yes, good coaches understand how to work the refs and how to use the 'T' to influence them. As far as game results go, whether a team wins or losses has more to with their overall performance than any coach getting a 'T' or not getting one. This tactic is used more to get a change in the types of call being made or when a big call has been missed. The coaches who understand how to use it versus just getting one for the sake of getting one are more successful at influencing calls from that point forward. It is then up to the players on the court to take advantage of what the coach has gained for them. Does it always work - No, but there are times when it does and is worth the penalty.

JT_nh_hs_fan

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum