New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Zone vs Shotclock?

5 posters

Go down

Zone vs Shotclock? Empty Zone vs Shotclock?

Post  chicagokid43 Wed Aug 11, 2010 11:24 pm

Well if some of you do not know already tonight there was collision between the dreaded zone defense and the shotclock at the BST league. At about the 10 minute mark BG up I think 6 decided to hold the ball at half court and try and force Trinity out of the zone. Trinity refused for quite some time. I would guess at least 4 or 5 minutes. Lets open up discussion? Is BG wrong for doing so? Is Trinity wrong for staying in zone that long or is it a case where a shot clock would change it all?

Thoughts?

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Zone vs Shotclock? Empty Re: Zone vs Shotclock?

Post  EBlessNHSP Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:20 am

Happens several times a year. Heard about it happening between two elite AAU clubs earlier this summer. Saw Oyster River perform the deed early last season at home vs. Portsmouth. The entire crowd booed and whistled.

My feelings on it - no, it's not part of the game, but yes, it's within the rules. Basketball is supposed to be fun, especially for the kids and playing that style of basketball I can guarantee you is not fun for anybody.

Shotclocks are not feasible in NH - you've got some teams struggling to get a shot off period. That and with school budgets where they are hooking up the technology to make this happen at every D1-D4 school in the State is a stretch. Lastly, do you really want the refs to have something else to watch out for?
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Zone vs Shotclock? Empty Agreed Mr Assistant

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:47 am

I agree, it comes down to the coaches especially in summer league. I mean was winning the championship of the summer league so important that a team would stall just to win. Was winning so important that the coach for Trinity wouldn't say ok they got the lead we have to make a move to try and force the ball back into play? I think the stall is part of the game but coaches do not need to use that type of thing in Summer ball. Just my opinion. Specially with 10 minutes to play like last night. Two minutes to go maybe but not ten.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Zone vs Shotclock? Empty shotclock

Post  8992 Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:31 pm

A NH shotclock would be nice, but every season I go to HS games where you see schools have problems just running the game clock. It's not always the equipment but the skills of the operators. Not that they are not trying hard, but they just get distracted.

Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan Thu Aug 12, 2010 3:43 pm

Shotclock would give unfair advantage to better teams. More offensive possessions would favor better team. I used to be for it now against definitely.

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Zone vs Shotclock? Empty Shouldn't the better team deserve to win?

Post  basketballtime Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:31 pm

Shouldn't the better team deserve to win? If the shot clock helps a better team to win so be it. By the way how does not having a shot clock help any of these kids that get into college get ready for it?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Zone vs Shotclock? Empty Torn

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:40 pm

I am so torn on tis now.. I like the idea of the shot clock because it does prepare the players for the next level however how many of the players on the court legitimately have a chance to play college ball. And by adding more possessions you do allow a better team more chances to score and that could lead to running it up.
On the other hand to me with the three point shot if you are within 5 points in a game late use the last 2 minutes to pressure and foul. If the team your playing is really good they make their free throws and you look to take threes if they miss a few and you hit a few threes it is a possession game again. So stay close and make teams go to the line and beat you. If you cannot make up 5 points in 10 minutes by pressuring and fouling, you were not the best team. Come out play D and hack. If you lose you lose but go down fighting. I still think the shot clock would be fun and more interesting to watch but I really do not think it is needed as many in this state think. I mean come on 42 out of 50 states use no shot clock. I am sure many of those states have the same discussion but does it have to happen? I do not think so.

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan Thu Aug 12, 2010 4:43 pm

How many kids are really going to play in college? It gives the better team more of an advantage. More possesions for each team, better team will win less chance for upset, less coachiong, less strategy. Don t have to play defense the shot clock does it for you. In NH it seems to work out fine without. In AAU no shot clock either. I have seen roughly (between AAU and high school) roughly 200 high school games in the last 3 years so I am not saying this with out getting a good sample. If you asked me three years ago I would have been on your side 100% definitely not any more...

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  basketballtime Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:37 pm

So go ahead then and ask yourself why does college,international and nba do it? And do really think any of these three leagues do not play defense? the truth is it would be a boring game and teams would slow everything down and ruin the game such as the trinitny/BG game was ruined. Here's a thought why not compremise and have a 30 to 40 second shot clock if your worried about running up scores ect? I love seeing a fast paced game no matter what sport it is don't you?

basketballtime
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Zone vs Shotclock? Empty I guess..

Post  chicagokid43 Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:29 pm

Why do you think AAU can live without it as well as 41 other states? I mean when I was in Indiana this year for the finals of the high school tourney there, the shot clock did not seem to come into play that often if at all. Would it make the game more entertaining in the final minutes.. sure but is it as needed as some think? I still am unsure of that.
For the record I have coached 5 games with a shotclock already. When my daughters AAU team went to nationals when she was 11 believe it or not we used the 35 second shot clock with no 10 second back court violation. I am 0-5 in that system lol

chicagokid43
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  NHsportsfan Thu Aug 12, 2010 10:19 pm

Take the number of players from NH that will be playing in college, internationally or the NBA and I think you have your answer. The top ten players in the class of 2010 sure it would work even the next ten. What about the other 600 kids playing varsity in NH ? Not skilled or athletic enough to have it work.

NHsportsfan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down