New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

January 29th Games

5 posters

Go down

January 29th Games Empty January 29th Games

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Jan 29, 2010 3:51 pm

Pinkerton at Exeter: Even though Pinkerton is the favored team in this game I expect a good fight from the Blue Hawks. Pinkerton is starting to gain momentum. Exeter needs to jump start some momentum going into Feb.

Londonderry at Salem: The Lancers have a 3 game losing streak to 3 tough clubs (Winny, Memorial and Pinkerton). Salem is coming off the big victory over BG. This is one of those "grind" pick em games that seems to occur with frequency in Class L this season.

Central at Trinity: The thing about these rivalry games is that when you most expect a result, like a 10 to 15 point victory for Trinity, then you'll probably get a surprise, like a 1 to 5 point victory for Trinity or a Central upset.

Memorial at West: This game is so pick em it's not even funny. It looks like the Blue Knights are playing better consistent basketball than the Crusaders. For Memorial to win other people have to score outside of their top 3 scorers or else Memorial will be looking at a 4 - 4 record at the conclusion of this game.

South at North: North a slight favorite in this "anything can happen game." Both teams need this game to obtain a better seeding for the playoffs.

Well, that should just about do it for the games tonight.

Oh, I almost forgot the little game being played at 194 Lund Rd in Nashua. How could I forget? There's been so little press, hype and build up on this game. I don't think I need to get into all the particulars for this game as it's been covered to death EVERY WHERE. I will say, with temps possibly going below zero tonight, that if someone piped in the air from BG's gym to their house, then their heat would be taken care of for the evening and possibly for the whole bitter cold weekend.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

January 29th Games Empty friday games

Post  Big Guy Fri Jan 29, 2010 5:29 pm

T& F, I will be at the lund rd game tonight.It should be fun. I look forward to seeing you at a game.Do you remember when we were in college and had a great intramural hoop team with Stan Lencki?

Big Guy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

January 29th Games Empty Re: January 29th Games

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 30, 2010 12:37 am

Big Guy - Don't we have a game this week? Oh, that was decades ago!! Yes, Stan used to carry us, but I remember you got your share of points in the paint.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:08 am

Merry 58 BG 55

Merry 18 15 12 13 - 58
BG 11 11 19 14 - 55

This was the best atmosphere I've seen at a HS basketball game in the last 3 years. The AD's for both schools were busy with their student bodies IN THE JV GAME !! The temperature must have been in the high 80s in the gym. This was Hoosiers without Gene Hackman and Coach Migneault. You knew it was going to be a wild night at 194 Lund Rd, but what a way to start the evening to find out Migs wouldn't be coaching the Merry game. All the build up and hype and Migs isn't going to wear out the coaching box.....unbelievable.

Merrimack clicked early as they were lead by Dimitri Floras with 14 first half points. BG seemed to be playing in soft sand offensively and shooting 2 - 13 from the FT line didn't help in the first half. Fontenella kept BG within striking distance with a couple of nice strong finishes at the hoop. You knew at halftime that BG would throw some punches in the 2nd half and how Merry reacted to receiving them would be key. I didn't know that one of the punches that Merrimack would receive would be a self inflicted punch. Let me explain:

Merrimack was up 42 - 34 with 2 minutes to go in the 3rd. Even though Merry's grip on the game was loosening, they still had a Tomo grip. Merry had possession and would be taking the ball out on their offensive baseline with 1:51 to go in the 3rd when Watson performed an excellent wrestling flip maneuver on Remillard on BG. The problem is that the wrestling maneuver took place in a basketball game during a dead ball, so it warranted a technical foul on Watson. Merry loses possession, Cuipa hits both FTs, then BG scores on the inbound after the FTs and all of a sudden it's a tight 4 point game. This loss of emotion by Watson let BG back in the game. It was 45 to 41 heading into the 4th. The first 2 minutes of the 4th quarter was like 2 prize fighters leaning on each other in the 14th round waiting for the bell to send them into the final round. 8 man or 12 man rotations, both teams hit a wall at this point of the 4th period. Both teams got their second wind and the last 5 minutes of this game was as good as it gets for drama, big plays, big FTs, scrambles for loose balls and verbal exchanges with players and coaches on the sidelines.

McClung hit a huge 3 with 17 seconds left to get BG within 1 at 55 - 54. It was the closest BG had been to Merry all game. Merry hits 1 out of 2 FTs after being fouled to go up 56 - 54. McClung is fouled driving to the basket with 8 seconds to go. He hits the first to make it 56 - 55. He back rims the 2nd and there's a mad scramble by the FT line and it's a jump ball which goes Merry's way. Hardwick hits 2 FTs to give Merry the 58 - 55 victory.

BG - McClung 25 St. L 10 Cuipa 9 Fontanella 4 Pyzocha 3 Turner 2 Remillard 2

Merry - D. Floras 20 Watson 11 Maser 8 Hardwick 8 Gendron 5 A. Floras 4 Goodridge 2

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopguy Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:19 am

was the BG coach not allowed per NHIAA or BG AD?
Did this have to do with the salem game?

nhhoopguy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopguy Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:22 am

As I have said before, any night anyone can win as Spaulding beat Alverine and Exeter beat Pinkerton.
Also saw Salem beat Londonderry by 20

nhhoopguy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:49 am

nhhoopguy, did Sanborn play for Londonderry? It was my understanding that his suspension was for the first 6 games of the season and tonight was Londonderry's 8th game...

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sat Jan 30, 2010 1:56 am

- Merrimack was 18 - 27 from the Ft line. BG was a dreadful 9 - 26 from the FT line. With each BG miss from the charity stripe the collective gasps became louder and louder from the BG faithful.

- Travis Maser is officially a "glue guy." He scores, rebounds, keeps the ball alive on the offensive glass, digs deep on defense and his motor is always running. He's a perfect compliment to the scoring of D. Floras and Watson. He plays much bigger than his 6'1 height.

- Kyle Remillard did a good job of getting some Merry players to focus on him and not on the game. I'll just say he respectfully got under the skin of a few Tomahawks.

- Watson seemed to have an edge to him tonight that put him on the cusp of emotionally wild a couple of times in tonight's game.

- Matt Hardwick continues to do nice things at the right time: a kick out after a nice dribble penetration, rebounding well for his short stature and taking the offense when needed makes him a valuable piece for the Merry team.

- Sean McClung was outstanding tonight. He showed a variety of moves to the basket, knocked down big outside shots and carried the Cardinals when they were floundering at different junctures of this game. A truly impressive performance for the 6'3 junior.

- I still can't get over the calm Dimitri Floras displays in such a big game. He never lets the moment get the best of him. He takes the shot or drive when it's there, he gets loose balls and rebounds and just when you think he's going to take a dribble drive he stops and finds a mate with excellent timing and vision. He is so wise beyond his years. He is a pleasure to watch.

- You can't help but think it must have been mighty satisfying for Doc to leave Trinity with a 5 point win tonight after the transfers of some of his former players to Trinity last summer. A very satisfying win for Doc to get the Little Green to 4 - 4.

- Shomari Morgan hits 2 clutch FTs to put Memorial up 45 - 44 with about 10 seconds to go in the game. West shoots on their last possession and Quinton Hunter puts in the game winning tap with 2 seconds to go to give West the 46 - 45 win.

- Exeter upsets Pinkerton 64 - 61. Am I surprised with this score? Not really.

- In the JV game Bg handled Merry by about 15. I was impressed with Sophomore Jeff Giannelli for Merrimack. He has soft hands and some nice post skills. He can knock down FTs when put at the line. If he improves his quickness he'll be a key for Merry next year. Joseph McCarthy had a strong game for BG. He knocked down some 3's in the first half which gave BG a solid lead. His 6'5 wiry body will replace the void left by St. Lawrence's graduation next season. Matt Preskenis had a nice game also for BG. He looks like a player that will work his way into the frenetic 10 to 12 man rotation for BG next season.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopguy Sat Jan 30, 2010 2:05 am

I don't think sanborn played

nhhoopguy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:43 am

Was St. Lawrence out Friday night as well? IF so without Green/St. L BG losing only by 3 really speaks well for their depth.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

January 29th Games Empty re jan 29th

Post  Big Guy Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:48 am

St Lawrence played.He hit his head on a nasty spill early in the game.I now see why Goodridge suspended Watson earlier in the season.I was surprised to see Goodridge put him back in the game,because Goodridge has a long standing rule if one of his players gets a technical they sit for the rest of that game ,and the 1st half of the next game.Should be interesting to see if Watson plays 1st half against Salem.

Big Guy
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down