New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

NHIAA vs NEPSAC

4 posters

Go down

NHIAA vs NEPSAC Empty NHIAA vs NEPSAC

Post  Hooper Tue Sep 16, 2014 6:06 pm

Somehow Matt Bonner and Tyler Roche managed to make in to the big time.

I have no idea what happened with Trevon, but I do know the NEPSAC. He is coming back to a stronger team at Memorial than Hyde, He is playing with his friends, and representing his community. I am sure Hyde has some upside in terms of academics but Trevon can still go next year. If Memorial wins it (and they have to be one of the favorites) it will be something special to him forever.

I am having a real hard time with some of the publicizing that is going on when a player leaves for the NEPSAC as if it is there only choice. I don't blame the NEPSAC at all. AAU Coaches are making a business of peddling these kids off to Prep, and getting publicity for themselves as if it were an NBA trade. The fact is Tyler Roche went to Central and wound up at BC, Matt and Luke went high D1. Duncan Robinson didn't get an offer from Michigan until after he went to Williams.

Obviously Brewster, New Hampton, Northfield Mt Herman etc and in another league than Central, Pembroke, Etc. But that's not because of coaching, weight room, facilities etc. It's because the kids they have that are NOT from NH. Many of these NEPSAC's lower levels are combinations of a few great players and then kids that couldn't crack Mig's lineup.

Play the kids from NH in the NEPSAC vs the kids in NH NHIAA. Take out the PG's and 5th year seniors. and you know what you get. a very close game

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

NHIAA vs NEPSAC Empty Re: NHIAA vs NEPSAC

Post  JAF Wed Sep 17, 2014 7:24 am

My post from the Pembroke thread when this was brought up :

"I don't think NHIAA can ever compete with NEPSAC or prep schools (or junior hockey) in general. It shouldn't be the goal. HS athletics for the most part is made up of players that won't ever get on a collegiate team. It's not the stated goal of HS athletics; whereas, NEPSAC schools will tout their athletics as being the stepping stone for "better" athletes to prove themselves against a higher level of competition. Although I also believe schools like that do prey on their athletes parents desire/feeling to see their child play collegiately. Every hoop roster needs players 9-15 or so... Be realistic in your athletes abilities and "place"..."

I agree it's not impossible to go from NHIAA to a D1 program - it's been done. BUT, let's face it the players you noted are pretty special players and they each worked very hard to get where they are at. IIRC - Roche had a couple of years of bench/sub time and then a year or two where he got major minutes, but the supporting cast and team in general was pretty weak in a strong ACC. Not knocking Roche, but that's the reality these athletes face in order to get play time at that next level. OTOH Bonner ends up being much more successful career wise because he's been able to parlay what he knows are his strengths into an NBA career. You don't see him selling Bonner shoes on TV, but he's found his niche. So that's 2 out of how many athletes in recent years? Oh yes, Kaleb T (not even going to try) at Arizona - although didn't he grab a year of prep school? Cannot remember, but that's a player who let's face it has one non-coachable attribute - height - that really helps...

Again - for those taking this route - be realistic with your son's abilities. I 100% agree you have a number of AAU programs that tout (or use) that they've sent "X" number of players off to prep or college, but that's how they can attract the better players to their program. I cannot fault them for that as they too have to remain viable.

It does seem in recent years there's been a number of athletes (perhaps more noticeable in hoops) that have gone the prep route and have returned for one reason or another. Interesting read on Trevon's main reason for returning (but I'll let everyone form their own opinion on that). It I think is exhibit #1 as to how these schools get you there and then hope to keep you just because of one thing. Good for him for realizing there was more to it than basketball. Whether Memorial is competitive this year still remains to be seen - right? Do they really have all their players back? No one "transferred" away to another HS in town? Everyone's "eligible"? Again the realities of HS basketball and seemingly moreso in recent years at least for Memorial where for one reason or another the team hasn't done as well as expected, hoped, or hyped.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Hooper Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:19 pm

I would agree with everything you just said JAF.

I would add that all these players coming back from prep are realizing that where they wind up in the big picture of college basketball has nothing to do with it being a NEPSAC or NHIAA school and everything to do with how good they are as an individual.

Rumor is Pat W has an offer on the table from St A, and SNHU. It may change after a year at prep, but isn't that because he is a year older and stronger. Will Bret H get an offer after this year because he's at Tilton? Would it have been different had he stayed won another title and then gone prep? Some of the stuff you hear in terms of "interest" and "offers" is just AAU coaches beating there chests (and stretching truths). It's causing kids to make bad decisions and hurting themselves and the game.

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  dj5hoop Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:18 pm

Improvement is about being challenged and pushed by better players on a daily basis. Prep schools have a tremendous advantage in this respect which is why some of the top players in NH are looking to take that next step. You don't get better playing against and dominating inferior players. At prep school, the athletes lift and work on their game six days a week when out of season. The other huge advantage of prep school is exposure. Coaches from all over the country attend open gyms on a daily basis in the fall. Some of these players may not get the scholarship they were hoping for and some of them will. No doubt it is a financial risk. Hopefully players and parents take all factors into account and make a decision which is best for the player and their family.

dj5hoop
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

NHIAA vs NEPSAC Empty Bell's are back at Bishop Brady

Post  Hooper Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:28 am

Looks like more young men are realizing it's better in the NHIAA.

Glad for these two young men to have the courage to come home (as did Trevon)

The level of play is better in the NEPSAC, there's no doubt. But the experience the kids have???

I would love to ask some of the young men that went prep as they walk off the court at then end of this year if it was a better experience than the previous year? (Brett H?)

Hard to believe they are the hands on favorite, but they will definitely have a shot (West has looked really good this Fall and brings much back from last year, D1 tested, Motu is one of a few POY candidates)

Hooper
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:16 am

Yup, the Bell Brothers will definitely make Brady one of the Elite in D2 along with Portsmouth and Lebanon.

Quite frankly, I've never heard of some of these prep schools. With the cost of college being so high I get the feeling a lot of AAU programs and prep schools entice a lot of parents and players to drink the kool aid with promises of college scholarships if they go prep for a couple of years. I would love to see the percentages of how many players who go prep, strictly from NH and what scholarships they receive.

I think it would be eye opening.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Fri Oct 31, 2014 11:15 am

I agree 100% T&F

If the AAU/Prep coach isn't giving you a 100% money back guarantee, then it's probably too good to be true. Parents and players *really* need to do their own research as it'll be far more worth it in the end. In the end I hear all too often of the parents who say fool me once, shame on you, but you won't fool me the second time because now I know better.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down