New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

BG-Dover Girls

5 posters

Go down

BG-Dover Girls Empty BG-Dover Girls

Post  dadncoach Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:28 pm

Anyone with any insight as to what happened in Dover? A team going from scoring 12 points in one game to beating the Defending Champs...Upset of year, in any sport, to say the least....

dadncoach
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

BG-Dover Girls Empty Re: BG-Dover Girls

Post  Tuesday and Friday Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:33 pm

I'm still looking at newspapers and online outlets to make sure this isn't a "Dewey Defeats Truman" thing taking place.

If I had to venture a guess I would say:

1) BG shot very poorly, probably high 20 to low 30 percent.

2) Dover played a very disciplined offensive game and took at least 30 to 45 seconds on each offensive possession to tire and frustrate BG defensively.

3) 1 or 2 of BG's starters had to be in early foul trouble...... Green, Sherburne or both.

4) Wake up call for BG and I wouldn't be surprised to see them run the table and go undefeated the rest of the way in regular and playoff season.

How did I do with my venturing, NH Ram Fan?

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  NHhoops Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:58 am

I heard Hazelton had the first team on the bench most of the first half. Looks like he was trying to send a message to his starters, but it cost him a victory. Should be interesting to see how the BG girls respond.

NHhoops
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

BG-Dover Girls Empty BG Dover Girls Game

Post  NHRamFan Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:09 am

You were pretty much right on! Are you sure you weren't there? BG laid a farmer's dozen eggs..anything that could go amiss, did go amiss. Shot horrifically - under 30% as a team; this will Green going 10-16 from the field. Subtract her out and the rest of the team was under 10%. Coach Hazelton wasn't happy with the play of most of his starters - benched them early in lieu of subs. The subs seemed to be playing a bit tentative resulting in quite a few turnovers - and no real challenge of Dover's defense. Dover was patient on offense setting multiple screens each possession. They weren't much more successful than BG from the field, but managed to go up 22-16 at the half. Meanwhile - BG committed a lot of loose ball, reach in and "late to help" fouls....Kerutis was the only player who fouled out, but Hayner had 4 including a key intentional foul late in the game and Dover was in the bonus early each half.
Despite all of this, Green (18 of her 22 points in the second half) put BG on her back and got them to their only lead of the game - 41-40 with under a minute to go. Then it got weird. BG got a stop, then instead of working the ball and killing clock to force Dover to foul, BG took a very quick 3 pointer...Dover got the rebound. As they started their break Hayner was called for the intentional. (No editorial here - I was screened off from the infraction so I have no idea of the veracity of the call), Two free throws and then a basket and Dover is up 3 with about 26 seconds to go.
BG calls two time outs to set up a play....work it for a shot and another long miss...Dover player rebounds and falls to the floor. Travel call. Now 11.6 seconds on the clock. BG STILL with a chance to tie and escape. Hazelton drew up a nice inbounds play resulting in Hayner, Gibbs and Parkinson all moving to the 3 point arc. Unfortunately, Hayner's shot was way off (a very uncharacteristic 0-10 from the 3 point line for her); Dover rebound; foul; free throws; game over.

I agree that this will be a huge wake up call for BG. I expect them to play with a focus and purpose that will be scary from here on out. As one parent said to me today: "I wouldn't want to be Exeter Thursday night."

NHRamFan

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

BG-Dover Girls Empty BG Dover Girls Game

Post  NHRamFan Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:13 am

NHHoops - You would have to ask Coach Hazelton if his intent was to send a message; it definitely seemed that way from the cheap seats. However, even when the starters re-entered, playing collectively for just about every minute of the second half, the die had been cast.
BG continued to miss shots; foul and commit turnovers. Dover continued with their patience on offense, hitting key shots and free throws and except for the 1 point deficit late, held onto the lead.

I hear BG had a very intense practice tonight. Will let y'all know how it pans out Thursday night....

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:25 am

Well, it looks like the Lady Cardinals have learned a valuable lesson:

Press clippings, publicity and hype have a very poor winning percentage when asked to play the games. I have yet to see the afore mentioned three things ever win a championship. It is still nice to see the players have to do it on the court with focus, hard work and execution.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad Thu Dec 20, 2012 10:34 am

Exeter could certainly make it an interesting game. They are 3-0 and have not allowed more than 37 points in a game, including limiting Dover to 12 last week.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  dadncoach Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:53 am

Great feedback people, that's why I love this place. Good information you cannot find in the general media.

All due respect to Exeter (and Dover), they have not played anyone yet. In fact, I would hate to be them, going to Nashua after BG coughed up the furball. Hope I am wrong, but I am sure we will see the effects of Hazelton getting his point across.

dadncoach
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down