@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Feb. 7th Games

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Feb. 7th Games - Page 3 Empty Re: Feb. 7th Games

Post  SeacoastDad on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:10 am

Souhegan girls beat Oyster River 28-24. Did they stop playing at halftime?

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:13 am

Looks like somebody held the ball, SeacoastDad.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  NHSports11 on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:31 am

Game of the night in Salem.

One thing learned about both Manchester West and Salem, they both are as advertised.

West seemed to be running up and down the floor all night, while Salem did everything they could to swing the ball around looking for the perfect shot. Whether that took them a minute or more, they did it whenever they had possession of the ball.

Without Ben Slepian, the Blue Devils would have lost this game by 10+ points. He accounted for 27 points, leading the team by a wide margin. He hit 7 three pointers, the last one being the being the dagger to put the Blue Knights away with about a minute remaining.

On the other side, it was the Aaron Martin show. He started the game hot, coming out of the gate with 11 first quarter points, but tapered off as he soon was double teamed and even triple teamed at some points. He ended up scoring only one more point until about midway through the third quarter when those double teams did not stop him. He finished with 25 points on the night.

The first quarter seemed like Salem would control the game from the start. West was turning the ball over every time they came down the court. And then after the first was over, Coach Danny Bryson somehow found a way to wake them up, as West outscored Salem 15-9 in the second to cut the halftime deficit to one due to sloppy ball control. The third quarter seemed as bad, if not worse for the Blue Knights as the first quarter was. Turnover after turnover, terrible shot selection, and Slepian drilling multiple three's put Salem out in front by 8. Then it was West again, waking up. The fourth quarter was back and forth. I counted 7 lead changes in the final four minutes. With about a minute to go West's point guard Travis Descoteaux (8 points) missed a wide open layup to give them a two point lead. That's when Slepian hit a three to give Salem a 3 point lead 54-51. That's when West went back to their game plan against Concord last Friday and set high screens for Nolan Flynn (10 points), the soft shooting sophomore, and he was fouled on a crucial three point attempt. At the line he hit two of three, cutting the lead to one. With about thirty second to go Descoteaux got called with a reaching foul, sending Salem's point guard Klecan (15 points) to the line. He knocked down both free throws and gave Salem the 56-53 lead. Jocarl Bureau (13 points) took the ball up and quickly dished it to Carl Jaques (19 points) who hit the game tying three and sent the game to overtime number one.

The first overtime was back and forth, with both teams swapping leads and tying the game back up again. The final thirty seconds was hectic though, as Descoteaux missed ANOTHER wide open layup in transition, keeping the game tied at 69. Salem held for the last shot but was way off from beyond the arc.

The second overtime was essentially all Salem. It started out with Slepian hitting a three giving the quiet and small student section something to roar about. Salem showed the toughness they were known for. They forced a couple of crucial turnovers, hit their free throws, and West had no answer as they looked exhausted and out of options. I commend both teams for putting on an absolute show and I am going to put it out there now. Whoever gets either of these teams in the playoffs, watch out.

This win for Salem was a huge character win, solidifying the fact they do belong in the top four and have a very good chance of going to Durham this year. West, despite the loss, knows they had many chances to win this game. Will they learn from their mistakes? If they do, they will be one of the toughest teams to beat in division one. If not, they will have to hope Martin carries them on his back.

Like I was always told, a high school basketball game is 32 minutes, not 16. Play all 32 like it's your last and you will always have the best chance of winning.

Final score:
Salem 84 - Manchester West 79

NHSports11
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  SeacoastDad on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:33 am

Tuesday and Friday wrote:Looks like somebody held the ball, SeacoastDad.

Could be that OR felt that was their only chance.

SeacoastDad
All-State
All-State

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:50 am

Good report NHsports11.

I just knew this game was going to live up to the hype. I still can't believe Salem gave up 79 points and won !!

I don't want to get ahead of myself, but what the heck, I will. I think this West - Salem game featured 2 of the leading candidates for Coach of the Year in D1 boys. If the season ended today my top 3 candidates would be:

1) Rob McLaughlin - Salem

2) Dan Bryson - West

3) Seth Garon - Alvirne

I think Coach McLaughlin is heads and heals over any body else. Salem was picked by most to finish around 10th place or even 11th to 12th. I had them 9th in my pre season posting. This is what I said about Salem:

9) Salem will fly under the radar, but will be another "Don't want to play them" team. I love Rob McLaughlin as a coach. He did some really nice things in his first season. Klecan and Salvo will form a very good and underrated backcourt. Ruffen, Dube and Hartman will be typical Blue Devil paint muscle. This Salem team will continue to test the physicality of teams.

I think every thing I said about Salem has come to fruition and even more so. Don't forget how Salem has lost some basketball players to the new Windham High. The job McLaughlin is doing so far this season is similar to the job Sam Carey did at West about 3 years ago when he won COY after West lost some good basketball players to the recently opened Bedford High. If Salem finishes in the top 5 you might as well start inscribing Rob McLaughlin on the COY trophy.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:03 am

I heard Memorial boys beat Winny by about 15.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhhoopsguy on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:41 am

Yes on the Winny-Memorial game.
Winny was up by two after one, got in foul trouble and no offense in second qtr, only scoring three!
Memorial was up 15 at half and kept it the rest of game.Coach mckenna was without starting forward Gareau, who was serving his 3rd game of a four game suspension.

nhhoopsguy
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 08, 2012 1:50 am

While on the subject of missing players. I didn't know it until tonight, but Alvirne senior point guard Sean Dunn missed the Salem game last week with a foot injury. Not to take any thing away from the tough Blue Devil club, but I'm sure that had a role in Alvirne losing by 18 to Salem.

Dunn did not start tonight and it was rumored that he wouldn't play, but he came in the 2nd quarter. He didn't look 100% in the stretches he played tonight. His shot didn't look right and he didn't have that extra quick step he normally has. He did hit 2 huge FTs at the end of the game to secure the Bronco victory.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  GNG on Wed Feb 08, 2012 9:08 am

Good luck trying to pick a final 4.

I think it would be easier to hack into the Pentagon then to try and handicap this thing.

The only thing we can count on is EVERY TEAM can be beaten.

Great slate of games last night and more on tap for Friday.

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  NHHoopsFan on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:15 pm

North crushed Pinkerton. They got out to a quick 10 point lead and Pinkerton was never in the game. North's guards were unstoppable. Patrikis was out with an ankle injury and it really showed. North got to the rim at will. They also played with a really good team chemistry. They communicated well on the floor, had some nice assists and seemed like a well gelled team. Not much offense from PA except for Light who put up his typical ~20.

NHHoopsFan
Junior Varsity
Junior Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:18 pm

NHHoopsFan wrote: Patrikis was out with an ankle injury and it really showed. North got to the rim at will.

After Patrikis having the foot injury which altered Pinkerton's season last year, this can't be a good quote to see.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum