New Hampshire Sports Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month
No user

Bloggers are people too.

+8
HaleyNHsports
JAF
EBlessNHSP
Jeremy Leveille
Tuesday and Friday
Tulliver
tarrier
GNG
12 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Bloggers are people too. - Page 2 Empty Re: Bloggers are people too.

Post  GNG Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:25 pm

It's been BLOGAMANIA around NH the last few days.

Way to go guys. Great stuff.

I thought Feb was a slow sports month.

Not if your a NH hs sports fan. cheers Basketball

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Thu Feb 09, 2012 5:28 pm

Hope Mr Thaler has been keeping up with the fast breaking developments on all these blogs with all these fine writers. If he isn't then he's missing something.

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:20 pm

Rumor has it the NH Sports Forum got a shout out on this mornings radio show with Thaler/Tarrier from our friend Mr. Haley. Thank you sir!
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Sun Feb 12, 2012 9:24 am

Very true Asst. Early in the show Dave was on to talk about the Keene coaching situation. He said he first found out about the Keene coach being fired on the NH Sports Forum. At the end of the show Pete and Marc talked about the NH Sports Forum. Pete said to Marc that the Forum has a lot of critical comments of Mr Thaler to which Mr Thaler replied that he knows and he can take the hits. Pete said there are "schneide" comments about Mr Thaler on the Forum.

Wow, I always thought of Mr Thaler and the Forum as being neighbors. Mr Thaler lives right next to the Hatfield Family while a lot of Forum members like myself and Jeremy Leveille live a couple of streets down right by the McCoy Family.

Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Laughing Razz Razz Razz Twisted Evil Laughing Twisted Evil Razz Razz Razz

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Sun Feb 12, 2012 10:30 am

T&F you're being too kind. While he didn't come right out and say it, he certainly danced around the did you do your due diligence in reporting on your blog question. I kind of thought it was a bit condescending, but probably comes from the "print" vs "blog" view point. Dave of course didn't take the bait and did his best to civilly reply to the query. Marc did give Dave props for the dig though - which must have been hard to do. Taking the phone call just prior to Dave's appearance from another former KHS head coach I believe really helped shine the light squarely in the administrations face. It'll be interesting to see if there's any other consequences or if the School Board will take the position that give this a few weeks and it'll die down so we don't have to do anything (again) about this. Whether comments found on Barstool are real or not - who knows - that's a bit more free form, but if the one comment from the player on the team is real, then I hope he doesn't get any "retribution" from it. Easy enough to come down on 15 or so kids and "demand" to know who put the comment in if you're in the administrative side of things.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Bloggers are people too. - Page 2 Empty are bloggers promoting for money

Post  nhsportparent Thu May 17, 2012 11:14 pm

New to this forum but have been observing for awhile. I sometimes wonder if some bloggers are promoting players for prep and aau in return for something. It seems to be that some AAU programs get a disproportionate amount of press on their blogs. I think that may be why people question the journalistic integrity. They have no rules and could be getting kickbacks or doing favors.

nhsportparent
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Fri May 18, 2012 1:08 am

I hope people are sharing if that is the case!!!! Maybe a NHSportsForum Billy's Sports Bar Night or Christmas party could be funded?!?!?!

Seriously though...I don't think that's happening.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Fri May 18, 2012 11:31 pm

Yes, I would love it too. I could use the extra $$$ for my children's college tuition. Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsportparent Sat May 19, 2012 10:55 pm

You all may just be parent's or fans interested in what people are talking about in youth sports but I think it's naive to not believe there is a money making component to this. Parents are paying a lot of money for kids to play travel sports and having a blogger speak about the local kids helps those programs for which they play get new players. In addition, I learned of one blog site from my son. Kids are reading this stuff, it's very important that the adults are careful to be respectul and realize that not only speaking out of turn about a child can be dangerous but also not speaking of kids who are reading these blogs can be dismissive of their accomplishments. I'm not necessarily speaking of this forum but others that are around. One's that try to rate children.

nhsportparent
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Sun May 20, 2012 8:57 am

Tread carefully.... I believe this topic started as a way to give kudos to a specific blogger/site for uncovering what some (most) perceived as an unjust firing of a HS basketball coach as a result of another blogger who also hosts a radio show and writes for a large NH paper saying on that show that in essence that blogger only types shouldn't be wholly trusted. Mainly because they don't have as much "issues" with slander due to "A" blogs having many people hiding behind fictitious names or pseudonyms and "B" free speech allowing people to say whatever they want. It does seem you want to turn this towards a specific blog site that you don't seem to agree with the slant and/or rankings. I think most of us "parents and fans" know which site you are referencing in NH at least. I will say the owner of that site reads this blog and from what I've seen has been very open to dialog and debate if you ask the right question and in the right frame of mind. At least that's my viewpoint. No, I have no relationship with the site, my child's name is not on the site, and other than saying hello on the sidelines I don't have a friendship with the owner. In the end to get some sort of scholarship for college, a coach isn't going to a specific site to determine which kid he should recruit. It sure helps to have a list, but if the player properly presents them self (contact, tapes, grades, visits, etc.), then it doesn't matter which team said said follows more closely and which players are ranked where.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsportparent Sun May 20, 2012 7:33 pm

This was a question I posed to determine if anyone has ever questioned the motives behind the bloggers and it was turned into a question of whether I was a disgruntled parent, which I'm not. Perhaps my last comment was too rambling. My intention was to focus on the site I was concerned by without naming names and without people thinking I was speaking about this forum. I firmly believe recent postings try to promote a certain AAU club and the amount of press in prior postings also seem to do the same. If I'm wrong the blogger is more than welcome to defend himself.

nhsportparent
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Sun May 20, 2012 9:59 pm

I guess I'm really confused. My word of caution comes from the viewpoint of wondering what the beef is. I personally could care less about what someone who owns a blog wants to write about and what slant they take. If I'm interested in what they have to write - I'll read. If it gets "out of hand" or becomes a constant ad for something I'm not interested in, then I stop reading. Far too many other more interesting things to do.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon May 21, 2012 12:43 am

Nhsportparent: I think you are off base insinuating Jeremy L is receiving "kickbacks" or "favors" for promoting certain prep players or AAU programs. There is NO ONE in this state who promotes players, teams, programs more than Jeremy. He does all this promoting for the benefit of the players and programs and not for the benefit of Jeremy.

You question his journalistic integrity. Again, you are totally off base. He logs more miles and logs more time watching these games in person. When it's sunny and 90 degrees in July, Jeremy is at SNHU or Rivier watching a triple or quad header of HS summer league. When it's a beautiful fall Sunday and every body else is picking apples and loading pumpkins in their cars, Jeremy is at Memorial or Rivier to watch multiple games in Fall League to get a feel for teams and players for the season. He knows his basketball and has consummate journalistic integrity.

You should do your self a favor some time and talk to Jeremy in person or on the phone about HS basketball. You will clearly experience Jeremy's love, passion and knowledge for the sport and you will come away a more knowledgeable HS basketball fan after talking to him.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsportparent Mon May 21, 2012 4:47 am

I'm not questioning his "love,passion or knowledge of the sport". I'm questioning whether bloggers are using there popularity/followers to promote AAU programs for profit. I agree with JAF, a blogger can do anything they want to promote players/programs. That's why they are bloggers and not journalists. They don't have journalistic integrity and to insinute they do is withful thinking not a requirement of the job. They can do anything they please without any rules. The original point to this topic.

nhsportparent
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF Mon May 21, 2012 8:38 am

If you have a site that receives ad revenue dollars, then sure there's the possibility that you receive money from programs you promote. Whether that happens for that site - I have no idea. Whether that's true for any site, I don't know and personally it doesn't reach my level of curiosity. I agree wholeheartedly with T&F on his response about Jeremy's enthusiasm and tireless pursuit to follow HS athletes in NH. In my opinion, to lump all bloggers into a category of not having journalistic integrity I think goes a bit too far. Again, if you want to read it, then do so; otherwise, avoid it. If bloggers did anything they wanted with impunity, then eventually they wouldn't have followers and thus lose ad dollars.

A few years ago Jeremy's site allowed anonymous responses to written blogs. Suffice to say some topics were hotter than others and quickly responses turned ugly. Jeremy decided (with I think is a huge amount of integrity) to cease anonymous postings and force usage of pseudonyms creatable via various outlets. In his decision and posting to readers, he said if he lost readership and followers he didn't care, because for him it was much more important to not turn discussions into what they had become. Some chose to leave, but the site still runs. Compare that to a few respected media outlets that had similar features - they chose to continue the allowance of anonymous input for years and only recently have they turned to account based responses. My assumption is they were fearful of lawsuits recently logged against and won by those that had been defamed on sites that allowed anonymous postings. Also, there are "journalists" out there that choose to ignore positive aspects or features, but rather they choose to write negative or provide less than glowing reports of teams and players. There's a certain fascination with not accentuating the positive that sells papers (sports, business, news, etc.). For sports writers many times it's far too statistic based - we want to know PPG, BAVG, WHIP, ERA, YPG, GAA, etc. All of the blog sites I follow will go a bit deeper and follow specific athletes even though they may not be the leader in any category. Blogs provide an important human interest element that's slowly being removed from newspapers.

I'm still confused over which team you believe could be providing kickbacks. Let's face it, NH is a small state and there are only a few AAU programs that can attract the talent it takes to compete nationally. Those programs will attract bloggers to cover them to promote those players as an indication that NH can produce the talent necessary to compete at the collegiate level (whether it's D1, D2, D3, JC, etc.). Are there other programs in NH - sure - but do they all have the staying power - probably not. It doesn't take much to create an AAU team - there's a small matter of a team certificate (there's a few different levels), coach/player registration & insurance, uniforms, get gym time somewhere and enter into tourneys. All of that costs money. AAU is big money and it doesn't guarantee you anything. Some programs are created "for the kids" and others are created "for profit". I've been on both sides. Of course this is a bit off topic...

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon May 21, 2012 8:43 am

To get to the original point of this topic:

Jeremy and the NHN does not profit from promoting AAU programs.

I find it offensive and wrong of you to question his journalistic integrity.

If you pursue this matter with your baseless and incorrect information and post on here about that, then those posts will be deleted.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsportparent Mon May 21, 2012 10:21 pm

I guess this topic must come to a close. I've been censored.

nhsportparent
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday Mon May 21, 2012 10:42 pm

Feel free to talk about the topic with credible talk and credible information.

Baseless accusations with no merit and no proof will be censored for you and any other Forum members that do the same thing. People who join our Forum to vent and with a personal axe to grind have a short rope.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsportparent Tue May 22, 2012 10:16 am

I thought this forum was suppose to be an open conversation about NH high school sports. If bloggers talking about high school sports are making money on the conversation then I think that is very applicable to this forum. I understand you are trying to protect a contributor to this forum and I am not trying to hurt him, I am trying to get the open and honest truth about what these types of sites of doing. Maybe there should be a disclosure on the sites about any affiliation or sponsors so people know.

nhsportparent
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue May 22, 2012 1:35 pm

I think nhsportsparents questions and qualms are probably things lots of parents, fans and readers think about all the time. I also think T&F is right, this is probably not the correct "forum" to publicilly voice your questions. I think you should interface with Jeremy yourself and I'm sure he'll be happy to give you the straight honest truth, that is who Jeremy is.

I personally will not comment since I am not Jeremy, or Roger Brown or any other Blogger/Journalist/Writer trying to make a living doing what they love.

What I do know...is that everybody is trying to make it in this business. Make a living doing what they love which is following sports, writing about sports and being involved in the NH sports scene. Everybody I know is doing it legitimately through sponsors, ad revenues and/or providing a service.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jeremy Leveille Tue May 22, 2012 2:10 pm

Ok, so I really didn't want to stoop down to the level of this misguided parent and dignify their comments with a response. But I figured I would comment just so they could see just how wrong they really are.

So last Friday someone calling themself 'Pdwmerrimack' attempted to post the following comment on my site:

"How much is the NE Crusaders giving you in kickbacks to promote their program"

They attempted to post this comment in response to my recap of the NE Crusaders SummerFest and NH Girls AAU State Tournament, which were both played the weekend of May 11-13. Obviously it's the same person who is posting this nonsense in this thread.

So let's see here, I give up my entire weekend to go and cover a couple of AAU tournaments to scout the local talent and give some exposure to NH girls basketball players and THIS is the comment someone has? I saw the comment, I started to laugh, and then I hit the delete button.

Pdwmerrimack, do you not realize that in that I recap in addition to the Crusaders I also talked about 2 different Shooting Stars teams, the GS Rockettes, the RI Lightning, the Lone Wolf, the Spartans, the Flames and the Rivals? Furthermore, in this article I also mentioned how Meghan Green and Katharine Fogarty had recently left the Crusaders to join the Rivals program. Do you think that if I was getting paid by the Crusaders that they would want me telling the whole world that the 2 best players in the entire program had left to join a different AAU team? Heck, there were some Crusader teams that were at that tournament I didn't even talk about at all in my write-up. I also mentioned in the article how the Rockettes looked like a better team early on than the Crusader White team they were playing against. Would I have said that if I was getting paid by the Crusaders?

Last Wednesday I also sent a text to Scott Hazelton asking if there is any tournaments coming up where I might be able to see his Rivals girls teams play in or if he had any game tape I could look at. Would I have done this if I was getting paid by the Crusaders? Of course not. A few weeks ago I covered a showcase that was run by the Rivals and Lady Panthers AAU programs. Some of the players I wrote about included Dina Pitsas, Megan Kerutis, Jamie Sherburne, Sandi Purcell, Gigi Piercy, Kayla Stacy and Veronica Moceri. Do any of these players play for the Crusaders? Nope.

Before releasing the Girls Class of 2015 rankings I watched four full game tapes of Phillips Exeter girls games from this past winter to get a fair evaluation of their standout freshman Courtney Henrich. I also watched one full game tape each for Nashua South, Fall Mountain and Northfield Mount Hermon to be able to evaluate Abby Hearn-Gordy, Morgan Ferland and Tayler White respectively. That'sover 7 hours of game film I sat there at my house and watched - NONE of those 4 girls play for the Crusaders!

Did you realize any of this, Pdwmerrimack? Of course you didn't. Well the next time you go around accussing people of things why don't you try knowing the facts first.

I have not taken any money from the Crusaders or any other AAU program. The idea is ludicous and I find it offensive that anyone would even think such a thing. My only agenda is to promote, recognize and give exposure to the hard working high school / prep school athletes from NH. Anyone who knows me personally knows that.

I have said it before and I'll say it again, if anyone ever has an issue with anyting I've written, covered, or how I run my site it is best to email me directly rather than putting it out here on this forum. My email can be found on my site.

Thank you.

Last edited by Jeremy Leveille on Tue May 22, 2012 5:07 pm; edited 4 times in total (Reason for editing : Can't allow the posting of email addresses.)

Jeremy Leveille
All-State
All-State

http://www.nhnotebook.com

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue May 22, 2012 2:22 pm

Jeremy's right. And Jeremy, if you request it I'll take this portion of the thread down. There's no reason it needs to be public. But if you want to leave it up to set the record straight, that's fine with me too.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsportparent Tue May 22, 2012 3:42 pm

Thank you for your response. I think you do yourself a service by defending yourself. I still think that full disclosure of any sponsers/affiiations on websites earning income would be a good practice so everyone could find this information.

nhsportparent
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP Tue May 22, 2012 4:13 pm

nhsportparent wrote:Thank you for your response. I think you do yourself a service by defending yourself. I still think that full disclosure of any sponsers/affiiations on websites earning income would be a good practice so everyone could find this information.

These aren't publicly traded companies we're talking about here...probably no need for that. There are thousands...no probably millions...of blogs out there, some that are for profit, some that aren't....I'd be surprised if more than 1% are disclosing their income. Just not required unless you're a public entity that uses taxpayer money to sponsor your efforts, or have shareholders involved.
EBlessNHSP
EBlessNHSP
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nhsportparent Tue May 22, 2012 4:24 pm

But the average blog isn't trying to have it both ways; the sports blogs seem to want to be treated as journalists. Along with that comes disclosure.

nhsportparent
Freshman
Freshman

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next