@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

Good Tiffany Ruffin Article

Go down

Good Tiffany Ruffin Article Empty Good Tiffany Ruffin Article

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Nov 12, 2009 9:24 am

Looks like ESPN has jumped on the bandwagon. They've got her ranked at 92 for this years Senior Class. She signs (signed?) her letter of intent this week to play for BC next year.

BC-bound Ruffin poised for national stage

I'm not too up on Girls hoop in NH - but is there ANY reason why Ruffin and Winny won't win it again?

Admin

http://nhsportspage.com/index.php

Back to top Go down

Good Tiffany Ruffin Article Empty Re: Good Tiffany Ruffin Article

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:11 pm

I'm not prone to making profound statements, but if anybody upset the Winny girls in the state tournament in March 2010, then, in my humble estimation, it would be the greatest upset in NH high school basketball in the last 35 years. It would be the greatest upset since the Don Beleski coached and Peter Reilly played Trinity team defeated Don Bosco in December of 1976 at Trinity. Don Bosco was the #3 ranked HS basketball team in the country. Don Bosco's 5 starters were all eventual D1 players and they had 3 subs that went on to play D1 and D2 ball. Peter Reilly, who did not go on to play college basketball, scored 36 points to lead the Pioneers to the iconic upset for Trinity. I think this puts into perspective the historical significance of Winny girls losing in the state playoffs, if they did and they won't.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 12, 2009 2:14 pm

To answer your question Asst., if the 5 starters for the Winny girls team are sick or injured and can't participate in the state playoffs, then this would be the only reason they would not win the state title in 2010.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Thu Nov 12, 2009 3:00 pm

Better question - if there's one regular season game I should see Winny play in this winter - who should it be against?

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Thu Nov 12, 2009 6:22 pm

Off the top of my head I would say Central, Trinity, Memorial and Pinkerton. I know these 4 teams have some key returning players from last year. Trinity took a hit when Karima Gabriel enrolled at a prep school down south. I'm being respectful when I say this, because at least with these 4 teams and maybe a couple of others like Nashua South etc., their games against Winny might be a game for 1 to 2 quarters and then Winny will pull away by 15 to 25 points. At least these games would be better than a 25 to 45 point spread which Winny will certainly have as a winning margin against 80% of the teams they will play this year. The only way Winny will lose in the regular season is if some team plays slow down and wins a 30 - 28 game. This is tough to do against Winny because they can score, which sets up their press and in the blink of an eye they go on a 8-0 or 12 - 2 run that spaces them out on the scoreboard. I'll bet more time outs are taken by Winny opponents in the first half than against any other team in the state. Teams try to stem the tide with 2, 3 and sometimes 4 TOs in the 1st half vs. Winny.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  NHRamFan on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:20 am

Don't discount Londonderry. They are athletic, and play a similar style (press and run). Not sure what Trinity has other than Marro and Theroux now that Gabriel is gone.

NHRamFan
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:24 am

Ram, you are right about Londonderry. They do like to pressure defensively and attack quickly on the offensive end. Any team with Coach Fagula coaching should be counted on to do some damage with a generous amount of wins during the regular season.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Sat Dec 05, 2009 10:32 am

After reading the pre-season article on girl's hoops in the UL yesterday it certainly is confirmed that Winny is heads, heels, knees, toes and miles above any other team in Class L this year. The Central coach, Mike Wenners, said to beat Winny, "they would have to play their worst game and your team would have to play a perfect game." In basketball lexicon it sounds like your team would have to be Big Daddy Massimino, Ed Pickney and Nova to GTown and Ewing circa 1985.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Sat Dec 05, 2009 3:39 pm

Speaking of scrimmages - Winny girls played York recently (who went 19-1 last year) and came out on top 47-40 in a interstate scrimmage.

Here's the write-up: Winnacunnet, York hope practice makes perfect

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:07 am

Winny girls are down in Orlando Florida this year for the KCA Holiday Basketball Tournament. They're playing national competition. Coach Beattie wanted his team in the best division, and he got it. They just won their opening round game over Miami, FL 66-30.

Should be interesting to see how they fare as the tournament progresses.

Winny Girls play at KCA Holiday Tournament in Orlando

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  EBlessNHSP on Wed Dec 30, 2009 9:24 am

Winny won again - to advance to the finals in the KCA Holiday Tournament in Orlando. Tiffany Ruffin had 23 and it sounds like their patented pressure defense is the key to their victories per the usual.

WHS girls basketball advances to Florida final

Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum