@nhsportspage Twitter Feed
Top posting users this month

BG Boys Dysfunction

Go down

BG Boys Dysfunction Empty BG Boys Dysfunction

Post  The Observer on Tue Jan 17, 2012 2:39 am

If Migs wants to right the ship he needs to change his starting five and sub rotation for a few games:

Old: Holler, Chartrand, Paul, Kesty, McCarthy (then Lunn, Boykin, Corbin, Toscano off bench)
New: Boykin, Chartrand, Kesty, Corbin, Lunn (then Paul, Toscano,Saremi, Beaulieu, and Lansing off the bench)

BG's is awful defensively this new lineup will give you players that will get tough and fight. But this group will also rebound on both ends. I am not saying completely bench McCarthy and Holler,

That is my viewpoint. My last comment is this BG team is the same as in their Fall and Summer league. In the Fall and Summer, this team had chemistry and played with a great tempo and won, and most important EVERYONE on the bench played (I understand that its offseason games everyone is supposed to play, but thats besides the point). Each kid brings an unique skill set to the team, and allows for the team to blend and gel........this is what BG lacks and what Migs needs to see.

I apologize for being so harsh or hypercritical, but as a BG alum I want this team to succeed. I know they are kids but this is the truth and it can NOT be sugarcoated and spoon fed to people any longer.

*** - Just for the record I think Migs is a great coach; my thoughts aren't an indictment on him.

Last edited by Tulliver on Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please refer to board guidelines or PM a Mod for clarification if that doesn't make clear things up.)

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

BG Boys Dysfunction Empty My observations

Post  GNG on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:32 am

BG will finish 9-9 if they are lucky.

This is what they have a shortage of. Teamwork, leadership, and heart.

I had one parent tell me Migs yells to much, he needs to coddle this group. I laughed at him. Migs isn't going to change. If anything he should yell MORE at this group. I told him this group has been coddled for way to long. Time to man up. I also told him Migs used to yell at Green alot, and Green is way better then your kid.

These kids just don't get it.

Last season seems light years away.

This season must seem like an eternity for Migs and Marty Edwards, and they are not even halfway thru it.

I am a BG fan and I am writing this. Imagine what people that don't like Guertin are saying.

Last edited by The Assistant on Mon Jan 30, 2012 12:25 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : There is no need to describe players in the way that it was done. It was basically namecalling.)

GNG
All-American
All-American

Back to top Go down

BG Boys Dysfunction Empty Re: BG Boys Dysfunction

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:50 am

I heard there wern't too many BG students at the C-Dome in attendance supporting the BG team.

One would read into this and say this says a lot.

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:52 am

It was a Tuesday night. Even last year there were many Tuesday nights with very few fans. Unlike many of their public school brethren, they get a ton of homework every night Shocked

From what I've read here - it seems like the issues I saw in the Spaulding game haven't been fixed - at least with respect to passes that lead to double turnovers. Some will say Jimmy's intensity makes the players play on eggshells and constantly look over their shoulder to see if he's ticked off and/or if there's someone at the table ready to replace them. What can be missed by those folks is that during practice they may run something 10, 20, 100 times to get/force a specific result or movement - when someone in a game decides or forgets their role in a play it's infuriating to a coach. Think pass and cut - a very simple basketball move, right? How many times has a pass been made and you eventually hear Jimmy scream "will you cut?". Without the cut, the overload is on the wrong side and the receiver of the pass may be quickly double teamed. Then there's the 30 seconds to go in a quarter and Jimmy says move the ball, play for one shot. Invariably "someone" receives the ball with what he believes is a good look and shoots. If he makes it, well OK, but still not good if there's more than a few seconds left. If that shot is missed with 10 seconds left and the other team now goes down and scores that's a potential 4 point swing. What was the margin of victory last night? Two of the four losses have been by less than 4 points.

I get the screaming - he's been doing it as long as I've seen him out there. As mad as he appears to be, when he does pull you he will go back to you and attempt to explain/teach what the issue is/was. Rarely is anyone ever benched for the remainder of the game. As for the palms up reaction by players - it's not something new this year, but it is overlooked when the team does well or is winning. The difference with this years team that I see is that the "pure scorers" don't exist. BG has to work for every basket and there isn't a McClung, Green, St.Lawrence, etc. to bail them out. Holler doesn't seem to be able to get in any sort of offensive rhythm. Kesty works hard, but can be streaky. JoeMAC is challenged on the perimeter much more so than the first few games - he's more of a straight up shooter rather the receive'n'shoot off a pick. Lunn is a quality inside player, but when your opponent outweighs you by 50 it's a long night. BG needs a big floor and room to run - if the opponent limits those opportunities, then it's a struggle. Three of their next four are against tough competition - go 1-3 and the road to Durham will be entirely on the road. Go 3-1 and they're right back into the thick of things in this parity driven division.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

Post  Tuesday and Friday on Wed Jan 25, 2012 2:34 pm

"It was a Tuesday night. Even last year there were many Tuesday nights with very few fans. Unlike many of their public school brethren, they get a ton of homework every night"

JAF

To be perfectly frank, the 2011-2012 BG team hasn't had very good support on non-homework nights either. Wink

Tuesday and Friday

Back to top Go down

BG Boys Dysfunction Empty Be concerned but don't panic---yet

Post  rwvogeley on Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:54 pm

To say BG has been underachieving is to state the obvious. There is still plenty of talent on this team and with a few adjustments they can and will be a ten seediknthe tournament that you do not want to face. If they make the wrong or no changes it could be a one and done tournament.
Twenty a seven turnovers. Seems to be a problem in the back court. Why not on a fastbreak, stop at the line and look to see the wingmen first instead of barrelling downthe lane and causing either a bad ;shot or a TO.
They need a half court offense with down screens that could get Lunn the ball. He has been their most productive player this year ;from what I have seen. Down screens could also help Holler ge his shot off. He is struggling offensively trying to go one on one. He cannot break a player down. He can shoot and this would make him a factor.
No fouling after a three point attempt. This is as good as a turnover.
Have a low post presence in your offense.
Who can match up with Lunn and Mcarthy. Run Kesty off of the baseline screens.
Need aggressiveness on the boards. Bring in the Bruise .Brothers Saremi and Number 20.
Increase tem;po with Boykins and TOscano.

The pieces are there just put them a situation to win. And also stop allthe yelling and trashtalking.
Looking foward to the playoffs

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:38 am

BG has played better, and when I say "better" I mean winning. But this team gets up for "big" games and thinks that they will just run over teams in the state. As they have shown they can't and must try every night.

But as i have said BG will won if they play there bench. Each player brings something to the table as rwogeley has observed.

We will know that BG is back when the turnovers decrease and they play defense.

@JAF the attendance at BG games will be about the same throughout the season because the dynamic of the senior class in the school is vastly different than last year. Just an observation.

BOLD PREDICTION: BG beats Trinity tomorrow night (if the game isn't cancelled due to weather)

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  JAF on Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:35 am

The attendance issue makes me wonder what happened to the Varsity Club... My comment about homework was I hope taken as purely tongue-in-cheek. tongue To say it's a senior class dynamic means perhaps a junior should step up... Having seen both of my older boys try to get their classmates to games, I know it's not easy. And no one can/should say it's a private school, travel thing - just look at the Trinity student section tonight for an example of athletic supporters Razz

I agree about the various pieces/parts that exist on this team, unfortunately though right now they aren't playing together as much as they need to every game. Every game is a big game - as Exeter proved on any given night another D1 team can win. Although we handily beat Londonderry early on, look at their results lately - they've been playing everyone tough. You are only as good as your last game and how you are performing in the current game. I think the Exeter game showed that the lack of practice around mid-terms caused some rust. Beating Memorial was a good win and something they needed after losing a couple of close ones. As long as they can keep the distractions and drama to a minimum, they should be able to finish well this season. Tonight is going to be a very difficult game, it's a road test in a gym that is not easy to play in and that has lots of home crowd support.

Coupla comments from rwvogeley's post... Post play - only one of the two you mentioned wants to be in the post - the other would prefer to beyond the arc hoisting 3's. I have been quite impressed with the post play from Lunn this year - I know that's something Jimmy said he was going to have Jeff work on over the summer. I agree that more board play is needed - tough to do much when a majority of possessions are 1-shot. Opponents have been slipping one of their guards down court hoping for a miss, knowing they can get the board, and then looking for the long outlet. Yes, they turn it over a few times. The key for BG will be to not turn it right back over. I like Saremi and Corbin (#20) too, but other teams feel they can play off of those two defensively. So unless whomever is being doubled can/will find either player for easy scores more than 2 times per game, then their play time will be limited. On fast breaks driving and dishing is a good idea generally; however, the dish cannot be at someone's feet nor can it be to someone that's trying to box out their opponent. I'd rather see a kick-out to a Holler or Kesty if it's there. Attack the basket, make your opponent commit or foul. Finally, fouling on 3 point attempts usually means you are late defensively. I'm shocked how many of those we give up per game, but how few we get.

JAF
Player of the Year
Player of the Year

Back to top Go down

BG Boys Dysfunction Empty BG Reply

Post  rwvogeley on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:29 am

I think that JAF really hits the nail on the head.Too many times a coach will run the same offense regardless of who his players are. You need to tailor your system to your talent not vice versa. I like Migs as a coach and a man, and fine tuning will rectify this situation.
You need a true point guard to run your offense--Boykins or Toscano and Paul if he isn't out with mono. This way passes will not be thrown at ankles or into the stands..
You can play the Bruise Brothers but not at the same time. Look at what West did with thier two bangers afainst BG. They are there to rebound, play defense and give their 5 fouls.Everyone needs to know their rolls.
Someone needs to convince Joe that he needs to be posting low because it can only increZse his effectiveness when he goes outside. Live by the jumpshot die by the jumpshot.
I feel confident that Migs and his staff can not only find the solutions
Best of luck the rest of the season.

Last edited by Tulliver on Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Please be respectful. Please refer to board guidelines or PM a Mod for clarification if that doesn't make clear things up.)

rwvogeley
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down

Post  The Observer on Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:45 pm

I got that wrong! Shocked

And so it goes on....

The Observer
Varsity
Varsity

Back to top Go down